Windy weather, is this no biggie?

Navin

Earning My Ears
My family of 4 is excited for our first visit to Aulani this weekend. The forecast says breezy with several of our days experiencing 15-20mph winds. :worried:

Is that windiness normal? Wondering if I should lower expectations about outdoor enjoyment, or if Aulani is sheltered such that this isn't a worry.

INavVTf.jpg

We found it notably breezier than what we were used to on every island we visited in Hawaii, with Maui being the worst. While the windward side (east) is generally noted for being windier, we found a constant breeze at Aulani. It did help manage warmer temperatures, though. I'd say its par for the course, if not maybe slightly breezier than usual.

Clearly you are not from Oklahoma. That is a normal day around here.

It might be slightly more windy than normal, but it sounds pretty normal. I don't think it will bother you. The only thing is if you rent a paddle board in the lagoon, it might be more difficult to steer. I found out those were a lot harder to control than I thought they would be.

We have year-round trade winds so it's normal to always have a breeze. 15-20 mph is pleasant on a sunny day and nothing out of the norm.

If you feel cold, just throw on a rashguard, keep your body underwater where you can't feel the wind, and have fun :)

15-20 mph is not bad and will be quite pleasant. When we went to Maui one January, the wind was between 55-75mph. We never returned to that island.

15-20 mph is not bad and will be quite pleasant. When we went to Maui one January, the wind was between 55-75mph. We never returned to that island.

We were in Maui in September and the wind was terrible, though not quite that intense! We noticed it when we arrived at the airport and made a comment to our shuttle driver who didn't even notice it. We stayed in Kaanapali area so we were hoping the wind would be less on that side, but it wasn't. Laying on the beach was impossible due to constant sand in our faces, and we got chilly laying by the pool in 80 degree weather because of the wind!

We were in Maui in September and the wind was terrible, though not quite that intense! We noticed it when we arrived at the airport and made a comment to our shuttle driver who didn't even notice it. We stayed in Kaanapali area so we were hoping the wind would be less on that side, but it wasn't. Laying on the beach was impossible due to constant sand in our faces, and we got chilly laying by the pool in 80 degree weather because of the wind!

Yep, the beach was off-limits but I'm more of a pool person anyway. We stayed in Wailea and the wind was the worst at night sitting outside at a restaurant at the Four Seasons. Very romantic setting but we ended up asking them to box up our meals because it was too miserable to enjoy the atmosphere. We went kayaking one day in the ocean and it was so windy that our group got separated from each other due to people getting blown all different directions. The blessing in disguise is that where we ended up, a whale popped up out of the ocean about 20 feet from us which was both terrifying and one of the best moments of my entire of life. I didn't even think I was into whales until that moment. It was indescribable. Had it not been windy, we would have been in a different spot in the ocean with the rest of our group.

Same with the others that were in Maui in September - aloha! We were also in Wailea and noticed that if you wanted to do a beach activity, like snorkeling, paddle boarding or kayaking, it was restricted to the morning before the winds got too bad. We didn't mind since we were new englanders and the winds felt nice with the 90 degree weather, but the water sports were the only thing we actively were impacted by,

I've been there when the winds have picked up and it is not bad at all. It makes it rather nice and the gusts usually don't last too long. It shouldn't be too bad in the pool area with the wind.

We were there last week. On a hot, sunny day, those winds felt amazing. When we were in the pool or ocean and some clouds covered the sun, those winds were kind of miserable. I wouldn't call it windy, more like "breezy."

Those are just normal trade winds... BUT if your at the pool or lazy river, the design of Aulani actually blocks a lot of the wind... you almost don't realize it till you get out on the beach.. If your going across the street to play golf, THERE you will feel it.....

The locals like trade winds better than do tourists. Inland on the larger islands, warm weather can get a bit damp and stuffy and forests can breed bugs. But trade winds keep the air moving and keep flying insects grounded. Each time we've visited, the breezes were brisk, especially at higher altitudes. But we quickly got used to this and find it pleasant rather than a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!