Winterizing Camper

Shellyb84

DIS Veteran
We bought our first travel trailer last March, so this will be our first winter with it. I wanted to ask the experts about winterizing. Do you put the rv antifreeze in the pipes or is draining all the water from the pipes enough? My dad has never done anything special to his TT and I don't believe he's ever had any problems. We live in Atlanta, GA, so we have a few hard freezes but not too many. Thanks!

I would definitely winterize there. Either blow out the pipes with an air compressor real well and put RV antifreeze down the drains. Or use your water pump to put RV antifreeze through the water pipes out the faucets into the drains.

This is my second trailer, and the last two winter we have blown out the water lines, and drained all we could. I also drop antifreeze in the traps. During these winters we have made the trip to Disney and had to de-winterize and re-winterize on the road and upon arriving home. Even if there is a hint of a freeze where you live, it is worth the few minutes to do it versus the cost if you don't.

And be sure to pull the plug and drain the water heater. And open the low point drains. And the outside shower if you have one.

I used to use the RV Anti-freeze in the water lines (as well as drains) but, at least for me, it leaves a nasty tasting residue when using the water. Even after sanitizing it with bleach water. It "Lessened" the taste but it's still there. This year, I decided to blow out the lines. Doing this made it CLEAR to me that it is NOT good enough to just "Drain" the tanks and open the valves. There is so much water left in the lines even after everything is drained that most folks don't realize.

So whether you blow out the lines or put anti-freeze in them (or both) you are better off doing it if you get winter with freezing temperatures. (I guess if you live in southern Florida this probably isn't a problem but here in NE Pennsylvania, it's definitely a concern.)

We also go to WDW and the fort after we winterized, so we have to "De-Winterize" it and "Re-Winterize" it upon return. It's a bit of a pain but I still go through the effort because it's much less of a pain then trying to replace the plumbing.

I used to use the RV Anti-freeze in the water lines (as well as drains) but, at least for me, it leaves a nasty tasting residue when using the water. Even after sanitizing it with bleach water. It "Lessened" the taste but it's still there. This year, I decided to blow out the lines. Doing this made it CLEAR to me that it is NOT good enough to just "Drain" the tanks and open the valves. There is so much water left in the lines even after everything is drained that most folks don't realize.

So whether you blow out the lines or put anti-freeze in them (or both) you are better off doing it if you get winter with freezing temperatures. (I guess if you live in southern Florida this probably isn't a problem but here in NE Pennsylvania, it's definitely a concern.)

We also go to WDW and the fort after we winterized, so we have to "De-Winterize" it and "Re-Winterize" it upon return. It's a bit of a pain but I still go through the effort because it's much less of a pain then trying to replace the plumbing.
Can't you just fill the lines up with Jack Daniel's or Crown Royal?

After a couple of glasses of "water" you won't care about the taste!

If the kids take a bath, would it be considered underage bathing?

If the kids take a bath, would it be considered underage bathing?
But I'd hate for it all to go to the Grey Water tank. Certainly wouldn't want it "Flush" the commode. (Well okay, maybe if it's Jack Daniels! :teeth: I am more of a Captain Morgan guy myself).

That, said, however, we could work on a separate tank to accommodate this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter