WISH Away the Pounds--Healthy Recipe Thread (new title)

Low carb chocolate truffles

4 tsp. cocoa powder (dark works nicely)

2 Tb. plain greek yogurt

5 +/- Tb. coconut flour

2 egg yolks

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2-3 packets of Splenda or equivalent sweetening power of xylitol

1 1/2 Tb. coconut oil

water as needed.

Extra cocoa powder for coating.

Mix everything together except for the water and "extra" cocoa powder. Add additional sweetener as desired for taste and coconut flour/water as needed to make a firm paste consistency.

Refrigerate until hard enough to roll into small balls. Coat candy balls with extra cocoa powder before serving.

FYI.... I've only made these once, so I can't say a lot about them, but I did make notes... hence the mention of "additional" sweetener, etc. ..............P

Slow Cooker Mulligatawny Soup Recipe

The Ingredients.
serves 6

2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is okay)

1 cup peeled and chopped apple (mine were fuji)

1 cup chopped carrots

1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes

1 tablespoon dried minced onion flake

1/4 cup raisins

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons curry

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

3 cups chicken broth

1/3 cup long grain white rice (to add later)

The Directions.
Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Put the chicken thighs into the
bottom of your cooker, and add apple, carrots, the whole
can of tomatoes, onion f lakes, and raisins. Then add the
lemon juice, spices, and broth. Stir to mix the spices.
Cover and cook on low f or 8-10 hours. If you'd like, shred
the chicken with two big forks, and stir in the uncooked
rice. Flip to high f or 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender. If
you live in a high altitude, the rice will take longer and you
might want to consider using instant or already cooked
rice---it's up to you.
Ladle into soup bowls.

That is the recipe as I found it on crockpot365.blogspot.com (great website by the way!).

Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone! My changes were actually fairly minimal.

I swapped out the chicken for lean boneless pork tenderloin and the chicken broth for homemade vegetable broth, due to DS's poultry allergy. I used a few TB of chopped sweet onion since I didn't have any dried minced onion. I also did not have a fresh lemon, so I used bottled. I went light on the curry powder because the type I have now is VERY spicy. I also added a bit of salt, since my homemade vegetable stock is salt-free. And of course, I used brown rice instead of white (ick).

I did NOT add the rice to the crockpot, since DH doesn't eat it. But I did include it with my portion and DS added it to his. It was a nice touch.

That being said, it DID technically make 6 servings.... 6 small-ish servings (without the rice) and the three of us finished the entire pot. It was just enough (DS had a big slab of bread with his). If DD were here it wouldn't really have been enough. And even though I am NOT a big meat eater, I didn't feel that this had enough meat (considering it is the only protein source in the soup). I will definitely add at least 50% more meat next time.

The apples cooked down enough to be virtually undetectable when eating it, although you could definitely see them. Not sure what DS thought they were, since he isn't really a fan of apples (although he likes my homemade applesauce). And he thought that the raisins were beans.... so I give him credit for eating them without complaining, since he isn't a big bean fan.

This could be made low carb without the rice and perhaps even without the raisins, although I thought they added some extra nice sweetness.

I started it late so I cooked it for 6 hours on high instead of 8-10 on low and it was just fine. The carrots had just enough bite left so that the soup had some real texture.

It sounds odd and it a weird mix of ingredients, but you might surprise yourself and enjoy this unusual recipe... especially if you are a fan of curry.............P

Lucy's Orange-Cranberry Chutney recipe:
1 medium orange
1/2 cup orange juice (from the orange)
1 lb. fresh cranberries
2 cups sugar
1 medium clove garlic, peeled
1/2 cup raisins (I use golden raisins)
1 whole stick cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 cup diced crystallized ginger
1/2 teaspoon liquid red pepper (Tabasco)
1 16 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained (I chop them up a bit)
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cut orange rind in slivers to make 1/4 cup. Combine slivered rind, orange juice, cranberries, sugar, raisins, ginger, curry powder, Tabasco, cinnamon & garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Continue to cook uncovered over moderate heat until cranberries pop open. Add oranges and chopped nuts. Heat thoroughly then remove from heat and allow to cool. Serve hot or cold as a condiment. Important: Discard cinnamon stick and garlic after cooking.

This will last in the refridgerator for several weeks, if you can make it last that long. I have it on everything from meat to sandwiches and even on toast. ;)

Single Serving low carb pizza crust

(can be double and poured into a large baking sheet for two or more servings!)

1/2 C almond flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 egg

1/3 C milk (whole or lowfat)

1 Tb. grated parmesan cheese

OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking pan or equivalent size round rimmed pizza pan or other baking sheet.

Combine almond flour, salt, parmesan cheese, and optional spices. In a small cup lightly beat the egg, add the milk and then stir to combine. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.

Pour batter into greased pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10-13 minutes (dough should be fully cooked by this point). You may want to check it after 5 minutes and poke a fork into any dough bubbles that are forming.

Remove from oven, top with pizza sauce, cheese, and other desired pizza toppings. Broil until cheese is melted and toppings are heated through.

That was the recipe as I created it yesterday. But here are a few changes I'm thinking of trying.....

after the crust is cooked, I am going to remove it from the pan and place it on a pre-heated pizza stone, top it , and then put it back in the oven to broil while on the hot stone. Hoping that will crisp up the crust a bit more. I may also try just POURING the batter directly onto cool stone and then baking it. Fingers crossed that it wouldn't just dribble right off the edges! :rotfl:

I may also try making a few par-baked crusts in advance for the freezer, so that DH can have them handy to use whenever he would like a pizza!

As far as carbs go, the almond flour is pretty low at 6 net carbs, the egg has .4, the parmesan cheese has .2, and the milk has 3.9. So the entire crust (without the optional ingredients) has 10.5 carbs. Not too bad for a "real" crust!! And I haven't tried it, but you could make it with cream instead of mik and probably reduce the carbs a bit more.

If you are on WW, this clocks in (with whole milk) at 13 PPV. Kind of high, considering there are no toppings on this yet.

**DISCLAIMER.... I'm having some oven issues right now and this cooked quicker than I thought it would (12 minutes) so if it takes LONGER for you, don't be shocked. I'm going to get my hands on an oven thermometer soon to check my oven.

HTH......................P

Single Serving low carb pizza crust

(can be double and poured into a large baking sheet for two or more servings!)

1/2 C almond flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 egg

1/3 C milk (whole or lowfat)

1 Tb. grated parmesan cheese

OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking pan or equivalent size round rimmed pizza pan or other baking sheet.

Combine almond flour, salt, parmesan cheese, and optional spices. In a small cup lightly beat the egg, add the milk and then stir to combine. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.

Pour batter into greased pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10-13 minutes (dough should be fully cooked by this point). You may want to check it after 5 minutes and poke a fork into any dough bubbles that are forming.

Remove from oven, top with pizza sauce, cheese, and other desired pizza toppings. Broil until cheese is melted and toppings are heated through.

That was the recipe as I created it yesterday. But here are a few changes I'm thinking of trying.....

after the crust is cooked, I am going to remove it from the pan and place it on a pre-heated pizza stone, top it , and then put it back in the oven to broil while on the hot stone. Hoping that will crisp up the crust a bit more. I may also try just POURING the batter directly onto cool stone and then baking it. Fingers crossed that it wouldn't just dribble right off the edges! :rotfl:

I may also try making a few par-baked crusts in advance for the freezer, so that DH can have them handy to use whenever he would like a pizza!

As far as carbs go, the almond flour is pretty low at 6 net carbs, the egg has .4, the parmesan cheese has .2, and the milk has 3.9. So the entire crust (without the optional ingredients) has 10.5 carbs. Not too bad for a "real" crust!! And I haven't tried it, but you could make it with cream instead of mik and probably reduce the carbs a bit more.

If you are on WW, this clocks in (with whole milk) at 13 PPV. Kind of high, considering there are no toppings on this yet.

**DISCLAIMER.... I'm having some oven issues right now and this cooked quicker than I thought it would (12 minutes) so if it takes LONGER for you, don't be shocked. I'm going to get my hands on an oven thermometer soon to check my oven.

HTH......................P

Pam this is the one I found but have not yet tried.. it doesn't have milk

Low carb, gluten free and DELICIOUS! Can't remember where I found this recipe, but it came from a Paleo site.

2 cups Almond Meal/Flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons Olive Oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 176° C (350° F). Combine all the ingredients and mix together. If the dough seems too wet, you can add a little more cheese or almond flour.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put the dough in the center. Top with a second sheet of parchment paper and roll out to your preferred thickness. {This dough is super sticky, so don’t forget the parchment paper!} Can be rolled out super thin to make a huge pizza.

Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Then add desired toppings and bake another 15 minutes or however you like it.

If you cut it as 8 servings it is as follows:

Cals 246
Carbs 5
Fat 21
Protein 10
Sodium 76
Sugar 1

someone also said they cut the dough ball into 4 balls and made personal size crust - baked them all, ate one and put 3 in the freezer.. Michelle

here is my Mac & Cheese recipe if anyone wants it :

it is NOT low fat.. but its GOOOOOOD

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup
1/2 soup can milk (I use 1%)
2 cups shredded cheddar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard - or a few good shakes
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups cooked and drained Elbows (I use dreamfields)
1 sleeve of crushed Ritz crackers (I have been using the everything ones lately YUM)
2 teaspoons butter, melted

Heat the oven to 400°F.

Stir the soup, shredded cheese, dry mustard, milk, black pepper in a sauce pan on low to melt the shredded cheese
Add the pasta tossing to coat then pour into a 1.5 quart casserole or 9x13.
Mix the cracker crumbs and butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the pasta mixture. We like an even crust on the whole M & C so sometimes more crackers are required
Bake for 20 minutes or until the pasta mixture is hot and bubbling

last night hubs had this with some french fried onions on top and said it was DELISH..

Super-Delicious Zuppa Toscana - Copied from All Recipes.

"This is an oh-so-good recipe. Just the right amount of spice to make you take a cold drink but definitely keep coming back for more! This soup is irresistible!"

1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage

1 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes

4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1 large onion, diced

1 tablespoon minced garlic

5 (13.75 ounce) cans chicken broth

6 potato, thinly sliced

1 cup heavy cream

1/4 bunch fresh spinach, tough stems removed

Directions :

1.Cook the Italian sausage and red pepper flakes in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2.Cook the bacon in the same Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain, leaving a few tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the bottom of the Dutch oven. Stir in the onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
3.Pour the chicken broth into the Dutch oven with the bacon and onion mixture; bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the heavy cream and the cooked sausage; heat through. Mix the spinach into the soup just before serving.

Nutrition
Calories 555 kcal
Carbohydrates 45.8 g
Cholesterol 99 mg
Fat 32.7 g
Fiber 5.6 g
Protein 19.8 g
Sodium 2391 mg

THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE SOUP! I made a few tweaks like just shaking in a few shake of red pepper flakes, using pre cooked bacon, using chunked potato and extra spinach..
I just made it last night with Macaroni vs. potatoes and LOVED it!
Enjoy :) Michelle

SUPER SIMPLE butternut squash soup

1 lb cooked butternut squash soup - approximately 2 small-medium squash (I cut mine in half, scooped out the seeds and roasted it in the skin in the oven at 400 degrees 45 minutes and then scooped it from the skin. )

1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped

1 large sweet apple, peeled, cored, and chopped

4 C fat free vegetable stock (or chicken stock or a combo)

1 C fat free milk

1 tsp. salt (more or less)

pinch black pepper

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

pinch cinnamon

pinch ground ginger

pinch coriander

OPTIONAL - maple syrup

Spray a large stock pot with PAM and saute the onions and apple over medium heat until softened and translucent (try to not let them get browned), about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the 4 C of stock and the prepared squash to the pot, and let simmer for approximately 15 minutes with the lid on. After that add all of the spices (start with the 1 tsp. of salt and add more as needed at the end) and carefully transfer hot soup in batches to a blender or hit with a stick blender directly in the pot until soup is smooth.

Stir in the cup of milk and heat on low until it is serving temperature. Add additional salt to taste.

Add optional maple syrup to each serving as desired. Remember that the maple syrup must be counted in your daily PointsPlus if you are doing WW Simple Start (2 tsp. = 1 pt.)

Makes 4 - 2 cup servings.

For those on WW the WW.com Recipe Builder (that crazy math-challenged thing) builds this out to be 3 PPV per serving when it is broken down to 4 servings, but the entire pot of soup is stated to be 10 PPV if you count it as just one serving.... and if you look at the PPV of individual ingredients (not including the syrup) the entire batch should only be 3 PPV! So count this as you wish!

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a cook or chef or even a recipe tester. I am just a simple home cook (and not a very good one) who likes to try to make tasty recipes that are healthy and light. And I have only made this recipe ONCE! I use homemade vegetable stock that is salt-free, so it is hard for me to guess how much salt your batch will need if it is made with store-bought stock, which is why I suggested starting with just 1 tsp. of salt.... mine definitely needed more like 3 tsp. And it is delicious as-is, but just a tiny splash of the maple syrup made this absolutely DEVINE! .......................P

Thought I would add one I made on NYE for a healthy "dipper" for my Oikos Greek Yogurt Dill dip.

Ideally you need to plan ahead for this one.

Zucchini Chips

Zucchini
Olive Oil ( I use my Misto)
salt & pepper

Slice the zucchini in uniform thin slices. Press between paper towels to dry. Lightly oil a cookie sheet with olive oil. I use a Silpat silicone mat for easy removal and clean up. Lay out the slices and very lightly mist with olive oil. Put a very light sprinkle of salt and pepper on them.

Place in a 250 degree oven for at least 2 hours. They should be crispy and lightly browned when done. Store in a tightly sealed container.

IF you don't allow enough time, like I did for NYE, to allow them to cook for 2+ hours then you can put them in the microwave. I put mine on a stone tray but I think you can put them on a plate. Cooking time will vary based on the power of your microwave. Mine took about 3 mins per batch. They were not as crispy as if I had put them in the oven but still good.

This really was a SUPER easy recipe. I used a mandolin to cut my zucchini and it took minutes to cut up 4 of them. Then I just worked in batches. It would have been easier if I had been able to put them in the oven but I just didn't have enough time. They were SO GOOD and I didn't feel I was missing out on the chips or crackers. I would think it would work well with carrots too.

Picked up a package of good looking Portobello Mushrooms today and had to figure out what to do with them. I found a bunch of great recipes but none were what I wanted to so I combined elements from all of them!

I don't have measurements because all of this was just "a little of this, a little of that". Depending on how many you are making and which ingredients you like more your amounts will vary!

LTS Baked Portobello Mushroom

1 large Portobello Mushroom cap-- remove stem and gills
Balsamic Salad Dressing ( I used Bolthouse)
Laughing Cow Light Garlic and Herb cheese wedge
cooked chicken (I had leftover rotisserie chicken)
light mozzarella cheese shredded
pesto ( I used a jarred pesto found with the spaghetti sauces)

Place the mushroom in a baking dish -inside up- and lightly brush with the Balsamic Salad Dressing. (you could also marinate it for more balsamic flavor) Lightly salt and pepper the mushroom. Spread the Laughing Cow cheese in a thin layer across the inside of the mushroom.

Finely chop the chicken and put in a bowl. Stir in a few spoons of pesto to taste and some of the mozzarella cheese and mix. Spoon this mixture into the mushroom and bake at 425 for about 15 minutes or until browned. You can also add some fresh parmesan cheese on top too.

If I wasn't eating low carb I would probably also add some Panko Bread crumbs to the chicken mixture and make a "topping" of panko and parmesan to cover the top.

Wow.... how is it that this poor thread has been neglected for so long!? I will post my newest "new" recipe when I get home today! Time for this thread to wake up and earn its keep! :lmao: ...............P

1 2 lb pork roast, trimmed of fat
1 white onion
1 bottle green chile verde salsa
cumin

Chop onion and place pork roast on top. Add salsa and a dash of cumin. Cook on low for 6 hours. Shred cooked pork in crockpot and serve with tortillas and your choice of condiments.

I found this recipe somewhere but when I googled it I couldn't find it again. It's so easy I can remember it.

Lisa... I'm finally getting around to trying this.... probably tomorrow. I was eyeing a bottle of the green salsa in my fridge, wondering why I EVER bought it. But now I've found a use for it!.............P

Chicken Rollatini with Spinach alla Parmigiana
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 stuffed breast • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 194.7 • Fat: 7 g • Protein: 24.2 g • Carb: 7.2 g • Fiber: 1.5 g

Ingredients:

8 thin chicken cutlets, 3 oz each
1/2 cup whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
6 tablespoons egg whites or egg beaters
5 oz frozen spinach, squeezed dry of any liquid
6 tbsp part skim ricotta cheese
6 oz part skim mozzarella (I used Polly-O)
olive oil non-stick spray (I use my Misto)
1 cup pomodoro sauce or your favorite marinara sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Wash and dry cutlets, season with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.

Combine breadcrumbs and 2 tbsp grated cheese in one bowl and 1/4 cup egg beaters or egg whites in another.
Shred or finely chop 1.5 oz of mozzarella cheese and combine with remaining grated cheese, spinach (make sure you squeeze it dry), 2 tbsp egg beaters, and ricotta cheese.

Lay chicken cutlets down on a working surface and spread 2 tbsp of spinach-cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down.

Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish (no toothpicks needed). Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spray with olive oil.

Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven, top with sauce then cheese.

Bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 more minutes. Serve with additional sauce on the side and grated cheese.

Here's the link to the original recipe......
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/chicken-rollatini-with-spinach-alla.html

And of COURSE, a few things I changed...;)

I didn't have any ricotta, so I used plain nonfat greek yogurt instead. I added a bit of garlic powder and italian seasoning to the filling as well. I also did not have frozen spinach, so I used chopped fresh baby spinach. The changes worked just fine.

I did NOT bread the portion I made for DH, to eliminate those extra carbs, but I did sprinkle it with a bit of grated parmesan.

I made these up to the breading stage on Sunday and then put them in the fridge. I pulled them out Monday evening, did the breading and baking that night. They were delicious and they held together well during the breading stage, possibly due to sitting overnight.

DH and I had leftovers for lunch the next day and we both agreed it tasted even better the next day!.....................P

Here is the original recipe, thanks to skinnytaste.com!

Cauliflower "Fried Rice"
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 4 • Size: heaping 1 1/3 cups • Old Points: 2 pt • Points+: 3 pts
Calories: 108 • Fat: 3 g • Carbs: 14 • Fiber: 6 • Protein: 9 g • Sugar: 1
Sodium: 868 mg • Cholesterol: 47 mg

1 medium head (about 24 oz) cauliflower, rinsed
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 egg whites
1 large egg
pinch of salt
cooking spray
1/2 small onion, diced fine
1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 scallions, diced, whites and greens separated
3 tbsp soy sauce, or more to taste (Tamari for Gluten Free)

Directions:

Remove the core and let the cauliflower dry completely. Coarsely chop into florets, then place half of the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice or couscous – don't over process or it will get mushy. Set aside and repeat with the remaining cauliflower.
Combine egg and egg whites in a small bowl and beat with a fork. Season with salt.

Heat a large saute pan or wok over medium heat and spray with oil. Add the eggs and cook, turning a few times until set; set aside.

Add the sesame oil and saute onions, scallion whites, peas and carrots and garlic about 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft.

Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the cauliflower "rice" to the saute pan along with soy sauce. Mix, cover and cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside. Add the egg then remove from heat and mix in scallion greens.

MY TWEAKS.........

I used two full heads of cauliflower and it was completely finished by three hungry adults! My food processor bowl isn't huge and I had to pulse it in very small batches so that it wouldn't end up blended into pulp. I used one whole egg and one white and a large sweet onion plus about 6 cloves of garlic. I did not have any scallions, so I skipped those, but I did add chopped bok choy. To me it isn't fried rice without the bok choy. I also used fresh carrots (about 4-5 large) that I had diced and then lightly steamed and about a cup of frozen peas that I had run under hot water. I was really trying to bulk up the veggies in this.

I was making such a large batch that I had to stir-fry all of the veggies and eggs, remove them from the pan, and then add the cauliflower/rice. I cooked my cauliflower/rice until it was crispy and brown in sections. I combined everything just at the end. I also added diced ham, since this was the only thing I was serving for dinner. I would personally prefer chicken, but can't use it for the family because of DS's poultry allergy.

I did use the sesame oil because it adds so much taste. And of course, soy sauce (full sodium, since that isn't an issue for us).

My men knew it wasn't really rice, but no one questioned it and it was nearly gone before I divulged just exactly what they were eating.

Honestly, I can't WAIT to make this again!! I love fried rice and have really missed having it more often! ..............................P

Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Salsa from Family Circle

Rate and Comment Makes: 5 servings Yield: servings Prep 15 mins Grill 24 mins
Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Nutrition Facts
Servings Per Recipe 5
Amount Per Serving
cal.(kcal)472
Fat, total(g)18
chol.(mg)79
sat. fat(g)3
carb.(g)45
fiber(g)11
pro.(g)37
sodium(mg)469
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Ingredients
2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon peel plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 pkg (24 oz) Perdue Perfect Portions boneless chicken breasts or 5 small chicken breast halves (4 to 5 oz each)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 peeled and cored pineapple, cut into 6 wedges
2 avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
1/2 small red onion, minced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
10 corn tortillas, warmed
Directions
1. Heat grill to medium-high. In a small bowl, combine lemon peel, garlic, coriander, 1/2 tsp of the salt, the cumin, black pepper and cayenne. Rub half onto both sides of chicken. Whisk lemon juice and olive oil into remaining rub and brush onto pineapple and avocados. Grill pineapple for 12 minutes, turning twice so all sides are nicely marked. Meanwhile, grill avocado halves, cut side down, for 3 minutes, until nicely marked. Transfer pineapple and avocado to a cutting board.
2. Grill chicken for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once. Meanwhile, dice pineapple and avocado and gently mix together with red onion, cilantro and remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
3. Divide pineapple salsa among 5 plates. Top with a chicken breast half and serve with 2 tortillas per plate.
Note:
4. Always choose firm-ripe avocados for grilling: Gently press near the stem end with your thumb; there should be some give, without being too soft. Look for skin that is dark green, almost black. If not yet ripe enough, store on the counter in a paper bag for 24 hours and test again.

This is on the list to try -- I'm posting it here so I can link to it on the WATP thread. I'll report back after we try it. :teeth:

Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Salsa from Family Circle

Rate and Comment Makes: 5 servings Yield: servings Prep 15 mins Grill 24 mins
Chicken and Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Nutrition Facts
Servings Per Recipe 5
Amount Per Serving
cal.(kcal)472
Fat, total(g)18
chol.(mg)79
sat. fat(g)3
carb.(g)45
fiber(g)11
pro.(g)37
sodium(mg)469
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Ingredients
2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon peel plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 pkg (24 oz) Perdue Perfect Portions boneless chicken breasts or 5 small chicken breast halves (4 to 5 oz each)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 peeled and cored pineapple, cut into 6 wedges
2 avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
1/2 small red onion, minced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
10 corn tortillas, warmed
Directions
1. Heat grill to medium-high. In a small bowl, combine lemon peel, garlic, coriander, 1/2 tsp of the salt, the cumin, black pepper and cayenne. Rub half onto both sides of chicken. Whisk lemon juice and olive oil into remaining rub and brush onto pineapple and avocados. Grill pineapple for 12 minutes, turning twice so all sides are nicely marked. Meanwhile, grill avocado halves, cut side down, for 3 minutes, until nicely marked. Transfer pineapple and avocado to a cutting board.
2. Grill chicken for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once. Meanwhile, dice pineapple and avocado and gently mix together with red onion, cilantro and remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
3. Divide pineapple salsa among 5 plates. Top with a chicken breast half and serve with 2 tortillas per plate.
Note:
4. Always choose firm-ripe avocados for grilling: Gently press near the stem end with your thumb; there should be some give, without being too soft. Look for skin that is dark green, almost black. If not yet ripe enough, store on the counter in a paper bag for 24 hours and test again.

This is on the list to try -- I'm posting it here so I can link to it on the WATP thread. I'll report back after we try it. :teeth:

I think I'll try this tonight!.................P

Here is a link to the original page........ gotta give credit where it is due!!!

http://www.brooklynsupper.net/2013/...ic-soup-with-caramelized-onions/#.VFJDsPnF97v

Here is just some plain text of the actual soup recipe......

Roasted cauliflower and garlic soup

1 large head cauliflower, cored and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
1 head garlic, broken into cloves, ends trimmed and smashed, with the papery skin left on
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 – 5 cups vegetable broth (see above)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Toss the cauliflower and garlic with the olive oil, zest, salt, and spices, and turn out onto a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and the edges are lightly browned.
When it’s cool enough to handle, peel the papery skin from the garlic.
Using your blender of choice, puree the roasted vegetables with the broth until smooth. Check salt levels and adjust as needed. To serve, heat over medium-low heat, stirring often, for 20 minutes.

Here are my changes:
(of course because you don't think I would ever actually just leave a recipe alone, do you???:rotfl: )

I found that making it with one garlic head and one cauliflower head plus 4-5 cups of stock/broth made a very watery soup without enough flavor. On my second attempt I tried using DOUBLE that amount of cauliflower and garlic..... but it was actually TOO much and my Vitamix wouldn't puree it... so I ended up adding more stock (probably about 6 +/- cups) to the 2 heads of each. It made a wonderfully thick creamy garlicy soup!!!!! And if you check the original recipe link, she tops her soup with sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions. We are onion fans here so I have taken the time to actually make a nice caramelized onion topping both times I've made this soup and it was well worth it! They take a long time to cook (I think I cooked them for 2 hours), but don't take a lot of tending since the heat is fairly low.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think that this soup would make a wonderful base for some sort of vegetable chowder, or with some cheese incorporated into it for extra flavor and protein.

I haven't had a lemon on hand either time I made it, so I haven't used the lemon zest, but I did add just a few drops of bottled lemon juice.

I served this with cheese and crackers for the men for the protein. I have roasted the cauliflower and garlic the day (or even two days) ahead when I had the oven on for other things and then just pureed everything cold and THEN warmed it through. Delish!!

If you don't use the olive oil, this is a 0 PPV soup!! But if you want to add the EVOO (and it does improve the flavor a bit), then be sure to count it as your healthy oils!!

ENJOY!! ....................P

Link to original recipe:

http://gabbysgfree.com/2012/02/meatless-monday-cinnamon-quinoa-bake/

Plain text of original recipe:

Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bake

Yields: 12 squares

2 ½ cups cooked quinoa, cooled

4 eggs, beaten

1/3 cup vanilla soy milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 Tbsp. cinnamon

1/3 cup maple syrup (note: you can leave this out, it just won’t be very sweet)

1. Preheat oven to 375F and place quinoa in a large mixing bowl. Line an 8×8 baking pan with lightly greased parchment.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, soy milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon until thoroughly combined. Add maple syrup, if using and whisk.

3. Add egg mixture to cooked and cooled quinoa. Stir with a large spoon to combine. Pour into baking dish and spread around to ensure that it’s even.

4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until set and golden.

5. Using parchment, remove bake from pan as soon as possible so that it doesn’t steam.

6. Cool completely and cut into squares. Serve with a dollop of nut butter.

And of COURSE.... my changes:

First time around I wanted it a bit sweet, but not with extra calories so I sweetened it a LITTLE BIT with xylitol.... but it wasn't really sweet enough. But it was good and it held together well enough to eat out of hand. I even tried putting it into the toaster oven to crisp it up a bit before putting a dab of PB2 on it.... yummy!

Second time I added diced apple and raisins plus 3 TB of maple syrup and 8 drops of liquid stevia. I think it is DEFINITELY sweet enough now. The apples made it much wetter and it took at least an additional 10 minutes of baking time. I left it in the pan a bit too long so it got a bit soggy and isn't holding together as well, but I ate it from a bowl with a spoon and it was still delicious! Maybe I added too much apple (about 1.5 large)?

I haven't run this through my WW recipe builder yet, so no PPV available yet. ...........................P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!