Wish Disney took Doctors Notes for DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branderson610

Mouseketeer
Hi all!
As a parent of a child with Autism. I wish Disney required a doctors note to get a DAS pass. I have seen people post tips and tricks to others on how to obtain a DAS pass via YouTube and other places. The same questions Cast Members ask guests to see if they qualify for DAS, in my opinion could be accessed through a doctors note without specifying the guests condition. Ex, the note could state, " This person has issues with standing in line" and leave it like that. Six flags requires such a note from a doctor, and six flags requires that it has the doctors name address,phone number and the doctors medical ID number on the note. I don't see why Disney doesn't do this. I think it would cut down on DAS fraud.

Doctors would be so happy to write all their patients notes though, IMO. Since DAS does little more than act as a very open FP+, people aren't really getting much benefit from "faking". Could you imagine how long the GS lines would be if CMs had to call every doctor from every guest who presented a note before giving out a DAS?

I think the big resign is that how would you know the dr saw the patient or the person how problems standing in line and it was not some dr going I can just write you a note since your broke your toe or the person that had the note did not fake it. There is just so much

mans just becuse you have a need for aDAS dose not mean you see a dr for it I use a das but have not seen a dr therapist for over 15 years

Doctors would be so happy to write all their patients notes though, IMO. Since DAS does little more than act as a very open FP+, people aren't really getting much benefit from "faking". Could you imagine how long the GS lines would be if CMs had to call every doctor from every guest who presented a note before giving out a DAS?

That's the problem DAS should not work as an open fast pass.Also, if you view the DAS pass as an open fast pass, don't you think others see it this way to take advantage of it. DAS should work for the intended purpose accommodating those with a disability. Six flags has a doctors note policy and I have never had issues with lines when getting one.

Last edited:

I think the big resign is that how would you know the dr saw the patient or the person how problems standing in line and it was not some dr going I can just write you a note since your broke your toe or the person that had the note did not fake it. There is just so much

mans just becuse you have a need for aDAS dose not mean you see a dr for it I use a das but have not seen a dr therapist for over 15 years
I am thinking more of conditions that fall under the Americans with Disabilities Rights Act. I think the DAS pass gets abused and I hope Disney makes changes to it eventually. To really serve those with qualifying conditions.

That's the problem DAS should not work as an open fast pass.Also, if you view the DAS pass as an open fast pass, don't you think others see it this way to take advantage of it. DAS should work for the intended purpose accommodating those with a disability. Six flags has a doctors note policy and I have never had issues with lines when getting one.

I am thinking more of conditions that fall under the Americans with Disabilities Rights Act. I think the DAS pass gets abused and I hope Disney makes changes to it eventually. To really serve those with qualifying conditions.
So then every one that has any type of mobility problem would get a DAS. I too think there is too much abuse with it cm are not asking for the guest concerns needs are they are not taking the time to really listion to guest to see if there is a need for one I think of this happens then a lot ( not all) would cut down on the abuse yes you would still have people scamming the system but I can assure you there are people like me that have not seen a dr in a number of years that need a DAS to just barely make it.
Well at lest one of my problems has gotten to the point of seeing a neurologist so if Disney every goes the needs a dr note I have this dr would write me one. There will never be a one size fits all there will be people that will find a way to scam would every systole disney puts in place and there will be people that truly need accommodation that do not get it.

Hi all!
As a parent of a child with Autism. I wish Disney required a doctors note to get a DAS pass. I have seen people post tips and tricks to others on how to obtain a DAS pass via YouTube and other places. The same questions Cast Members ask guests to see if they qualify for DAS, in my opinion could be accessed through a doctors note without specifying the guests condition. Ex, the note could state, " This person has issues with standing in line" and leave it like that. Six flags requires such a note from a doctor, and six flags requires that it has the doctors name address,phone number and the doctors medical ID number on the note. I don't see why Disney doesn't do this. I think it would cut down on DAS fraud.

Six Flags may require a doctor's note because they are essentially granting you a privilege they would otherwise charge you for It gets you something beyond what the basic admission gets you. This is essentially the same rational behind requiring a dr. note to get a handicap parking placard. The courts ruled that a premier parking spot has a cash value.

ADA rules prevent requiring proof of a disability to qualify for basic use of a business.

Disney's approach is to offer an accommodation that mitigates the handicap and gets the disabled person as close to the same experience as abled people get as possible. It's also logistically easier for WDW to manage it this way.

Honestly, the changes made in switching from GAC to DAS has made fraud much less of an issue. Add to that a pretty admirable job of making the queues mobility accessible.

So, if you are stating that, "ADA rules prevent requiring proof of a disability to qualify for basic use of a business." Then why do the Cast Members even ask why you need a DAS pass? The questions they need answers to could be answered in a doctor's note is all I am saying, without the naming of the disability.

So, if you are stating that, "ADA rules prevent requiring proof of a disability to qualify for basic use of a business." Then why do the Cast Members even ask why you need a DAS pass? The questions they need answers to could be answered in a doctor's note is all I am saying, without the naming of the disability.
While your doctor may be able to give a diagnosis, you are the expert in how your child's differences might impact his/her ability to equally access different areas of the park. Each of our kids is different in their sensitivities, and adaptive skill levels and what helps them. Start with what you know and the folks at customer service should be able to offer 1 or more accommodations that may help. You can try them an if they are not adequate then nothing stops you from going back to see what else might help.

You did not indicate your child's age but if you have been though the IEP process it might help to think if it as a light version of that. You describe his/her needs are and have a conversation of what is practical and effective to implement.

For many of our kids avoiding line crowding and appropriate seating at shows are the primary ones. If there are dietary sensitivities WDW is quite good at making adaptations. Our experience is that interactions with CM and characters are quite good if they are given a heads up of ASD and any triggers.

WDW is a great opportunity for our kids to stretch and grow. but it does take "work" on our part as parents that can not be delegated to others. Try to relax and look at it as a leaning experience for both you and your child and be flexible on schedule

All I am saying is that a doctors note should be used to help stop abuse of the system. I take offense to your post, I am the biggest advocate for my child. We can agree to disagree.
It was not intended that way I thought you were seeking a way to meet your child's need, but doctors notes do not stop the abuse either, people who feel entitled can easily find a doctor who will support that. The type of people who would abuse a system for individuals with disabilities will always find a way around any system.

Great to hear that you are a strong advocate, that is what our kids need

ADA has been based on self declaration for many reasons since the inception, with the burden of disproof being on the commercial entity.

All I am saying is that a doctors note should be used to help stop abuse of the system. I take offense to your post, I am the biggest advocate for my child. We can agree to disagree.
My old neurologist offered - I didn't ask - to write me a note. There is nothing about my epilepsy that indicates I need special accommodations. This was back in the GAC days, in the 90s, before there was widespread abuse.

Cast Members don't ask why you need a DAS.

They ask how having it will help you

There *is* a difference, and it is important.

If you can't explain how having the DAS benefits you, then the CM will not issue it.

If you try to tell the CM why you need a DAS (ie. "Because (fill in the blank person) has X condition") they will most likely reply by asking you *how* having the DAS will benefit you.

The sole purpose of the DAS is to allow you/your family member to wait the same amount of time outside the queue as if you had joined the queue for a ride or attraction, and shuffled through with everyone else. Disney graciously gives a 10 minute "grace" period (so your time to wait is the same as anyone else, less 10 minutes) but they don't have to do that; it's just a lovely, thoughtful thing they do because they know that some people take longer to move through the queue and/or board the ride.

It is NOT intended to be a special type of FP+ (although people do sometimes kind of use it as one)

It is NOT intended to be a FOTL (from of the line) pass. Those are only granted to Wish Kids, and folks with enough money to rent a Plaid for the day.

It is NOT intended to get anyone any sort of special treatment, other than the ability to wait your turn outside of the regular queue. It gives you, at most, a 10 minute advantage. Personally, I would rather use FP+ and skip the DAS entirely, since most of my needs are met by using a mobility device.

It is ONLY meant to allow you/your person to wait outside the regular line. If you have a mobility issue (can't stand, can't walk) that can be addressed with a mobility device, you will be directed to rent an ECV or wheelchair for that person, and you have the option to rent daily from Disney or from an outside Orlando vendor that will deliver it to you.

There are a *lot* of reasons why people can't wait in the regular queue. Please note: We are not going to discuss them here, because there are folks who might try to use one of those reasons to get a DAS that they don't really need. That's also one reason why "scripts" (where you tell someone exactly what to say to get a DAS) aren't allowed here either. No one here will give anyone else the magic words to say.

Bringing back the old days of doctors' notes, discussion of diagnoses and/or symptoms and/or disabilities is not going to happen because the DAS works better, whether you personally happen to like it or not. It's nothing personal - I get why some people think that bringing back all of those requirements would "fix" the situation, but it won't. It will, in fact, take us right back to the tail-end bad-old-days of the GAC when unethical people would "rent" disabled people in wheelchairs to get FOTL access for a day.

The number of doctors out there who still think that Disney theme parks will take a note to "make it easier for you" is startling. I have been making sure for years that all of my doctors know that those notes no longer work, and I make sure they have a good working knowledge of the DAS system as well. Several of our families doctors are HUGE Disney fans, and almost all of them visit a couple of times a year with their families. I have been known to encourage them to stop in at Guest Relations and learn about the DAS on their next trip so that they hear first hand what they need to know to tell their patients when they ask for the "Disney Doctor's Note".

The main thing to remember is that Disney *is* giving you an accommodation with the DAS. It may not be what you want, but it is what is offered. Disney doesn't have to give you what you want - they only have to make the accommodation of the DAS available to all who can describe *how* it will help them to be able to wait outside the line. If it is not right for you/your family member, then you don't have to use it; just use other methods of trip planning to make your days in the Parks work better.

Did you read my original post? What said accommodations are you stating that Disney isn't giving me, or that I am having a problem with? I have no problems with the DAS pass. I just wish Disney did more to stop people from abusing it. The main issue I have as, I stated in my original post. Is that I have seen other places and YouTube content where I have seen people coaching others how to get a DAS pass and wish more was done to stop that.

Last edited:
Did you read my original post? What said accommodations are you stating that Disney isn't giving me, or that I am having a problem with? I have no problems with the DAS pass. I just wish Disney did more to stop people from abusing it. The main issue I have as, I stated in my original post. Is that I have seen other places and YouTube content where I have seen people coaching others how to get a DAS pass and wish more was done to stop that.
I and I think other are trying to tell you that just because Disney start to ask for dr notes dose not mean abuse will stop. I have heard of people breaking a toe and there dr wrote them a note for speculation accommodation

there will always be dr that will write a note for anything there will always be people place that will issue fake notes. And sometimes dr are not the right people to write the notes someone with a B.S in social work might be best at writing a note for someone with SPD and they only have 4 years of college. Just becuse one theme park asks for a note dose not mean other should too. Like I said yes there is abuse there will always be abuse but I think you can stop just as much if CM asked what your concerns are for the lines.

I and I think other are trying to tell you that just because Disney start to ask for dr notes dose not mean abuse will stop. I have heard of people breaking a toe and there dr wrote them a note for speculation accommodation

there will always be dr that will write a note for anything there will always be people place that will issue fake notes. And sometimes dr are not the right people to write the notes someone with a B.S in social work might be best at writing a note for someone with SPD and they only have 4 years of college. Just becuse one theme park asks for a note dose not mean other should too. Like I said yes there is abuse there will always be abuse but I think you can stop just as much if CM asked what your concerns are for the lines.
Thank you for your logical response, instead of making assumptions or jumping to conclusions about what I was asking. I do agree with you not all doctors really should be able to write a note. I should have stated that in my post, the doctor I was thinking of is my daughter neurologist. However, I appreciate your response.

Last edited:
Hi all!

\
it wouldn't cut down..it would triple it. there is no end of unscrupulous doctors who would happily charge a small fee to write anything down.

the 'this person has issues with standing in line' is so vague as to be laughable. and really, how would a doctor know anyway? it's not like your GP interacts with the person in line at the grocery store or Disney. all they have to go by is what Mom and dad say.. and we all know that's biased beyond belief.

when requesting a DAS you don't mention the condition/diagnosis anyway.

I made the statement that "this person has issues standing in line," as a vague statement intentionally. I know the rules are you are not suppose to scipt how to ask for DAS pass on this board. Also, since you read my post this is one issue I have. People coaching others on what to say to get a DAS pass.

I have had the opportunity to converse with disney's disability team for the parks and experienced CMs have a good idea when guest are scripting or stretching issues for advantage they just do not have much they can do about it. They also know that there are many families that do not know how to ask so have their own "script" to help families express what the barriers are.

I do a lot of higher level advocacy with various entities and can say that Disney's disability team (located in CA} are very dedicated to equitable access

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter