Wishes wheelchair viewing

scroot

Mouseketeer
DW and I just returned from our trip and we had a great time.

When trying to discern the best place to view Wishes for dw in her chair I asked a cm at guest relations. He said that he didn't think there was a wheelchair viewing area and suggested we go to the middle of Main St. by the ice cream parlor. I figured even if we did that there would be someone standing right in front of here obstucting the view, probably with a child on his shoulders.

Here is what we did. We hung out by the flag pole until about five minutes before the show then I pushed her over to the statue of Roy and Minnie. You will recall there is a big planter right behind that scupture so no one could stand in front of her. It created a great buffer zone afforded a very nice view of the show for both of us.

I am interested in hearing what has worked for the rest of you.

We just stopped in the middle of main street near the hub and had a great view. Hubby sitting in his ECV said he could see just fine.

Carol

i stayed in an ecv near where tinker bell flies to get a good view of her. i seem to recall it was all looking up and there were lots of people but no problems. one lady with a kid on her shoulders did move aside when she saw my chair. i think most people wouldn't intentionally block your view if you're there already, and if an inconsiderate person does come by, others around you will probably see their rudeness and make room for you. at least, that's what i experienced at parades and such.

dj

The fireworks are very high in the sky, and it would take a very tall and very wide person to block your view by standing in front of you. The closer to the castle you are, the more likely the castle itself is to obstruct the view of the fireworks (this is especially true of the north half of the hub and the area directly in front of the castle forecourt stage).
That being said, a good spot for anyone, regardless of whether they're using a wheelchair or not, is the seating area near Casey's Corner. You may have to get there early, though, especially if there is a parade prior to Wishes.

The absolute best viewing for Wishes, unfortunately, is not in the Park and it costs money. A few weeks ago we went with a group of friends from out of town who had us included in their Grand Gathering.

There is a "Wishes" cruise which costs $30.00 per person (and is, IMHO, worth the money). The boat is accessible with a wc/ECV seating area for people who cannot transfer.

With the fireworks scheduled for 10:00, you attend a (wonderful) dessert buffet just off the Contemporary dock which starts at 8:30. Captain Hook and Mister Smee are there with you for meet and greet. Shortly after 9:00 you are asked to head for the boat. As you leave the buffet area, they give you a large (about 6" diameter) chocolate chip cookie so you won't starve on the boat.

The boat leaves the dock at 9:20. There is a "pirate" on the boat who jokes, tells (very) tall tales, and asks Disney questions and gives out prizes for correct answers. The boat first goes out into Bay Lake. The timing is such that it stops about 200 feet from the Electric Water Pageant and you get an excellant up-close view of the entire show with the music.

The the boat crosses the bridge into the Seven Seas Lagoon, goes past the Polynesian and Grand Floridian, and finally anchors on the park side of the island directly on the extended line of Main Street. The narration and music are piped in to the boats sound system. The view is unobstructed and you can see everything comfortably.

Aftetr the fireworks end, the boat then raises anchor, passes the Contemporary, and goes back over the bridge to the dock where it is met by Peter Pan. Al together, from start to finish, it is about two hours.

I just got back tonight from my trip. Darn I'm glad to be home to my own bed and bath but I can't wait till I'm back in WDW. :)

Anyway I use a wheelchair and had a great view from the rose garden that is to the right of the castle as you face the castle. I just roll up to the railing on the side closest to the fireworks and no one can step in front of me. This works fine for me but my chair is narrow enough so that I don't block the path.

when we viewed the fireworks didnt matter where we were, when trying to see the parade it was a fight:crowded: to get the wheelchair through but we were asked to come forward by an angel :angel: couple who had to make others feel guilty:guilty: to make room so she could see the electric parade. We leave in 1 week and hope our luck is with us then also.:jumping1:

I use an ECV at WDW. I watched Wishes last week from the left side of the Castle along a railing. It was a great spot to see the fireworks & the lights, shadows, designs on the Castle. I have also watched them from the middle of Main Street near Casey's - another great spot!

CheshireFigment, your Wishes cruise sounds wonderful! We did an Illuminations cruise last week for the first time, & it was wonderful, too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter