Wizarding World Touring Plans and Details

We just did one day both parks, with no express pass. It was tight (and a long day!), but totally doable. We didn't get to do everything, but were able to hit all of both HP areas and everything else we wanted to see (crowds were not bad though).

One thing that saved a lot of time was that we wandered Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade looking in the shops during the day, but went back to Diagon Alley after close. The shops were closed, but the lights in the windows are all on and the kids did all of the interactive spells then. Only a few people there, no waiting to get their turn, and most importantly, they didn't feel stressed if they needed to do it a few times to get it to work. It seemed like it was much harder to get the sensors to read the wand movement when there were a million other people standing around waving their wands at the sane time, and they felt pressured to get it to "work" immediately so others could have a turn.

This also helped us so we could avoid the mad crush of people leaving right at 8.

I don't understand this after close thing. Does WWHP close before the rest of the park? Otherwise don't they want you to leave? I'd totally take my kids after close to do the spells if possible.

at WDW, closing time means get out.
at US, closing time means (1) night time shows (like the cinematic, not shows the hp that are run multiple times, although usually there is one last show at or right after 'closing) (2) no new activities.....if you're in line, you'll still be allowed to do the ride. no new people can join the line. if you're eating, you can finish. you will not be asked to leave. you need to start making your way out of the parks. We've gotten great pictures (with few if any people) and been able to explore a bit. you are not rushed out.

at WDW, closing time means get out.
at US, closing time means (1) night time shows (like the cinematic, not shows the hp that are run multiple times, although usually there is one last show at or right after 'closing) (2) no new activities.....if you're in line, you'll still be allowed to do the ride. no new people can join the line. if you're eating, you can finish. you will not be asked to leave. you need to start making your way out of the parks. We've gotten great pictures (with few if any people) and been able to explore a bit. you are not rushed out.

So When we are going Universal closes at 9pm and IOA closes at 10pm. So you are saying we can finish riding, walk back to potter and cast spells and walk out at like 10:30 or 11pm assuming we were at IOA?

So When we are going Universal closes at 9pm and IOA closes at 10pm. So you are saying we can finish riding, walk back to potter and cast spells and walk out at like 10:30 or 11pm assuming we were at IOA?

I don't know about that, but if you arrive at diagon alley BY 10, you should be able to do the spells and head out. I think if you are walking INTO/DEEPER into the parks, they may not let you.

I don't know about that, but if you arrive at diagon alley BY 10, you should be able to do the spells and head out. I think if you are walking INTO/DEEPER into the parks, they may not let you.

And I will ASTERISK, BOLD, ITALIC this post with "This has been our experience" Yours may differ.

So basically like a ride then? If you are in before close, you should get to do it? I just don't want the kids or myself getting rushed when trying to do the wands.

So basically like a ride then? If you are in before close, you should get to do it? I just don't want the kids or myself getting rushed when trying to do the wands.

That's been our experience.

There are a LOT of locations and if all of you want to do all of the spells that could take a little bit. You may want to knock out some early in the day (like the ones in knockturn alley)

That's been our experience.

There are a LOT of locations and if all of you want to do all of the spells that could take a little bit. You may want to knock out some early in the day (like the ones in knockturn alley)

We are there for a week so we have lots of time.

We were there on day the park closed at 8, we were able to wander around diagonal alley for, I’d say, 1/2 hour/45 minutes and no one said anything to us. We were shopping right up until the stores closed, and we just stayed in the area. My daughter was able to do just about all the spells (including knockturn) in that time since there wasn’t a throng of people! It was a great and low key way to end a mother-daughter day :)

I am finding this thread super useful

We are planning to take my oldest daughter (9) to Universal for one day during our upcoming Orlando trip to do the Wizard World of Harry Potter stuff. Planning 1 day park-to-park (and technically to save money just my wife will take her while I take my younger two to another Disney Day).

The date we are targeting is August 29th which is rated as a Low Crowd day - both parks 4/10. Given that, how important is Express Pass? We are thinking of having them stay the night before at Cabana Bay so they are already on property and get the early access - but is it worth upgrading to a Deluxe resort to get Express Pass? (would be $319 vs $164)

Also, if there is anything else you see as a "must do" for first time visiting Harry Potter fans I would love to hear it!

I am finding this thread super useful

We are planning to take my oldest daughter (9) to Universal for one day during our upcoming Orlando trip to do the Wizard World of Harry Potter stuff. Planning 1 day park-to-park (and technically to save money just my wife will take her while I take my younger two to another Disney Day).

The date we are targeting is August 29th which is rated as a Low Crowd day - both parks 4/10. Given that, how important is Express Pass? We are thinking of having them stay the night before at Cabana Bay so they are already on property and get the early access - but is it worth upgrading to a Deluxe resort to get Express Pass? (would be $319 vs $164)

Also, if there is anything else you see as a "must do" for first time visiting Harry Potter fans I would love to hear it!

With the express pass, it's date, and park(s) specific, and no refund once purchased. Hence, I would purchase in park if you find you need it. It's sold everywhere. I would just uber or taxi over, at least 40 minutes before public opening. They may open the park a little early. Single rider, unless your DD won't do it, will help. The first hour or so of public opening time, is the best time to do the most crowded stuff. As for booking a one night, totally up to you as to worth. Must do- check out all the windows, neat things in some, go into both restaurants, even if don't eat there, great decor in there, can do a castle tour after riding, to really enjoy the castle without holding others up in the ride line. There's lots of online videos of the lands, check out some to see what your DD wants to do/see.

Oh, and my DD turns 17 that day, and we'll be in the parks that day too.

To add to the earlier discussion of doing spells after closing time I have had two different experiences. Almost every time I've been I've been able to continue walking around Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade after official close time. However one time I came off of Gringott's ride to find security guards blocking access to the main street where most of the spells are. We were routed down past the hopping pot and straight to the exit. There was nothing going on that I could see, we were just told the park was closed. I don't know if that was something special that night but if you only have one day in the park I would not wait to do spells and count on doing them after closing cause you never know.

Question about the wands. Ideally I want to kids to have the wands the entire time as they cost enough. LOL. If we drive up on Saturday morning and don't get to Diagon alley till afternoon or evening, will going to the wand shop be a huge hassle? Earliest we might get in the park is 10am or noon or so if wife comes. Potentially later in the evening if we go to the pool first.

The wand shop (Ollivanders) at Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade is usually full of people looking for wands. After the presentation (show) at Ollivanders everyone is let out into the shop. That being said. It just depends on how busy it is.

If you want them to have the wands when they enter the Potter Parks and start casting spells right away.......You can purchase interactive wands at the resort stores (except at RPR I did not see them there. They might have added them since), Universal store at CityWalk, the two large stores entering both parks on your left. These stores have the major characters and some minor ones too as well as some deatheater wands. Ollivanders has the largest selection of wands.

The wand shop (Ollivanders) at Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade is usually full of people looking for wands. After the presentation (show) at Ollivanders everyone is let out into the shop. That being said. It just depends on how busy it is.

If you want them to have the wands when they enter the Potter Parks and start casting spells right away.......You can purchase interactive wands at the resort stores (except at RPR I did not see them there. They might have added them since), Universal store at CityWalk, the two large stores entering both parks on your left. These stores have the major characters and some minor ones too as well as some deatheater wands. Ollivanders has the largest selection of wands.

Ideally they would want to see the show. I guess that's more of what I'm asking. Is it going to be insane to try to see the show during the day instead of early hours?

@robl45 Go to Olivander's in Diagon Alley when you get there in the afternoon. It has been my experience that most people do the wand show first thing in the morning and lines actually tend to get less later in the day. Of course it depends on how busy the parks are overall, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the line is long when you get there, then go ride a ride or walk through the shops and come back in a bit. If need be, wait until the last hour that the park is open and you'll get in quickly and still have time to do many spells before you leave for the night.

You can shop in Olivander's in Hogsmeade without dealing with the line or the show; just enter from the back through the other store.

Also in Diagon you can get wands at Gregorovitch, but I'm not sure they have the interactive wands.

Max Rebo, if your daughter rolls more like Hermione, you probably should do Ollivanders in Diagon Alley. If she isn't a stickler, Hogsmeade would be fine, too. I think you can do both in at 4 or 5 and meet the standards of a pretty dedicated fan. When we've had express pass, we do get on faster, but that was on the pretty crowded days. When it is a 4, it is not too significant of a change for things in HP. I'm excited for you -- our daughter coming upon the castle for the first time was a memory I'll always cherish. Completely unrelated, I think Offspring borrow Max Rebo for Hit That.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter