Wk of Oct 30--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Lynne

Unfortunately my running watch, Nike Triax, does not have a counter. I guess some of them do, but I didn't get one with it.

I instead use the stopwatch function. Our indoor track is 8 laps to the mile, and every lap I start the watch, run 3 seconds, then stop it. This gives me 20 laps, or 2.5 miles per minute on the watch. The funny thing is I do not use another watch keeping the time when I do this, and this seems to help a lot with long runs. Mentally I psyche up for say 88 laps, and pay not attention to how lond it takes. I concentrate on an easy enough pace to make the desired number of laps.

Luckily the weather here is holding very nice. I've only had to use it twice this fall, both due to monsoons. I'm sure in December it will be the treadmill or the indoor track, and I'd rather use the track any day.

Craig

After being lazy for the last 2 days, I did my 3 mile walk today. I went do to a park that has a paved recreation trail with markers for each mile. A local running club has it marked out for a certifed 5K distance.

My pace seemed slow as this is the first LW I have done on pavement. I ended up doing 3.57 mi including warm up and cool down.

Warm up (.27) - 17.35
Going out (1.5) - 15.31
Coming back (1.53) - 15.53
Cool down (.26) - 16.10

I can't figure out why the distance out was further than the distance back unless it was for the turn around. After looking at my pace, I wasn't walking as solw as I thought. :rolleyes:

I will try to stick with the training schedule better next week but work seems to be getting in the way of exercise especially when you throw in PT 3 days per week for 1.5 hours each time. I have full motion back in the shoulder, I just have to get some strength back.

TiffJ - thanks so much for that website - they have my shoes in stock!!! :cool1: Yea!!! I'm going to check around, but will order them this week! Thanks again!!!

xterratri - I need the radius in medium width, so they shouldn't be too hard to find. I tried the Illusion 2 and Glycerin 4, but they just aren't as comfy. I did find the radius on the zappos site - did you say you had other sites that may be less expensive? DH uses the adrenaline and just switched from the 5 to the 6. He said he hasn't noticed much of a difference in the men's shoe. Congrats on your 14 miler today, too!!! ;) As for shoe swapping, we were told every 300 miles or every 4-6 months if you had lower mileage.

:wizard: Happy training all!!!

Lisa, I know exactly how you feel about going to training and watching! That's how I feel about watching all of you getting ready for the 2006 WDW events while here I am targeting 2007 - and that after watching the group who ran 2005 get ready for that and hoping I'd be ready for 2006! I only hpoe it doesn't take me as long to get another minute off my mile time as it has to get me to where I am now because at that rate I'll be looking at 2010 instead of 2007!

Lynn, I am thinking about the Minnie very seriously. What is scaring me off so far is the 15 min mile pace. I am just not there yet for even one mile, never mind 15K. They even have a 15 min mile pace for the 5K and 1 mile fun run. I'm going to see how I do over the next few weeks. Actually I will probably wait until after our trip to CT over Thanksgiving for DSd"s wedding since on our last trip back my training did not go very well at all. Once I get back home, I'll see how I am doing and if I think I can come even close to the pace I'll siugn up. I know that the real victory is in getting to the starting line, and I WILL get there eventually, but for me I feel that being swept would really break my spirit and end my desire to improve my pace. I just do not want to risk that. I have all the patience in the world about getting there and know I will not quit until I do, so that's why I haven't jumped in yet. I will as soom as I can stay ahead of the sweeper pace. I already know I can do the distance at least for 15K from much slower LWs with DH, so that's not a problem for me. Hopefully, now that I can at least get into the 16 min mile range I will be able to do it consistently. If I decide not to do the Minnie, I plan to look around for a low pressure 5K (no sweepere!) somewhere around here to do soon. That should keep me going for a while and give me some more experience at least. Maybe even while in CT. There is one on Thanksgiving day not far from where we will be staying, but it's the day after the wedding and I'm not sure yet where we will be for Thanksgiving so I'm not sure if I will be able to fit it in. I also have not told DH that idea yet and I'm not sure how he will feel about Hammonassett Beach in Nov! He has gotten very used to our FL weather. Yes, we are spoiled!

Yay for the 14 miles,
Eyeww for the slithering snake (there are always tons on the trail where I go too and lots of little ones too)

Lynne, it's great to have our own doc on board! :banana:

Nancy, you are progressing very well! Good to hear from you.

Craig, I admire your ability to count that high! Not for me. I'd quit after the first few rounds too. :earboy2:

I did some today and will do my LLR tomorrow. Forecast is rain in a.m., hope I can manage later in the day.

perfectmatch300 said:
Lisa, I know exactly how you feel about going to training and watching! That's how I feel about watching all of you getting ready for the 2006 WDW events while here I am targeting 2007 - and that after watching the group who ran 2005 get ready for that and hoping I'd be ready for 2006! I only hpoe it doesn't take me as long to get another minute off my mile time as it has to get me to where I am now because at that rate I'll be looking at 2010 instead of 2007!

Lynn, I am thinking about the Minnie very seriously. What is scaring me off so far is the 15 min mile pace.

Awwww--you'll make it!!! Keep truckin'! What is your pace right now?

We had someone in our season start in the 19's and her time has come way down. Not sure if she is at 16 yet (I forgot to ask as I was too busy going WAHOOOOO!!!)...but she's getting close. If you find a good training program..as you progress, you do get to a point where you can work on maximizing speed. Hang in there and you'll get your medal!

Now--let's discuss the quad. I guess it is used for many things....walking..running...jumping...lifting your leg...and hey..who knew...STOPPING!

It seems my children have a secret plan to kill me. You see, my exercise mat was still out. And there was this bottle of water. My foot catches a puddle that i didn't see (which is completely under the entire rubber mat now). We have terrazzo floors....

I feel the right leg do it's job of--"hey--I'm slipping..tighten up so the foot can get traction."

You see--I'm usually pretty good at this routine :rolleyes: . The left leg...NUTTIN'.

Not a twitch of muscle fiber--just a "hey, wheeeee! Look at me slide across the floor :banana: ".

"Ummm--excuse me quadricep. It is not fun! Stop acting like it is fun, you coulda darn near killed me and my knee".

"who me?--oh I'm just fine...wheeeee.....let's do it again :banana: ".

"Umm--no thank you! It wasn't fun the first time!"

"oh--cmon---look at me..wheeeee! :banana: "

"Quit it! :mad: "

"Yes, ma'am :yo-yo: "

Now not only can I not run..but apparently braking action isn't apart of the package either. :rotfl2:

Knee is fine--funny enough!

Hey guys sorry for being mia for so long. I transfered schools, found out what is wrong with my knees, started doing physical theripy for my knees, and applying for the advanced cp. I have pateller tendinitis(sp). The physical theripist have just started leting me run for about five minutes at each session. This is a huge step. But on the bright side my legs are geting their tone back. I am hoping to do a two mile race on thanksgiving. But we will see. I think I might even walk the half with mom, not sure what my doc thinks about that though. :confused3 Well I should go to bed. Every one is doing good and PD for those with injuries.

Lisa! :earseek: Take care. We need you in January!

Stitch_lover_Sith, So Happy that you checked in! :hug: Seems like you have a lot on your plate right now. PD that you can walk with your Mom in January. Your family is certainly a busy one.

I need to get out somehow today. Right now we have t-storm and high wind warnings til noon. I guess I'll get to something constructive and surface this afternoon.

Hi, everyone!
Just checking in to tell you I had a great LW this morning. All walking except a very short jog (20 secs?) to make up for stopping for a drink.
Here are my splits
mile 1 -- 14:57
mile 2 -- 14:48
mile 3 -- 14:12
mile 4 -- 14:44
mile 5 -- 15:39 (including 2 pauses for drinks)
mile 6 -- 15:14
cool down/recovery .8 miles -- 13:38 (17:03 pace)
After the cool down, I realized I was tired, but not spent, and actually wondered how much further I could have gone. I am pretty confident that at a bit slower pace than the first 4 miles, I really could have kept going for a while.

Howard (KeenHo) was having shin pains today and walked a bit, but also did 6.8 miles.

Off to my daughter's band championships. Hoping everyone else has gorgeous weather and has some excuse to spend the day outside! :sunny:

Cam- awesome job on your LW! :Pinkbounc It feels good knowing you can outrun those evil sweepers, doesnt it?

Lisa- Be careful, we dont want you hurt anymore

xterratri-I could not handle running anywhere there were snakes. I would have freaked out & ended up hurting myself in the process.

I did my 6 miles today. Pace was 14:26 :banana: :banana: That includes warm up. I didnt look at my splits except I did notice that either 2nd or 3rd mile was 13:34 COOL!

I found a cool magazine today. Her Sports, it seems to be pretty informative & not just for the phsycho thin professional athlete.

Cam, Whoo Hoo for you! You are really doing great.

Whoo Hoo for me! I did 14 miles all in a row! First time and I think I did well. I wanted to make sure that I stayed at the slower pace so I made myself walk for the first 5 miles. Then I ramped up just a bit and did a wog for 1 mile and a walk for the next mile (well approximately) until I completed the 14. I managed it in 3:26 which is a 14.44 pace. I am thrilled!

I am also amazed that I do not hurt. I know I have mentioned this many times before, but once again. Last year after my walks/wogs/jogs I would crawl out of the car on my return home...really I do mean crawl. Today I came home after this effort and got out of the car and up the steps with little problem. This is progress!

Oh, and as I was on the long trek I was reciting our WISH cheer:
Thunder, thunder, thunderation!
We're the WISH group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a GREAT sensation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter