Wk of Oct 30--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

I know we're supposed ot be prepared for the worst come race day. I keep thinking tha tmy legs will be so happy from the taper, though, that I'll feel like amillion buck! (It still helps to knwo what you can run throuhg, though)

Have great weekends and great LRs/LWs everyone. Good luck with your 5 K Sunny and all other who are racing this weekend!!

Sunny - I had a good chuckle thinking about you sitting with your leg on the desk and ice on top :rotfl: I do that sometimes at my office and always wondered what people would think if they walked in and saw me.

Good luck to everyone who's racing this weekend. I'll be out for a long, slow wog tomorrow morning. Luckily, the weather has been gorgeous this week.

Terri

TXBelle said:
I plan to wear my Mizuno Wave Riders on my 8 mile LR tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck on your 8 miler tomorrow Heather. I wear Wave Riders as well. I like them, but I am thinking about putting in a pair of insoles and see what happens.

Sunny good job on that 19 miler today... I appreciated your lessons learned. I too believe in a slow start, sometimes easier said than done.

I ran a 16 miler today in 2:44:10 :banana: :teeth: (a 10:14 minute mile). I am very happy with this. I too started out slower, around 10:30 and 10:45 for the first two miles. What I was most happy with was my second 8 miles were faster than my first! This is the first time EVER for that! There is a name for that...can't recall it. I am pretty sore right now and had an ice bath after and icing now, had to fathom in 67 days another 10 miles on top of that!! :scared1:

Have great LR's everyone!!
Colleen

princessmomma said:
What I was most happy with was my second 8 miles were faster than my first! This is the first time EVER for that! There is a name for that...can't recall it.
Colleen

Negative Splits :) Great job!! :cheer2:

TEK224 said:
Lisa - It's been awhile. If I remember correctly, I was on crutches for about 4 days, then I was allowed to do light walking and the ortho gave me several exercises to do at home. I didn't have any PT, just the exercises. I wasn't allowed any hard activity for about a month. But then I was fine.

I can't really answer about the "defined" quad issue. I don't think I've ever had a sculpted quad :teeth:

But other than getting some fluid on the knee every now and then, and the achy-ness of arthritis, it hasn't given me any major troubles. The one warning the doc gave me was that I'd probably get arthritis in the knee earlier than most people because of the meniscus being removed. The doc was going to try to reattach it, but said the meniscus was too frayed to do so. It was either remove it or use a synthetic to take its place, which would've had me in an immobilizer for 8 months. :rolleyes: Nope - just take it out!

technology has come so far from back then. Hopefully you'll be up soon and better than ever! :)

Terri

He only removed half of my meniscus..said plenty was left and no worries. The quads are only defined when training (and contracted :teeth: ). I did ask on runner's world and was told that the VMO (don't know what it stands for--but it's part of the quads) is finicky and that with trauma it will just do that.

Sorry to gross everyone with the knee pics. I thougth I was looking good. :guilty:

Lisa, don't feel bad about us commenting on your knee. I don't think we were exactly grossed out. Just mostly not realizing your troubles. You hang in there and heal well and quickly.

My last pair of shoes were Wave Runners. I liked them. I have Saucony somethings or other now. I like these new ones too. I always use the inserts as recommended by my Podiatrist and have added some extra heel cushion. Seems to be doing the trick for me. We'll see as I am on a 14-miler Sunday.

Craig, I want to add thanks for that positive description of red and blue course. I too won't feel bad about whatever I draw as the path either.

Mel, it sounds like you are making great progress. Your pace might actually put you ahead of me now.

I love the Terry skorts! I don't own one, but I have actually thought I might like to. They do look so cute. Also have the bike shorts. I don't know if they help that much or not. Riding on a 2 x 4 is still difficult, but I think I manage with my seat set the way I like it now ok. It always takes some time adjusting for the first few times. Then soreness goes and the rides become most enjoyable. (Keep in mind though that I am not a commando rider.)

It is getting exciting as we are in the last couple months of our journey. I used phone alarm and table alarm. I also got out at the early time b/c as I said b4 I don't mind and I want to enjoy and experience as much of the event as I can.

Thanks for the congrats on the moderator thing. We're looking forward to trying out a couple of new ideas and "freshening up our place a bit." I hope I can be of service to all of us WISHers.

Have great LR's, LW's or whatever is on your training weekend.

Thanks, everybody, for your encouragement! Now that I have come close to the 16 min "barrier" I hope I can keep it up! I haven't done speed work again, Thurs was a long walk with DH & friends and today was xtrain so it will be interesting to see what my next speed workout brings.

Hi everyone!!

Just a quick check-in here from work. I did my 14 miler this morning. It was one of those runs where you feel like you are right on pace, you really want to be on pace but you are in fact, not on pace at all. And nothing you can do to will your sad sack of a body to get back close to pace.

But I finished it!!!! :banana: :banana: I didn't want to, but I did!! (Seriously, I was about ready to quit after the first three miles or so...)

Anyhow, I did 14 miles in 2:19:13, which is about 9:57/mile pace. I am sure I negative split the back half because I really, REALLY had to focus in order to try and get my overall pace under 10:00/mile.

But hey, I ran the equivalent of a half-marathon this morning! :banana: And then a little more! :banana:

All that said, I am SO looking forward to a cutback week next week :teeth:

Happy training!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

WTG Solo!

I went to training this morning and.....

watched :guilty: .

Very depressing when on the outside I was: :cheer2: and on the inside I was :sad: . And the icing on the cake. I don't hurt--I just don't have ability. I brought the girls and was going to walk (no speed) this a.m. and let my oldest do her practice running. I coudln't keep up. :confused3 . Stupid Quad.

I am considering joining a gym to get access to an elliptical. I joined the gym program at therapy so that I'd have access to the therapist kind of being my Personal Trainer also. My coach suggested that as soon as I can get on one to do the elliptical. Did you know I hate those machines? :teeth:

Great job Solo!

Lisa - bummer. I know what you mean about the machines. I actually like the elliptical and the bike, but HATE the treadmill. I do it when I absolutely have to, but usually try to avoid it.

It's weird with these quad problems. I find them very annoying. I almost feel like a wimp, thinking I should push through the pain, since I can walk okay and do the machines ok. It's just the actual running that makes it hurt. Then this week I'm reading the newspaper and hearing sportscasts of a bunch of FB and BB players who won't be playing this week because of quad injuries (bruises, strains, etc.) At least I don't feel as though I'm being a big baby anymore.

Today, I decided to test out the quad after 3 weeks of no running. I had planned an 8.4 mile loop around the river here. But this morning I got a little nervous thinking if I had a problem on the far side, it would be a long way back to my car. So I did an out and back instead. Just stayed on the path on one side of the river. So I only did 5.5 miles. But I am happy with that today :goodvibes Especially since its been awhile. I averaged 13:50 per mile. (under the sweeper :cool1: )

The leg is sore, but I think just a tired kind of sore, no worse than it has been. I strectched and iced it down after I got home. If it feels okay the rest of the day, then tomorrow morning I'll give the whole loop a try.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Hang in there Lisa! :grouphug:

Terri

Terri--did you injure your quad? Or does it just not like building up?

My ownly problem with the quad is weakness do to surgery--nothing hurts..but sometimes when I walk--if it is for too long--you can start to feel a slight drag as it decides it is tired. :(

That's okay--today's going to be a big strenght week--I just KNOW it. :) (at least that is what I tell myself).

It's funny--everyone at training was like--does it hurt. No it feels GREAT. Just swollen...a bit of limitation on range of motion..and weakness. But no pain. It's an awesome feeling to be pain free. :)

Lisa :grouphug: I can imagine how hard being there and not training was. I would highly recommend joining a gym and using the elliptical and the rower if possible. I hate those machines, too. But getting in a good cardio can make you feel so much better while your recoop. I'm sure you'll get your quad strength back quickly, but I know how hard it is to wait. My first run post-op was terrible because my quads ached and were so tight and weak. But it didn't last long.

Well today is a rest day. My alarm went off for my LR and I almost got up to run even though I ran yesterday! I have the most organized house now. I don't know what to do with all the extra time! I did TaeBo and some punching bag and upper body weights. But mostly, I'm resting my legs :teeth:

Solo, Great run despite the off pace feeling! What is your race pace? We might be able to run together.

Sunny

Lisa - I strained (I think) my quad about4-5 weeks ago on a training wog. I'm pretty sure I did it trying to control myself going downhill. I kept picking up speed and was afraid I'd fall (it was pretty steep. Dumb move on my part even going down it. But I had to detour off my normal route and just forgot how steep it was). Ever since then, it has been a bother. Doc also said it was probably a strain. Gave me motrin and told me to ice and stretch. Also told me I could get in a lot of training time on the ellptical and stairmaster to save the pounding on my leg.

My plan is to use the machines during the week and go out on the paths on the weekend. That way it's only two days of pounding. Hoping that works!

Terri

Animal alert, animal alert: I almost stepped on another darned snake. I was about 12.75 miles into the run and there I see a garter snake about 2 feet long slithering across the road in front of me. I'm not fond of snakes and have actually stepped on one in the past while trail running. We've had a couple frosts but apparently not a hard enough freeze yet.

Lisa- you made me pull out my anatomy atlas. VMO- vastus medialis, which I knew but couldn't figure out where the O came from. Still don't know. The quadriceps are made up of: rectus femoris(tendon connects to patella), vastus lateralis, vastus intermedius, and vastus medialis. The vastus medialis is considered "the watchdog of the knee" and is very important for patellar tracking. Your PT should have you doing isometrics(simply contracting it and holding) for strengthening it. Your pictures actually didn't look too bad. You at least don't have a bunch of bruising and the swelling is coming down nicely. Some perspective on my opinion though- a. I've had 3 major knee surgeries with both scope holes and open incisions and b. orthopedics is one of my top 2 career choices so a few pictures better not scare me off. BTW, I prefer the elliptical to the treadmill as I can do an hour on the elliptical but my mental limit on a treadmill running is about 30 minutes. I could walk til the cows came home but that's generally not the point of the workout.

14 mile long run today. Actually did 14.7 with .35 during walk breaks and then another .35 walking to get back to my house. The first 10+ felt great, wasn't tired at all, but the last 3, oh boy. Still I was at the 12 mile point 3 minutes faster than when I did the 12 miler 2 weeks ago and averaged 6 seconds per mile faster for 14 than I did for 12. The 16, 18, and 20 milers are going to be challenging but I know that I'll be better prepared for this marathon. I'm hoping to run it in about 4 hours so just a little slower than Sunny and Solo, I think. What's your goal pace going to be, Colleen?

Perfectmatch(nancy, is it???)- congrats on your pace. You are on track for success in 2007. Have you considered doing the 15 k in May to give yourself an interim goal in distance and for motivation during the year?

Solo- congrats on pushing yourself through even when it felt bad. It will make race day feel all the easier.

Craig- I have absolutely no clue how you manage to do longer runs on an indoor track. Nathalie didn't want to run outside Thurs night since it was already pitch dark when we got out of class at 5 pm so we went to track on the second floor around the school gym. It's 10 laps to the mile on the outside. I know that we ran about 30 minutes(should have done 45 but we had more academic commitments) but have no clue how many laps we did. We had both lost count by the time that we were in the 4-5 lap range. We switched directions every 10 minutes and it did go reasonably quickly because we always talk, talk, talk when running. The crazy thing is that I actually do reasonably well keeping count in the pool but running...

Continuing PD :wizard: for the injuries and good luck to the people yet to do their workouts this weekend.

I finished my 14 mile LR this morning without getting swept!!! :cool1: And even better - NO TUMMY TROUBLES!!!!! ;) Thank you all so much for the advice on that!!! Of course, I did a very stupid thing - last night we went out to dinner and I drank a ton of iced tea. So, this morning all was going well - a little off pace at the beginning (was hoping for 13:30 - 14:00), but felt good through mile 6. All of a sudden, I felt like I just could not cool off, and I couldn't get my heart rate down during the walk intervals. And then I realized - I'm not sweating!!!! This is NOT a good feeling. My skin was completely dry and salty, and I felt like I had run into a brick wall. I started chugging Powerade, and went to strictly walking. I did get my walking pace a bit faster, but my heart rate was definitely higher than I wanted it. At the end of 14 miles, I had had 5 powerades and a powergel, and was feeling a little better. So the lesson learned for today - no more tea until after the marathon for me! :sad1: I love iced tea!!! Oh well, I finished right at 15:00 pace, which included 8 miles of walking. I'm okay with that, but hoping for a better LR in a couple weeks! :blush:

DH did awesome - he did 21 miles this morning at something like 12:00 pace. Woo-Hooooo!!!! :banana: He ran 10 miles, then came by the house to pick up me and DS. He then ran with the stroller the rest of the way. :love2:

I do have a question for you all. I tried to get another pair of my favorite shoes for the marathon, but my running store said they are backordered with no anticipated date. I haven't found anyone in the area that has them in stock. Do you all know of any sites I can order Brooks shoes??? I have 2 other models, and one would be okay for long runs, but I really love my Brooks Radius!!! Mine will not last through another long run, though. Any ideas?

Thanks xterratri for that detailed info. Didn't know what a VMO was specifically--but had heard the letters before. And isometrics is what we are doing! In fact I still have to do them today.

crzy4pooh--how scary! I bet it was the caffeine in the tea. WTG on monitoring yourself though :).

crzy4pooh- try www.zappos.com they have tons of shoes & usually offer free shipping. They are also great about returns incase you decide to send them back for any reason at all.

crzy4pooh- I too have Brooks problems so I've been looking on the web. I've ordered from road runner sports before but there are a few other sites with better prices. However, I need the aa width and many sites only have the medium(b) width. My problem is that Brooks switched from the Adrenaline GTS 5 to the GTS 6 and the 6 is stiffer. I'm also leary about switching styles prior to the marathon as I've been doing well in these with minimal aches and pains(knock on wood) even as the mileage has went up. I do definitely need a new pair prior to the marathon though(actually will need them by the end of the month). CONGRATs on your 14 mile LR today!!!

How often are people swapping out shoes? I've been doing it about every 300 miles even though some things I've read say you can go up to 500. With my past knee problems, I'd rather spend the money on shoes than doctor's visits and PT so I'm probably being a little conservative.

I have heard what you heard--about 300...or even a shelf life consideration. I don't haev 300 on my shoe...but I will get a new pair...just b/c the shock absorption will go.

So not sure if that is conservative--I think that is about average.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter