"Wonder"ful trip 10/12/03

MO64RN

I never repeat gossip. So listen carefully.
Having previously done both 7 day DCL Itineraries we decided to cruise this time on the 4 night Wonder and truly had a "Wonderful" time. It was me, DH, DS13. and DD10.

We drove to the port about 1 hour from home and arrived about 10:20 a.m. and were about the 12th family in line. We met up with some DIS'rs we met last year as well as some new ones from this year. My kids picked up right where they left off with their friends they met on last years cruise.

We boarded about 11:45 a.m. and I headed straight to Wavebands for Palo ressies while the rest of the family went for lunch. Nobody was there so I reconnected with my family but by 12:20 decided I needed to head back to get on line so I would not be shut out. I was about 5th in line and secured a ressie for 6 p.m. Wed. night. Later this became a problem as I realized I accidentally did not pack DH's slacks. More about that later.

After being on the waiting list for approx 6 months I found out 2 days before departure by calling DCL we would now have the first seating for dinner. Oddly enough, we were seated at the table next to other DIS'rs we were next to last year and also at the table of another DIS family from this year (I think because the kids are in the same age group). I was pretty dissappointed DU did not notify me of the change as DCL said they were notified 10/3.

I have to say I was not overly impressed by the food in the restaurants or buffets this year with a few exceptions.
1. Chicken wing appetizer (PC)
2.Ice cream Sundae (PC)
3. Black Forest Cake (Tropical Buffet)
4.Chocolate Chip Cookies (CBBQ)
5. Butternut Squash Soup (AP)
6. Chicken Tenders appetizer (Master Chef)
7. Chocolate Souflee (Palo)
8. Don't forget the Mickey Pops
I guess you can tell I like my sweets. Luckily I only gained a temporary 1.5 lbs. I really did a lot of taste testing and left tons of food on my plates. I feel the servers probably think that American's are so wasteful.

As for the Entertainment:
We saw Hercules for the 3rd time (DH snoozed). I also saw the Juggling act by Jeff Harris which was very funny and entertaining. Truly a great show for all ages. We skipped Disney Dreams this time(already saw it twice). We also saw the Wed. Matinee of Golden Mickey's. This was a great show especially the roll of Tarzan. I do think they need to make the red carpet prelude to the show a little more entertaining. I also saw under the Tuscan Sun since DH was watching the BB playoffs. This was a definite chick flick.

We did the 80's, 70's, and 50-60's parties and had a blast at all. We even won some souvenirs between the two of us such a a Wonder Pin, Gold medals, and a DCL coffee mug/cup(plastic). The Charles Marshall Band was also excellent.

We didn't do any organized excursions but I reserved a room at the Comfort Inn and Suites at a reduced rate. Total with tax and service charges was about $170. This was fairly overpriced to ride the slides the few times we did. The walk around the property was entertainment enough and that was free. I wouldn't do this again. Nor would I take the water taxi. It is still a bit of a walk where they drop you off and my kids were tired, cranky, and hungry by the time we reached Atlantis. I did gamble $5 in the slots hoping to recoup my $$$ I spent that day but no such luck.

On the way back the water Taxi dropped us right in front of the straw market. Hmm! I wonder why. We didn't buy much nor did we tour much of the rest of the area.

One of the highlights was that DH and I did the spa Taster. This was truly worth every penny. Very relaxing.

Now back to Palo. When I realized I left DH's pants behind I contacted the manager who said he could not make exception to the no shorts rule. He suggested I contact GS and perhaps they could lend DH a CM's pair. After not hearing anything by Wed. Morning I decided to cancel the ressie. That afternoon the Manager called back said he would find pants and GS also called and said they delivered a pair to our room. Now DH was involved in the BB playoff game (he is a diehard NYY fan) so the manager at Palo was nice enough to change our time to 8pm. Getting close to 8 now the playoff game was not over yet so DH stopped by Palo and asked if we could come later. The Manager was very accommodating. When we finally walked into Palo every other DIS'r we had met and the manager were there and everyone seemed to know the pants story and everybody seemed amused we made it and hubby had pants on. They actually fit pretty good too! Dinner was Delicious. I had the Filet. I was also very surprised there were many empty tables at Palo's. I thought it was so hard to get ressies especially the last night. The few times I called for the manager and got the recording it said they were booked. Just an observation.

I was also 3 numbers away from winning the jackpot bingo of $1900 which a Japanese family won. They could not even yell out BINGO because of the language barrier.

We were home in our house 9:30 am Thursday morning. I slept 3 hours then DD and I went to MNSSHP which was really fun. It was the first time we went and DD was picked to ride a float in the parade which was really nice. We also saw the new Mickey's Philharmagic. It was great!!

In summation I have learned two very important things........

1. Never take a water taxi in Nassau-in fact next time I would think twice before getting off the boat.

2. Never book a cruise during October if they Yankees might be in the playoffs unless I want to eat dinner by myself. I did get a nice new tanzanite bracelet out of guilt though the day we got back. So I guess it worked out.

Great trip report Maureen....almost as good as mine!

One thing your forgot to mention was how wonderful it was to meet ME! How much you enjoyed my family's company at Bingo. How you thought I was not only really funny but very good looking. Funny, how you forgot to include those things in your trip report. That's okay though. I knew what you were thinking!;)

Gooooooooooo Yankees!

Yoou knew that already Rose because I told you to your face. I didn't repeat it only because I didn't want your head to get too big!!! J/k

Maureen:

If the Yankees lose tomorrow (heaven forbid) I think you should get out of town for a while. Soooo, I have a great idea. You and I (let's leave the rest of the family at home) go on a 7 night cruise and play Bingo. Let's face it Maureen, if the Yankees lose, Frank is going to need some time to himself . I think 7 days would be just enough time for him and YOU!

Think about it and let me know. I can be ready to go in an hour!
:p

Gooooooo Yankees!

Rose,

I am there. You call DCL make the reservation and pay for it. I will pack and meet you at the terminal. I think we can definitely do it.

Seriously, I don't know how I will make it through the weekend. Told Frank I was going to be spending a lot of time at the mall this weekend.

I just hope they win so I won't have to deal. Say a prayer. I think it will be close.

OKay Maureen. I will meet you at the port by 4:00pm today (Sunday). Don't say goodbye to Frank. Just walk out the door and quietly start your car. And, Maureen, I am not paying your way. Frank is paying for both of us! Just don't tell him until we get home.

Sounds good to me Rose. Are you sure you can get a flight? I am going to start packing now. Since Frank is springing for it lets get a Category 3.

It was a real upset last night. Glad they didn't prolong the agony another day. Now I can get back to life as I know it. Yes, Sunday Football. At least the obsession is not as bad as baseball.

What week are you cruising next Year?

Maureen:

We are cruising October 16th next year with Denine...I think you might know her...and quite a few other people. We are doing the Eastern.

I think you should come with us. If you do, I will buy you one bingo card....not the whole packet just ONE card....probaby cost me about 50 cents , but Maureen, you are worth it! Besides, it would be great if you bought along Frank. The whole time on the cruise I could torment him with how the Yankees lost in 2003. I don't know why, but I find great joy in annoying other people.

I have been up since 5am with the clock change. I really dislike doing this twice a year. I am all mixed-up (more than usual) for a couple of days.

Yes Rose,
I know Denine, Jerry and their beautiful DD. We met on the cruise last year. We also got together a few times they came to WDW.

Unfortunately, the 18th will not work for us. Fall break for my children is the week before. I am thinking about the new RCCL Mariner of the Seas. Leaves out of Port Canaveral starting this November(brand new). I really wanted to go July for my birthday (the big 4-0) but do you believe it is twice the price for the same Category? Oh well, we have plenty of time to plan. Just pray if we cruise the Yanks don't make it to the post season.

See you at 4pm.

Hey if you are in Orlando any days after your cruise maybe we can get together?

Outstanding and funny trip report....I'm surprised Palo wasnt crowded ....on our 10/5 cruise, we went last night (Wed) at 8pm and it was packed!!!!

We actually walked to the straw market from the ship, since last January we went to Atlantis....although hot , and with very narrow aisles, we found the straw market to have some irresistable stuff....we are incorrigible "chatchke" collectors though...

Hey Maureen:

The fires in San Diego closed down the airport. That's why I wasn't at the port yesterday. Were you waiting for me or are you reading this from the ship?

I would love getting together with you next year. I am not sure if we are going to spend a few days before or after the cruise. However, if it is after the cruise we definitely have to hook up. I will try to be nice to you too!

I will be very curious to hear if you liked RCCL. I will interested to know how it compares to Disney. I am curious if there are a lot of young children. If young children are welcomed. What are the ports of call? Honestly, I DO NOT want to do the Western Disney cruise which means in a couple of years, we had better start looking for a new cruise line. I will be very interested in hearing all the details.

That's all for now. I went running yesterday and today I have a horrible sore throat. I heard on the news that with all the smoke and ash in the air, people should not be exercising outdoors....now they tell me!!!!! I am always the last to know!

I was concerned Rose when I didn't see you at the port Sunday. Good thing you didn't make the trip. The cruise was sold out so I went to the mall instead. Frank is over the loss. He did much better than I expected.

What is with these fires in CA anyway? I usually catch up on my daytime TV on ABC west coast(we have satellite) All afternoon they had special reports running. We had wildfires here several years back. Not fun.

<font color=navy>Thank you for your report. We went on the 3-day Wonder trip and now I'm ready for the 7-dayer with my kids. :)

Fires are pretty bad here Maureen. Kids have been out of school since Monday and are not going back to MAYBE Friday. The worst part is that we cannot go outside because of the terrible air quality. Which means, the children are making their crazy mother even crazier! I can see some sun today though so I hope the smoke is clearing.

Hope all are well with you and yours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter