Words of warning on booking insurance through ABD or ever accepting vouchers

Grifdog22

Barking Mad!
Some years back we booked a trip cancelled by ABD multiple times. We were attending a show which is not over until around 10:00 pm. We received a voucher for the show instead of a refund. With our current trip, we planned on attending that show on the last day of our trip and catching a red eye flight thereafter, for which there are several available now.

I understood that starting last year the ABD travel plans were not as helpful as before. However, you don't get a copy until you pay for it. We bought it when I thought we were at our pay in full date (which was extended after I paid for it) and I started reading the fine print on our trip. Under current ABD insurance travel policies issued by AON, unless you leave for a return trip to the US on the day the trip ends, your coverage also ends. So if you stay to play and your flight is scheduled to leave at 12:01 that night, you are no longer covered, and even if ABD cancels the trip and you booked air through them, they will not reimburse you for that cost. Although the AON policy with ABD says "Air arrangements covered by this definition also include any direct round trip air flights booked by others, to and from the Scheduled Trip Departure and return cities, provided the dates of travel for the air flights are within 7 total days of the scheduled Trip dates." AON says nope, this is for any medical condition you may have that delays your departure, otherwise the trip policy ends the day of the trip. Overnight is deemed anytime after midnight and that takes you out of coverage for the end of the policy. AON will not cover and ABD will not make an adjustment on the trip unless you are leaving the day the trip ends UNLESS you are booking an extra night through ABD. Even then, if the TOTAL pre and post days are more than 7 you are outside of coverage EVEN IF you book through ABD.

This to me is especially bothersome as we were booked on the Egypt trip in which many flights leave in the middle of the night. You'll have to be out the day of the last trip if your coverage is to count.

Reading the policy it appeared to me to be a conflict in the terms so I've spent the day on the phone with ABD and with AON. That's the answer. Again, I'm not filing a claim, there hasn't been a cancellation, but I'm being ultra cautious to ask questions. In my view its a clear conflict within the policy - so I was hoping to get a favorable answer when no claim was pending. Alas, not to be.

In light of this, I strongly recommend to my fellow travelers that you not ever book with ABD for their trip insurance. Get a policy that actually covers what you want and plan to do. With airlines constantly moving times, flights, and dates, it just isn't worth it with the position Aon and ABD takes. When we went to Australia we used insure my trip and we in fact had a claim. American airlines couldn't get the planes of the ground (for no reason whatsoever other than ineptitude and we were delayed again due to mechanical issues on the second leg, causing a two day delay. This was completely covered by the separate insurance).

While I really enjoy travel, I also enjoyed the peace of mind of having insurance. With the ABD plans, you better not cont on that. Just my two cents. In the meantime, I do vote with my walk and my wallet.

I am *SO* sorry to hear that!! It does, indeed, sound like a conflict between Aon and ABD, and I'd've expected ABD to do whatever was necessary to make sure their terms were covered. This is very disappointing (as well as pretty infuriating!) There were a couple of times, *years* ago, that ABD's price and policy were actually pretty good, so I bought through ABD, but that hasn't been true for me for a very long time. I concur that outside insurance is generally the best way to go, especially if you are not flying directly to the start point of the ABD and back from the end point. But this crazy "timing" bit on whether they cover you or not based on when the ABD ends is pure nonsense. With outside insurance, even if I purchase a policy specifying the start and end date to cover, I can definitely call them and modify that, so that exactly what I want is covered.

Wow. I'm really dumbfounded by what you're being put through. Bad job ABD and bad job, Aon!!!

Sayhello

I am *SO* sorry to hear that!! It does, indeed, sound like a conflict between Aon and ABD, and I'd've expected ABD to do whatever was necessary to make sure their terms were covered. This is very disappointing (as well as pretty infuriating!) There were a couple of times, *years* ago, that ABD's price and policy were actually pretty good, so I bought through ABD, but that hasn't been true for me for a very long time. I concur that outside insurance is generally the best way to go, especially if you are not flying directly to the start point of the ABD and back from the end point. But this crazy "timing" bit on whether they cover you or not based on when the ABD ends is pure nonsense. With outside insurance, even if I purchase a policy specifying the start and end date to cover, I can definitely call them and modify that, so that exactly what I want is covered.

Wow. I'm really dumbfounded by what you're being put through. Bad job ABD and bad job, Aon!!!

Sayhello
At least I can adjust what I plan to do now, and not be counting on the AON coverage or beneficial services of ABD to do the right thing - which kinda defeats the purpose of booking trips with them in the first place. I feel like we are back when COVID began and they just didn't know what to do or how to stay consistent. Again, I am a nut about details and this one was like a hangnail - but the answer is perhaps more irritating than not knowing, unless things fell apart and I was stranded, like those on the ABD trip that had arrived and then the trip was cancelled.....perhaps that is what prompted the changes...they actually had to perform their promises.

At least I can adjust what I plan to do now, and not be counting on the AON coverage or beneficial services of ABD to do the right thing - which kinda defeats the purpose of booking trips with them in the first place. I feel like we are back when COVID began and they just didn't know what to do or how to stay consistent. Again, I am a nut about details and this one was like a hangnail - but the answer is perhaps more irritating than not knowing, unless things fell apart and I was stranded, like those on the ABD trip that had arrived and then the trip was cancelled.....perhaps that is what prompted the changes...they actually had to perform their promises.
I'm pretty nutso about those kinds of details, too. :sad2: Sigh.

But I agree, better to know now rather than get caught if you needed them, but still a frustration!

Sayhello

This is actually one of the reasons why we book our flights on our own. I use my rewards card that comes with its own insurance for the flight (along with baggage, trip delay, stuff like that) so it covers us if we decide to stay longer than the ABD trip. Of course we are going on the arctic expedition, and given the nature of the trip the best deal for trip insurance given the situation ended being the insurance through ABD and you can't book flights yet anyway. We went ahead and bought it within the 14 day booking window to include pre-existing conditions and cancel for any reason. I was able to look at the terms online though, you have to do some searching though, but you can find the forms to read through them before signing up for the plans. After a week of comparaing plans with different companies it wasn't any different than booking with another travel insurance company and just having our flights insured a different way, which we would have had anyway.

This is actually one of the reasons why we book our flights on our own. I use my rewards card that comes with its own insurance for the flight (along with baggage, trip delay, stuff like that) so it covers us if we decide to stay longer than the ABD trip. Of course we are going on the arctic expedition, and given the nature of the trip the best deal for trip insurance given the situation ended being the insurance through ABD and you can't book flights yet anyway. We went ahead and bought it within the 14 day booking window to include pre-existing conditions and cancel for any reason. I was able to look at the terms online though, you have to do some searching though, but you can find the forms to read through them before signing up for the plans. After a week of comparaing plans with different companies it wasn't any different than booking with another travel insurance company and just having our flights insured a different way, which we would have had anyway.
Just thought I'd mention that even if you book through ABD, as long as you use your rewards card to pay for it, you are still covered the same as if you'd booked it yourself.

Sayhello

Just thought I'd mention that even if you book through ABD, as long as you use your rewards card to pay for it, you are still covered the same as if you'd booked it yourself.

Sayhello
Yep, I know, but we were going to book extra insurance anyway due to the nature of the trip and Covid. So we end up having extra anyway, I just like booking my flights myself and having that control.

When I first started cruising on DCL that was always a big topic of discussion on the DCL board. The importance of independent trip insurance. Trip insurance covers the TRIP while DCL insurance only covers the cruise. Plus, it was always cheaper.

When I first started cruising on DCL that was always a big topic of discussion on the DCL board. The importance of independent trip insurance. Trip insurance covers the TRIP while DCL insurance only covers the cruise. Plus, it was always cheaper.
It's my understanding that the DCL situation is a bit more black and white as to what is and isn't covered by their travel insurance. ABD and their policies have always been a bit more fluid and ambiguous.

Sayhello

Some years back we booked a trip cancelled by ABD multiple times. We were attending a show which is not over until around 10:00 pm. We received a voucher for the show instead of a refund. With our current trip, we planned on attending that show on the last day of our trip and catching a red eye flight thereafter, for which there are several available now.

I understood that starting last year the ABD travel plans were not as helpful as before. However, you don't get a copy until you pay for it. We bought it when I thought we were at our pay in full date (which was extended after I paid for it) and I started reading the fine print on our trip. Under current ABD insurance travel policies issued by AON, unless you leave for a return trip to the US on the day the trip ends, your coverage also ends. So if you stay to play and your flight is scheduled to leave at 12:01 that night, you are no longer covered, and even if ABD cancels the trip and you booked air through them, they will not reimburse you for that cost. Although the AON policy with ABD says "Air arrangements covered by this definition also include any direct round trip air flights booked by others, to and from the Scheduled Trip Departure and return cities, provided the dates of travel for the air flights are within 7 total days of the scheduled Trip dates." AON says nope, this is for any medical condition you may have that delays your departure, otherwise the trip policy ends the day of the trip. Overnight is deemed anytime after midnight and that takes you out of coverage for the end of the policy. AON will not cover and ABD will not make an adjustment on the trip unless you are leaving the day the trip ends UNLESS you are booking an extra night through ABD. Even then, if the TOTAL pre and post days are more than 7 you are outside of coverage EVEN IF you book through ABD.

This to me is especially bothersome as we were booked on the Egypt trip in which many flights leave in the middle of the night. You'll have to be out the day of the last trip if your coverage is to count.

Reading the policy it appeared to me to be a conflict in the terms so I've spent the day on the phone with ABD and with AON. That's the answer. Again, I'm not filing a claim, there hasn't been a cancellation, but I'm being ultra cautious to ask questions. In my view its a clear conflict within the policy - so I was hoping to get a favorable answer when no claim was pending. Alas, not to be.

In light of this, I strongly recommend to my fellow travelers that you not ever book with ABD for their trip insurance. Get a policy that actually covers what you want and plan to do. With airlines constantly moving times, flights, and dates, it just isn't worth it with the position Aon and ABD takes. When we went to Australia we used insure my trip and we in fact had a claim. American airlines couldn't get the planes of the ground (for no reason whatsoever other than ineptitude and we were delayed again due to mechanical issues on the second leg, causing a two day delay. This was completely covered by the separate insurance).

While I really enjoy travel, I also enjoyed the peace of mind of having insurance. With the ABD plans, you better not cont on that. Just my two cents. In the meantime, I do vote with my walk and my

While I really enjoy travel, I also enjoyed the peace of mind of having insurance. With the ABD plans, you better not cont on that. Just my two cents. In the meantime, I do vote with my walk and my wallet.
Which insurance company did you end up going with?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter