World of Color Status Watch?

This info is probably somewhere.. but it wasn't important to until I started thinking real hard about not using a park hopper for my upcoming trip...

WOC had played weekday nights all year in the past correct? Or has it ever gone to just weekends?

This info is probably somewhere.. but it wasn't important to until I started thinking real hard about not using a park hopper for my upcoming trip...

WOC had played weekday nights all year in the past correct? Or has it ever gone to just weekends?
World of color has always shown at least once a day so long as it wasn’t down for a refurb.

Wouldn't it have been nice if during these months of having nothing, they built up the promenade and put it bleachers? I'm thinking like they have for F! in Florida. That way, instead of standing around for an hour in line, then running to your spot and standing for another 45 minutes, and then standing another 30 minutes for the show.....you just stand in line and then get a seat for the show. THAT would've been worth all of this wait.
If you’re only thinking about WoC then I would agree with them adding seating like Fantasmic at WDW. But that works in Florida because the amphitheater is secluded from the rest of the park. It would be an eyesore imo for the rest of the day in DCA
This.

Disney missed their chance to build a proper viewing area for WOC. The closest thing they could potentially do is what they have done with Rivers of Light at AK. But ROL was built to be viewed from a much wider area which allowed Disney to build seating around the lagoon there - nearly 180 degrees around. WOC however is designed to be viewed mostly from one direction which would limit this method.

Aside from building up the walkways behind the WOC viewing area - like 15 feet higher? - so they could install bleachers - and as a result cutting off the view from LMAUA towards Pixar Pier and Paradise Lagoon - there is nothing to be done about WOC viewing alas.

:wizard:

Wouldn't it have been nice if during these months of having nothing, they built up the promenade and put it bleachers? I'm thinking like they have for F! in Florida. That way, instead of standing around for an hour in line, then running to your spot and standing for another 45 minutes, and then standing another 30 minutes for the show.....you just stand in line and then get a seat for the show. THAT would've been worth all of this wait.
That sound horrible. Would you imagine having a high school football field of bleachers just sitting smack dab in the middle of the park or building a large amphitheater around the show like Florida actually has? We don’t have the space to give any of our night shows an amphitheater and without a building or wall to hide ugly rows of bleachers that just sounds so trashy & in the way to day guests :/

Looks like all the platforms were submerged today!

https://mobile.twitter.com/****/status/1072235283033272321

Is the stage seen on the right edge of the photo normally there? Could that be the “press riser” we saw the permit for?

Looks like all the platforms were submerged today!

https://mobile.twitter.com/****/status/1072235283033272321

Is the stage seen on the right edge of the photo normally there? Could that be the “press riser” we saw the permit for?
No. Some of the music acts for festival of the holidays perform on that stage.

Ok just when it was looking hopeful, Micechat posted this update to their story...

UPDATED: Disney contacted us this morning to say that Thursday will not be the opening date. Please stay tuned.

Ok just when it was looking hopeful, Micechat posted this update to their story...

UPDATED: Disney contacted us this morning to say that Thursday will not be the opening date. Please stay tuned.

Seems like its getting closer and closer. We may have hope for our end of Feb trip!

Aww that’s too bad. I was also feeling hopeful after reading Micechat’s origiobal weekly update because we will be there this weds-friday. Bummer it won’t open in time for our trip but good luck to everyone else going soon & hoping it will open in time for their trip.

This a view of test being done the morning of December 11th. The WoC tests begin around 3:07:00 of the video. Unfortunately this shows them running the regular WoC, not Season of Light. So now I’m not thinking it’s coming back till next year. Hopefully they start it as soon as the holidays end.

This.

Disney missed their chance to build a proper viewing area for WOC. The closest thing they could potentially do is what they have done with Rivers of Light at AK. But ROL was built to be viewed from a much wider area which allowed Disney to build seating around the lagoon there - nearly 180 degrees around. WOC however is designed to be viewed mostly from one direction which would limit this method.

Aside from building up the walkways behind the WOC viewing area - like 15 feet higher? - so they could install bleachers - and as a result cutting off the view from LMAUA towards Pixar Pier and Paradise Lagoon - there is nothing to be done about WOC viewing alas.

The real problem with bleachers is they would obstruct the view during the day or at least that is what they say when you ask. But why couldn't they build bleachers that would go into the ground during the day and be raised up at night like the light towers for Fantasmic! do?

As for walkways they could design the bleachers to form walkways under them, which could actually improve traffic flow in the area.

That sound horrible. Would you imagine having a high school football field of bleachers just sitting smack dab in the middle of the park or building a large amphitheater around the show like Florida actually has? We don’t have the space to give any of our night shows an amphitheater and without a building or wall to hide ugly rows of bleachers that just sounds so trashy & in the way to day guests :/

Would you consider Mickey and the Magical Map trashy? Because they use aluminum bleachers for their show. What if DCA put a show there during the day, and then covered it like they do M&TMM? It would look nice, and there would finally be seating for a Disneyland nighttime show. I would consider it worth it.

Outside of the reason of not having to stand for hours on end like we do for F!, the fact that kids could see the show without their parents lining up hours in advance is a huge bonus. That's been my struggle (and the struggle of all other parents of non-teenage children) for the 6 years I've been doing DL. The Nightly DL Scenario: Lining up waaaaaayyyy early for the chance at a place where my kids aren't blocked by 3000 adults, all who are now elbowing and shoving us for an hour before the show trying to get the spot we snagged. Makes it a whole lot more family friendly. And all that's sacrificed is a view of the Pixar/Mickey Fun Wheel from The Little Mermaid ride line. But...I realize that people who don't have kids, or for that matter, have elderly parents or grandparents (who can't stand for hours at a time) along with them will never have a desire to do this. My position on this sides for mom, dad, and the three kiddos.

They also wouldn't need to be aluminum bleachers, with my suggestion they would be more like concrete bleaches or at least the visible parts would be, as I said they could be retractable which would allow them to be hidden during the day.

The real problem with bleachers is they would obstruct the view during the day or at least that is what they say when you ask. But why couldn't they build bleachers that would go into the ground during the day and be raised up at night like the light towers for Fantasmic! do?
Something like this would be ideal, but it might not be doable since the bay wasn't originally designed for it. The ground under the viewing area might already be housing equipment for WOC, water filtration areas, or some other important infrastructure that would be impractical to move. Just one possible explanation why this hasn't been done. Of course it's just as likely they don't want to spend the money.

It's a shame they haven't figured something out though. WOC is my favorite disney show but I've only seen it a couple of times because I don't bother unless I can set aside enough time to get a front row spot (I'm short). But even so, I'm reluctant to say they should permanently sacrifice the view and the open feeling of the bay all day long just to make seating for a brief nighttime show that not everyone is interested in. If they can't figure out a way to put bleachers away during the day, I don't think they should have them.

As for walkways they could design the bleachers to form walkways under them, which could actually improve traffic flow in the area.
To you and the the other bleacher comments...

If it were possible to make something retractable that would help the situation for sure.

At Rivers of Light at WDW, they built permanent "bleachers" made of concrete (in some areas) or wood (in others). They do not seem cheap or trashy (comment from a PP) as they are not metal. But they are permanent. So that would not work for WOC without obstructing the view.

Of course realize that the retractable bleachers, if that is even possible, would have to remain up for at least 2.5 hours every night (when there is a single show) and 4 hours on nights with two shows. In other words, they would block the view of the lagoon and PxP for anyone near LMAUA all the way over to the Golden Zephyr and all the way to the bridge. So all the other thousands of guests not seeing WOC would have a reduced experience.

With 20/20 hindsight, before building LMAUA I think they should have raised the entire area there around the obelisk and built LMAUA 10-15 ft higher. Then they could have installed permanent bleachers without obstructing the view of the lagoon and PxP.

Bad news for anyone expecting a 2018 return, I think.
Website has been updated to remove the "Late 2018" deadline and replaced it with "returning soon".

"As part of our continuing efforts to create magical experiences for our Guests, World of Color is closed for refurbishment and is scheduled to return soon. In the meantime, please enjoy our other entertainment offerings at Disney California Adventure Park!"

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/entertainment/disney-california-adventure/world-of-color/

I've been casually reading this thread without getting too invested. We saw WOC in 2017 and wouldn't be too broken up if it didn't show during our January 2019 trip.

BUT I just snagged a GC villa for part of our trip using DVC points, so now we might have a chance of a WOC view... so I'm suddenly invested! :) I'd be excited if it returned for our trip. That's looking less likely, though!

Would you consider Mickey and the Magical Map trashy? Because they use aluminum bleachers for their show.
No, because it is inside an amphitheater. So is Rivers of Light. I just don’t want bleachers in the middle of the park. What you’re asking for is similar to throwing a bunch of bleachers up at the end of Main Street for ppl to be able to sit and watch the fireworks at night or to surround the lake in Epcot with bleachers. And yes I would think either of those two examples would also look really trashy & negatively impact guests in the day, same as bleachers around WOC. It’s fine if you & others want them but IMO it just doesn’t make sense for the park the way it has been designed.

Just got a tweet back from Disneyland Today...I asked if WOC will be up for NYE...

Hello! The show is expected to return towards the end of this year. Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more information.

So guess it is still any day??

Guess they got in trouble for that remark ..got this a few hours later

“Hello again. We wanted to give you an update on World of Color. We're working very hard to deliver the soonest return date possible. We know this is an incredible popular show that our guests love and are hopeful the show will return in the next several months.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!