Worst Things About Hollywood Studios?

HS feels like the "junk drawer" of parks. They seem to spend as much effort taking down attractions as they do building them. Osborne Lights, Pizza Planet, Mickey's Hat, Backlot, Lights Camera Action. Just like my junk drawer, throw the old stuff away to make room for new stuff. I don't get how TSL and the Star Wars areas has much to do with Hollywood, other than they are movies. But AK has theming based on movies, as does MK and EP. And the food options are bad. Every trip we try a new place, hoping to find something we enjoy. 50s PT Cafe was a hit for a while, but the food is too heavy for warm weather visits.

Finally, we are not big fans of the evening entertainment. Our HS day is our afternoon pool day. We are not Star Wars fans, so the SW fireworks and laser show are a bit bland and Fantasmic just isnt good enough to justify getting into the theater an hour early for good seats. Essentially, we try to get in as much TOT and Rockin Roller Coaster, with a little TSM, then we bolt. It's the only park I feel we can't spend an entire day in.

I'll second what others have said.
1. Lack of shade (especially in TSL- this is a brand new land. Perhaps Andy could have some trees in his back yard? Parachutes for the Army men? There are ways of adding shade and keeping with the theming)......
This is brilliant. Take note, Disney.

This past trip was our first down towards tower of terror. One set of bathrooms? Really? The women's was so lined up that my 3 boys were out of the men's room before I even made it in the door of the women's.

There are three set of bathrooms within a two minute walk of TOT: Just outside TOT, just outside RNRC, halfway down Sunset (across from the DVC pavilion).

EDIT: Goal of this reply is to inform those reading the thread, not to contradict.

Last edited:
Much of the park is a mish-mash of different things. I wish they would reorganize it into sections with more coherent themes, including a Hollywood theme - the making of movies. I miss The Great Movie Ride and my favorite attraction there was the Art of Animation.

I'm not sure why a lot of people say it has no theming now as opposed as before...it's Hollywood, the movie franchises that Disney owns. Music, T.V. and Movies.
It's like saying MK has no cohesive theming because we have Adventureland next to Frontierland next to Fantasyland, if anything, DHS has a more cohesive theme that MK
I understand the nostalgia of what it was, I loved the original MGM Studios and not having any of the original attraction/shows is a big deal as the loss of identity, but the cohesive theme is still there
Just my opinion

MK at least has cohesive lands. HS is creating some with Toy Story and SW:GE, but much of the rest is pretty random. I would be happy if they at least grouped attractions into areas with thought-out themes, particularly themes that allow for growth and change.

MK at least has cohesive lands. HS is creating some with Toy Story and SW:GE, but much of the rest is pretty random. I would be happy if they at least grouped attractions into areas with thought-out themes, particularly themes that allow for growth and change.
that's the thing, DHS is not to be seen as "lands" like the other parks, it is one big. cohesive land. Disney got us used to the "lands" inside the parks concept and yes, DHS doesn't really have that other than, now TSLand and SWGE but if you see the park as a whole, it's all about Hollywood

I'll throw another hat in for underwhelming food options. I don't find anything there truly delicious - or even really that good at all - besides Hollywood Brown Derby. I eat Italian food almost daily, and the others, while cute they have really cute themes, just aren't worth the money or calories to me. I almost always find myself leaving the park for a meal and tiding myself over in between with a Mickey pretzel. I truly think their food options almost totally across the board are a huge weakness.

I'm aware it's temporary but in november when we visited I had a tough time with the long walk back to the buses. the food obviously sucks. But I would like to be specific with one thing I had such a problem with it was the first time I contact guest relations ever via email about to complain about disney. And we visit annually. But I felt so strongly about the frozen show I needed to speak up. Here is my opinion as I wrote to guest relations and now to Craig: I hadn't been to the show in many years as my daughter saw it when she was very little, now she is grown, and then I had two boys after who were not interested. So it was awhile. I had an issue physically that trip and needed to sit and rest myself so the show frozen was right there and i went in with my son who is fifteen. he and i watched the whole show. I was shocked and hadn't remembered how it depicted old stereotypes of men/women relationships, especially in the era of the metoo movement. The female character oogled over svens physicality, repeatedly commenting on his muscles and how attractive he was to her: at one point she leaped towards him to grab him and fell (haha she fell, apparently that's funny too), and she would rub her hands like massaging him in an imaginary way to want to grab his muscles. Then she made a 'vroom vroom' sound like a motorcycle, made her hands move like she was revving up a motorbike and said she wanted to ride him. She then made fun of the narrator, a wonderful young actor, by calling him an elf because he wasn't muscular like sven, and said she had no interest in him because he wasn't basically good looking enough as he lacked muscles like sven. I noticed my son's 15 year old reaction, soaking in every word, and noticed the young preschoolers in the front laughing as the narrator also egged on the stereotypical ideas that women are interested in the svens, no the ' elves' . I was so embarrassed that I had to sit through this show with my son. THis show needs to update their jokes and writing and not influence children's thoughts on looks are everything and muscles are the most important value to women. It is demeaning to women and perpetuating these antiquated stereotypes. I hope they change it.
The other comment was I paid for emm for dhs tsl and the sdd ride was down the entire time with no offers for reimbursement but a fp for that day in that park which i didn't want or need. and btw to add a small item too, the food area in that land is difficult to get seats you have to run and grab a seat when one opens. it's awful to do that, unpleasant like i'm vying for a parking spot in nyc.
thank you for letting me vent on my frozen soapbox...i am done now.

What's wrong with HS? Very little, IMO.
We have always loved HS with the street performers, Movie Ride, and ambience of old Hollywood. I know that the focus is changing, but still miss this, also the backstage tour, the animators that you could watch working on the next movie, and the opportunity to draw a picture.
We love TOT, the best attraction in HS IMO, RnR, ST, Indie Jones, and Muppets Theatre. I know you guys at the Dis don't like Beauty and the Beast, but we enjoy it everytime we visit. It's a must see for us.
Those of us who visit the parks often must remember that the attractions that we feel are "old and not too interesting" are being seen for the first time by someone - and that someone is just as awed by them as we were at one time.
I like TSL, but feel it is too cramped for the amount of people it draws. We went once and walked shoulder to shoulder with people. It was difficult to stop and look at everything. The one QS place (Woody's Toy Box?) was super crowded, so we skipped that.
As far as food, we loved Mama Melrose's and Sci-Fi. We also like The Commisary; it seems they have upped their quality of QS food.
But we don't go to the parks expecting gourmet, 5 course meals at any restaurant or certainly not QS. So, no problem there. We are at the parks eating "park food". Again, if you go all the time, you can get jaded about things much quicker than most of the guests. IMO.
So, I feel that not much is wrong with HS at all:)
Didn't mention SW because we don't intend to make a visit to see it for quite a while; don't like new attraction crowds and are neutral on SW's itself. So glad they still have the other areas of the park.
As for the layout of the park? I always found it interesting and different from the other hub parks. It is easy to head one way to TOT and RNC, another to ST and Muppets, etc, etc, so have never felt that the layout was a bad thing. I must be in the minority on a lot of this stuff about HS anyway.

Last edited:
that's the thing, DHS is not to be seen as "lands" like the other parks, it is one big. cohesive land. Disney got us used to the "lands" inside the parks concept and yes, DHS doesn't really have that other than, now TSLand and SWGE but if you see the park as a whole, it's all about Hollywood

I agree that is how it originally was. With the addition of these new lands, HS is evolving, though. But I would also like to see an area where the original theme of HS is preserved more cohesively.

Dearly miss the Animation Academy.

1. Losing the drawing class at Animation Academy. It could have been relocated and seemed popular (this one is personal)

2. Rope Drop. It used to be fine when they had turnstile entry with no interior holding. It’s now a dangerous mess. I get they don’t want the mass in front but there has to be a better way.

3. Transportation. We have had consistent problems getting return buses to monorail resorts. 45-1 hour waits have become common.

Can't believe I forgot to add the loss of the Animation Academy to my list-- we miss it so much!! Thank goodness it still exists at DLR. It is a must do for our family. Seriously, if we lived in the area and had a season pass, I could see myself just spending an entire day there learning to draw characters. I'm not remotely an artist at all and would consider myself terrible at drawing, but my drawings there turn out decent. That was a big loss in our opinion.

We have had trouble with 3 as well- and the same thing with the park to park buses.

I was there last week and for both the Indianana Jones Stunt spectacular and for Fantasmic if you transfer out of your wheelchair, they move it to the far right side and you have to go against the flow of people to get back to them or be the very last person out. And there was no break between Fantasmic and the Star Wars fireworks so they were over before we ever made it back up the hill.

There are really only a few things I don't like much about HS.
One is the name. It has zero to do with a Studio in Hollywood.
Two is the shows are way out of date, I do still enjoy them but they are becoming stale.
And Three is that they are taking away all the unique Merchandise, the Animation Building was amazing, we loved it there and the shop that was attached to it had some amazing merch. Back "in the day" they had a fantastic amount of Muppet Merchandise and now there is a tiny bin full and the rest is all generic stuff you can get at every single store. Then they removed the Villains shop!
I am sick of going into every single store and seeing the same stuff. I want UNIQUE merchandise for each store.

The food! The quick service is just terrible. I usually leave DHS tipsy after 2 beers because I can't find any decent breakfast/lunch options.

Quick serve and the "shows". Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast are almost painful to watch.

The food is abysmal. We used to enjoy 50sPT, but the last few trips the quality has dropped; cheap fatty cuts of meat, poorly prepared fish, overcooked veggies (like mom used to serve from a can back in the 50s- OH WAIT!!!). Sci-Fi is overpriced, poorly cooked burgers and dogs, and Mama Melrose has become progressively worse over the years. And Hollywood and Vine? The place is a dump, literally food and trash all over the place, and it smells like garbage. The quick service is awful... flavorless, poorly prepared, just gross, and the quick service desserts make me gag. Backlot used to be good, but now they've changed it and it's just a step up from lousy. We now ALWAYS leave HS for our meals, even lunch, and often just skip it as a park.

I also wish there was more live entertainment, especially with Indiana Jones shutting down every time there is thunder in the area. Does anyone remember Hunchback? Do you remember when all the shows had a pre-show, like 4 for a Dollar before B&B, jugglers and magicians before Fantastic?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter