Worth Booking BLT for 12/30 Fireworks Viewing?

Ben E N

DIS Veteran
For those who have stayed at Bay Lake Tower on either July 3rd or December 30th, how crowded is the rooftop viewing for fireworks? Do you think it is worth booking the resort in order to be able to take advantage of this perk?
Also, do you think the recent changes that has made the 4th and 31st special paid events, do you feel this has impacted how crowded it gets on the 3rd and 30th?
Thanks for any input

I know this isn't what you were asking, but we just went to the park for the 6:30pm 12/30 show at MK (bussed from RIV, no less - that took about an hour...). I know we both have small kids around the same age, and we had a blast, surprisingly.

We were so late that we only made it into the park when the fireworks started, but they are all around you, so it was a phenomenal view. We just tapped in, found a spot near the train station at Main St. and the FW started. True we couldn't see any projections but we didn't miss it at all. They do a full countdown and then it "snows" on Main St. The hub had a DJ and the whole area was a family-friendly dance party that went from around 6 - midnight. We were able to get up quite close to the castle and had plenty of room w a double stroller and we were just dancing around.

We watched fireworks 6:30-7ish, then walked down Main St. in the "snow" and did a FP in Fantasyland. We had a 7:25 ADR at Skipper Canteen, had a nice dinner there, and then went to the hub around 8:45 or 9 ish. The kids were pretty tired so we only stayed for about 20 minutes, but we had a great time and then took the bus back to RIV.

I know when we booked (VGF/RIV) I somewhat regretted not being at BLT for NYE. In retrospect with young kids I'd do NYE in the MK area, since EP is still more adult oriented and their early fireworks on 12/31 was the regular one. MK does the New Year's FW 4x: 6:30 and 11:30pm on 12/30 and 12/31.

I have booked BLT for July 3 and December 30 practically every year since we bought BLT. (2013) We have found going to the TOTW to be extremely enjoyable! Last year our Standard View studio had nice enough views of the fireworks that we didn’t go up on the 3rd. There was also controversy about the 4th last year, we just wanted to avoid that whole scene. Once again we do have BLT for the 3 of July, and as usual for us, we head to the BCV for the fourth. We love seeing EPCOTS fireworks on the 4th.

Also, we had found December 31 to be more crowded than the 30th, when the 31 was opened to all who stayed at BLT. We stayed there once on the 31.

DVC is sometimes running private parties that block you out of TOTWL unless you pay for the party. I think the dates have been announced for 2020. Be sure to check.

DVC is sometimes running private parties that block you out of TOTWL unless you pay for the party. I think the dates have been announced for 2020. Be sure to check.

It's looking like the pattern is the 4th and the 31st, but leaving the 3rd and 30th open to BLT guests. They are also making the 6:30 show on the 31st available to them as well. Things can always change, though.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like it may be worth a shot. I know the parks will be insane, so a slightly quieter evening would be a good contrast.

One year for the 30th, we booked a pontoon boat for fireworks from the Wilderness Lodge Dock. We used the Disboards to help fill the boat with 10 people, since we were only 2. It was not nearly as expensive as renting on NYE. THAT was another wonderful way to view NYE fireworks on the 30th.

One year for the 30th, we booked a pontoon boat for fireworks from the Wilderness Lodge Dock. We used the Disboards to help fill the boat with 10 people, since we were only 2. It was not nearly as expensive as renting on NYE. THAT was another wonderful way to view NYE fireworks on the 30th.

That adds in a fun new idea. I could easily get a group of 10 together, so now I get to start a whole new conversation with my wife. I swear I bring up a new Disney idea with her once a week, and a lot start on these boards.

That adds in a fun new idea. I could easily get a group of 10 together, so now I get to start a whole new conversation with my wife. I swear I bring up a new Disney idea with her once a week, and a lot start on these boards.
If you do decide to do this, you may have to call the number to rent the pontoon boat MANY times. It seems they do not realize there is a December 30th midnight fireworks. I think DH called at least 6 times!!

I backed out on the plan at the last minute. My wife and I discussed it a bunch and decided it wasn't worth the extra $1000 to upgrade our family's gold passes to platinum just for a couple of days in the parks and a unique fireworks view.
I appreciate all the input from others, though. We will be down in Florida anyway, so driving in and renting a pontoon boat could be a fun thing to do that day.

I backed out on the plan at the last minute. My wife and I discussed it a bunch and decided it wasn't worth the extra $1000 to upgrade our family's gold passes to platinum just for a couple of days in the parks and a unique fireworks view.
I appreciate all the input from others, though. We will be down in Florida anyway, so driving in and renting a pontoon boat could be a fun thing to do that day.
Whatever you do, you’ll be in FL for NYE and you have choices!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts