Worth it to take a toddler to Animal Kingdom?

ForEver2016

Mouseketeer
We were thinking about doing a half day at AK with our 1.5 year old. We will have a pre-park opening breakfast at Tusker House and then will explore until we go back to our hotel (The Contemporary) for an afternoon nap.

I’ve heard that there’s not much to do there for a toddler. Was planning on both Kilimanjaro Safaris and Festival of the Lion King but each being over 20 minutes, I am nervous that he won’t be able to sit through 2 long-ish things. If you had to pick one, what would you choose?

Also, we do have a good local zoo that we visit almost weekly during the summer. And we’ve been to all the other parks twice but never AK. So, with all that in mind, what do you all think? Should we check AK out or skip it?

What time of the year are you going? We find AK to be truly oppressively hot with fewer opportunities to get into AC. If summer, I would forget it.

Otherwise, if you have hoppers anyway, I would take some time to explore it. I would get a FP for Safaris and if he makes it through that, try Festival of the Lion King. It is very interesting/visually impressive and likely he would be fascinated.

Since you are already there, I would at least walk around. KS has always been hit or miss with my kids but they've never straight out hated it. Get a FP for it, try to see a show, and just walk around until you start getting too hot. I would only say skip it if you are going to cancel the ADR.

YES! My Toddler had a great time. We did the Safari 3 times, Bug, the trails, the affection section, he loved just dancing to the many different bands playing. We met Mickey and he gave him a 2 min long hug, best part of my trip. They can ride Navi, Safari, and Triceratops spin. There is also the boneyard, I didn't let my toddler play because he was napping, but my 6 an 7 year olds loved it.

If your child enjoys the zoo at home, he will enjoy Disney’s take on animal exhibits. I think AK is a really beautiful place that everyone should see. :)

The first time we went to AK, my son was 2 1/2. It was in 1999 shortly after the park opened and had less attractions. We greatly enjoyed that visit and did both the Safari and the Lion King show.

I think you should do both and maybe take some time to walk one of the trails.

If you skip it, you can book Chef Mickey’s at Contemp. There’s a better flow of characters there and you won’t be waiting around so less potential for him to be bored.

For AK, if he likes trains you can go to Rafiki’s Planet Watch where there’s a petting zoo as well as vets giving Animal presentations/talks. Rafiki and Doc meet and greets are there with very short lines.

It will be early July!

I'd be super tempted to skip it, then. We have gone twice in September and although we had a whole day planned there, we didn't make it much past lunch time as it was just SO HOT in there!!

When we went in November, we spent 1.5 days there because the weather was lovely. We could wander the trails without feeling a panic attack coming on due to the heat and lack of moving air.

Agree with others about temperature, it does feel several degrees hotter there than every other park. Bring a change of clothes, as there are several fountain-style things they can get wet in (unlike the actual fountains, please don't send your kid in there!) and cool down a bit.

That said, it is generally one of our best days there, with little kids. We always do Rafiki's planet watch (petting area is fun, cute train ride to get there, couple of characters to meet with little or no line (Jiminy Cricket and Rafiki)), my kids love the aquarium and hippo areas, and we spend a ton of time walking around the trails (kangaroos, gorillas, tigers, etc.). Unlike other parks, it is where my 1.5 year old could run around a bit more. He also loved the dino area, we have had fabulous M&G with Pluto and Goofy there, and the dumbo-style ride there is his favorite.

As for choosing between the 2, Safari would win hands-down, no contest. I am not a huge fan of the FotLK, so we haven't taken the kids there, btu Safari is a must-do for us. Early morning is great, as animals are more active and then you can just chill and walk afterwards until time for nap.

We took our DD to AK twice this year (at 1.5yo and 2yo).

The first trip we stuck to the boneyard, triceratops spin, the maharaja jungle trick and kilamanjaro safaris. To be honest she had more fun playing with her grandmothers purse than looking at any animals on the safari.

On the second trip, we did triceratops spin again and then took her to Lion King! She loved it! I’d recommend getting a FP for it because it gave us time to get into the theater and enjoy som A/c before it got too crowded. As far as shows go you sit relatively close to the action so I feel like that helps hold attentions a bit better. We also took her on Navi and the safari again. She was much more engaged on the safari this second time around.

I have taken all of my girls when they were around 2 or 3 and they loved different things about Animal Kingdom. The Affection Section of Rafiki's Planet Watch was a big hit with all of them. My oldest loved The Boneyard, My middle loved seeing all of the animals on the trails and safari ride (she has always loved the zoo and animals in general), and my youngest loved the little areas that had bongo drums and stuff you could play with as well as the TriceraTop Spin. There are always character meets as well. I couldn't imagine skipping Animal Kingdom even if it were just for a half day to enjoy the atmosphere and animals. We love the unique theming and feel of Animal Kingdom.

I love AK and so did my kiddos -the vibe there is just so cool. There’s tons to do there for all ages. I definitely can’t imagine skipping it.

For us, it felt like DHS was the hottest park. At least AK had shade. AK was our favorite park. Plenty of stuff to look at, good eats, and just beautiful. We didn't get to do everything, missed the Conversation Station/Affection Section/Jungle Trek. Plenty of Ice Cream all around too. I will also say that AK was the park we saw the least child meltdowns in, they were all in It's tough to be a bug. I wouldn't skip it. We can't wait to go back.

My 19 month old loved Animal Kingdom. I'd recommend even going back at night. My daughter loved dancing to the different bands playing. The Tree of Life shows are pretty neat as well.

Festival of Lion King was her favorite show. I also second that Mickey at Adventurers Camp was the best meet and greet. We did the Tusker House breakfast and that was enjoyable as well. Food is great too! It is just a fun atmosphere and there are just lots of things to see.

I thought Epcot would have enough for her to do for a whole day and she wound up quite bored there. She tolerated some of the rides but wasn't interested. Turtle Talk is better for the 3+ set. If you were going to spend less time somewhere I'd recommend that it be Epcot.

Well my 1st grandson turns 1 during our trip and not only will he be with us everyday I picked AKL for his introduction into WDW's hotels.

We took our son when he was 1.5 and he loved it! We did both walking paths, the safari, triceratop spin, FOTLK, and lunch at Tusker House. While he was napping, DH did EE and I did Dinosaur. We were there just before Pandora opened...I would have taken him on Na’vi as well. I think it’s a great park for a toddler!

Some friends of mine are currently at WDW. They posted some videos of their 14-month (?) old boy at Animal Kingdom, having a really great time. One video is of him in awe at the monkey exhibit. He then sees other animals and answers questions on what sound that animal makes. Another one of him clapping along to the street performers and doing a little dance in his mother's lap. Another one looked like he was so wide eyed in excitement at some character performance. Sounds like they had a great day.

DS enjoyed it at 16 months. He liked the safari and the Lion King show. Since you are not planning a full day there I would not be too concerned about the temperature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter