Would AKL be worth 1k more?

nat8199

DIS Veteran
DH and I are looking to go to Disney for a weekend to see Food and Wine plus we would like to eat at some restaurants that we don't go to with our kids, mainly at AKL. We might also do a tour or to at AK. Most likely, we would only visit AK and EP during our two days there.

Since AKL is where we want to eat, I priced out our staying there. With a Savanah view, it would just over 2k for the weekend (3 nights). This is obviously before any discounts come out.

I priced us staying at the Dolphin, with a resort view, and it would be just over 1k for the weekend.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of staying at AKL, which as a family of five we will never do with out kids, but is it really, really, really, worth 1k more than the Dolphin?

I don't know if I can do it.

First of all, only you can decide if you really want to spend $1000 extra dollars on your resort room.

Now I will tell you that AKL is my family's favorite resort. We have stayed there 4 times. We love everything about it. The overall design, the look and feel of the rooms, lobby, gift shop. The animal viewing areas are beautiful. It is really hard to describe what it is like to wake up in the morning and look at the view from your balcony. The pool is our favorite compared to the other resorts we have stayed at. Beautiful and so very relaxing. Jiko and Boma are excellent restaurants. There is just something so serene and tranquil about this resort.

Regardless of where you stay, I hope you have a wonderful time.

First of all, only you can decide if you really want to spend $1000 extra dollars on your resort room.

Now I will tell you that AKL is my family's favorite resort. We have stayed there 4 times. We love everything about it. The overall design, the look and feel of the rooms, lobby, gift shop. The animal viewing areas are beautiful. It is really hard to describe what it is like to wake up in the morning and look at the view from your balcony. The pool is our favorite compared to the other resorts we have stayed at. Beautiful and so very relaxing. Jiko and Boma are excellent restaurants. There is just something so serene and tranquil about this resort.

Regardless of where you stay, I hope you have a wonderful time.

I totally get all of these. When we go as a family we stay at YC because we love it and the extra cost is worth it.

But, for just me and DH, for just 3 nights, I am having some trouble allowing myself the splurge.

AKL is a wonderful resort. That said if you don't plan on being at the resort all that much I'd save the money. You can easily spend a few days just at the resort.

We have DVC and stay at AKL each year. We bought in back in 1993, when it was cheap. But I could never justify $1000 extra for a weekend. Maybe if it was a significant anniversary, but otherwise no way. Go visit AKL, there are large porches and walkways where you can view the animals as long as you want.

As others have said, only you can decide. I personally don't think an extra $1000 is worth it. I have stayed at the Swan & Dolphin & they are great resorts! Keep in mind that you can NOT use Magical Express when staying at Swan/Dolphin.
Happy Anniversary & have a fun trip!

$1K is a big diff in price for a weekend trip. We love AKL but to me not worth it for a weekend. But worth is very subjective. While I love the deluxe resorts and have many stays in them, this Nov we are staying 10 days at Pop for under $1k.

We love AKL, but no, not worth 1000.00 for 3 days. Swan/Dolphin are very nice resorts. They are more on par with Disney's Deluxe resorts. I'd definitely save the money and stay there. Are there not any standard views available at AKL? A lot of times you can get a partial savannah view when booking a Standard room.

I would have suggested looking into renting DVC points for AKV, but if it's for 2017 F&W, there are probably no rooms available at this point.

I always prefer staying at the Epcot resorts area, and really like the Swan/Dolphin.

I love both resorts and have stayed at both but if you are going during F&W, Swan/Dolphin hands down. Walking distance to Epcot can not be beat. Uber over to AKL and enjoy the resort for the day/night.

I've been both places and I LOVE the Animal Kingdom Lodge ... but Swan / Dolphin cannot be beat during Food & Wine. If you are only down there for the weekend, I would just stay at Epcot resort area. We barely find time to be in the hotel during an adult weekend to F&W. Heck, I've spent 5 days at Food & Wine and never made an ADR and I love eating at all the big restaurants. AKL is a resort made to be enjoyed - much more worth it if you do it when you have some downtime to relax and enjoy the whole resort a bit. That 1K would be much better spent living it up at the booths at F&W.

I would save AKL restaurants for the next family trip and bring the kids. By the way, my kids LOVE Jiko and Sanaa and have since they first went when they were 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter