Would RotR Be Scary for a 7 Year Old (non-spoiler please)

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
I've been avoiding spoilers for RotR but my 7 yo is a little sensitive and I need to know if I should bite the bullet and find out spoilers to prepare him or if it'll be okay.

He isn't afraid of any roller coasters at all. It's spooky things and screen images that bother him. So should I give up going in spoiler free in order to warn him about anything?

At Disney the only rides he finds scary are HM and ToT (not for the drops but for the ghost theme).
At Universal he doesn't like FJ because of the dragon clawing the building, and the dementors.
He doesn't like Escape from Gringotts because of the 3D snake and the lightning.
I'm sure that the scare actors in the Mummy line at Uni would absolutely terrify him and make him never get in the line again.

I realize that SW isn't spooky in the ghost story type way but should I be worried that anything in RotR will scare him? If yes, please just say yes and I'll decide if I need to figure out the spoiler answers.

Thank you so much.

I don't think so. Is he familiar with Kylo Men in the parks at all? If so the demeanor of the attraction isn't really any different.

How much does he know about the Star Wars characters? If he doesn’t know who the bad guys are I think it’ll be fine.

I don't think so. Is he familiar with Kylo Men in the parks at all? If so the demeanor of the attraction isn't really any different.

He has been done Jedi Training fighting Vader with Kylo Ren showing up at the end (2 years ago) and he's done the Kylo Ren M&G.

How much does he know about the Star Wars characters? If he doesn’t know who the bad guys are I think it’ll be fine.

He's seen A New Hope, done Jedi Training, met characters at DHS, and knows that Stormtroopers are bad guys. None of those have been particularly scary to him.

Agree, if he hasn’t been scared of the characters in the past then he should be ok unless something all of a sudden changes this trip. Some of the characters roam galaxy’s edge so you could always go over to the first order side and try to run into them just to make sure he still is ok with them prior to boarding.

Then I would think he would be fine.
Agree, if he hasn’t been scared of the characters in the past then he should be ok unless something all of a sudden changes this trip. Some of the characters roam galaxy’s edge so you could always go over to the first order side and try to run into them just to make sure he still is ok with them prior to boarding.

Great! Thank you both!

Try asking your 7 year old if they want to watch videos before you go to see if it is okay for them. You might have to bite the bullet and watch some YouTube previews, even if it might ruin the surprise for you..better then a meltdown half way through...you know your child better then we do...I was a 6 year old who was terrified of haunted mansion...my parents encouraged me to ride it and I was okay! since then and even now its my favorite ride...but my parents knew my limits and also had experience with the ride before they took me on it.

He isn't afraid of any roller coasters at all. It's spooky things and screen images that bother him. So should I give up going in spoiler free in order to warn him about anything?

I realize that SW isn't spooky in the ghost story type way but should I be worried that anything in RotR will scare him? If yes, please just say yes and I'll decide if I need to figure out the spoiler answers.

Always so hard to predict with kids. My 9 year old is solid as a rock on anything but yet It's Tough to be a Bug brings him to tears to this day. So, :confused3

But my two cents - I think he'll do fine. It's a surprisingly bright (literally) and fun ride, not so much dark and scary.

Good luck.

Always so hard to predict with kids. My 9 year old is solid as a rock on anything but yet It's Tough to be a Bug brings him to tears to this day. So, :confused3

But my two cents - I think he'll do fine. It's a surprisingly bright (literally) and fun ride, not so much dark and scary.

Good luck.

Those spiders scare me!
If it’s not dark and spooky I think he’ll be fine too. SW has a very different aesthetic then HP.

If he can handle the meet and greets and has done jedi training, he should be fine. Maybe warn him the cast aren't Disney friendly if that would bother him, they are in character and sort of sternly talk to you, otherwise he should be fine. Our 9 year wouldn't have been able to handle it, but she flunked out of jedi training(the cm actually had to hand our crying kid off the stage in the middle of the show, but yes she really did want to participate) and she RAN in the opposite direction upon sight of a storm trooper. If none these have happened to you, you'll be fine.

If he can handle the meet and greets and has done jedi training, he should be fine. Maybe warn him the cast aren't Disney friendly if that would bother him, they are in character and sort of sternly talk to you, otherwise he should be fine. Our 9 year wouldn't have been able to handle it, but she flunked out of jedi training(the cm actually had to hand our crying kid off the stage in the middle of the show, but yes she really did want to participate) and she RAN in the opposite direction upon sight of a storm trooper. If none these have happened to you, you'll be fine.
Good to know about the in character CMs. I’ll let him know that they are playing characters. I think when he knows that he’s fine but if he thought they were being mean to him or were mad at him it might upset him. He enjoyed Jedi Training. Sorry your daughter had a rough time of it.

Good to know about the in character CMs. I’ll let him know that they are playing characters. I think when he knows that he’s fine but if he thought they were being mean to him or were mad at him it might upset him. He enjoyed Jedi Training. Sorry your daughter had a rough time of it.
The whole jedi training thing was a few years ago and it's honestly just one of the funny moments from our trips for everyone except maybe her, I don't think she's over it yet. No broken hearts about a jedi flunkees here:)

Just be warned that the characters are in character. So they can be a bit intimidating and will not let off that aspect. Its One of the things that turned me off the land. They will not break charecter even if they scare younger ones. Havent been for RotR , so cant speak for that. If there ok with the star wars theam and bad guys , you will be ok.

We just returned from WDW today and my 7yo had no problem. However, The possibility of it being too much for him never crossed my mind, so it probably depends on the kid. My kid doesn’t scare easily. He’s seen all the Star Wars movies and actually prefers the dark side characters.

please remember that the original poster asked for this to be a non spoiler thread. Please do not post anything about the ride itself or any specific components you might think are scary, instead just use general works like loud, or dark.
The mods will delete or edit your original post if you do so

Took my 12 year old niece, who is very imaginative and sensitive (she won't ride HM or ToT), and there were parts that she thought were a little scary, but it turned out to be her favorite ride in all of WDW.

Since I had the good fortune to be able to ride it at a previous trip, I told her ahead of time that there were parts that I thought were a little scary, because of how they've constructed the ride, but that she should remember that it's all pretend, and if she needed to, grab my hand, and that I was there to keep her safe. She did grab my hand for a squeeze at a couple of places.

We just rode last week and my kids are aged 11, 8, and 5 and all did fine with it. At some moments they were a bit concerned but they passed fast and overall they all loved the ride.

Compared to Tower of Terror they each have done that and have each indicated they don't want to do it again (largely for the creepy factor) - they didn't not feel the same about RotR, they all liked RotR

Trying not to spoil things, but there are a few "sudden" moments that might startle him, but I don't think anything along the lines of what you described upset him at the Universal rides

Overall, if he has done Jedi Training he should be fine!

We just rode last week and my kids are aged 11, 8, and 5 and all did fine with it. At some moments they were a bit concerned but they passed fast and overall they all loved the ride.

Compared to Tower of Terror they each have done that and have each indicated they don't want to do it again (largely for the creepy factor) - they didn't not feel the same about RotR, they all liked RotR

Trying not to spoil things, but there are a few "sudden" moments that might startle him, but I don't think anything along the lines of what you described upset him at the Universal rides

Overall, if he has done Jedi Training he should be fine!

Thank you! If your kids also don’t like the creepiness factor of ToT and we’re fine that’s hopefully a good indication.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter