Would we benefit from an AP discount?

Koz

DIS Veteran
Hello.

This August will be our first trip to Universal. Family of 5- with 2 adults and 3 kids. Total package price for HRH was $4,600, which included 4 quick-serv meals with beverages, so about $930 per person.

In such a circumstance, for our last-week of August trip, would we normally benefit from having one adult on the package be an annual pass holder? If so, what is the best case scenario we would hope for in terms of a discount?

Thanks- this is a very new area for me but I'm always one for saving $ when we can!

AP will most likely give you a discount at the HRH, they haven't released late August dates yet. to 30%, depending on how many nights that savings alone would easily pay for the pass, plus you get discount on food and merch. Generally it is better not to do the packages and just do it ala cart, hotel , tickets and food separate. Greater saving and flexibility that way but requires a little more work on the front end. I would cancel package if I could and book it separately and grab the hotel at the annual pass holder discount rate. Definitely get one annual pass, make that the preferred pass, and if any chance on coming back i would go ahead and get the others the seasonal passes as well as it isn't much more that a 3 day tick.

With 3 kids you will save a good deal with the merch and food discounts

I would definitely get a pass. Usually during the end of August and into September, they run additional passholder appreciation specials. The past two years, they have had a bunch of deals including buy one, get one half off on the quick serve meal deal, an annual photo pass, Blue Man group tickets among other things. With such a large group, the discounts on the food and merchandise that you get with a preferred pass are worth it.

As the previous poster mentioned, the package deals at Universal are rarely worth it.

This August will be our first trip to Universal. Family of 5- with 2 adults and 3 kids. Total package price for HRH was $4,600, which included 4 quick-serv meals with beverages, so about $930 per person.

the previous posters mentionned room discount with AP and possibly cancelling the package. I will say it's not an option for you

$4600 at HRH, unless you went for a suite, means you have at least a 7 nights stay at HRH with SMSM rate

there is no chance a APH rate will beat a SMSM 7 days rate. At best you would break even.
APH will compete with SMSM rate if you have a stay of 5 nights or less.
and, even if it did compete, price wise, there is a high possibility that you'd be getting an APH rate on a higher category room. It would probably not drive the price down, only get you a nicer room for the same price.

now if you were only doing a stay of 1 to 3 nights, then by all means, an APH rate would get you a bargain price (if released)

so from what you're telling us, the AP would only give you the discounts on merch and dining, but you've already purchased 4 days of meals.
It will still be worth it, depending on what you're quoted for the upgrade.

if you have 5 days ticket, you might even get money back to upgrade (not even kidding here) so yes, it's absolutely worth it

I still say cancel package due to the ability of being flexible up to one week before trip, you can cancel the trip with no cost in case life gets in the way.

With the package a 7 night package booked on the site it comes to $4600, if you break out the cost of the room in the package it is $2454 for just the hotel., which comes to $350/night and you will be able to find an APH rate cheaper. That being said you will have to check for the rates and monitor it, it will take a little work but booking ala cart and not as a package would save you money, plus able to cancel up to a week prior with a full refund.

What are your exact dates and what are the ages of the children? What type of tickets are you getting? What type of room do you want? With that info, we should be able to see what kind of deal you are getting. How many days are the quick service meal deals for?

When I check for last week in August right now, they only have club rooms with the stay more save more rate for $330/night and rack rate for a standard room is around $315/night. You should be able to do WAY better than that with an AP rate on a standard room.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback everyone, it's most appreciated. To confirm details, ages are 13, 10 and 6 and yes we did get the SMSM rate, which I believe only shaved $75 off the package price. We are in a club 2 queen room and took the unlimited ticket for the week as it was only a few dollars more. We also have 4 days worth of quick serve meals for the dates in question- Aug 24 to 31.

Last edited:

Currently we are booked family of 5 kids 15, 13, and 8 at RP July 28th to August 4th. Stay more, save more rate. Hotel was approximately 1800. Tickets through undercover tourist are pricing around 1600 (3 day 3 park with 2 extra days). Would one Ap be worth it for food discounts?

Currently we are booked family of 5 kids 15, 13, and 8 at RP July 28th to August 4th. Stay more, save more rate. Hotel was approximately 1800. Tickets through undercover tourist are pricing around 1600 (3 day 3 park with 2 extra days). Would one Ap be worth it for food discounts?
Check the AP sticky, they released discounts for your dates. May be cheaper than smsm.

Called Universal and was told that my SMSM rate was actually a higher savings than I'd realize with AP. One agent told me that I couldn't even get an AP discount unless I first made entry to a park with the AP, at which point I could then use it for discounts on hotels, food and merch. I don't know what to believe at this point.

Called Universal and was told that my SMSM rate was actually a higher savings than I'd realize with AP. One agent told me that I couldn't even get an AP discount unless I first made entry to a park with the AP, at which point I could then use it for discounts on hotels, food and merch. I don't know what to believe at this point.
Depends on the season dates which has the better discount
The season calendar rates are on the website with the percentages that are allowed for the smsm.

My fall dates begin with the smsm with a 7 night or more stay at 35% discount.
When the ap rates come out, they will not be close to the smsm rate i am getting.

(Maybe the TM looked at your dates and could see smsm was a better value for you.)

This is an older notice on the UO site as it only shows to beginning months this year.
But last year dates that are listed will be the same for 2018 when they post it.

'
3 Nights

4 Nights

5/6 Nights

7 Nights

Holiday, Peak And Summer

Feb 16 – Apr 7

May 25 – May 27

Jun 1 – Aug 11

Nov 21 – Nov 24

Dec 21 – Jan 5, 2019

10%
Cells.length ? ' ' : ''" style="box-sizing: border-box; word-wrap: break-word; padding: 20px 10px; vertical-align: middle; text-align: center; font-size: 11px; line-height: 15px; width: 178.015625px; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238); background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">

15%
Cells.length ? ' ' : ''" style="box-sizing: border-box; word-wrap: break-word; padding: 20px 10px; vertical-align: middle; text-align: center; font-size: 11px; line-height: 15px; width: 178.015625px; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238); background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">

25%
Regular And Value

Jan 7 – Feb 15

Apr 8 – May 24

May 28 – May 31

Aug 12 – Nov 20

Nov 25 – Dec 20

10%

20%

25%

35%

Looks like it won't copy for me to link it here for you to see.
go to the UO site and check out the seasonal date section
smsm is higher than the ap for some time periods at the hotels.

For your other question, once you have an active premier or preferred ap, it can be used for discounts in the parks, hotels and merch
premier and preferred always free garage parking.
power ap gives a 50% discount on garage parking.

All ap's do qualify for hotel discounts

Thanks very much for the info Macraven. I was really surprised to see how my initial booking went up nearly $1,500 since when I first booked a few months back.

One agent told me that I couldn't even get an AP discount unless I first made entry to a park with the AP

You can make a hotel (room-only) reservation with the APH rate if/when it's available, before purchasing an AP. You just have to show it to the front desk by the time they tell you to show it to them.

Many make a reservation with the ap discount code

Like Bumber stated you need to show proof of your ap during your stay in order to hold that booked rate

I have been at the lobby counter many times and have seen/heard a guest show their ap voucher was redeemed to the ap card

Staff note it and the guest’s rate stays valid

I read of many buying the ap or buy the multiday passes and up grading once at the park

Hotels are aware of this process and obviously support it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter