Would you be pleased with this batch of pins?

You folks just don't get it. Look on ebay. There are tens of thousands of pins for sale that are all scrappers. CM lanyards are full of them. Do you really think a few scrapper police on an internet board are going to change that? Pin trading with CMs is going to get you scrappers, PERIOD. Trading real pins with CMs is just plain stupid.

You need to accept that. If you want to trade, trade with individuals in the parks, or at pin stores. I'm sure all those individuals are 100% trustworthy.

The cat is out of the bag, has eaten the bag, defecated it out, and that has fertilized the earth as far as scrappers in pin trading.

The only way it will change is by a hardcore refusal of CMs to trade with little kids whose parents unwittingly/wittingly bought them some cheap pins on ebay to trade.

Yeah, that'll happen real soon.

-RO

I am sooo Looking forward to our family VaCa at Disney. And I was looking forward to pin trading.... now I am a little worried... We bought some pins last year at down town Disney... Now I am not sure i want my son to trade them.... :(

If you have a smartphone, you can check each pin via pinpics, to validate them before the trade. [/sarcasm]

Or, you can buy a lot off ebay for him to trade.

Regardless, any pins he trades will most likely be scrappers. He won't care, so it's up to you how much money you wish to spend on the scrappers he'll come home with, and treasure.

-RO

Youve got some high quality pins there. I like the donald one and i have the chip and dale one where they are tikis.

If you plan on doing some hardcore trading, you might want to buy more, depending on how long you are there and how many people plan on trading

I am sooo Looking forward to our family VaCa at Disney. And I was looking forward to pin trading.... now I am a little worried... We bought some pins last year at down town Disney... Now I am not sure i want my son to trade them.... :(

Hi Livvy, please don't listen to the "advice" of someone who posted after you, it is simply very very BAD advice. Instead please use the link in my sig to find some information on eBay sellers who are selling legit product at very good prices. :)

I guess let me just say how we trade our pins. We do buy from ebay, and like the OP I really have no idea how the dealers obtain their pins and from what source (it would be funny however if their source was actually Disney). I fully realize that pins are a piece of metal with a character on them. My kids like certain characters, they trade for those. If my kid trades for a scrapper, will I be upset? Of course not. I would not take the fun out of it for them by putting some kind of perceived value on the pin. Look on ebay for single pins. You buy them at the disney gift store for 7 or 10 dollars or whatever, you get them there for 3 or 4 dollars. They are hardly a big budget collectible. That is why I don't understand the fury over scrappers.

TO me, I could care less if I BOUGHT a scrapper for my collection. I would not be happy if the seller did not say what it was, but, for a buck, oh well. THAT being said, I would NOT trade my scrapper to a CM for a "real" pin. To me, thats wrong. Its fraud and why stick someone else with my lesson learned.

We ONLY buy our pins from WDW. And, if we trade, we purchase pins at the world and trade them. We do not buy lots of off ebay, because, well, frankly, anyone who does not think that 100 pins for $100 or less are fake is not firing on all cylinders. If you enjoy them, know they are scrappers, then keep them. Don't pass them along to a true collector, or some newbie person who wants to start collecting.

We're prepareing for our Orlando trip next month, and I just ordered 100 pins off ebay for $75 shipped. They are scrappers, I'm quite sure.

BUT, the cold hard facts are that CM lanyard pins are probably 80% scrappers. We went last October and had bought 30 pins off ebay. After getting them we realized they were scrappers. I was a bit concerned that they would be untradable. After seeing 2 CM lanyards, those fears were gone. I saw tons of the same pins on them. It took my son looking at MANY lanyards to find ones he wanted, but he loved doing it. It's a MUST for this visit. And I would be a total fool to buy real Disney pins at $7 each for my son to trade for scrappers on lanyards.

Disney has let this get so far out of hand that the scrapper police are right, but simple don't matter. If you plan on trading with CMs, you better buy scrappers on ebay before your trip, because I guarantee you that you are going to return home with scrappers. If you are willing to lose $6 minimum on each of your child's pin trades, "be my guest".

Disney makes so much profit off pins, and just buying a damn lanyard and medal make up for many scrapper pin trades. And I'm sure my son will buy a few real pins on the trip too, so Disney is still printing money for pins. A pin trader must be smart in what they trade and to who.

I've dabbled in pins. Hell, I have the Master Gracy lenticular from the first HHB that I got at the event. But even some seriously LE pins at events have errors on them. So saying scrappers have errors is irrelevant.

If you have the money to buy all your kids pins, get real Disney ones, if that's important to you. If your kid is going to trade, you get them off ebay one way or another. It's simply your decision how much you pay for them.

And if you see a unique pin, or multi level one on a CM, GRAB IT. Someone will be trading a scrapper for it, it may as well be you.

-RO
:sad2:
Thats the wrong attitude, and if people like you continue to knowingly fraud the whole process, it will go away.

Scrapper pins have been on lanyards for years now, and nothing's changed. When Disney is making 5-600% profit on the pins they do sell, they'll just keep doing what they're doing.

As I said, the fact my son does the trading has made him want real pins too. I think Disney looks at the scrappers and CM lanyards as the free, or reduced price, first hit on the drug that is pin trading. When you want the second, better hit, you'll pay $12 for a slider pin they made for $1.50.

Everyone's happy.

-RO

If you want real Disney discounted pins consider making the trip to the Disney Outlet stores near WDW. Both the Prime Outlet (near Universal) and Premium Outlet (near Disney) have Disney Outlets that sell real park pins at good discounts. Last spring they were selling pins for 99 cents and they make great traders! Even when they arent having the 99 cent sale, their pins are quite a bit cheaper than in the parks. As an avid pin collector and trader, this is the only way I gets traders for the parks. I dont trust Ebay....just too many counterfeit and scrapper pins get sold there.

Rastusos comment makes me sick....its sad that there are people out there that are only contributing to the problem of garbage pins on Disney lanyards.

I am really interested to read this thread and some of the comments on it.

I am new to trading, we bought our daughter a Lanyard and some pins on a recent cruise on the Magic. The pins cost quite a lot to buy, we did get some free pins (the Ten ones), each time we purchased, but she was really into trading, loving the Chip & Dales, Plutos - well animals really.

I also bought 11 pins on ebay, which having read through various posts, believe that 8 or 9 are Scrappers. I chose the person because they don't sell huge lots and also sell individual pins, but obviously this wasn't any guarantee and I didn't see the legit ebay sellers on here.

I also looked through her Lanyard, at the pins we traded and am sad to see that many of them are Scrappers too (it took ages to go through pinpics!!!). So having started with 20 or so 'real' pins (we purchased), we have half of that in Scrappers!!:confused:

Now I don't know what to do, I feel 'let down' that our lovely pins, we paid so much for have gone and we technially have rubbish in its place, She wants to trade (but has no idea what she is looking at, just likes 'characters') so what do I do? Buy real pins and just keep watching our money disappear onto the Lanyards of those that know what they are doing, or trade the ones on ebay and relax about it?

I know it isn't just about the money - she has a lot of fun with it, but it does hurt my pocket and I don't like to feel I have been 'done', or as we say in the UK 'stitched up like a Kipper'!!!

My instinct is as this pins have flooded the market and people are buying on ebay all the time, just let her trade the scrappers and have fun.

Kate

I w

I just bought 25 pins on ebay by an approved seller via the disboard list. I dont have them yet but I am afraid they are scrappers because the seller said traded for in the parks.... so how do you know:confused3 If the ones you are getting from CMs are scappers what can you do about it?

I just bought 25 pins on ebay by an approved seller via the disboard list. I dont have them yet but I am afraid they are scrappers because the seller said traded for in the parks.... so how do you know:confused3 If the ones you are getting from CMs are scappers what can you do about it?

It doesnt matter if a person is an approved seller or not...you dont know....thats why buying pins on Ebay is so risky.
Pin Pics is a great resource for looking up pins you get off of cast members. Often times I have come across scrappers or counterfeit pin on CM's...which is frustrating (especially when reading that people are dilberately putting garbage pins on CM lanyards). But when that happens I usually end up keeping the pin (and using them for craft projects) or tossing it. Which is why I never trade expensive pins, only those I have purchased at a discount at the Disney Outlets and are real Disney pins. I dont want to contribute to the problem or take away the fun of pin trading for others.

I'm new to pin trading too. When we were down last month I bought some mystery pins to use as traders. I didn't get any scrappers in return. I have the bug now. Last week I ordered a whole bag of scrappers of ebay. Returned them and got my money back. This week I ordered from a recommended seller and am awaiting a second order. Bought small HM sets that I liked. Got some other sets that I don't care for as much to use as traders. Hopefully these ones are better. Reading all this, I wonder if my mystery box approach is better. The ebay thing is beginning to seem unseemly. It's a shame that something as innocent as trading character pins as such an underbelly. Kind of turns me off. My daughter had a ball trading last time--really brought her out of herself. Again, the whole thing seems tainted now.:confused3

I dunno about you guys but when I spend $8-$12 on a pin at Disney, It isnt a trader, I paid that much for the pin because I liked it! hy would you spend that muxh on something you like then trade it away for something thats wither questionable in its authenticity or something else that you like. Why not just buy the pins you like and keep them?
I just dont understand the trading philosophy unless its for a finacial gain its a meaningless transsaction! You spent all that time at a shop looking at all the pins selecting the ones you like to give them away? I dunno...

I do a lot of trading in softball gear, I make a trade for one of two reasons.

1) I got a bat thats sucks and want a better one

2) Someone has offered me sa bat of greater value in exchange for one I have in my possession thats of lesser value.

I just don't trade a $300 bat for something inferior, its non-sensical in anyway! Which brings me back to my point, why would I trade a pin unleess there was something to gain?

Now a question for sll the xo called scrapper police who only buy pins at the park.

Why do you trade a pin that you painstingly searched for in one of the pinshops?

Don't flame me for this post please. If it makes you angry tell me why in a rational way just as I presented my analogy. No I dont buy scrappers on ebay to trade, I buy pins I like and squeeze em like precious gemstones! :)

I don't pay that much for traders, I pay $5 and under for traders but with 4 people trading that can add up quickly. I do buy traders on eBay and I sell pins on eBay too, but some pins you are unable to buy (unless it's a mystery pack and then you get extras) so you have to trade for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter