Would you cruise solo?

WebmasterPete

Grand Administrator
So, I'm thinking about taking a quick 3-night cruise on the Dream but wanting to do it solo. I'm comfortable traveling alone, but I'm starting to wonder if it's weird to cruise by yourself. I'm just wanting a long weekend, some serious spa time - no dining rooms. Is this bizarre or has anyone else cruised solo?

Pete

I've read lots of posts here from solo cruisers who seem perfectly fine with traveling solo. I travel a lot for business and often have the opportunity to do some sight-seeing/side-trips while traveling. However, I've always felt a bit "hollow" about it as I didn't have anyone that I know to share it with/chat with, etc. So, as much as I LOVE cruising, I don't see solo cruising as a great fit for me.

Traveling alone IS Fine and can be liberating.

Sailing Solo on DCL = Really Really REALLY expensive!!!
But if money isn't an issue - then GO FOR IT!!!!! :wizard:pixiedust:

Is there a NON Disney ship that would work for you out of PC or Miami for a similar cruise with a solo room? All of those other ships out there have tons of specialty dining and most of them use Steiner for the spas (as does / did DCL).

But if at the end of the day, it's all about you being pampered, enjoying Palo & Remy (I assume) and hanging out with Mickey, Minnie and the gang, then its the Dream for you (in more than ONE way!!)

Have Fun and Happy Sailing.

I
Traveling alone IS Fine and can be liberating.

Sailing Solo on DCL = Really Really REALLY expensive!!!
But if money isn't an issue - then GO FOR IT!!!!! :wizard:pixiedust:

Is there a NON Disney ship that would work for you out of PC or Miami for a similar cruise with a solo room? All of those other ships out there have tons of specialty dining and most of them use Steiner for the spas (as does / did DCL).

But if at the end of the day, it's all about you being pampered, enjoying Palo & Remy (I assume) and hanging out with Mickey, Minnie and the gang, then its the Dream for you (in more than ONE way!!)

Have Fun and Happy Sailing.

There are a few 3-night sailings coming up with VGT rooms at $1700 out the door (of course as a TA, I can take my commission off, so that helps). I'm not wanting to do the dining rooms, I really want 3 days where I don't HAVE to do anything except spa appointments and bathe (and even that's optional LOL). I'm tempted to do it but on the fence.

I've cruise solo on Norwegian, and it was a fun time. It was on the Norwegian Epic back when they had the studios for solo travelers (I'm not sure if they still dedicate those to solo travelers...) and a solo traveler lounge. I would meet up with other solo passengers in the evenings for dinner. And during the day, I just did my own thing - worked out, lounged by the pool, explored the ports.

I think I would sail solo on Disney. I'm a big Disney fan - I justified the cost of a Disney cruise for myself and a guest, so I think I could justify the cost as a solo cruiser, too.

So, I'm thinking about taking a quick 3-night cruise on the Dream but wanting to do it solo. I'm comfortable traveling alone, but I'm starting to wonder if it's weird to cruise by yourself. I'm just wanting a long weekend, some serious spa time - no dining rooms. Is this bizarre or has anyone else cruised solo?

Pete

I have done 6 solo cruises and I love them (except for the cost!).

My favorite thing is just getting to relax and do whatever I want.

You can skip the MDRs, but don't have to. I like meeting new people, but you can ask for a private table.

The nice thing is that you can also strike up a conversation with crew members or other guests if you wish. DCL cruisers are friendly and always willing to talk about the Mouse!

Go for it!

I’ve done 8 DCL cruises solo and loved every one of them. I’ve eaten with groups and at a table alone, enjoyed both. The main point I would make is that if you don’t try it you won’t know. Even if you don’t like doing it solo you’ll only be out three days. Not much to lose since you already know you love the product. Go! Have fun!

I think you'll find many people who cruise solo. If you are comfortable doing it, go for it!
If you've cruised DCL before and know the ship and what to expect I think it would make that experience easier.
I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. When I experience cool/nice things, I always want someone to share it with. I have a hard time just really relaxing and soaking it all in alone.

I would do it in a heart-beat, especially if I could get the pricing that you are looking at. 3 days of spa treatments and lounging and relaxing and just doing what you want when you want? That sounds fantastic!!!

I have booked my first Disney Cruise for December 2019. It is also my first solo trip. So, my answer is YES!

You can hole up in your cabin, get some spa time, lounge around in the adult only areas and eat where and when you want.

You can talk to strangers and possibly make new friends or avoid people completely; it’s all up to you.

I think our society puts way too much emphasis on coupling. I personally enjoy spending some time by myself, unwinding, and doing what I want when I want without consulting anyone else. I like groups too, but sometimes I want to pull a Greta Garbo and be alone.

When you are finished with your solo trip, you will feel rested and rejuvenated and will be able to appreciate all the people again.

I

There are a few 3-night sailings coming up with VGT rooms at $1700 out the door (of course as a TA, I can take my commission off, so that helps). I'm not wanting to do the dining rooms, I really want 3 days where I don't HAVE to do anything except spa appointments and bathe (and even that's optional LOL). I'm tempted to do it but on the fence.

Why are you on the fence?

In my younger days I did a Contiki tour solo. Met a lot of people, drank a lot, had a lot of fun, and still in touch with a couple of them to this day.

For solo cruising, I'd be amicable to doing it. Given that most cruises have solo meet-ups + the ones organized here/on CC/elsewhere I don't think I'd lack for meeting new people.

I always cruise with my wife and kids, and would not want to cruise without them.

That having been said, if there ever came a situation where I had to cruise solo (e.g., work-related), I think it’d be pretty awesome to have complete autonomy like that for a few days.

I wouldn't, but that's because I've done so much travelling alone and I'm now enjoying sharing that with my family. I would be lonely.

But your situation is different. If you're looking for some quality spa time and you don't want to have to acquiesce to what others want or schedule around their plans, then sailing solo would be great. You get to relax as much as you want, but you can also meet people and see cool things. What's not to love? Other than the double cost, lol.

I don't think it's weird to cruise alone. I wouldn't personally, but we are all at different life stages... and, I also don't live close enough to Florida or any cruise port where a 3 night cruise is viable for me!

I'd do it if the price weren't a factor. I have thought of doing it in the past, but haven't pulled the trigger as it is VERY hard to wrap my head around paying very nearly the same price for just me as both my husband and I. When I travel solo it is because he doesn't get as much time off, and it seems doubly cruel to go on a vacation he wants to be on AND spend a bunch of our money to boot. :rotfl2: At least with other destinations I can say well, I can book single rooms and am only paying for one entrance fee/meals.

Although I've gone to WDW solo many times, I can't see cruising solo. I just can't get beyond the fact that the charge you twice as much for the cruise. Yes, WDW charges you the whole room charge, even though only one is staying there, but cruises also charge you as if two people were eating. Since when does one person eat twice as much? Does anyone know of anywhere that charges, maybe 150%? That would take into consideration the charge for the entire room, but eating for just ONE person.

Although I've gone to WDW solo many times, I can't see cruising solo. I just can't get beyond the fact that the charge you twice as much for the cruise. Yes, WDW charges you the whole room charge, even though only one is staying there, but cruises also charge you as if two people were eating. Since when does one person eat twice as much? Does anyone know of anywhere that charges, maybe 150%? That would take into consideration the charge for the entire room, but eating for just ONE person.

Lines sometimes have specials for solos and some lines have solo cabins.

I think it would be awesome to take a solo cruise. As much as I love cruising with my family, I would also enjoy a bit of "me, myself and I" time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter