Would you cruise solo?

I've cruise solo on Norwegian, and it was a fun time. It was on the Norwegian Epic back when they had the studios for solo travelers (I'm not sure if they still dedicate those to solo travelers...) and a solo traveler lounge. I would meet up with other solo passengers in the evenings for dinner. And during the day, I just did my own thing - worked out, lounged by the pool, explored the ports.

I think I would sail solo on Disney. I'm a big Disney fan - I justified the cost of a Disney cruise for myself and a guest, so I think I could justify the cost as a solo cruiser, too.
This. Norwegian has a special section of their newer ships just for solo cruisers. Instead of paying double, you pay about 60-65%. So not quite 1/2 the price of two people, but certainly not the same price! Check out their Breakaway - several 3 and 4 night cruises from Miami. Or, if you want a solo cruise elsewhere, the Epic has 3 and 4-night European cruises.

I love my family, but also love traveling without them. If you're comfortable with it, you should do it. There is something for me that is so relaxing to cruise on my own schedule without my kids asking what we're doing next.

Solo cruiser all the way here!

But I also like the MDRs and hate Cabanas in the evening - on a 3-night it would only be open the middle night, so you'd have to do deck food or pay for Palo or Remy the first and last nights.

Hi Pete! I often travel solo on DCL. I have a high stress/pressure job and need to get away a couple of times a year where I don't have to take care of anyone but me.

The thing I like most is if I feel like talking to someone I'll hang out in the adults area and people are very friendly. If I find someone interesting to talk to I'll have a good chat. If I find them not very interesting I just move along and sit by myself and read. This coming June I've reserved a Cabana on Serenity Bay for just myself and I can't wait to do that. That is the ultimate in getting away from stress!

Hope you enjoy yourself if you decide to do this.

No! I have and would cruise without my spouse, but not alone. It’s sounds lonely not having someone to go with you.

I honestly think it depends on what you make of it. For me, I love travelling solo. I do family trip every year and a solo trip and have included a solo cruise at least 7 times now. I have never felt lonely on any of my solos. I think until you try it you really don't know. I agree the DC L prices annoy me so I tend to go for cheaper options (such as transatlantics where you get more days for your money) but I have never once felt lonely solo on a cruise. There are so many activities you can get involved in or not depending on the mood you are in. I actually enjoy sharing a table at dinner as you get to meet new people and chat about your day and theirs. Its a really nice atmosphere and people are so friendly.

It is not weird to cruise by yourself. It can be very healing.

There are often a couple meetups for solo cruises on board. If you do decide to do the dining rooms, they do assign tables with other solo cruises. I don't blame you if you don't want to do the dining rooms, though. To me, they take way too long.

I travel solo to WDW every fall and the last 2 years, I have added on a cruise before my trips. I love the DCL ships and have sailed with them several times with my girls. But going solo is just as great, probably better because I don't have to worry about them. It is probably the most relaxing times that I have every had on a vacation.

For 3 nights? I'd do it in a heartbeat. Only issue I have with cruising solo is - don't they charge you as if you were cruising for two?

I've done WDW alone for my 50th (on points so no double charging) and I was in HEAVEN! :) I have no trouble eating alone, because I read a book (ipad was with me always). On the cruise, I'm sure you'd be seated with others - and you can meet & have pleasant, interesting conversations (hopefully).

Have fun - bon voyage!

I have never cruised solo, but I certainly would make good use of the room service menu since that is included in the price (plus tips, of course) Especially if the weather is nice and you have a verandah for al fresco dining.

Me, no I wouldn't cruise solo; just not my thing. But I've seen plenty of people do it on DCL and I don't think it's weird. If it's something you think you'd enjoy, just do it. It's your time and money, spend it how you want it. If you're concerned that other people will think it's weird: (a) who cares, you don't know them and they don't know you and (b) no one knows if you're solo, a single parent who has kids in the kids clubs, or part of a larger group and just choosing to spend part of your day alone or doing something different.

Sounds like heaven to me!

No! I have and would cruise without my spouse, but not alone. It’s sounds lonely not having someone to go with you.

It is AMAZING! You are completely on your schedule!! Even if you and your friend you're cruising with are ok with doing separate things, it's just weird having someone else in the cabin.

I don't think it's strange at all. I've never considered a solo cruise, but I have seriously considered solo WDW trips! Still am, actually.

On our last cruise, we were seated with a young woman visiting from Australia at dinner. She was supposed to be in Boston visiting a friend, but the friend suddenly got called away on business, so the Australian woman was on her own til she got back. Instead of paying for a hotel, food, attractions, etc. in Boston, she decided to cruise! Not only did it keep her busy, she said it was cheaper to do! She was able to do a B2B on 2 different ships and it sounded like she was having an amazing time. I actually envied her quite a bit!

I’ve done a solo cruise on the Dream and loved every bit of it! I would do it again in a heartbeat if it weren’t for the price!

Melissa

Do it!!! Thanks to my Disney obsession I’ve gotten very comfortable traveling solo. I am dragging my mom along on my cruise in May because I really wanted to do DCL and couldn’t afford to pay the two person cost myself. (Although when we added in the room upgrades she required I could’ve done an inside room solo for close to the same price!!!) It also does feel like a ripoff that they charge you the exact same price as one person verses two. If it weren’t for money I’d happily go solo. Best part about traveling solo is being able to do exactly what you want when want to!

I know one day I will probably have to. My oldest is headed to college in just a few months and I'm sure my youngest will in her time. My spouse hasn't traveled with us in 10 years as he likes to do his own thing. I love traveling with my girls but I also love to cruise so I know I'll be all right.

ETA: And as much as I like the look of the NCL Studio rooms (and I know @Dug720 doesn't) I can never find them at a good price. For example, for a five night sailing in two weeks the price breakdown is: Studio-$699, Inside-$518, Oceanview-$698, Balcony-$599, Spa-$1798, Mini-Suite-$824, Haven-$3298. Obviously, that is based on availability but it kind of cracks me up.

Last edited:
I would, but I wouldn't do it on DCL. If you want some quiet time, DCL, for me, wouldn't fit the bill. It's not that I don't like it (I'm gold on DCL), it's just that parts of the ship can be sensory overload for me and it's very hard to avoid those areas - the pool deck, dining rooms, etc. I also find the spa on DCL to be lacking and way overpriced. If I were to do a solo cruise, I would probably pick a line like Celebrity. It's really quiet and laid back, the spa is nicer and you will most likely find a much better price point.

I would, but I wouldn't do it on DCL. If you want some quiet time, DCL, for me, wouldn't fit the bill. It's not that I don't like it (I'm gold on DCL), it's just that parts of the ship can be sensory overload for me and it's very hard to avoid those areas - the pool deck, dining rooms, etc. I also find the spa on DCL to be lacking and way overpriced. If I were to do a solo cruise, I would probably pick a line like Celebrity. It's really quiet and laid back, the spa is nicer and you will most likely find a much better price point.

For me I wish DCL beds still split in two and they would assign you roommate like the good old days of The Love Boat. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter