Would you go to MK ona non-party day for dinner and fireworks?

maswanson11

Mouseketeer
Planning our Epcot day in December for a non party day. Do you think it’s a crazy idea to spend the day at Epcot and then head to MK for 7:30 dinner ADR and stay for fireworks? Will it be insanely busy?

We are going to the party one night if our trip so we will see the fireworks at least that night. Hoping to try to see it one other night.

Thanks for advice!

Planning our Epcot day in December for a non party day. Do you think it’s a crazy idea to spend the day at Epcot and then head to MK for 7:30 dinner ADR and stay for fireworks? Will it be insanely busy?

We are going to the party one night if our trip so we will see the fireworks at least that night. Hoping to try to see it one other night.

Thanks for advice!

Fireworks are different for party and non-party nights, so I say see both. Most MK days are busy non-party nights so I think it's totally manageable to do dinner and fireworks after a day at Epcot. Depends on what time fireworks are that night too. Check the calendar for when you're going to match up the times. They just updated hours for second half of December so MK is opening early and closing late most non-party nights now.

We are doing something similar. We are going to AK during the day and will head over to MK for dinner & fireworks around 5. It’s a Saturday so I’m prepared for it to be super packed but it’s our only night to see the fireworks. It’s open until midnight so hoping to get a couple rides in after the fireworks. I think as long as you go in knowing it’ll be busy that’ll help. Can’t wait to see the castle lit up!!

I was at MK last Saturday and Wednesday, both non party nights. It was madness on Saturday and just crowded on Wednesday. About 2 1/2 hours before Happily Ever After on Saturday the hub was packed with people claiming their spots already. The gated area in front of Casey's that is recommended here was already full with people laying down. We didn't bother trying to get a spot that night. Thankfully had some Fastpasses to use otherwise the waits would have been too long for everything. Mistakenly tried to exit the park right before the show started. Could barely move through the crowds when we got to the hub, the show ended before we made it to the exits.

On Wednesday we got a decent spot in that area by Casey's about 1 1/2 hours before the show. It was pretty full about 45 minutes before. It's certainly doable, just hope you don't pick a day like last Saturday.

Yes, expect it to be busy. Every time we have done MK on a non party night, it is crazy busy.

We are doing something similar. We are going to AK during the day and will head over to MK for dinner & fireworks around 5. It’s a Saturday so I’m prepared for it to be super packed but it’s our only night to see the fireworks. It’s open until midnight so hoping to get a couple rides in after the fireworks. I think as long as you go in knowing it’ll be busy that’ll help. Can’t wait to see the castle lit up!!

Our Saturday during our trip is exactly the same plan. AK for the day, dinner at Park Fare, and then MK for fireworks and the kiss goodnight!

My son and a friend did the MK on a party night this past Monday. It was packed. The crowd level predicted was a 6, but actual crowd ended up being a 8. They had a great time, though. Had dinner at Casey's corner, did shopping/browsing around Main Street USA, watched HEA at 9. Many people left after the first fireworks show, but they stayed as they heard that they were doing a second Fireworks Show (once upon a time) at 9:45, so they watched that.

Expect heavy crowds, but if you can handle it why not.

Last Saturday, touring plan predictions were off too (underestimated) -- actual crowds were recorded for a 10 for this non-party night (original estimate was an 8) -- end of Jersey week. A 10 in November. Crazy. None of us were there to experience that, though.

DS was originally pretty excited to be touring on what would supposedly be a crowd level 6 day with some pretty reasonable waits for things he didn't have FP for, but soon found out that touring plan original predictions were off, standby lines were longer, and ended up switching fastpasses around to do some must dos and skipped some other things. (e.g. gave up a peter pan fastpass - did not care that much about that to get one for Pirates that DS's friend really wanted to do and had a stand by line much greater than predictions. Skipped Peter Pan, Big Thunder, Jungle Cruise, and It's a Small World as lines were longer than what they were worth stand by. // not going there to do attractions is what makes plans doable for you. DS and friend made the mistake of waiting for 7DMT (wait of almost two hours) originally predicted to be 38 minute. After that they stuck to lines under 25 minutes for standby. They'd still rate their experience a 10 out of 10. But an eight crowd level vs. a 6 really is a big change in lines waits. The MK, though, is a fun place to take in just wandering around, etc. These two young 20 somethings enjoyed the parade, show, browsing gift shops, and two fireworks shows for sure.

Last edited:
I was at MK last Saturday and Wednesday, both non party nights. It was madness on Saturday and just crowded on Wednesday. About 2 1/2 hours before Happily Ever After on Saturday the hub was packed with people claiming their spots already. The gated area in front of Casey's that is recommended here was already full with people laying down. We didn't bother trying to get a spot that night. Thankfully had some Fastpasses to use otherwise the waits would have been too long for everything. Mistakenly tried to exit the park right before the show started. Could barely move through the crowds when we got to the hub, the show ended before we made it to the exits.

On Wednesday we got a decent spot in that area by Casey's about 1 1/2 hours before the show. It was pretty full about 45 minutes before. It's certainly doable, just hope you don't pick a day like last Saturday.

Yeah -- I saw the touring plan prediction of an 8 for Saturday and actual crowd level of 10 (insane)

Wednesday the 15th was predicted to be a 5 by touring plans, but was a 7.

And the day DS went Monday was predicted to be a 6, but was an 8.

The non party days crowds already predicted be much higher than party days were way more crowded than expected based on historical trends and predictions of touring plan for sure to our disappointment. Still fun to go to the MK though. And DS wanted to see fireworks and DS did not want to do a party. // Just saying I feel your pain and that we were in a similar boat. I have experienced level 10 crowds Christmas week at the MK (I try to avoid a 10 these days), but never in November. That is sooo crazy for Saturday. Nice that you had some fastpasses.

Go on a weekday if you have a choice. Locals soaking in the holiday atmosphere add to the crowds on the weekends. My 2 cents.

We're doing almost the same on a Wednesday in December and I'm nervous about it. Tried to book a fireworks dessert party just in case, but they've been booked up for ages. I keep checking, but no one has dropped a reservation yet. That night the park will be open until 1 with EMH. It's a predicted 5/10, but I have my doubts.

Thanks for advice!
Will you be able to see the fireworks at Epcot another night? Personally, I love the holiday version of illuminations if you have not seen it before.

Thanks for advice!
What time are the fireworks? What day of the week is it? I doubt you'll have time to find a spot after a 7:30 dinner reservation.

What time are the fireworks? What day of the week is it? I doubt you'll have time to find a spot after a 7:30 dinner reservation.

This! It will be packed by the time you get out of dinner. Maybe look for an earlier reservation if you're wanting to see the fireworks in front of the castle, or anywhere on Main Street.

We did this last year week after thanksgiving. Hopped to MK wed night for fireworks. Got there about 7pm and it was already a madhouse in the hub.

Tend to agree with the last two posters. The popularity/newness of HEA combined with the supply/demand imbalance during party season is a recipe for large crowds on non-party nights.

I do recommend trying to see HEA though if you can find a way to fit it in, it’s a great show. Might need to re-think your dinner plans.

We plan to hop to MK mid week during our 12/10-12/16 trip this year. We have a 4:30pm reservation at Hollywood studios, then will head to MK when dinner is done. I expect it to be crazy, but also expect it will be less busy than the Monday of that week which is the other day MK is open at night without a Christmas party.

So definitely go! But be prepared for big crowds and plan accordingly :)

We did this last month, and the park was crazy busy. We had dinner and went on one ride, and then gave up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!