Would you want a stranger approach you about your childs behavior?

MidgeD79

It's a Small World summer of 2017
This question is being prompted by a thread on the resorts board. There were complaints from people on the concierge level at WDW who were disrupted by an autistic girl in her 20's who was drinking from the ladle at the punch bowl and licking donuts and putting them back on the tray. THe behavior was brought to the attention of a cm who said the family comes all the time and that was the expected behavior. My question is if that were your child how would you handle it if someone approached you and pointed out your childs inappropriate behavior?

I have been posting on that thread. My son has a variety of "invisible" handicaps. I would watch him closely if I knew he was prone to doing something like this, and would not allow him to do so, even if it meant not letting him into the lounge. That "expected" behaviour is completely and unequivacably unacceptable. Period. I don't care what the child's disability is, it should not be allowed, and in all honesty, I can't believe the CM's didn't intervene. That's a health hazard. Had I seen it, I likely would have contacted the manager of the resort at that point.

If he was doing something and I "missed" noticing it, and someone approached me on it, I'd be mortified, thank them for letting me know, and hustle him away, very quickly.

My mom's best friends son has CP and the mental capacity of maybe a six year old at the age of 45. But even he has manners and knows right from wrong.

Anne

That's a good question.
There is a difference between behavior that might be considered possibly annoying to others and behavior that could be considered possibly harmful to others. It may not be possible for the parents to intervene in to situation that is annoying without making the situation worse (and annoying might be annoying, but annoying doesn't really hurt anyone). But (at least IMHO) the parents have a responsibility to prevent possible harm to other people.
IMHO, this behavior crosses the line. If it is the "expected behavior", then the CM and the parents are knowingly allowing something that could harm someone else. They need to think of other ways to handle the situation - not knowing the young lady, I don't know what to suggest. But, if they can't come up with something that provides for the young lady's needs and the needs of the other guests, she should not be able to get her own food at the Concierge Lounge.
Disability is no excuse for putting other people in harm's way.

I posted on that thread also. I believe in this case, that someone should have approached the Parents. It's a health hazard. The Parents should have been supervising her. My son has ASD, and I'd never allow him to touch, let alone lick food intended for the public. I feel bad for the girl though. By the way, after reading that thread, I'd never stay concierge. Too much craziness going on with people. :guilty:

UPDATE to read the whole story it is on page 9 post 126 on the concierge posting. BTW it was at Universal studios not WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter