"Wow... those people must be REALLY hungry" - our 13 day eating extravaganza! **Updated 9/30**

That's right, I like my alcohol brightly colored, full of sugar, and (ideally) served with a glow cube. :laughing: The Welsh Dragon is made with peach schnapps, melon liqueur, Crème de Menthe, orange and pineapple juices. On this very hot day/evening, it was very fruity and refreshing.

I've always wanted to try one of those!

Sticky Toffee Pudding
Steamed cake with warm vanilla custard and Hot Butter-Rum Sauce

That looks so good! We had a version of sticky toffee pudding at the WWOHP, but just looking at this one I'd say yours was probably much more delicious.

yay! Great report so far. Glad DH was able to stay safe with you in FL....

I agree with your colorful and sugary drink criteria! Though I do love a good Black & Tan at Rose & Crown. But those Scotch Eggs! I've never had one but have seem them around the DIS multiple times now and they looked scrum

That Whiskey flight looks amazing, but from your review it sounds like I should try a different one while I'm there :)

I love Jaffa cakes, but would have had to go with the sticky toffee, too. It looks delicious.

At home, we typically try to a low carb/ketogenic diet... but on vacation, all notions of healthy eating go right out the window! I haven't gone through all my pictures yet, but I'm pretty sure you can actually see us gaining weight each day! We LOVE food!!

My DH and I do the same thing! :D We follow a keto diet (most of the time haha), but when it comes to vacation, there are no rules!!

Loving your reviews so far. Looking forward to the rest!

Looks like a great night at Rose and Crown. I had no idea they even had a second level there, let alone one with outdoor seats. Looks like the perfect night to start your vacation with

I'm so glad to read about Rose & Crown! It's been on my list of restaurants to eat at ever since I studied in London. It's my taste of my home across the pond! I'll be getting dinner there in February and am getting SO excited!

I'm excited for you! I've never been to England, so I can't speak to Rose & Crown's authenticity - but we have never been disappointed with our experience there!

I've always wanted to try one of those!

That looks so good! We had a version of sticky toffee pudding at the WWOHP, but just looking at this one I'd say yours was probably much more delicious.

If you aren't able to get an ADR, you can always stop by the pub and get a drink!

yay! Great report so far. Glad DH was able to stay safe with you in FL....

Thank you! I was somewhat excited for a solo adventure, but having DH there for the entire trip was fantastic!

Joining in! I really could use that Welsh Dragon right now!

:welcome: You and me both... I would love to be sipping a Welsh Dragon right now! I've been lurking along with your Dining Report - really emjoying it!

I agree with your colorful and sugary drink criteria! Though I do love a good Black & Tan at Rose & Crown. But those Scotch Eggs! I've never had one but have seem them around the DIS multiple times now and they looked scrum

I found another drink that I really enjoyed at Rose and Crown later in the trip, the Cider and Black. Very refreshing, and not as overwhelmingly sweet!

That Whiskey flight looks amazing, but from your review it sounds like I should try a different one while I'm there :)

Definitely try a different one, this one was 'meh'. DH's favorites are the Macallen Flight and the Johnnie Walker flight.

I love Jaffa cakes, but would have had to go with the sticky toffee, too. It looks delicious.

The Sticky Toffee was great - the perfect ending to the meal!

Rose and Crown during Illuminations is the best!

It really is! The perfect beginning to a trip!

Reading along!

:welcome: Great to have you along!

My DH and I do the same thing! :D We follow a keto diet (most of the time haha), but when it comes to vacation, there are no rules!!

Loving your reviews so far. Looking forward to the rest!

Hello fellow-Ketoer! After two weeks of vacation eating, we are having a really hard time getting back on track! We've got a cruise coming up next month, so at this point, we're just trying not to get TOO out of hand before then :rolleyes1

Looks like a great night at Rose and Crown. I had no idea they even had a second level there, let alone one with outdoor seats. Looks like the perfect night to start your vacation with

Thanks! They have an outdoor patio on the main level (where the restaurant is located), then a small set of stairs down to a lower level patio. We typically prefer the lower level, but really, any seat outdoors is great!

Skipper Canteen
After a busy morning in Magic Kingdom, we found ourselves getting hungry about 2 hours before our scheduled ADR at Skipper's Canteen. A quick look on MDE while in line for Jungle Cruise, and we were able to walk right over for lunch after our 2-week journey though the jungle!

This was one of DH's requests. We've been here a couple times before, and I hadn't been all that thrilled with it - but I pick most of our restaurants, so I thought I should give him this one - lol.

I started with:

Falafel.jpg
Falls Family Falafel
A secret recipe of chickpeas, garlic, onions, lemon juice and herbs with white bean dip and tomato-cucumber salad
This appetizer is pure falafel perfection! The outside is crispy and not greasy, the inside is fluffy, pillowy and well seasoned. The cucumber salad pairs really well with the white bean & yogurt dip. I could happily eat this every day and not get tired of it!

At my urging, DH chose:

Cachapas.jpg
Orinoco Ida's Cachapas

House-made Corn Pancakes, Mojo-braised Pork, Black Bean Salad, and Avocado Cream
Oh My Yummy Goodness!!! Delicious and light corn cakes, moist braised pork, topped with cucumber tomato salad and black beans, with really flavorful avocado cream on the side. This dish was fantastic, maybe even better than my beloved falafel. Thankfully, DH was willing to split half and half with me! We both cleaned our plates in record time...

Which led to a few sideways glances from the table next to us. I heard one of the ladies whisper to her husband "Look, those people each got their OWN appetizer"! I smiled and thought to myself "Oh lady, you have NO idea - lol!"

On to the entrees! For the first time at this restaurant, I decided not to try to be adventurous - so I ordered:

Steak.jpg
Dr. Falls Signature Grilled Steak
Churrasco-marinated New York Strip Steak, Mashed Plantains, Toasted Brazil Nut-Pesto topped with Farofa
This is BY FAR the best entree I have had here. The steak was well seasoned and cooked to my liking. The mashed plantains were perfectly smooth and velvety. The pesto was the perfect way to bring everything together. I'm still not sure what Farofa is, nor am I sure whether or not I liked it. A quick google search tells me that farofa is a toasted cassava flour mixture. It did bring some texture to the dish, but it was almost a sandy texture. I kept eating it, because I couldn't really decide if I liked it or not. In the end, I decided that farofa was just okay to me.

DH was far more adventurous and ordered:

Whole Fried Fish.jpg
Whole Fried Fish
Served with Jasmine Rice, Grilled Scallions, and Soy-Ginger Vinaigrette

When this was set on the table, DH and I just looked at each other in awe! DH was a little intimidated, so he asked the server for the best way to eat it. She told him to just get in there with his fingers, so he did! He really enjoyed this fish - I believe it was a Yellow-Tail Snapper. I had a bite and thought it was pretty good, but a little 'fishy' for my liking. Plus, I'm not a big fan of eating something while it is still looking at me. And smiling at me... or sneering at me with it's pointy little teeth. The Jasmine rice that came with his fish was terrific! DH cleaned most of his plate and announced that he was happy to not be overly full... but all that was about to change!

At this point, with both of our entrees almost gone, I noticed that the family next to us could (or would) NOT stop looking at us. I smiled at them politely, DH looked over and said "Hi" to them - hoping that they would realize that we were aware of them staring at us. Our server came over and took our plates and asked us if we'd like the dessert menu. Is that even a question??? Of course we want the dessert menu! Upon hearing that we would like the dessert menu, one of the ladies at the table next to us proclaimed (quite loudly), "WOW! Those people must be REALLY hungry!!! They've had two appetizers, two large main dishes and now they're going to have dessert!" Their whole table (6 adults) kind of murmured in agreement. DH and I looked at each other and burst out laughing!! It took a bit of time for our server to return to take our dessert order, so thankfully, our very observant neighbors left before we ordered.

I asked the server for her suggestion. She mentioned the Kungaloosh and the Coconut Bar. Ultimately, I decided to go with something kind of light, so I ordered:

Coconut Bar.jpg
Coconut Bar with Pineapple-Basil Compote and Vanilla Cream
Vanilla Chiffon Cake with Coconut and Lime-White Chocolate Ganache

This was light and fruity, exactly what I wanted. The acidity of the pineapple cut through the sweetness of the white chocolate ganache. I didn't get much flavor out of the basil, unfortunately.

DH also wanted something on the lighter side, so he ordered:

Quick Sand.jpg
Quick Sand!!!
Jasmine Rice Pudding, Mango Sauce, Lemon Curd, Hibiscus Meringue, and Pineapple

Am I the only one who spent a lot of time being worried about quick sand as a child??? Anyway, this dessert was outstanding! I'm not usually a fan of rice pudding, but this one made me completely change my mind. It was creamy, cool, and delicious! That lemon curd and amazing and the hibiscus Meringue was so good! Next time we eat here, I am ordering this!

Now it's a good thing our table neighbors had left by this point, because I think their heads may have literally exploded. Why? Because our server also brought:

Kungaloosh.jpg Anniversary dessert.jpg
Kungaloosh
African-inspired Chocolate Cake with Caramelized Bananas and
Cashew-Caramel Ice Cream topped with Coffee Dust
That's right, we had FOUR desserts on our table!

Table of Desserts.jpg

DH and I couldn't stop laughing at the thought of what our former table neighbors commentary would have been like! In fact, I'm cracking up as I sit here typing!

The Kungaloosh was delicious, but heavy. The cake part was quite dense. My favorite was the bruleed banana. DH ate most of the Cashew Caramel Ice Cream. I think if we'd not been so full, and with so many other desserts to sample, we would have enjoyed it more. My notes about the Anniversary dessert are lacking, but I recall it being like a very thick and dense chocolate mousse. That might be completely wrong... but let's just go with it.

At this point, we were both completely stuffed and somewhat delirious. Our server brought over our check, we paid, and managed to roll ourselves back out into the heat.

Receipt.jpg
This visit to Skipper Canteen completely changed my opinion of this restaurant. In the future, I will happily agree to return. The food was great, the service was outstanding, and the atmosphere was great for a break from a hot, busy day in Magic Kingdom.

Up next... a return to Chef Mickey's!

This was one of DH's requests. We've been here a couple times before, and I hadn't been all that thrilled with it - but I pick most of our restaurants, so I thought I should give him this one - lol.
That was very selfless of you. My R generally only requests one meal also so I've gotta oblige!

Look, those people each got their OWN appetizer
Oh my gosh, you are so much more restrained than I am. I would've GIVEN them something to talk about :rolleyes:

DH looked over and said "Hi" to them - hoping that they would realize that we were aware of them staring at us.
:scared: So awkward. And rude! (Your neighbors, not your husband) Yeah at this point I would've stooped so low as to middle school maturity "take a picture, it'll last longer"

Am I the only one who spent a lot of time being worried about quick sand as a child???
Haha that was my exact thought and then you typed it! I blame it on us being the "Indiana Jones generation" watching all those adventure films where awful things like quicksand waited around every corner to eat up an unsuspecting protagonist. Actually now that I think of it, I may have learned about quicksand from a Gilligan's Island re-run. Terrifying!

Now it's a good thing our table neighbors had left by this point, because I think their heads may have literally exploded. Why? Because our server also brought:
:rotfl2: I wish you could have kept the neighbors and taken a picture of their faces upon seeing the four desserts. That is just the best!

Glad you had a great meal and now I am wishing for falafel. Like others have mentioned we (well, I... R kind of does whatever) do keto at home too so reading and thinking about vacation food is the best kind of torture!

If you aren't able to get an ADR, you can always stop by the pub and get a drink!

We'll probably try it someday, but it's not one we're super interested in so we've never tried to get an ADR. I always intend to stop in and get a drink, but I always end up too full :rotfl:

This appetizer is pure falafel perfection! The outside is crispy and not greasy, the inside is fluffy, pillowy and well seasoned. The cucumber salad pairs really well with the white bean & yogurt dip. I could happily eat this every day and not get tired of it!

Yum this is what I want to order!

When this was set on the table, DH and I just looked at each other in awe! DH was a little intimidated, so he asked the server for the best way to eat it.

I'm a little intimidated :scared1:

Upon hearing that we would like the dessert menu, one of the ladies at the table next to us proclaimed (quite loudly), "WOW! Those people must be REALLY hungry!!! They've had two appetizers, two large main dishes and now they're going to have dessert!"

Because someone eating a 3 course meal on vacation is insane? :rotfl: Those people were so rude!

This was light and fruity, exactly what I wanted. The acidity of the pineapple cut through the sweetness of the white chocolate ganache. I didn't get much flavor out of the basil, unfortunately.

This also looks so good!

! I'm not usually a fan of rice pudding, but this one made me completely change my mind. It was creamy, cool, and delicious!

Oh yum I really like rice pudding so this looks even better.

That's right, we had FOUR desserts on our table!

:thumbsup2 You go girl that's how you do dessert!

That's right, I like my alcohol brightly colored, full of sugar, and (ideally) served with a glow cube. :laughing:

the best people know that any drinks are better when served with a glow cube! :)

Upon hearing that we would like the dessert menu, one of the ladies at the table next to us proclaimed (quite loudly), "WOW! Those people must be REALLY hungry!!! They've had two appetizers, two large main dishes and now they're going to have dessert!" Their whole table (6 adults) kind of murmured in agreement.

I dislike people like this -- can't help but laugh at them for being so ridiculous. Glad to see the four desserts after that incident too :thumbsup2

At this point, we were both completely stuffed and somewhat delirious. Our server brought over our check, we paid, and managed to roll ourselves back out into the heat.

love the imagery here :rotfl:

Skipper Canteen is on my Disney wishlist to get to one of these days!! I have a lot of picky eaters in my fam so we can never go but everything looked amazing (esp the falafel omg).

and this...

Am I the only one who spent a lot of time being worried about quick sand as a child???

I was always worried too!!!!! It was a major fear for little me! Hahahahah

ooh, your lunch at Skipper Canteen looks sooooooo good! I had lunch there on my last trip and liked it (I got the steak salad), but I think I'd have liked it even better with the steak itself. And that rice pudding--yum! I'll have to make space for it on our next trip! :)

Also, those people at the other table need to stop worrying about what other people eat! It's Disney, you're walking tons, enjoy the yummy food. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter