WWYD: WDW or Hawaii honeymoon?

Mickeyflower

I find that The Dis is my happy place frequently
Our honeymoon budget is $3000. Ive been to both but neither trip was great due to the travel companions I had. He's never been to either. If we were to do WDW, I think we'd go with DVC point rental from a reputable company for probably 8 days. We live in CA so travel would take a big chunk of first and last day. We don't want to do DLR, as we are saving for the opening of Star Wars Land in a couple years.

Hawaii we'd stay probably in North Shore. Waikiki is where I stayed, and really, its just L.A. with bigger plants. He's an Army vet-Desert Storm-so Pearl Harbor is a MUST.

Both of us are excited for either option, but can't decide on which one. Thoughts? Opinion?

Thanks!

I would say Hawaii especially if it's possible to add in another island. To me, The Big Island and Maui are sooo much better than Oahu for my money. You could buy DVC points at Aulani and maybe stop in Kona/Hilo on your way out to view the volcanoes? Just my suggestion! I think that while WDW is amazing, it doesn't quite have that "honeymoon" romantic feel like Hawaii does (then again- maybe I'm biased since I live in Orlando! Lol)

I would say Hawaii especially if it's possible to add in another island. To me, The Big Island and Maui are sooo much better than Oahu for my money. You could buy DVC points at Aulani and maybe stop in Kona/Hilo on your way out to view the volcanoes? Just my suggestion! I think that while WDW is amazing, it doesn't quite have that "honeymoon" romantic feel like Hawaii does (then again- maybe I'm biased since I live in Orlando! Lol)

So funny you say that because I thought the same thing about WDW. BUUUTTT, Pandora is open now, and we could rent DVC points for AKV, so it could be romantic? I JUST DONT KNOW!! Oh the struggle:rotfl2:

Either place is going to be romantic because it's your honeymoon! :teeth: We had a dreamy honeymoon at Walt Disney World, but we also had a really romantic vow renewal and anniversary at Aulani. To me, Hawaii has the potential to be more of a relaxing, escape-type of trip than WDW, where it's so tempting to tour like commandos from park opening til closing. Then again, we jam-packed every single day of our stay on Oahu, so maybe it's more about the kind of traveler you are than where you go!

When we got engaged, I started looking at Hawaii and Sandals. I had not been to Hawaii in almost 10 years and had never been to a Sandals property. My DF had never been to either. Out of no where my DF said he wanted to go to WDW so we sat down, talked about the options and what was important to us in a honeymoon and decided WDW was the best bang for our buck. ( We're from Chicago so the airfare was a big factor ). We'll be doing WDW for 12 days and are taking a very laid back approach for this trip.

When we got engaged, I started looking at Hawaii and Sandals. I had not been to Hawaii in almost 10 years and had never been to a Sandals property. My DF had never been to either. Out of no where my DF said he wanted to go to WDW so we sat down, talked about the options and what was important to us in a honeymoon and decided WDW was the best bang for our buck. ( We're from Chicago so the airfare was a big factor ). We'll be doing WDW for 12 days and are taking a very laid back approach for this trip.

We're pretty laid back travelers too. We're both in our 40's and just can't do commando style touring.

Not sure when your honeymoon would be, but maybe save WDW for when all the new attractions/lands open up? They're building Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, the interactive Star Wars hotel experience, and the new Minnie/Mickey Runaway Train ride at HS, so maybe best to wait for that? Also, I'm sure Hawaii is very laid back :)

I'm a huge Disney World fan but also loved a recent Aulani/Maui trip.

Because Disney World is relatively cheaper, so much fun and so much to do without ever driving a car, I would do a Honeymoon at WDW (wearing Bride & Groom ears and a button, of course) and save Hawaii for an anniversary.

Not sure when your honeymoon would be, but maybe save WDW for when all the new attractions/lands open up? They're building Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, the interactive Star Wars hotel experience, and the new Minnie/Mickey Runaway Train ride at HS, so maybe best to wait for that? Also, I'm sure Hawaii is very laid back :)

We're looking at September 2018 as a possibility. No set date just yet (My only request was he ask my Father for his blessing :cutie:). Since neither one of us have children and won't be having any human babies-only the furry kind-we want it during an off season travel time for cheaper travel.

I'm a huge Disney World fan but also loved a recent Aulani/Maui trip.

Because Disney World is relatively cheaper, so much fun and so much to do without ever driving a car, I would do a Honeymoon at WDW (wearing Bride & Groom ears and a button, of course) and save Hawaii for an anniversary.

I never considered anniversary trip what a good idea!! I'll run it by him!

We went to hawaii but coming from the UK it is so expensive to get there because of the distance so it was a once in a lifetime no brainer for us. 2 weeks in hawaii cost about double what 2 weeks at wdw staying at a value normally costs us so we decided our honeymoon was the perfect excuse to spend the money and go somewhere on our bucket list! The north shore is beautiful and as others have said, you can always island hop.

Check out Lahaina Shores Beach Resort in Maui.Studios condos with full kitchens and grills. Food is a big expensive in Hawaii so being able to cook some meals saves alot.Beautiful and just steps to the beach. We use Vbro but you can rent directly from hotel.

I just gifted DD & SIL 5 nights@ DVC studio villa at AKL with airfare, 6 day parkhopper passes, and some gift cards (out of pocket cost with room points=$2300) and you could definitely enjoy just 2 parks (EPCOT & AK) with disney transportation included enjoy the DATW efforts: Disney's Drivin'.
I offered Aulani to them but the airfare and LONG plane ride was a deterrent for enjoying the trip (nothing deflates a vacation like schlepping home).
Have you considered a split stay at WDW then rent a car for DVC Vero Beach - Points or cash/room is doable). makes 2 vacations in one!

We're am going to WDW for our honeymoon in October/November. Originally we were planning a trip to Los Cabos, Mexico when a Dis-friend totally changed my perspective. He couldn't believe I wasn't going to WDW for our honeymoon. He said even if you go to WDW just for a day or two, you get to experience it as a newly-wed and you'll never get another chance to do that! You also will experience all the Cast Members and guest saying "congratulations" to you and surprising you with little favors and maybe gifts. That totally changed my perspective so I say hands down WDW, especially if you're a huge Disney fan. Make sure you wear your buttons and your wedding ears!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!