Yet another hard-learned ROTR BG lesson, report, pics and maps

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Yesterday was my second visit to DL since the launch of ROTR. I didn't get a BG either time, unfortunately. The first time (last Sunday), I guess I simply got unlucky. At about 90 seconds after 8:00, I was assigned BG 131. As we all know, a 131 is useless, in practice. Yesterday I encountered another issue, which also prevented me from getting one. I didn't figure out what happened until about an hour later but of course by that time it was already far too late. In short, I was through the park gates at around 7:40 and that all seemed fine. However, at 8:00 when I tried to get a BG, the app indicated that all of my party wasn't yet in the park. I was confused and wondered if perhaps my AP wasn't scanned properly when I entered. In fact, that's what two CMs explained to me. It was suggested that I go to City Hall to address the matter, however the line there was at least an hour long and I felt I'd already wasted too much time. Anyway, what I figured out eventually was that a friend was joining me that morning but because of all the traffic and long lines, she didn't get through the gates until about 8:40. Because her ticket was associated with my AP, that's why I wasn't able to get a ROTR BG. So: yet another lesson learned. ROTR has been open since 1-17 and I've yet to be on it. Meanwhile, several friends have been on it multiple times. Anyway...

I exited the 5 at around 6:45. Moments later I saw that traffic was backed up about 1/4 of the way over the overpass near M&Fs. So it took me approx. 35 minutes to get from my door to the parking structure (which is typical) and then another 40 minutes to get to the park gates. Security lines were long once again. DL could have made this part of the park approach far easier if they'd opened more lines. As I recall, only four or five were open. What's the point of having a dozen(ish) lines if they're not used? Everyone knew the park would be slammed yesterday.

Anyway, I was able to make rope drop and was first on PP. What was odd was that, although there seemed to be the usual rampage to FL/PP, once we got there it didn't seem that was where most guests were headed. Either that or CMs held them up for some reason at the PP entrance queue entrance.

I met my friend at the park gates about 50 minutes later. Since the park was already open, we went straight to Buzz and did that a few times. Then Space Mountain and later Pirates. Since I had the Grammys that night, we had to cut out early. I may visit the park this Wednesday to make up for the last two weird Sundays. I'll see how things go.

I've got more park maps if anyone would like a set. Simply send me a DM.

Pics.

Traffic as I approached M&Fs at 6:45.
IMG_1607.jpg

The crowds at the park gates at around 7:30. Pretty slammed.
IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

KAC closed for refurb.
IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

I was watching a Fresh Baked video this afternoon on Youtube and they were saying that the back up to get into Mickey & Friends was a nightmare on Saturday morning. Looks like you had a similar experience! Wowzer! We are going in March on a Sunday and a Tuesday. We'll be driving in from Fontana. I think we'll try for the Toy Story lot instead of Mickey & Friends.

There's going to be 6 of us in our group. If you'll be at DL on Sunday, 3/8, you're welcome to join our gang when we attempt to get a boarding group! It'll increase your odds at least because there'll be 5 out of the 6 of us with phones doing the click and pray bit. :-)

Looks like you had an awesome time at the Grammys!

Yesterday was my second visit to DL since the launch of ROTR. I didn't get a BG either time, unfortunately. The first time (last Sunday), I guess I simply got unlucky. At about 90 seconds after 8:00, I was assigned BG 131. As we all know, a 131 is useless, in practice. Yesterday I encountered another issue, which also prevented me from getting one. I didn't figure out what happened until about an hour later but of course by that time it was already far too late. In short, I was through the park gates at around 7:40 and that all seemed fine. However, at 8:00 when I tried to get a BG, the app indicated that all of my party wasn't yet in the park. I was confused and wondered if perhaps my AP wasn't scanned properly when I entered. In fact, that's what two CMs explained to me. It was suggested that I go to City Hall to address the matter, however the line there was at least an hour long and I felt I'd already wasted too much time. Anyway, what I figured out eventually was that a friend was joining me that morning but because of all the traffic and long lines, she didn't get through the gates until about 8:40. Because her ticket was associated with my AP, that's why I wasn't able to get a ROTR BG. So: yet another lesson learned. ROTR has been open since 1-17 and I've yet to be on it. Meanwhile, several friends have been on it multiple times. Anyway...
Glad you had a good time at the Grammys and sorry about all the ROTR frustration. Have you been following the ROTR Superthread on this board? Try going over the first 2 posts on the first page as an overview and the chart (which shows each day's data of when BGs opened up, when they were gone, when back ups were gone, etc.). Your problem with your friend's pass isn't uncommon. Make sure that everyone who won't be in your BG is unlinked from your app before park opening. Then try to make a MP for everyone in your BG before opening to see if their tickets/APs are working. If you can't make a MP for them, then they haven't cleared the gates or their tickets/APs weren't scanned correctly and you still have time to fix that. (These are tips that were posted on the ROTR Superthread.) May the Force be with you next time!

If you'll be at DL on Sunday, 3/8, you're welcome to join our gang when we attempt to get a boarding group! It'll increase your odds at least because there'll be 5 out of the 6 of us with phones doing the click and pray bit. :-)
Thank you. That's a very kind offer. I plan to be at the park on 3/8. Please feel free to DM me closer to the time and perhaps we can meet up briefly at the park gates/rope drop :-).

However, at 8:00 when I tried to get a BG, the app indicated that all of my party wasn't yet in the park. I was confused and wondered if perhaps my AP wasn't scanned properly when I entered. In fact, that's what two CMs explained to me.
This is why I suggest to friends that once they are in the gates, attempt to get a FP with MaxPass (if you have it.) . This will let you know if there is an issue with a ticket not being scanned.

Also, when you attempt your BG, when it show who is in your BG, you can unclick the other passes. It takes a second, but that just means you won't get the first 30 groups. The people at the table next to us this weekend had to unclick 3 people from their account and they got group 57. Otherwise, I suggest deleting everyone not getting a BG.

I am going to get a lot of hate for this I am sure but, if you are an AP holder, I think once you are able to get on the ride you should only be allowed to get a boarding pass as a backup for a couple weeks to give everyone an opportunity to get on the ride. Atleast for the first 6 months or something you can only ride it once every two weeks unless your backup boarding pass gets you on it.
I have seen so many people not be able to get on it who rarely get to visit Disney and then you go watch all the AP Vlogger videos who are out there every morning fighting to get a boarding pass. Some of have already been on it 5+ times while others cant even get a low enough group.

We'll be driving in from Fontana. I think we'll try for the Toy Story lot instead of Mickey & Friends.

I made a similar drive (about 10 miles west of Fontana) both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I planned to park in M&F and saw traffic backed up onto the 5 overpass of Ball Road at about 7am, made the quick jaunt over to Katella and parked at Garden walk at 7:25ish (1st hour free & $3/per additional hour). Sunday got there at about 6:45 and there was no line to turn left into the Toy Story lot from Harbor and only about a 5 min line to get to the parking booth. Toy Story is definitely the way to go unless you want to arrive quite a bit earlier than M&F opens.

I exited the 5 at around 6:45. Moments later I saw that traffic was backed up about 1/4 of the way over the overpass near M&Fs. So it took me approx. 35 minutes to get from my door to the parking structure (which is typical) and then another 40 minutes to get to the park gates. Security lines were long once again. DL could have made this part of the park approach far easier if they'd opened more lines. As I recall, only four or five were open. What's the point of having a dozen(ish) lines if they're not used? Everyone knew the park would be slammed yesterday.

Anyway, I was able to make rope drop and was first on PP. What was odd was that, although there seemed to be the usual rampage to FL/PP, once we got there it didn't seem that was where most guests were headed. Either that or CMs held them up for some reason at the PP entrance queue entrance.

I met my friend at the park gates about 50 minutes later. Since the park was already open, we went straight to Buzz and did that a few times. Then Space Mountain and later Pirates. Since I had the Grammys that night, we had to cut out early. I may visit the park this Wednesday to make up for the last two weird Sundays. I'll see how things go.

I've got more park maps if anyone would like a set. Simply send me a DM.

Pics.

Traffic as I approached M&Fs at 6:45.
View attachment 468941

The crowds at the park gates at around 7:30. Pretty slammed.
View attachment 468942

View attachment 468943

KAC closed for refurb.
View attachment 468944

View attachment 468950

View attachment 468951

View attachment 468952

View attachment 468949

We were there Sunday morning as well. The lines were nuts.

We saw Wendy Darling as well and the kids got her autograph. It was a huge highlight. Ten trips since June and we’ve never seen her. Hook was hanging with them as well messing with them and my almost nine year old Was in heaven. Definitely the character highlight of the day.

I am going to get a lot of hate for this I am sure but, if you are an AP holder, I think once you are able to get on the ride you should only be allowed to get a boarding pass as a backup for a couple weeks to give everyone an opportunity to get on the ride. Atleast for the first 6 months or something you can only ride it once every two weeks unless your backup boarding pass gets you on it.
I have seen so many people not be able to get on it who rarely get to visit Disney and then you go watch all the AP Vlogger videos who are out there every morning fighting to get a boarding pass. Some of have already been on it 5+ times while others cant even get a low enough group.

I’m all for this but for other selfish reasons.... I want my nice relaxing non crowded Sunday morning rope drop back! Ha!

So, do you think it should just be that way across the board? So we get APs when we go, but live in AZ and only come down every couple months. So we should only get to go once every couple trips? What about the people who get five day passes, should they get to go every day? Because then in a year they would have been allowed on the ride more than me just because I have an AP.

I TOTALLY get what you are saying, it's just an imperfect system without a good solution. The problem is there is no way to distinguish between APs who go 2x / week versus APs who go 2x every couple months.

Last edited:
I think APs should get to go once every 2 weeks or even once per week until things slow down a little. If you are spending the money to go to Disneyland you should be able to go on the new headliner attraction. People that have been on it even if they are 5 Day ticket holders should play second fiddle to those who havent had the opportunity to get on the ride. Imagine coming from Australia, spending $5000 for a week long vacation at Disneyland and not getting the opportunity to go on the headliner ride because people that have been on it multiple times get the boarding passes because they are more adept at using the Disney App then someone who doesnt have experience with it. Or Internet because they have to use park Wifi.

It is just such a broken system and I feel bad for out of towners that dont get to experience it because of APs/others taking all the boarding groups when they have already been on it before.

The lines for M&F is a prime example of why I always go for Toy Story, rarely is there more than 3 or 4 cars ahead of you and the buses come much more frequently (pretty much constantly at busy times) than the trams do.

I think APs should get to go once every 2 weeks or even once per week until things slow down a little. If you are spending the money to go to Disneyland you should be able to go on the new headliner attraction. People that have been on it even if they are 5 Day ticket holders should play second fiddle to those who havent had the opportunity to get on the ride. Imagine coming from Australia, spending $5000 for a week long vacation at Disneyland and not getting the opportunity to go on the headliner ride because people that have been on it multiple times get the boarding passes because they are more adept at using the Disney App then someone who doesnt have experience with it. Or Internet because they have to use park Wifi.

It is just such a broken system and I feel bad for out of towners that dont get to experience it because of APs/others taking all the boarding groups when they have already been on it before.
Honestly, that can't be done, even the Boarding Groups violate the terms and conditions on all tickets, as they clearly state unlimited use of all attractions, except arcades. Sine you can only get one boarding group per day, that is not unlimited use of all attractions.

But I do agree that it is a broken system, they should really just go to standby lines and say as long as you are in line by park closing you get to ride like they have done for pretty much every other attraction when it opened.

It is a tough system all around and there's no good solution unfortunately. Limiting people with AP's would be awesome but it'll never happen!

We're coming in for 2 days only, no Park hopper, from across the country!! So we'll have ONE shot at it!!! Kinda sucks!! And those 2 days are costing us $$$$$$$!! Granted we're coming to visit family too afterwards, but DL for 2 days and hotel is a lot!

WDW isn't exactly close either for us so that'll probably be at least another year and a half before we get there too.

And, yes I'm jealous of all those with an AP at either park- CA or FL! 😁 My ramblings come from a good place I promise!

So, do you think it should just be that way across the board? So we get APs when we go, but live in AZ and only come down every couple months. So we should only get to go once every couple trips? What about the people who get five day passes, should they get to go every day? Because then in a year they would have been allowed on the ride more than me just because I have an AP.

I TOTALLY get what you are saying, it's just an imperfect system without a good solution. The problem is there is no way to distinguish between APs who go 2x / week versus APs who go 2x every couple months.

Right. we live in Louisville, KY yet have AP. Well vouchers til May ( we haven't activated them yet). But I am going in May, Sept, Nov, then May again. Not all AP live in California.

Honestly, that can't be done, even the Boarding Groups violate the terms and conditions on all tickets, as they clearly state unlimited use of all attractions, except arcades. Sine you can only get one boarding group per day, that is not unlimited use of all attractions.

But I do agree that it is a broken system, they should really just go to standby lines and say as long as you are in line by park closing you get to ride like they have done for pretty much every other attraction when it opened.
I like that, but would say you need to be in line 4 hrs before park closing.
It's not uncommon for these headliners to end up having 6 hr lines. If the park closes at 12 and it is a 5hr line. Then the park opens the next day for MM at 7, that's not much down time for the ride or CMs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter