Yikes, bad press for Disneyland spa

If you are going to a spa to give your energy to a rock that "speaks" to you, accurate history is the last of your worries.

But I think I spotted the real issue in this quote.

"I was suddenly very aware I was standing in a room full of white people"

Last edited:
If you are going to a spa to give your energy to a rock that "speaks" to you, accurate history is the last of your worries.
I had a rich, eccentric boss that used to eat this stuff up. She once hired a Mexican shaman to bless our large group business conferences, and placed department heads’ desks in a new office based on the feng shui of how their departments’ goals corresponded with certain energy flows lol

Nobody "owns" culture or history or healing stories/myths. Disney will probably make changes due to their weak, pandering leadership, but they certainly aren't required to do so.

Is it true?

Legally US customs doesn’t allow authentic cultural artifacts into US without said country’s approval and a well researched provenance. Items get sent back to the country of origin. I saw a show about someone smuggling in thousand-year-old Egyptian items as an example. This stuff is stopped at the border all the time.

On eBay I’ve posted Native American items. They cancel some listings. Not everything can be resold as they are ethically considered tribal-belonging.

Nazi-stolen/smuggled art would be returned to original owner even if there were an intermediary that gave the art “innocently as a gift” to a receiver (like what happened in the article).

This isn’t very different. Sounds like at the very least the rock has a “provenance problem” if it was gifted by a third party, but the tribe claims ownership of it.

Either way - optics aren’t good IMO. Disney is not a museum. They don’t need to have authentic items such as these in their spa. They could have just themed it with reproduction like they do in their parks. If a rock comes from a tribe in which most members can’t even afford a foot massage in the spa then for the love of G let them keep their rock lol. It’s distasteful otherwise.

I don’t know what Disney is thinking sometimes! They remind me of my rich eccentric ex boss that I mentioned above. Eye roll.

Thread tile should be "Yikes, more bad press for Disney" - I swear that Disney is off it's rocker lately. But don't worry there will another PR blunder right behind this one; just like the CFO's fat shaming or the countless others, the fact they didn't check out the Indianettes like the should have and countless other PR blunders. It's clear Disney is lacking leadership that it once had.

Bottom line is Disney messed up trying to make up a story about a rock.
its what happened when you hire shallow PR people, who do not bother to understand the real work invloved in what Disney legacy has been trying to do for decades…..

s
I had a rich, eccentric boss that used to eat this stuff up. She once hired a Mexican shaman to bless our large group business conferences, and placed department heads’ desks in a new office based on the feng shui of how their departments’ goals corresponded with certain energy flows lol
sure hope that was not a public company.

And who gets to decide what the "correct" way is? Ah, therein ls always the problem these days. Nobody can ever agree.
Those people whose culture it is get first say, then the rest can bicker about the rest.

No one can agree, that is true, but in this case the tribe gets to have first say. If they say 'it is fine for Disney to make money of our culture', then we get to discuss if this is the marketing we want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter