YOAMD Extended?

SimonV

Proud to have called Bob Varley 'friend'
We've heard from an AP holder that their latest newsletter insists the Year Of A Million Dreams is being extended 'through December 2008.' Has anyone else heard this, as there is certainly nothing official on the WDW news website?

As you say, nothing official has been announced. But the rumor is that Jay Rasulo thinks that the YOAMD promotion is a big success, responsible for the increased attendance both at WDW and DL, and has decided to extend it through the end of 2008. In fact, the Disney Gallery at DL was recently closed in order to be made into an in-park YOAMD guest suite, much like the suite in Cinderella Castle is currently being used. There are other big changes being made at DL for the extended YOAMD, but I haven't really heard much about what will happen at WDW.

I just checked the AP website, and although there is nothing there, the Mickey Monitor (which is the newsletter which you can download as a PDF file) does indeed say that YOAMD has been extended to YOAMD, and also mentions an AP holder only contest to win a stay in Cinderella's Castle, which refers to the AP website - which as I said mentions nothing about it.

The official YOAMD page and rules mention nothing about the extension.

I think the updates are still coming out.

That would be cool... maybe on our next trip in Oct. 08 we'll get lucky and get a dream something ha! ha! In Jan 07 we were there for 2 weeks and did not get one special something...

if they did cary it forward think they would drop some of the high end prizes,DVC,round the world trips ect(as sated in accounts YOMD is costing them a lot of money).And cary on giving FPs,Hats and lanyards out plus they would keep giving the castle stay out.
Hey DDP looked like an exellent idea then it cost them in the long run.Seams like the same with YOMD.As long as they dont bring back the wand
Paulh

Hey DDP looked like an exellent idea then it cost them in the long run.Seams like the same with YOMD.

If the DDP is costing them in the long run, why do they continue to do it? Why did they offer free DDP again this year?

If you calculate the cost of the DDP against ONLY revenues of food services, then it almost certainly does cost them. But what about the increased revenues from the resorts, tickets, merchandise, etc. it probably balances out.

AND, if you think about it - it costs them to keep a restaurant or counter open whether it is half full or full (aside from staffing variances), so finding ways to fill up that space with guests can minimize losses.

If YOAMD is also helping to fill the parks, they have to judge the cost against revenue as a WHOLE. It's really unlikely they'd extend it if it was judged a loser. Of course, they could extended it with cheaper prizes. But they still have to pay for the Dream Team, etc.

If YOAMD is also helping to fill the parks, they have to judge the cost against revenue as a WHOLE. It's really unlikely they'd extend it if it was judged a loser.
It's generally beleived that the only thing 'Year of Million Trinkets' seems to be filling is the already overstretched ego of a single high-level execuctive. The vast majority of guests show up to WDW and Disneyland without even knowing about the marekting event, and even the majority of guests inside the park don't even know what's going on.

But when you've got a big office behind the drawves in Burbank and your resume has both Disney Studios Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland on it - you make sure your little underlings hype anything and everything else as the greatest success since Walt said "how about Florida".

The vast majority of guests show up to WDW and Disneyland without even knowing about the marekting event, and even the majority of guests inside the park don't even know what's going on.

Now thats not entirely true there are hundreds of DISers that really look forward to collecting the new paper plates, cups and napkins with the latest marketing logo scam on it. :rotfl2: :lmao:

Attendance at WDW was up 4%, and it was flat at DLR.

If that's a wildly successful promotion worthy of continuing for another year, I'd hate to see what a lackluster promotion would do.

I'm guessing that they don't have anything else they are ready to launch, and the YoaMD doesn't cost them much to run, so they figure why not just keep it going while we work out the next big marketing celebration.

If the DDP is costing them in the long run, why do they continue to do it? Why did they offer free DDP again this year?

The rumored new offering is, no starter and no tip included,if they werent losing money they would have left unchanged.It has been stated in accounts think last Q that YOAMD is costing them big but then again its a markiting tool
Paulh

The rumored new offering is, no starter and no tip included,if they werent losing money they would have left unchanged.It has been stated in accounts think last Q that YOAMD is costing them big but then again its a markiting tool
Paulh

They could just be increasing their margins on the DDP by separating starter and tip...or they could be slimming a loss. We don't have the info - but like I said, if by offering DDP they lost more money, they wouldn't do it.

Also, wasn't the fact the tip was included actually an issue, with the waitstaff CMs finding no incentive to provide quality service?

YOAMD can fall under a different umbrella, such as marketing/advertising, where the the cost is expected and budgeted, and the return is harder to measure.

disney were probarly only making cost on ddp,with the new one they would probarly making a small mark up.
DME there making a loss but as long as they can get more people to stay onsite and stay longer it will still be offered free
Like we both said YOAMD a markiting tool so cost bugeted,if they can bring down the cost ie less expensive offerings and more hats and lanyards less money to outlay
Paulh
taken from YOMD web site
Total ARV of all prizes in the Giveaway: US$17,412,477
This dosnt include any advertizing ect

It's generally beleived that the only thing 'Year of Million Trinkets' seems to be filling is the already overstretched ego of a single high-level execuctive. The vast majority of guests show up to WDW and Disneyland without even knowing about the marekting event, and even the majority of guests inside the park don't even know what's going on.

But when you've got a big office behind the drawves in Burbank and your resume has both Disney Studios Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland on it - you make sure your little underlings hype anything and everything else as the greatest success since Walt said "how about Florida".

I totally agree--except they recieved a ton of free national press with the first family to stay in the castle, and usually free local press for other castle winners---this is a advetizing/marketing dream. So while the vast number of people still have no clue, there is a lot of free advertizing for a minimal cost(I highly doubt it is truly the 17 million that is floating around-because that #is based on retail cost, which we all know is highly inflated)in assuring that people are having a great trip. From personal experience, I have had no "trinkets";) (liked that) and I have already spent 16 days at WDW this year. One more trip coming-and we will see. Honestly I forget about it when I am there.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

Another year, another million dreams

posted by ScottPowers on Aug 7, 2007 11:19:46 AM

As Walt Disney World moved from the millenial "2000 Celebration" to Walt Disney's birthday "100 Years of Magic" celebration to Disneyland's 50th anniverary "Happiest Celebration on Earth" to this year's "Year of a Million Dreams," it seems the celebrations almost never end.

With four major celebration/promotional campaigns spanning most of the past eight years, the obvious question is: what's next?

How about another year, of another million dreams.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has decided to extend its popular "Year of a Million Dreams" promotion through the end of 2008, spokesman Rick Sylvain announced. The program is highlighted by daily, numerous giveaways of prizes, which can be as simple as FASTPASS tickets or seats on parade floats, or as grand as around-the-world vacation packages or a night in Cinderella Castle. All are awarded to randomly selected visitors.

Since the "year" debuted in Oct. 2006, the campaign has been credited by everyone from local park officials to Walt Disney Co. President Bob Iger with helping drive a strong and steady surge in customers at Disney World's four theme parks over the past year or so.

"This has been a huge success with our guests and our cast members – to date more than 846,000 dreams have been awarded to our guests at Walt Disney World and at Disneyland," Sylvain said. "We expect to hit a magical one million dreams late next month."

"Because it has so resonated with guests, Year of a Million Dreams has helped drive a strong year for Disney Parks and Resorts," Sylvain said.

Word went out earlier this month to Walt Disney World passholders.

The campaign has shined new luster onto a customer-service image that Disney Parks and Resorts officials insist they always have fostered: that visitors may expect unexpected pleasures at any moment. I've seen people picked to march in parades. And I've seen two little girls invited to make cookies at the Main Street Confectionery The girls, about 6 and 8, were starstruck. But most times I've been to Disney in the past 10 months or so -- and I pretty much go weekly -- I saw no giveaway moments. Magic Kingdom alone draws 16 million people a year, so the vast majority of the millions of people who come to Disney during the celebration, of course, won't win, and might not see anyone else win.

Still the campaign also has garnered Disney widespread, localized publicity from hometown media whenever someone has been selected for one of the big prizes, such as when an Ohio family won the right to have the Magic Kingdom theme park all to themselves one morning.

There may be new wrinkles coming. Sylvain said he couldn't yet provide details of the next year of dreams, but said they had "plans for exciting new awards in 2008."

Maybe this is why they just increase prices....to pay for all those "dreams" that none of us get! I've been to the parks 3-4 trips this year and have only seen the prize patrol once. The person in front of me in line for the tea cups got a lanyard and two pins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter