You left the kids where?? Our "kid-free" 4/10 MR cruise on the Wonder - Updated 5/1

Okay ... orange soda dessert sounds amazing and now I'm jealous. How come WE didn't get offered one? :rotfl2: And I didn't even THINK about taking our souffles to go!!!! We both only managed a couple bites of each of ours and I was so sad to leave it behind. We definitely would have saved them for breakfast the next morning ... haha!

Nikola said he likes to have his guests who've been in Palo before try some of the new menu items so he can get feedback, so I think that's why he brought it out to us. For your first visit to Palo, the souffle is pretty much a "must-do" but I guess after that it's good to broaden your horizons a bit :)

I don't think I would have normally thought about taking the souffle with me either! I'm sure it would still be awesome the next morning, so I might try it for myself next time :thumbsup2

ooooh that makes sense, maybe that's why we were only offered the souffle, because we were Palo n00bs. I wish I would have taken all my leftovers to eat later. Nikola offered to wrap up our extra brunch stuff but didn't offer for dinner, maybe because they know it won't keep overnight. Okay, Now I'm hungry and still have an hour and a half before my lunch break, lol!!!!!!

I don't know, I think most everything would keep in the "cold box" in your room overnight, although I guess you wouldn't be able to heat anything up...

:laughing: I was just thinking, hmmm...I wonder if we have any chocolate or gelato in the house...

I am just loving your trip report!

The pictures, your sense of humor...

Great job! :thumbsup2

I'll have to tell our tablemates NEVER to expect to see us at breakfast. My daughter and I are late (really late) sleepers! (She's 25)

Yay for more! I really like your Palo picture, you both look great!

Your pictures at Lover's Beach are nice. I kinda wish we had gone there but the whole no services thing stopped me, luckily we got some great pictures the next day. I am glad the sun was out for you, looking at our pictures from the morning it was such a dreary day!

I am just loving your trip report!

The pictures, your sense of humor...

Great job! :thumbsup2

I'll have to tell our tablemates NEVER to expect to see us at breakfast. My daughter and I are late (really late) sleepers! (She's 25)

Thank you! It's my first TR so I was nervous about doing it, but it's been kind of fun. And, it helps to get nice comments like yours :goodvibes

Don't worry, breakfast is "on your own" so you won't need to explain your sleeping habits to anyone :) Dinner is the only time you'll have tablemates that might expect you to be there. We always try to tell our servers if we're not going to attend dinner one night (like if we're going to Palo) just as a courtesy, but I don't think it's required.

Yay for more! I really like your Palo picture, you both look great!

Your pictures at Lover's Beach are nice. I kinda wish we had gone there but the whole no services thing stopped me, luckily we got some great pictures the next day. I am glad the sun was out for you, looking at our pictures from the morning it was such a dreary day!

Thanks Leslie!

Yeah, I totally forgot about the "no services" thing when we decided to go over there, but we were only there for a little while, so it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't want to spend all day there but an hour or two is fine :thumbsup2

Trying to finish up my Day 6 post tonight, but we'll see how things go ;)

Ok, before I get started, I just found this thread which has a lot of pictures of some of the food I mentioned here but didn’t get pictures of, SO, if you’re interested in pics, go here -http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2696045.. There’s even a pic of the Orange Soda Float. It’s the last dessert listed in one of the Palo posts and is described as “I don’t know”.

Our morning started at “O'dark 30” since we had to be in Wavebands by 6:45 for our ATV excursion. This was the one day that I was disappointed in service on the ship. We had planned on ordering the room service breakfast to be delivered before we left, but noticed on the door hanger menu that breakfast wasn’t available for delivery until 7, which would not have worked for us that morning. I have no idea if we could have called first thing in the morning to get something delivered – we didn’t even think to try that. The only thing that was open at that time was Goofy’s Kitchen, which opened right as we were heading to our excursion meet p, so I jumped in line to get a couple muffins and some yogurt, while DH headed down. Now honestly, you would think on these early port days they would realize that people would want to eat breakfast before leaving and MAYBE open at least Beach Blanket Buffet early, but no such luck. Of course, maybe we should have realized that was going to be an issue the night before and planned ahead! I also heard another couple who was late getting to Wavebands saying they were late because the Kid’s Club didn’t open until 7 :sad2:

Anywho…we sat in Wavebands and ate our snacks while we waited for everyone to show up. There were a few late people who overslept, but we were off the ship by 7:00 or so. We were led over to the marina office where we met our bus driver and loaded the bus (after the other people in our excursion took a quick detour to the Oxxo to pick up some breakfast items :goodvibes. The ride was about 45 minutes and we enjoyed seeing some more of the Mexican landscape. It was early, so all I really wanted to do was sleep, but my DH kept taking pictures of me instead:

day6-bus.jpg

We arrived at our destination, a small building in the desert, and met our tour guide for the day, Ivan. We got our bandanas and helmets and were then given a quick rundown of the ATV controls. Unlike the ATVs that some of the others had ridden before, these were semi-automatic instead of automatic so we did have to shift gears, but there was no clutch. There was also a father/daughter duo that was driving the dune buggy 4x4 which looked pretty fun, and in hindsight was probably more my style :laughing:

We started out riding through the desert, on a hardpacked dirt trail that wound through cactuses, prickly bushes and low shrubs. There were some twists and turns so I had to focus more on the driving and less on the surrounding landscape, but it was pretty.

day6-scrub.jpg
day6-cactus.jpg

So, ok, I swear, I’m really NOT a bad driver, no matter WHAT DH tries to tell you. And although I haven’t driven an ATV before, I have driven snowmobiles and jetskis, so didn’t feel like it was something I couldn’t handle. But, well…I was driving through some hairpin turns and had kind of fallen behind the others just a little bit because I wasn’t feeling as comfortable as everyone else (they had all driven ATVs before) and I came up to a turn that had some pretty deep ruts in the path and apparently made the wrong decision on whether to stay in the ruts or go out of them because, well…all of a sudden, I was heading straight off the trail into a ditch. My brain was telling me to hit the brakes, but my hands were just not cooperating with me so I didn’t stop in time and ended up, umm…flipping the ATV. :rolleyes1 Luckily, the dad and daughter driving the 4x4 were behind me and saw the whole thing, so they stopped to make sure I was ok. I was totally fine, just some scratches and a bruised ego, but the ATV was not so ok. Ivan came racing back to find me as soon as he realized I was missing. He pulled up and said “What did you do?!?!” All I could say was “Lo siento, lo siento” (I’m sorry). I probably should have been saying something like “la culpa es mia, que soy un idiota” (it’s my fault, I’m an idiot) but at that point, my limited knowledge of the Spanish language was pretty much failing me :lmao: Ivan flipped the ATV back over and somehow got it out of the ditch. The handlebars were bent in toward the seat and the fender was dented in, but was apparently still driveable because Ivan took that one over and gave the good one to me. :thumbsup2 We were not in the best place to just stop on the trail, so he made sure I was ok to continue on and we drove on to catch up with the rest of the group. Shortly after, we stopped to take a break and Ivan cleaned my leg up and put a bandage on it to keep the dirt out.

day6-cleaningup.jpg

We were about to climb out of the desert so Ivan gave us some instructions “go slow, keep an eye on the trail” so after making sure I was ok again, we headed out.

All of a sudden, we went over a rise and there was the ocean spread out in front of us. It was really gorgeous. We got to drive right along the beach with no one else around and it was just awesome. We stopped again (apparently just to check to make sure I was ok :thumbsup2) and then headed up the hill.

day6-areyousure.jpg

Once we were at the top, we stopped again to take some pictures and take in the awesome scenery. Truly gorgeous.

day6-beach.jpg
day6-jandhbeach.jpg

day6-path.jpg

After our stop, we wound our way back into the interior desert and back to our starting point. I think it was probably around 2 hours or so roundtrip.

When we got back, several of the guys working there saw my bandaged leg, so came up to make sure I was ok. They were all very nice about it, but I’m sure they weren’t exactly thrilled about the ATV damage. The main guy said he was much more concerned that I wasn’t broken and that ATV parts were easy to come by. :flower3: I did have to fill out an incident report, but that was it. We were led to a patio on the 2nd story of the main building and offered water (free) or cervezas ($3US) while we waited for our transportation back. I of course had a cerveza to calm my nerves (it’s gotta be 5 o’clock SOMEWHERE, right?). Being on the 2nd floor gave us a really great view of the surrounding land and I was quite surprised to see the ocean so close to us. When you’re down in the desert, it really does feel like you’re miles and miles from anything else.

day6-theranch.jpg

The ride back in to town was uneventful :thumbsup2 So, other than my “accidente” I really enjoyed the excursion and would certainly recommend it to anyone who's not a rookie like me. I personally will not be getting near an ATV any time soon! :rotfl: One thing I will say – they go through the controls and how everything works, but after that you head out, so there’s no time to “practice”. If you’ve never driven an ATV or feel like you might be a little unsure about it, just be aware of this and take it easy, or, try the dune buggy 4x4, which seemed a little easier to handle while still getting the exact same experience.

Next up: Cabo part 2 – adios Mexico!

YIKES Holly!! I don't think we heard this story (not surprised that you would not want to repeat it!) I am sorry that you had a harrowing experience but it sounds like you had a really good time in spite of that. You know I never would have thought to do the ATV but after reading your report I might actually try it sometime.

Wow Holly, that sounds scary!!!! I'm glad I didn't to the ATVs! It sounds like I was right to be nervous about them. :laughing: I'm glad you came through okay and had a great time in Cabo!

YIKES Holly!! I don't think we heard this story (not surprised that you would not want to repeat it!) I am sorry that you had a harrowing experience but it sounds like you had a really good time in spite of that. You know I never would have thought to do the ATV but after reading your report I might actually try it sometime.

I may have been trying to erase it from my memory at that point, Leslie :) It WAS fun though, so I would recommend it - just be more careful than I was!

Wow Holly, that sounds scary!!!! I'm glad I didn't to the ATVs! It sounds like I was right to be nervous about them. :laughing: I'm glad you came through okay and had a great time in Cabo!

I think the horseback ride went on pretty much the same trail, so you probably got about the same experience as we did, just without the danger :)

It certainly could have turned out much worse than it did! Since I've been home, I've had a couple nightmares about being airlifted out of the desert :lmao:

After we were dropped off back at the marina, we walked around a little bit and DH bought a bottle of Mexican tequila from the guy next to the tender dock. When we got back on the ship we had a quick bite to eat at Beach Blanket and then I headed up to Deck 10 to get a bit of sun. While I did that DH wandered around and took some pictures of Cabo and the ship. He saw the ice carving demonstration and ran into a few characters

(this ended up being Spider-man)
day6-icecarving.jpg

day6-Donald.jpg
day6-chipmunks.jpg

The last tender was supposed to be at 12:45, but I think a lot of excursions must have been returning late, because we didn’t leave until 2:30 or so. DH got a good shot of El Arco as we sailed out of the bay and finally, we were headed back toward LA. Adios Mexico!

day6-elarco.jpg
day6-goodbyecabo.jpg

I was exhausted from the traumatic events of the morning so we both headed back to our room for a nice long nap :cool1: We slept long enough that we weren’t going to make it to the evening’s show (it was Heath Hyche, who we had seen the other night, so not a big deal), so we got ready for dinner and just walked around a bit.

Tonight’s dinner was in Parrot Cay and was the Captain’s Gala, which meant semi-formal dress and lobster. AND…once again, I forgot my camera :rotfl: So, for the appetizer, DH had the Oysters Rockefeller (ok, he likes straight up oysters better) and I had the Garlic and Herb-Sauteed Shrimp (these were excellent). We both got the Garden Fresh Salad (fine) and for our entrees DH had the Vension medallions (good but we get better here in Colorado) and I had the Panko-Crusted Pork Envelope (really good). We decided against having the lobster for some reason, I can’t remember why. I really enjoyed this menu, except for the Roasted Red Pepper dip that came with the bread – it was basically red pepper mayonnaise and not really a very good taste. For dessert DH had the Banana Crème Brulee (eh..I don’t know why he ordered this since it had not been good any other time!) and I had the Amaretto Cheesecake (I didn’t taste any Amaretto, tasted more like regular cheesecake) AND the Chocolate Lava cake (awesome!!)

After dinner we headed to Wavebands to watch the show – it was John Ekin, a magician/comedian. He was my least favorite of the shows all week. After his show, they did Match Your Mate, which is kind of like the Newlywed Game but they pick couples that have been married for different amounts of time. So, there was a couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary on the cruise, a couple who had been married for 15 years and a couple who had been married 4. This was hilarious! The older gentleman kept taking the microphone AWAY from Tisa to answer the questions and the look on Tisa’s face was priceless. We learned more than we ever wanted to know about the couples participating and DH and I also realized that neither one of us has any memory of our “first date”. We worked together and spent a lot of time together, so don’t really remember ever having a first date :confused3 After Match Your Mates, we just hit the sack.

Coming up: Day 7 – It’s All Downhill From Here ;)

When I woke up, I could barely move my arms and the bruises on my legs had really come out, so DH decided I needed a massage. Not one to turn down a massage, I agreed and he was able to get me an appointment for 10:30. :thumbsup2 We had quite a bit of time before that though, so we decided to eat a sitdown breakfast as Triton’s. We tried to get into our normal serving team’s section but there were no available tables, so we sat NEXT to their section. The assistant server immediately took our drink orders but then he disappeared for a long time. He finally came back with our coffee and juice and brought the pastry tray around. Our server came by to take our order. I ordered the “Little Mermaid’s Morning” which is two Belgian waffles stuffed with dulce de leche and rolled in cinnamon and sugar. DH ordered “Scuttle on the Run” which was eggs, ham, bacon, sausage and hashbrowns. And then we waited…and waited…and waited some more. I think we got to Triton’s around 8:45 and were not served until 10 after 10. :scared1: So, I had to chow down quickly, so I could make it to my massage. It was very good, but I would have liked to sit and enjoy it a little more. I ended up heading out before DH was done so I could get up to the Vista Spa.

Karen (from Ireland) took me back to the changing area and once I was changed into my robe, she came back and got me – she ended up being my masseuse as well. DH had gotten me a hot stone massage and it was fabulous. Very relaxing. Karen did talk to me at the end about the Elemis products. I got some of the Muscle Soak. We had used this during our Exotic Rasul and it had actually really helped my tight shoulders and neck, so I decided to go for it. I’ve used it several times since I’ve been home, and it is really nice.

After my massage, I went back to our stateroom and called DH. He was down in the shops, so I headed down to meet him and we looked around for awhile. After we made our final purchases, we headed up to Beach Blanket for lunch. It was a seafood buffet, but I was feeling a little off, so steered away from all of that (the boat was going fast, but I wasn't really feeling that I don't think). It was sunny but pretty chilly out, so all the tables inside were packed. We headed out to the side glassed-in area which wasn’t too bad since it was out of the wind.

After lunch we headed to the Buena Vista Theatre to catch Dex Tanksley’s Behind the Scenes session. You may remember that his first session was not very good, but he promised that this one would be better, so we thought we’d try it. Dex is MUCH better when he’s talking about something that he has been directly involved in and doesn’t have to read from a script. He talked about his experience being part of the first year of the Walt Disney ImagiNation design competition when he was in college and how he and his teammates came up with their concept for Dogemite (a superhero cartoon dog, in the same vein as the Blaxploitation character Shaft), that eventually won the competition. It was very cool to see how they came up with the concept and, after he won the competition and got an internship, how far Disney took it in development. You could tell Dex was very passionate about his work and really loves what he does, so it was a good session. :cool1:

After Dex’s session, we headed back to our room to hang for awhile before our Mojito/Caipirinha tasting. I think we watched the same part of Harry Potter we had seen about 256 other times during the week :lmao:
The Mojito tasting was once again in Cadillac Lounge with our friend Romy. We got there right at 5 and nothing was set up, so it seemed a little disorganized, but the CL bartending team quickly got it together. I’ve never seen anyone make 40 drinks so quickly! We each got 5 regular sized drinks – a classic mojito, a raspberry mojito, a green apple mojito, a melon mojito and a caipirinha. I really enjoyed the classic mojito and the raspberry mojito, which was quite refreshing. The green apple and melon were a little too sweet for me. Caipirinha is the national cocktail of Brazil and is made with cachaca (an alcohol made from sugarcane). The Caipirinha was VERY strong and I wasn’t a big fan. After we tried each of those, Romy made us another one of whatever flavor was our favorite. Let’s just say we left the Lounge feeling pretty good :hippie:

Tonight’s show was Disney Dreams, which I think is probably my favorite DCL show. Last year when we were on the cruise with the kids, DD2 had a meltdown so I wasn’t able to see this show in the theater, but instead watched it on the tv in my room. It was cool to see it live this time :cheer2:

Dinner was in Triton’s and it was the “Till we Meet Again” menu. DH and I both had the Artichoke, Spinach and Jalapeno Cheese Dip (just ok)

Day7-appetizer.jpg

We also both had the potato leek soup (pretty good)

day7-soup.jpg

For entrees, DH had the Garlic and Rosemary-Marinated Lamb Sirloin (good) and I had the Beef Tenderloin (very good, and the William Potato was AWEsome)

day7-entree2.jpg
day7-entree.jpg

At that point, it was time for the Parade of Nations, so Vicky quickly took our dessert orders and then hurried to the back, so she could make sure she got the Hungary flag ;)

day7-parade.jpg

The chefs always bring out a flaming Baked Alaska, which is one of the desserts on the menu. I always wonder if anyone ever ORDERS the baked Alaska, because no one sitting around us did that I saw :confused3 DH ordered the Celebration Cake, which he enjoyed and I ordered Sweet Tempations again (it was chocolate so of course better than DH’s dessert :lmao:)

day7-dess1.jpg
day7-dess2.jpg

We knew we’d see Vicky and Ajit in the morning, but decided to grab a picture with them before heading off to Wavebands.

day7-servers.jpg

Tonight’s adult “show” was the “World Famous” Pub Night with the lovely and talented cruise staff. Not going to give anything away, but this was definitely a “MUST-SEE”. The cruise staff was hilarious and we got to see Christiaan in a whole new light ;)

After the show, DJ Anthony played some tunes and Tisa FORCED us to get up and dance :dance3: We had a great time but when the cruise staff took their final bow at midnight, we decided it was time for us to hit the sack as well.

Next up: This is the end…the end my friends, the end.

No pictures from today...we were just too sad about leaving ;)

Because we were on the late dining rotation, we didn't have to be to breakfast until 8:45 but we had a 8am appointment with one of the DVC folks to finish signing our add-on paperwork, so we were up and ready to go pretty early. Since we had to be out of our rooms by 8:30, we did one last sweep of the room and just took our carry-on bags with us.

Our meeting with Kimberly was very fast, and we had about 30 minutes to wait before we could get into breakfast. Wow, it is like almost organized chaos on the last morning. Bags and people EVERYWHERE. We headed up to deck 9 for a little while, but the crew was starting to hose the deck down and get ready for the next group of people, so we decided to leave them to it. We found a spot on the floor in the Promenade Lounge and sat there for about 15 minutes until they opened the doors to Tritons.

The breakfast menu was “See Ya Real Soon”. Everything on it is basically pre-made, so if you want something slightly different than what’s on the menu, you’ll have to wait a long time. The servers recommended NOT deviating from the menu :thumbsup2) DH ordered the “Almost Home” which was corn beef hash, fried eggs and bacon cooked in a skillet (it was “mmm…not BAD...” :lmao:). I ordered the Route 66, which was scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, ham and hash browns (it was fine).

We sat and chatted with Vicky and Ajit and our tablemates for awhile, but inevitably, the time for us to leave finally came around. We gave hugs all around and promised we would look Vicky and Ajit up when we cruise to Alaska next year.

When we left the restaurant, we noticed that our bag tag group (purple Minnie) had been called while we were eating, so we headed right out - figured we might as well get it over with, kinda like pulling a band-aid off really fast. :goodvibes There was a little bit of a line to get through customs, and as we waited we watched the crew loading all the food for the next week on the ship. Just as we were getting ready to have our KTTW cards swiped one last time, we heard our names being called and turned around to see…AnimalPrincess and her DH, of course! It was a hilarious (but appropriate) way to end our cruise since we had been stalking them all week!

We sailed through customs with barely a glance, grabbed our bags and headed to the Disney bus waiting to transfer us to the airport. It was probably about 10am by that point. We waited for another 30 minutes or so before the bus left, and were quickly at LAX. Unfortunately, our flight wasn’t until 3pm and we had missed the earlier flight by 10 minutes, so we had a LOONNGG wait at terminal 6 (the crappiest terminal of all). Our flight was on time and we made it home without incident.

It was good to get home to see the kids, but man, was it hard to leave. I’ve told DH numerous times since we’ve been back that I have a “cruise hangover”. It’s been really hard getting back to “normal”:lmao:

Coming up: Final thoughts…

I love baked alaska, and yes I did order it last March. Almost everyone at our table did.

I love baked alaska, and yes I did order it last March. Almost everyone at our table did.

Whew, ok. I had this vision of all these baked alaskas sitting in the back slowly turning into goop because no one wanted them :lmao:

I had a bad experience with meringue when i was little, so I'm always afraid to order it, even though the rest of it sounds yummy :thumbsup2

Too funny, we ordered the same three desserts on semi-formal night and DEVOURED the lava cake and barely touched the others. We also ordered the Baked Alaska but ours came out before the flaming ones were presented, so we joked that ours must not have gotten the fire treatment because we didn't see what the big deal was - it was just okay.

Love the photos of the characters in costume, we didn't get to see them and Keith is bummed!

That last day was kinda of a weird one huh, not much to do and not great weather. Lucky you that you got a massage!

We had breakfast at Tritons twice and lunch once and the service was horrible each time! We actually saw you that morning, I don't remember if we waved or let you be lol!

I can send you pictures from that last night, let me know what format you would prefer!

Oh no!!! It can't be the end!! :sad2: I really enjoyed your report. Glad your wipeout wasn't too disasterous and that you're ok.

Loved your assessment of the food. I know a lot of the meals I had were just ok...ot horrible but not amazing either....except Palo's Brunch...OMG...loved that.

One of my favorite memories from the Dream is having had a massage in front of two big windows overlooking the ocean...I cried afterwards thinking about how fortunate I was.....so magical.
Thanks again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter