You win some you booze some, a HOT August 2017 dining report! complete 1/25*

img_7858-jpg.292585
What a cute bag! I want it.

The french fries here are always fantastic and the garlic herb butter is mm-mm good. Normally the steak is the best non-signature steak we get on property but unfortunately it just wasn't what it usually is on this visit. Kind of flavorless; a bit chewy. Not really enjoyable so both of us left a good bit of it. So far between the mussels and meat we weren't having the best meal......
I love their french fries. I'm sorry the steak and muscles weren't any good. It sucks when you're expecting the greatness you've had before and the restaurant lets you down.

I love this. When I got it, it was completely by accident. I was going to try one of the other desserts since I'd ordered the grey stuff before and wasn't a fan of the hard brownie thing. When they brought the cart out with this on it I had to have it. So good.

I wanted to put it up to my face and suck the crumbs out, but I resisted. This thing is so freakin' good and creamy and at the risk of making some of you cringe I'm going to use the word moist :D I prefer this even to the Master's Cupcake and if you're ever not sure what dessert to go with at dinner or lunch - go with this.
This was what I was considering getting before ordering the Grey Stuff. Now I need to try it. Do they have these for lunch? I'm going there this weekend for lunch only.

And loved it, but was a little sad he didn't get what I got because what I got is pretty much the best cupcake in the World:

img_7177-jpg.292859

I hate that BOG was a disappointment overall. But, I'm in complete agreement over this cupcake. It was delicious!

Love the Dooney, but I think I told you that already in another post...I just ordered a Haunted Mansion wristlit that's being discontinued at the Disney Store.:P
So unfortunate that BOG has gone down hill...I would have been a b----and sent the mussels back.>:( That was our same experience with the steak, left more than we ate...
However, that strawberry cupcake is divine and definitely one of my absolute faves...:rainbow:

and attempted to sit in my favorite room, the West Wing. Unfortunately it was full so we settled for my second favorite room, the music box room. I know many love the ballroom and I agree the snow falling is beautiful and at Christmas the decorations are magical, but I feel like it's very cafeteria-like which I know you've all heard before.

I agree! I'm not much of a ballroom fan! The snow is neat. But that's my only real interest in it. I think the West Wing is neat, but I find I like to see my food and I find it too dark in there. Dark = good for theming, bad for my dining needs. I do really like the Library/music box room though.

I think the prices are ridiculous and I do not think the portions are big. I don't think they're too small either, but the question pops up occasionally on the Boards as to whether the entrees are a shareable size, and I think not. Of course we all love our food and aren't a food sharing family so that could be part of it.

Agreed! With pastries I could see how you could share here if you're not a big breakfast eat. I, however, love breakfast. I think the cost is insane. But I don't think you're super ripped off with really tiny portions or anything either.

I couldn't even fit the whole wiener in the picture :rotfl2:

OMG. *ba dum tss*

Thing is, I don't have any allergies and I didn't tell them I did. We quickly called our server over thinking someone with an allergy got my salad and might eat it without thinking but she said that didn't happen??? I kept the one they gave me because it looked good and it was, very fresh AND refreshing.

So weird!! I've heard of people getting regular orders when they were supposed to be allergy, but not the other way around!

This was a graham cracker type crust with an oreo cookie tasting mousse inside and was MUCH improved over the often very hard brownie grey stuff bar. I still think the Master's Cupcake is better but this was really, really good (he let me try a bite).

This looks like a vast improvement!

Your BOG meals seem so disappointing! :( Not terrible or anything, but just not what I'd expect.

Your tote is adorable!! Sorry BOG wasn't all you were expecting but the Grey stuff was indeed delicious, so there is that :) AND I need that little mason jar shortcake, too cute!!

After dinner we did some more rides in the park including Mickey's Philharmagic which I completely forgot about when writing about this night in my TR, despite having a fairly dark and blurry picture of Ricky and I in our cool 3D shades:
That is a sweet picture of the two of you.

We've eaten lunch at BOG many times, but never dinner. I love the pork dish but we only eat there when we are traveling with family. Dana is not a fan of the place.

I think you two just saved me from dinner at BOG. I want to go, but Mike not so much. We love breakfast, but lynch was terrible. Glad i rewad yoir review.

Keep em coming.

I think the prices are ridiculous and I do not think the portions are big.
I had an ADR for BOG breakfast for August but ended up cancelling because - while I'm willing to drop the money for a great meal of something I love - nothing honestly sounds overly thrilling to me on their breakfast menu :confused3

I couldn't even fit the whole wiener in the picture :rotfl2:
:rotfl2:

This is SO stinkin cute!

FYI family is missing because they all suck and wouldn't take a picture with me.
See? You're already getting ready for a solo trip ;)

I may finish this thing within 6 months time after all!!!!
Please don't. That would definitely earn me the title of Worst TR reporter for 2017... and I'm making a great start for 2018 too :laughing:

Your dinner was so disappointing! I hope it was just an off night because my family is finally going to BOG for dinner on our next trip.
From what I've read, they have more "off" nights than they should, but they still have many many good nights. We've had so many good dinners there so if this will be your first time there for dinner, don't cancel! Pixie dust for a good meal pixiedust:

Sorry about the BOG dinner. We haven't made it there yet. I was thinking about dinner on our trip last November but picked Homecomin' instead as I thought it would appeal more to DH. Plus our last few dinners in a park TS have been ok at best.
I agree that with the exception of Epcot (and now Tiffins, of course), you can generally find better TS in Disney Springs and the resorts. It's a shame too because often it's more convenient to eat in the parks, especially if you go during busy times.

So apparently I share a sense of humor with a 16 year old boy. Why am I not surprised :P
I'm not surprised either lol, but add it to the reasons I love you :hug:

For a kids steak, this does look like a pretty large serving size. Kinda looks like two tiny filets
It was definitely a good size for a kids meal compared to most other places

Can you please do this and can you please take a photo of it
Now I'm absolutely doing it the next time I get a cupcake in the World :banana:

Sorry to hear about BOG dinner. I have been trying to get a dinner reservation but kind of sounds like it might not be worth it. They only thing I have to say, is that breakfast is kind of crazy and you loose some of that atmosphere. And you don't get the beast. Oh well.
If you haven't done dinner there yet then I think it's worth a try! Like I said above, we've had so many good dinners there which is why this was such a disappointment. And as you say it's the only time you can meet the Beast and then you can check that off your list :goodvibes Yes breakfast and even lunch are chaotic; dinner is definitely more calm and "magical".

So weird, though this salad does look good. I hope she at least took it off the bill??
Nope. I didn't mind so much since it was good but she didn't offer to exchange it or take it off.

We've eaten there a few times and aren't crazy about the food. It is cool to be in there and there aren't that many other choices for TS at the MK…
I agree. We do like LTT for lunch now and I like Skippers but Steve isn't a fan and I don't think the kids would like it. The Plaza is nice and casual once in awhile but that's it.

Sorry the food was disappointing this time. The desserts look yummy!
They desserts have NEVER disappointed at BOG :goodvibes

It is to bad this place is such hit or miss at dinner because it really is an awesome experience and they should be more consistent!
Exactly! I believe the experience will keep it hard to get for awhile still, just wish they'd go back to how great it was when it first opened.

Love your new baby! I haven't seen that print yet and it is so pretty! My latest is the Snow White kendra bag which is very sweet as well.
:thanks: I must say I love it to and one of the reasons is because I hadn't seen it in any other store and haven't seen it since!
Your bag sounds awesome, I have to go google it now lol.

How weird is that??? Did she not even offer to bring you the correct salad? The salad you got does look nice and fresh though.
Nope! Mine was delicious though so I didn't care but she didn't offer anything.

This is the EXACT reaction I would get from my crew.... the joys of being mamas of all boys!
:rolleyes: I shouldn't have been surprised lol, but I always hold out hope!

I am off to a Canadian Disney Addicts meet and greet this afternoon to get a little Disney fix before next summer. Should be fun
That sounds like SO much fun, it's not the first one you went to, right?

Sorry your BOG meal was a bust! I've heard the quality has really gone done in the last few years
I believe it has, sadly. We first ate there within a week or so of them opening back in 2012 and it was AMAZING. Then we ate there again in May of 2013-still AMAZING. Feb. 2014 we ate lunch there and dinner twice, all AMAZING. Dinner in 2015 was super delicious and since then it's all been really good with maybe one slight miss each time but nothing to mar our opinion until now.

Our meal there 2 years ago wasn't super impressive except for that strawberry cupcake which is worth the trip itself.
That is the best cupcake on property I think! Might have to try a few more just to be sure ;)

We had dinner in November at BOG with both my girls, son in law and 2 grandkids. I think because I was with them I enjoyed my meal more.
I think if I went/go with someone who is experiencing it for the first time I'd completely enjoy it, especially if it were a small child. Seeing it through new eyes would make a difference :goodvibes

My 5 year old granddaughter was so excited to be there, carrying Lumiere to our table and meeting the Beast.
I love the whole carrying Lumiere thing! First time we went Chris carried him and then Ricky the second time; our 3rd and 4th times were on the same trip so they each had another turn lol. Then in 2015 it was just Steve and I and I got to carry him :snooty: But then when we all went again in 2016 the hostess didn't offer him to us and since then I've noticed not everyone gets him so either 1. they only give him to families with small kids or 2. only to families they know are there for the first time. Stinks :(

I like those rolls, but I also love my carbs :rotfl:
Oh well, no roll is a bad roll in my eyes lol, I'll eat any bread you put in front of me!

Yes the best cupcake!
::yes:: :love:

I think you two just saved me from dinner at BOG. I want to go, but Mike not so much. We love breakfast, but lynch was terrible. Glad i rewad yoir review.

Keep em coming.
We weren't thrilled with our lunch back in 2014 and haven't done it again since, although I was willing to give it another try. I still say if you haven't done dinner there you should try it just for the experience and to meet the Beast, but as everyone is saying unfortunately it's hit or miss these days. Maybe if reviews improve.......................

I had an ADR for BOG breakfast for August but ended up cancelling because - while I'm willing to drop the money for a great meal of something I love - nothing honestly sounds overly thrilling to me on their breakfast menu :confused3
Yeah we won't be returning for breakfast. I rather have that huge a** roll at Gaston's :D

This is SO stinkin cute!
:thanks: I'm lovin' it!

See? You're already getting ready for a solo trip ;)
:laughing: True, at least nobody will whine and complain about what I want to do!

I love their french fries.
It's hard to argue that BOG french fries aren't delicious, and they were just as good this time around. No complaints there!

I love this. When I got it, it was completely by accident. I was going to try one of the other desserts since I'd ordered the grey stuff before and wasn't a fan of the hard brownie thing. When they brought the cart out with this on it I had to have it. So good.
Huge improvement over the dry, hard, brownie grey stuff bar!

This was what I was considering getting before ordering the Grey Stuff. Now I need to try it. Do they have these for lunch? I'm going there this weekend for lunch only.
OMG I am so late answering this and your quick weekend trip is over. Did you end up trying it?

I hate that BOG was a disappointment overall. But, I'm in complete agreement over this cupcake. It was delicious!
It certainly is! I made the mistake once of skipping dessert there because I was full and I regretted it the minute we left; I'll never leave without having my strawberry cupcake again!

However, that strawberry cupcake is divine and definitely one of my absolute faves...
It is heaven :cloud9:

Sorry your dinner wasn't the best. But you got a pic with the beast, bonus.
Meeting the Beast is always a treat :)

I do really like the Library/music box room though.
It's bright but not obnoxiously so, very pretty, and usually quiet but not empty. Perfect!

So weird!! I've heard of people getting regular orders when they were supposed to be allergy, but not the other way around!
LOL I know, very strange to give someone an allergy dish when it hasn't been requested!

Your tote is adorable!!
Thank you, I truly love it!

Sorry BOG wasn't all you were expecting but the Grey stuff was indeed delicious, so there is that
Ha ha very true, if you can end a meal with delicious desserts all was not lost.

AND I need that little mason jar shortcake, too cute!!
They had so many offerings in mason jars during our stay and they were all adorable!

That is a sweet picture of the two of you.
Thank you :hug:

OMG I am so late answering this and your quick weekend trip is over. Did you end up trying it?
No didn't end up getting any desserts at lunch. I'm trying to find a dinner reservation for one of my upcoming trips. If I can get it I'll try it then.

That sounds like SO much fun, it's not the first one you went to, right?
Yes, they are so much fun! They happen every three months and there is lots of great Disney chat, pin trading and other collectables as well. I have been mentioning to @KathyM2 that she might like to check it out sometime as she is not too far from me. I am always up for talking about all things Disney! :)

sorry your dinner was disappointing, we felt the same way back in September. Hopefully BOG is working out some kinks.

unfortunately it just wasn't what it usually is on this visit. Kind of flavorless; a bit chewy.
I have been hearing this lately, which kind of ticks me off since we haven't been yet and are trying it in June. Oh well. Maybe it will improve by then.

the last time we had dinner it was that hard brownie bar type thing:

img_7175-jpg.292857

This was a graham cracker type crust with an oreo cookie tasting mousse inside and was MUCH improved over the often very hard brownie grey stuff bar.
Yes, this does look a lot better. Maybe I can talk one of the boys into getting this (so I can try some) because I will be getting something else....

because what I got is pretty much the best cupcake in the World:

img_7177-jpg.292859
Yes, yes it is. And yes, I will be getting it in June.

I prefer this even to the Master's Cupcake and if you're ever not sure what dessert to go with at dinner or lunch - go with this.
I ALWAYS recommend this cupcake. The only one that I have gotten that was just as good was the pink lemonade at Starring Rolls (boo hoo) but who knows if they will ever bring that one back as it was seasonal and of course, no more Starring Rolls. Can I say it again....boo hoo.

I've read a few reviews lately where people who have dined here often and loved it are saying the same thing;
Yep...I'm worried.

Last edited:
Here I am, believe it or not I haven't abandoned this dining report. And I'll definitely answer all the latest comments but if I don't do this update now while I'm here and it's on my mind, I'll never get it done! I'm finally actually done with my August TR except for a wrap up and I'd like to get to that point here, too before I leave in TWO WEEKS for my combination Disney trip/Universal TA training trip!

I also thought I'd give you guys a brief update on Ricky's progress in physical therapy. While emotionally it's still been hard on him, seeing his friends playing for school and attending all the games, sitting around SO much more than usual, he is moving along great in his therapy program!!! He's moving through the stages on the quicker side since the program his surgeon has him on, called "Moon Protocol", is milestone based and not time based. So for each stage there is a range of weeks post-op that you should be meeting the criteria to be in/move out of that stage, for instance he entered phase 3 at week 9 post-op and the range to get to phase 3 is weeks 7-12. This makes him very optimistic and he looks forward to each p/t appt. His coaches, friends and teammates are still extremely supportive. He's the asst. coach for one of the two teams Chris plays on now and Ricky is to the point where he can get on the court and kind of jog out there with the team lol. As silly as it sounds it brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw him doing more than walking! This has meant that for the last few varsity games he's able to "run" onto the court with his team, too :goodvibes

SCI-FI LUNCH
Yup, I'm on our last day. Luckily we weren't flying out until 8:30 pm so our last day was a pretty full day, which is the BEST kind of Disney last day! If you're following my TR you know we attempted RD so we could bid farewell to the Great Movie Ride and while we didn't quite make RD, we did get to say good-bye:

IMG_7212.JPG

I'm not going over my sadness again because it'll ruin my weekend :sad2: Oh, and I have nothing in my notes about what we had for breakfast, but I'm thinking we, or at least some of us, probably grabbed something from the lounge since it was the last chance we'd get to do that for breakfast. *sidenote, we're at CCV in March but Steve has me checking constantly to see if anything CL anywhere is available with my discount as well as wanting CL for our August trip because apparently I've created a monster* We spent a little bit of time on line and then the ride itself isn't (*sniff* wasn't) a short one as you all know, so when we exited we grabbed a Mickey pretzel for the adults and a churro for the boys. We took a final ride on my fave TOT and RnRC, watched the SW show for the first time, and then soooooo quickly it was time for our last lunch of the trip here:

IMG_7251.JPG

I made a headlight joke in my TR and I'm making it again here:

:lmao:It was so cold in there I'm sure everyone's headlights were on :lmao:
:D
I hate to do an update with pics like this but the lighting in there isn't really good for pictures so mine are pretty bad.
But drink pictures are always good, no matter how bad!

I started with some sangria: Beso Del Sol Red Sangria made from a 100% natural marriage of Spanish Tempranillo Grapes, Orange, Blood Orange, and Lemon Juices with a touch of natural Cinnamon

IMG_7252.JPG

It's red, which is pretty much all you can tell from the picture. But it was really good. Lots of places around Disney have the same Sangria, Beso Del Sol, which isn't bad but I get tired of it. However since I didn't have it often on this trip it hit the spot today.

Ricky got the seasonal milkshake they had at the time which was a birthday cake shake:

IMG_7253.JPG

Again I know the picture stinks, I really wish it was better because this was a thing of beauty. See the colored sprinkles around the outside of the glass? We all tried it and yup, tasted like fluffy, sweet, white birthday cake!

Chris just got ice tea and Steve got a Mich Ultra which I don't have a picture of, but if you all go either to your fridge or your local grocery store you'll find one :P

It's not a meal at Sci Fi without a shake, and it's also not a Sci Fi meal without these beauties:
Well, they're beauties when someone takes a picture you can actually see:

IMG_7254.JPG

Crispy Onion Rings: with Sweet Chili and Horseradish Dipping Sauce.
Like Kari @kastoney always says these onion rings were perfection AND, those dipping sauces were to die for! This was only our 2nd time here and the first was about 3 years ago, and honestly I can't remember if we got the onion rings then. I think we did but I know we go the fried pickles; either way I didn't remember the dipping sauces which together were the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. Ricky doesn't do onion rings so the 3 of us enjoyed every last one.

Chris also ordered the
Boneless Chicken Wings: Your choice of Spicy Buffalo, Chipotle Barbecue, or Sweet Chili Sauce served with Celery Sticks and Blue Cheese Dressing

scifiwings.jpg

This isn't my picture but Chris got the spicy buffalo. He normally loves all things spicy so we figured he'd be fine with these, but them suckers was HOT!! He only ate a couple and Steve couldn't get one down. Ricky and I don't normally eat wings so we passed. Chris didn't think these were bad at all, just a tad hotter than he's used to.

For his meal Steve got the

Classic American Burger: Our Signature Blend of Beef served on a Broiche Bun with Caramelized Onions, American Cheese, Bacon, Lettuce, and Gourmet Tomato

IMG_7257.JPG

And this is where my Sci-Fi picks end because I couldn't take how bad they were coming out. Also the boys got the same burger so I didn't need pics of theirs. They all loved this burger, they were all cooked perfectly, buns were soft and fresh, and yes, the tomato was gourmet lol. The fries were also delicious but everyone (except Ricky) preferred the onion rings of course.

I got the
Caprese Sandwich: Toasted Tomato-Herb Focaccia Bread with Heirloom Tomato, fresh Buffalo Mozzarella, Arugula, and Basil Pesto

If I knew how to draw on here I'd draw you a picture because I can't find one on google images lol.
I enjoyed this very much, especially the pesto! The bread was a little tougher than most focaccia but had a great flavor to it and while the guys got the special gourmet tomato I much preferred the heirloom (I joke). The mozzarella was plentiful which is very important on a caprese sandwich. Oh, and I had them hold the arugula, sorry you weirdos who like it.

Going back to drinks for a sec, Chris had been asking all week for a light up ice cube......we asked a couple places and they were out. But here we were in luck! So he got this in his ice tea:

IMG_7258.JPG

And don't you know he carried it around the rest of the day AND on the plane? It's in my office now but hey, when your "baby" asks for a "toy" and those days are numbered, you give him a toy :goodvibes

We didn't do dessert even though the choices looked good, because I had something else in mind. We did enjoy our Sci-Fi lunch and while we won't be back in March, I think we'll be back. Chris hates 50's Prime Time and none of us have the desire to do H&V; after doing MM twice last year we need a break and after having a couple really good meals at HBD some years ago the menu doesn't thrill us now, so Sci-Fi is a good option for us. I absolutely love the old movies but especially the old commercials; sitting in the car I feel like "Sandy" from Grease but Sandy after she became cool :smooth:

UP SOON: W.S. BEFORE WE G.O.

Attachments

• IMG_7255.JPG
    IMG_7255.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7256.JPG
    IMG_7256.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 4
This makes him very optimistic and he looks forward to each p/t appt. His coaches, friends and teammates are still extremely supportive. He's the asst. coach for one of the two teams Chris plays on now and Ricky is to the point where he can get on the court and kind of jog out there with the team lol. As silly as it sounds it brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw him doing more than walking! This has meant that for the last few varsity games he's able to "run" onto the court with his team, too :goodvibes

I'm so glad to hear he's doing well!

*sidenote, we're at CCV in March but Steve has me checking constantly to see if anything CL anywhere is available with my discount as well as wanting CL for our August trip because apparently I've created a monster*

You have :rotfl:

Maybe I should never stay CL with Josh :scratchin I've already created enough of a monster :lmao: He's spoiled enough after staying deluxe, and having EP almost every time at Universal.

:rotfl:

:D
HA!

This pic is Awesome, I don't know what your talking about. It TOTALLY makes me want to order that burger...

Chris hates 50's Prime Time and none of us have the desire to do H&V;
I don't think we would like 50's Prime Time... Either. I love Sci-Fi. We aren't going this trip but I def want to go next time. I really wonder how long it will be around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter