"You'd Never Let the Darkness Get the Best of You. I'm Sure of That," a Christmas 2023 Disney Trip Report from an Old Friend. - UPDATE April 26, 2024

I'm here and so happy to be reading another one of your reports.

I'm so sorry for your health challenges. I do agree with being at Disney and not feeling well is better than being at home not felling well.
Hi Vanessa!! Thanks so much for joining in! Glad to "see" you! And thanks :-)

Dec. 20 – Part 1
Travel Day

I'm so excited to already see some familiar faces and some new friends here! Thanks so much for being here, and I can't wait to relive these memories with you all! :jumping1:

Okay, let’s see if I remember how to write a real update. I guess I just jump in? Travel days are kinda blah anyway, so I can just fumble through this bit and get to the good stuff in the next update!

N and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, so we flew out of Halifax on Dec. 20 direct to Orlando. As a poor flyer, I always try to limit my connections as much as possible, but direct flights aren’t always easy to book from where we live. When I booked it, I’d had to pick a flight that left early evening of the same day I got off work for Christmas Break, hoping that weather would be good and we’d make it to the airport in lots of time. I ended up on a reduced work schedule for the weeks leading up to the holiday anyway, and so this didn’t end up being a work day for me. We had plenty of time and decent weather. Phew! Our airport had this neato rainbow crosswalk to welcome us from the parking lot…

IMG_5579.jpg

We went through customs in the airport, and so for all intents and purposes, we were quickly considered “in the US.” The Halifax airport is pretty small, so as a person with dietary restrictions, I find it a bit limiting when I’m looking for foodstuffs. The US departures side was maybe even a bit worse for the dietarily restricted, and so I was sad to have had my bananas and apples confiscated on the way through customs. I picked at some remaining snacks in my bag and killed some time. We always get to the airport nice and early to avoid an anxiety-filled dash to the plane, but it usually leaves us with lots of sitting around to do. Could be worse.

IMG_5581.jpg

I’m generally an anxious flyer, and this has only increased since the Virus Who Must Not Be Named entered the scene. It was only the second round-trip flight I’d taken since pre-2020. (Our previous unreported WDW trip had been a road trip. The first flight had been to Toronto in the summer to see P!NK and Hamilton with S.) Eventually we ended up on the plane. Since it was coming on Christmas, I amused myself on the flight with Christmas movies on my iPad.

IMG_5584.jpg

We touched down in Orlando, but had to hang out on the plane for about 45 minutes while they sorted out where to dock the ship. But a peaceful happiness descended when we walked through the airport and saw the big Christmas tree. We were HERE.

IMG_5586.jpg

We were in Florida! This trip was happening! It had been up in the air for the months leading up to this day, but we were finally HERE!

IMG_5587.jpg

I waited for luggage while N grabbed some Starbucks.

IMG_5588.jpg

Then we got our rental car and got on the road toward the timeshare. We’d be staying at the Holiday Inn Orange Lake for just over a week. It was getting late, and the resort was decorated with some extra lighting and decor for the holiday season.

IMG_5589.jpg

Palm trees and their various tropical cousins get me every time. :lovestruc

We found our suite, a ground-level condo-style unit with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, a full kitchen, and a shared driveway with one other suite for easy parking.

Orange Lake is a big resort, so we were happy to be quite close to the entrance. On other trips we’ve added a good few minutes to our commute just due to how far we had to drive to exit the resort. This was still a quiet location, but more convenient for coming and going.

IMG_5590.jpg

IMG_5591 (1).jpg

While we were slogging through our least favourite vacation day (see above ^,) S, G, and B were already in full vacation mode without us! B’s school breaks don’t perfectly line up with mine, and while I’d only just gotten off work that afternoon, the rest of the crew had already been in the parks since the 17th. I checked their Photopass photos, but didn’t see any park photos from this day, so I’m thinking that it may have been a rest/resort/Disney Springs day for them. We would all be coming together soon for some family fun in the very happiest place we know….

…coming up soon in the next update!

I did! The DIS is just like riding a bike....not that I was ever all that great at that either.
Well, I'm enjoying your writing already, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably didn't fall over too many times, riding your bike. 🚴‍♀️
It's very convenient. All that's missing is the free transportation, but I do at least have my own free driver either way! (Nathan's job.)
::yes:: Having a chauffeur is always a nice perk.
Okay, let’s see if I remember how to write a real update.
Just like riding a bicy... <crash>
Travel days are kinda blah anyway
Funny, isn't it? Usually the dullest part of a trip report, and yet, possibly when our excitement is at its highest.
N and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada
Still bummed that I came that close to meeting up with you.
As a poor flyer, I always try to limit my connections as much as possible
Heh. As a good flyer, I always try to do the same! :laughing:
Our airport had this neato rainbow crosswalk to welcome us from the parking lot…
Pretty. Just because it's pretty? Or LGBTQ?
We went through customs in the airport, and so for all intents and purposes, we were quickly considered “in the US.”
I love clearing customs in Winnipeg... hate having to do it in Toronto.
I was sad to have had my bananas and apples confiscated on the way through customs.
:(
And yet... I would've been shocked if you had been able to bring them through.
We always get to the airport nice and early to avoid an anxiety-filled dash to the plane, but it usually leaves us with lots of sitting around to do.
I do that too. I actually kinda enjoy that part. Get through the checking in. Get through the security. Get through the customs... Okay now I'm on vacation!
I’m generally an anxious flyer, and this has only increased since the Virus Who Must Not Be Named entered the scene.
Bob?
We touched down in Orlando, but had to hang out on the plane for about 45 minutes while they sorted out where to dock the ship.
Were you early? I've found that being early sometimes that happens.
But a peaceful happiness descended when we walked through the airport and saw the big Christmas tree. We were HERE.
:goodvibes
We’d be staying at the Holiday Inn Orange Lake for just over a week.
I Google mapped it... Close, indeed!
Palm trees and their various tropical cousins get me every time. :lovestruc
Me too!

Hello from a fellow Nova Scotian! I don't often post on the Dis and just recently got back into it after years away too. I remember enjoying reading your trip reports in the past and fun fact - I have a piece of Disney-inspired artwork from your husband! My friends gave it to me for Christmas several years ago (bought at a show in Moncton, NB). They had sent me a video of the painting process and I recognized N from your reports, I should've commented on one of your reports back then but never did! My friends have a couple pieces from him too, wildlife themed if I remember correctly. Anyway, 'it's a small world' and I'm happy you're back on the Dis! Look forward to following along.

N and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, so we flew out of Halifax on Dec. 20 direct to Orlando. As a poor flyer, I always try to limit my connections as much as possible, but direct flights aren’t always easy to book from where we live. When I booked it, I’d had to pick a flight that left early evening of the same day I got off work for Christmas Break, hoping that weather would be good and we’d make it to the airport in lots of time. I ended up on a reduced work schedule for the weeks leading up to the holiday anyway, and so this didn’t end up being a work day for me. We had plenty of time and decent weather. Phew! Our airport had this neato rainbow crosswalk to welcome us from the parking lot…
Why didn't I realize that you can clear customs in Halifax? My brain must be stuck in Covid times when you could only clear in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. Plus direct flights to Orlando from Halifax. This is making me feel better if I choose to move back east in a few years..
I’m generally an anxious flyer, and this has only increased since the Virus Who Must Not Be Named entered the scene. It was only the second round-trip flight I’d taken since pre-2020. (Our previous unreported WDW trip had been a road trip. The first flight had been to Toronto in the summer to see P!NK and Hamilton with S.) Eventually we ended up on the plane. Since it was coming on Christmas, I amused myself on the flight with Christmas movies on my iPad.
I always have travel day anxiety as well. Once I am there it's fine but the getting there part is never fun. Also, great movie choice!
We touched down in Orlando, but had to hang out on the plane for about 45 minutes while they sorted out where to dock the ship. But a peaceful happiness descended when we walked through the airport and saw the big Christmas tree. We were HERE.
Love this feeling. :goodvibes
We would all be coming together soon for some family fun in the very happiest place we know….
Yay!!

Well, I'm enjoying your writing already, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably didn't fall over too many times, riding your bike. 🚴‍♀️
Aww, thanks! To be entirely honest, I didn't fall very much. I was a cautious kid. Training wheels stayed on until I was ready to fly.

Still bummed that I came that close to meeting up with you.
Sad about the missed opportunity--though of course, I understood--but now that just means you'll have another reason to come back this way someday!

Pretty. Just because it's pretty? Or LGBTQ?
Maybe both? I'm thinking more of an LGBTQ thing, but also pretty. I'm a member of the alphabet mafia, and N would consider himself an ally, so we liked it for both reasons. :thumbsup2

:(
And yet... I would've been shocked if you had been able to bring them through.
Was there part of me hoping that maybe she just wouldn't ask? Possibly. :blush: She told me it depends on where they're from, and so they need to have the original stickers on them, and then occasionally they can let them through. One item didn't have the sticker on it, and the other was from a forbidden place. Oh well.

Were you early? I've found that being early sometimes that happens.
You're expecting me to remember these details without notes!? Unreasonable!

I think we were right on time, but may have been maybe 10-15 minutes early? Not sure. And it certainly wasn't a crazy amount of time to sit on the tarmac. People were just getting antsy to get on vacation, I think, and we all had that past-bedtime glazed-over look by the time we got off the plane.

Aww, thanks! To be entirely honest, I didn't fall very much. I was a cautious kid. Training wheels stayed on until I was ready to fly.
You stayed safe. :)
I never used training wheels and had the massive scrape on my knee to prove it! :lmao:
Sad about the missed opportunity--though of course, I understood--but now that just means you'll have another reason to come back this way someday!
I sure hope so. I’ve seen very little of the maritimes and definitely want to see more.
I'm a member of the alphabet mafia
I’d never heard of that before so looked it up. There were many definitions and thoughts pro and con. No surprise.
Was there part of me hoping that maybe she just wouldn't ask? Possibly. :blush:
Annnnnnnd… there it is. :)
She told me it depends on where they're from, and so they need to have the original stickers on them, and then occasionally they can let them through.
Really! That surprises me.
You're expecting me to remember these details without notes!? Unreasonable!
:laughing:
People were just getting antsy to get on vacation, I think, and we all had that past-bedtime glazed-over look by the time we got off the plane.

Travel day seems to have gone pretty well and the best part is now you're here.
The very best part, yes!! It was a fairly smooth travel day, all things considered.

Hello from a fellow Nova Scotian! I don't often post on the Dis and just recently got back into it after years away too. I remember enjoying reading your trip reports in the past and fun fact - I have a piece of Disney-inspired artwork from your husband! My friends gave it to me for Christmas several years ago (bought at a show in Moncton, NB). They had sent me a video of the painting process and I recognized N from your reports, I should've commented on one of your reports back then but never did! My friends have a couple pieces from him too, wildlife themed if I remember correctly. Anyway, 'it's a small world' and I'm happy you're back on the Dis! Look forward to following along.
Hello! And :welcome: !! So nice to "see" a fellow Nova Scotia neighbour :)

Oh my goodness, how cool!! I bet they got it at Christmas at the Coliseum! (Or one of the others he does there, but that's the most popular show for him in Moncton for sure!) It doesn't happen often, but once in a while N would have someone come up to him at a show and tell him that they read his wife's trip reports! :laughing:

Following along. Looking forward to reading more
:welcome:So glad you're here!

Hello! Joining in! Welcome back to the boards! I used to read your TRs and dream about have a DFTW
Hello! :welcome: Thanks for joining in!! Years later, I now also dream of having a DFTW. :lovestruc Re-living the glory days, I guess. lol It barely feels like it was real, but also one of the coolest things we've ever been able to do.

Reactions: DLo
Why didn't I realize that you can clear customs in Halifax? My brain must be stuck in Covid times when you could only clear in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. Plus direct flights to Orlando from Halifax. This is making me feel better if I choose to move back east in a few years..
Yes! You should definitely move back east! The ocean is calling you! :lovestruc I'm biased.

Halifax is pretty convenient for flights, and yep, you can clear customs in Halifax for US departures. Direct flights are usually only a few days a week, especially in the off season, but you can sometimes get them! Typically Air Canada, WestJet, or Delta, I think.

I always have travel day anxiety as well. Once I am there it's fine but the getting there part is never fun. Also, great movie choice!
Getting there is always the hurdle, and then hopefully smooth sailing! I love Love Actually at Christmas time. :)

You stayed safe. :)
I never used training wheels and had the massive scrape on my knee to prove it! :lmao:
Why do I believe this about you? I have this vision in my head of a scrappy little young pkondz.

I sure hope so. I’ve seen very little of the maritimes and definitely want to see more.
There's much to see! And it's a welcoming place, so come on back any time!

I’d never heard of that before so looked it up. There were many definitions and thoughts pro and con. No surprise.
I just think it's quirky and fun, a little making-fun-of-ourselves kinda thing. But I think it's probably true that there are those who don't like it or find it offensive. And I guess I should probably clarify that I don't condone the actions of the actual mafia. :laughing: I know we've had discussions in past on here about political correctness, so you should view this as growth on my part to engage in using a term that some might find mildly offensive! :rotfl:

Dec. 21 — Part 1

It was our first Disney Parks Day, and we were ready to jump in, make a little magic for ourselves, take a chance on me having a good day, etc., etc.

tumblr_inline_nmwm24zx2a1qjzmei_540.jpg

I woke before the sun, before my alarm, a side-effect of travelling from a further-east timezone in the wintertime. I peered out the window, giddy, as I almost always do on the first early morning of our Florida vacations...

01.jpg

... :lovestruc Palm trees. Beautiful skies. It was going to be a wonderful day!

The weather forecast was looking lovely as compared to dreary Nova Scotia in December. (Temperatures in Celsius.)

02.PNG

And soon the sun started to wake up, too.

03.jpg

We got ready to go, and hopped in our rental car.

04.jpg

Before we knew it, we were entering the Most Magical Gates on Earth...

05.jpg

...and I was taking selfies with the Most Magical Selfie Backgrounds on Earth....

06.jpg

...and sending them to S so she would know that we were already at the park and having fun without her.

07.jpg

I don't have a particular park that I always start with on our trips. It's usually just based on what fits best in the schedule, or loosely based on online crowd calendars/events in the parks, etc. This time it was because S had already planned her park days before we decided to join them, and we jumped on their park plans for a couple of days. But it seems like more often than not, our first day ends up being at EPCOT, and I love when this happens. :lovestruc

08.jpg

I just looove EPCOT. (I have a hard time picking a favourite park, but waffle between EPCOT and Animal Kingdom.) It always feels like such a perfect place to start a trip.

We still had some time before we were scheduled to meet up with S, G, and B, so we were on our own for the first part of the morning. We were still fresh and felt like rope-dropping, while the S-crew had been in the parks for days already and were more inclined to start their mornings more slowly.

Continued in part 2...

Last edited:
Dec. 21 — Part 2

While we waited to be released with the rest of the holiday rope-drop crowd, we had a few photopass photos taken. (Taking advantage of the Memory Maker package S had already purchased since we were no longer annual passholders with year-long PP perks. Do they even still do this? I feel like APs can still purchase it, but that maybe it's not included anymore? I don't know. It's been so long since I've been in The Disney Know.)

09 (1).jpg

10 (1).jpg

Had I known that this magic shot would place our good buddy Figment SO close to my face, I might have changed my expression. :laughing:

11 (1).jpg

Then when all the rope droppers veered toward Frozen, Remy, Test Track, etc., we took a different route....to see this guy!

12 (1).jpg

We were the FIRST visitors to Figment's meet and greet that day! I wasn't sure whether I'd still be feeling all that magical on this trip due to the health issues that had been bumming me out, but when I saw Figment, and his lack of line, I excitedly blurted, "Oh my goodness! Are we your FIRST visitors today!? Really!? This is soo exciting!!" (or something of that nature. No notes, remember?)

13 (1).jpg

I was overcome with that special bubbly Disney magic feeling first thing in the morning as we had our private moment with Figment and his attendant. He perked up as well, feeding off our excitement. N laughed [at me? along with me?] And we got our photos taken together, including a selfie at the end to scratch my millennial selfie itch.

14.jpg

We still had a bit of time until we were planning to find the rest of the family, so we wandered a bit...

15.jpg

16.jpg

...and got to experience something that was still new to us. The Journey of Water experience was still being completed on our last post-pandemic trip, so we were finally seeing it for the first time.

17.jpg

I really enjoyed the interactive water features, and thought it was really pretty and a nice addition to EPCOT for all ages.

18.jpg

Coming up soon: the rest of the family arrives, and we meet some favourite furry friends....

Last edited:
Great start!

Being the first to visit Figment is a treat!

We love the Journey of Water. It's so pretty and interactive.

Why do I believe this about you? I have this vision in my head of a scrappy little young pkondz.
I was always a little kid until about 10th grade… but I was quick and willing to try anything. :)
There's much to see! And it's a welcoming place, so come on back any time!
I’d sure love to!
you should view this as growth on my part to engage in using a term that some might find mildly offensive! :rotfl:
It was our first Disney Parks Day
Just the best day!
01.jpg
Wow! Beautiful shot.
I was taking selfies with the Most Magical Selfie Backgrounds on Earth....

06.jpg
Like this photo of you. :)
I don't have a particular park that I always start with on our trips. It's usually just based on what fits best in the schedule, or loosely based on online crowd calendars/events in the parks, etc.
It depends on those factors and the length of the trip for me.
I have a hard time picking a favourite park, but waffle between EPCOT and Animal Kingdom.
Interesting. Usually people say it’s either one particular park… or it’s between MK and another park.
annual passholders with year-long PP perks. Do they even still do this?
No idea! Haven’t had an AP in a long time.
Nice shot of the two of you.
Had I known that this magic shot would place our good buddy Figment SO close to my face, I might have changed my expression. :laughing:
What would you have done?

And yes it is weird that Figment is so close.
when I saw Figment, and his lack of line, I excitedly blurted, "Oh my goodness! Are we your FIRST visitors today!?
I really enjoyed the interactive water features, and thought it was really pretty and a nice addition to EPCOT for all ages.
Can’t wait to see this someday.

I don't have a particular park that I always start with on our trips. It's usually just based on what fits best in the schedule, or loosely based on online crowd calendars/events in the parks, etc. This time it was because S had already planned her park days before we decided to join them, and we jumped on their park plans for a couple of days. But it seems like more often than not, our first day ends up being at EPCOT, and I love when this happens. :lovestruc
I love to start trips at Epcot too. It's such a great park.
I just looove EPCOT. (I have a hard time picking a favourite park, but waffle between EPCOT and Animal Kingdom.) It always feels like such a perfect place to start a trip.
My top two as well!
We were the FIRST visitors to Figment's meet and greet that day! I wasn't sure whether I'd still be feeling all that magical on this trip due to the health issues that had been bumming me out, but when I saw Figment, and his lack of line, I excitedly blurted, "Oh my goodness! Are we your FIRST visitors today!? Really!? This is soo exciting!!" (or something of that nature. No notes, remember?)
So fun!

Hi, Meghan! :wave2:
I've followed a few of your previous trip reports & it's so good to see you back on the boards! I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues. It's bad enough to not feel good, but when you don't have answers or a plan for making it better, that sounds very frustrating. :grouphug:

It's because of your trip reports & a few other people that I've read (**cough** stalked **cough**) a lot through the years that I decided to do my very first trip report for my solo trip this past Christmas, too! it was fun reliving the trip, but it definitely wasn't easy, so you get ALL the grace & respect for as many as you've done! Looking forward to reading along! 🥰

Great start!

Being the first to visit Figment is a treat!

We love the Journey of Water. It's so pretty and interactive.
I love a good enthusiastic meet and greet, especially with a character as fun as Figment :lovestruc

We were really impressed with Journey of Water! I didn't know what to expect, but I totally agree with you.

My top two as well!
So hard to pick a favourite, but those two parks are so special. And so different!

Hi, Meghan! :wave2:
I've followed a few of your previous trip reports & it's so good to see you back on the boards! I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues. It's bad enough to not feel good, but when you don't have answers or a plan for making it better, that sounds very frustrating. :grouphug:
Hi! :welcome: Welcome back!! I remember seeing you on my past reports and so glad to see you here again! And thanks. It's been a challenging time, for sure, but we're trying to figure it out.

It's because of your trip reports & a few other people that I've read (**cough** stalked **cough**) a lot through the years that I decided to do my very first trip report for my solo trip this past Christmas, too! it was fun reliving the trip, but it definitely wasn't easy, so you get ALL the grace & respect for as many as you've done! Looking forward to reading along! 🥰
That's awesome that you started trip reporting! I remember being really intimidated when I started my first one, but I felt like it quickly got easier and more fun the more I did it, and people are so sweet and supportive on the TR forum. :lovestruc I'll make a note to check our your TR sometime if I get the chance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter