"You'll find I'm full of surprises" - Marathon/Princess Half Marathon - 3/11 Raglan Road Brunch

I fully admit, when I checked Gaston into at the kennel, I lost it crying again. The last time I was there was the last time I saw Jafar. They started crying too. I love them as they are a very caring facility. It may be a little out of our way but they are worth it!
I'm sure that was hard. Hope you're doing ok.

As we waited for the food to arrive, I poured myself some wine in a classy non-wine glass.

v0O3Auu.jpg
That's a lot classier than the styrofoam coffee cup I've been known to indulge in :P

pmieSu1.jpg

Loaded Tater Tots - Brisket, Caramelized Onions, Cheese
Yum!!! Who knew they had such gluttonous wonders on the room service menu. Looks and sounds divine!

Hope you're having a blast and staying warm!

That cake looks fantastic!! Glad you were able to leave a little earlier than planned. So sorry to hear of your loss, our pets really do become such a special and beloved part of our families.:hug:

Glad you were able to get on the road early! Dinner looks good! Have fun passing out beer in the morning!

I'm glad we were able to get on the road early too! It was fun handing out beer to people!

Oh boy, those Boardwalk hallways can be LONG. I love the bar at Flying Fish but can totally see opting for room service instead. Funny, someone just recently recommended that wine to me. Those taters look yummy as does that cake!! Good luck to your husband with the race!

I actually ended up going to the front desk to make sure that comment was removed. Guess we'll see what we end up with in February for Princess Weekend!

That wine is actually pretty good! Its one of the winery direct brands at my husband's job so that gives his more inclination to procure it.

I'd eat the chocolate cake that fast too!! Love the updates. Now my belly is growling :)

My husband loves cake so yes, it will be always be gone quick! Thank you for reading along and all the marathon updates yesterday.

That's a lot classier than the Styrofoam coffee cup I've been known to indulge in :P

You gotta do what you gotta do, Styrofoam or not.

Yum!!! Who knew they had such gluttonous wonders on the room service menu. Looks and sounds divine!
One of the good things about the Boardwalk Private Dining is that during restaurant hours, you can order food from ESPN Club, Trattoria, or Flying Fish for a 20% up-charge from menu price and have it delivered. The tots were from the ESPN Club Menu. Not sure if the other deluxes do that as well (I think Grand Floridian probably does) Makes getting bar food easy!

Hope you're having a blast and staying warm!

We had fun! It was super cold for us though. I'm happy to home in slightly warmer temperatures now!

That cake looks fantastic!! Glad you were able to leave a little earlier than planned. So sorry to hear of your loss, our pets really do become such a special and beloved part of our families.:hug:

He was happy with that cake although it does get beat later in the trip (so Wednesday/Thursday update depending on how I'm feeling) They do become part of your family!

Those tots look amazing!

Those are amazing! Totally on my repeat list next time I got to ESPN club!

The wings look really good. Now I want some!

They were good wings! Getting the tots and the wings may have been too much food though but well worth it!

Tiffins

So I woke up at 5AM and got dressed in multiple layers, as it was bitterly cold this morning! I realize it was just the ‘30s’ when most of the country was dealing with much worse but I haven’t had to deal with 30s in a long time! Before 5:30AM (official 10K race state), I headed out to the Boardwalk and made my little beer stand.

ZITxhfx.jpg

My Set Up

I didn’t start pouring into the cups until 5:45AM as I knew the fastest runners would be coming soon but they wouldn’t be drinking anything! In fact, I didn’t have my first visit until a little after 6:00AM. Once it got started though - it moved along quickly. I ran out of beer at 7:08AM with a very sad pour to @Keels. I’m now in random selfies with strangers and it seems like one of the facebook groups was really happy! I did have to correct some rumors on one of them as apparently I got ‘shutdown’ by RunDisney. Nope! Just ran out of beer! (Their group actually got shutdown by RunDisney though during the half marathon)

I headed back to the room and discovered my husband was dead asleep. I not so kindly woke him up. We needed to get on the road to Animal Kingdom to meet my mother! The parking in Animal Kingdom was a nightmare! We didn’t get into the park until about 15/20 minutes after park opening but apparently my mother had similar problems too and just arrived.

After a ride on Dinosaur, we headed to Its Tough To Be A Bug to escape the cold. This would have worked well but we waited around for 20 minutes for technical difficulties. Eventually they let us through and gave us a FP, which we immediately used at Everest.

DnSHrpk.jpg

We went to Starbucks to get warm drinks and my husband refused to go on Safari as it was too cold. We went to see The Lion King for the first time in forever as it was protection for the weather.

Y3d1tQc.jpg

This made us about 10 minutes late to our Tiffins ADR but that was no problem since they had just opened! As there were 3 of us dining together, it made more sense to order a bottle of wine for the table as that would give us each roughly 1.75 glasses. My husband selected a Chilean Cabernet that was excellent with the dishes we would be eating.

7tHOL5v.jpg

Bottle of Wine

My mother wanted soup to warm her up so she went with the Butternut Squash. She enjoyed this but did comment that it had a spicy kick she wasn’t expecting (I think she didn’t fully read the menu and see the word “curry” in there)

ffCarcy.jpg

Butternut Squash Soup - Coconut-Curry Poached Key West Pink Shrimp

We also got bread service for the table. Was that needed? Not really. We did enjoy it though. My husband loved the Tadka. I stuck with the Blatjang for my naan and flatbread.

3m8sxe1.jpg

Tiffins Signature Bread Service - Tadka, Smoked Baba Ghanoush, Blatjang

For an entree, I went with the Ramen. This was a perfect cold weather dish for me since I hate beans or bean like things. The broth was so flavorful and with the right amount of spice. The pork belly was perfectly tender. I was sad I couldn’t finish it but it was so much food that a lot got left behind. The menu didn't mention anything about the mushrooms in the dish but at least those were easy to pick out!

JzYqwwZ.jpg

Braised Berkshire Pork Belly Ramen, Spiced Broth, Takean, Candied Pearl Onions, Sriracha-Lime Sauce

My mother and husband both got the same lunch special dish. This was also a great winter lunch. It was hearty and warm. It ate like a chili. Their portion size was a lot smaller than mine so they finished eating long before I did. At least it kept us in the restaurant until it was time for our FoP FP+.

s5gsmrg.jpg

Lunch Special - Braised Wagyu w/ Hominy, Forbidden Rice, Queso Fresco, Jalapeno Cornbread

My husband and I parted ways with my mother until later in the afternoon since we needed to head to the Marathon Weekend Expo to get his bib and such.

Last edited:

I love your beer stand! Good for you braving the cold to be so supportive! Wish I was there to join the fun! Yum to your ramen! Not sure I could get my DH to try Tiffins but definitely next girls trip! Finally, ate at Jiko last night and it was wonderful!

ZITxhfx.jpg

My Set Up
This is perfect!!!! I'm sure you were everyones favorite person on the course. Jason did the Hershey Half in October and said there were people tailgating and handing out beer all throughout the course. Almost makes me want to run :-) It was right before Halloween and one of the runners actually had a pumpkin and was passing out candy.

’m now in random selfies with strangers and it seems like one of the facebook groups was really happy! I did have to correct some rumors on one of them as apparently I got ‘shutdown’ by RunDisney. Nope! Just ran out of beer! (Their group actually got shutdown by RunDisney though during the half marathon)
You rebel you! I'd love to see your stranger selfies :P How much beer did you go through?

This made us about 10 minutes late to our Tiffins ADR but that was no problem since they had just opened! As there were 3 of us dining together, it made more sense to order a bottle of wine for the table as that would give us each roughly 1.75 glasses. My husband selected a Chilean Cabernet that was excellent with the dishes we would be eating.

7tHOL5v.jpg
Wine math! Next to disney my favorite kind :drinking1

JzYqwwZ.jpg

Braised Berkshire Pork Belly Ramen, Spiced Broth, Takean, Candied Pearl Onions, Sriracha-Lime Sauce
Mushrooms aside this looks amazing. It is currently 20 degrees and freezing rain outside. I made chili for dinner, but this looks infinitely better!

s5gsmrg.jpg

Lunch Special - Braised Wagyu w/ Hominy, Forbidden Rice, Queso Fresco, Jalapeno Cornbread
This looks pretty awesome too. I had a braised wagyu pasta dish there last year and really enjoyed it. Have they gotten rid of their lunch menu and now just have the price fix options? I've seen a few posts lately and couldn't quite figure it out. Love their food, but I'd hate to see such limited lunch options

Those entrees look delicious and perfect for a cold day. I have had in my head that the menu was too exotic for my taste but I think I’d love any of the dishes you had. I don’t spend a lot of time at AK, but next time I do, I’m going to check it out! Your beer stand was super cute and I’m sure much appreciated.

Yum, your meal at Tiffins looks awesome, and perfect for a cold day! :)

I love Tiffins! It is definitely one of the best restaurants Disney has recently added! Who doesn't love Chili or Soup on a cold day?

The ramen with pork belly looks amazing...Can't wait to our March ADR there!

Enjoy! I hope you love it as much as I do!

I love your beer stand! Good for you braving the cold to be so supportive! Wish I was there to join the fun! Yum to your ramen! Not sure I could get my DH to try Tiffins but definitely next girls trip! Finally, ate at Jiko last night and it was wonderful!

How did you like Jiko? Are you going to do a dining report? You know you should ;)

It was definitely cold out there but I think people really enjoyed it. Hope your trip went well!

This is perfect!!!! I'm sure you were everyones favorite person on the course. Jason did the Hershey Half in October and said there were people tailgating and handing out beer all throughout the course. Almost makes me want to run :-) It was right before Halloween and one of the runners actually had a pumpkin and was passing out candy.
I was either people's favorite person on course or least favorite as some people gave me really strange looks. The St Jude Half Marathon has a full half a mile of people handing out beer and shots during the race. Granted, I wasn't in the right head space during that run but it should have been super fun! Who doesn't love alcohol? That's awesome they were handing out candy like it was Halloween! Shaun said they had a few people handing out candy along the WDW Marathon Course and he stole the skittles.

You rebel you! I'd love to see your stranger selfies :P How much beer did you go through?
Rebel Scum ;)
upload_2018-1-10_6-25-25.png

I started with 48 beer cans. Each can was poured into 3 glasses so a little less than 150 beers. I bought good beer from the Southwest Florida Craft Breweries so I was only willing to spend so much! I haven't seen the selfies on Instagram yet but I did look for them! I know about 15 people took a photo with me.

Wine math! Next to disney my favorite kind :drinking1
IF you love Wine Math, you'll love my wine in the next post ;)

Mushrooms aside this looks amazing. It is currently 20 degrees and freezing rain outside. I made chili for dinner, but this looks infinitely better!
This was perfect for me! I hate beans and thus hate chili. I was really glad when the server told us that the Wagyu ate like a chili so I could quickly adjust my meal choice. Hopefully it has warmed up some for you now! IT has here - it was in the high 50s this morning!

This looks pretty awesome too. I had a braised wagyu pasta dish there last year and really enjoyed it. Have they gotten rid of their lunch menu and now just have the price fix options? I've seen a few posts lately and couldn't quite figure it out. Love their food, but I'd hate to see such limited lunch options
I think they still have the braised wagyu pasta too. They have the normal menu plus 2 'lunch' special options now. No more taste of Tiffins which makes me sad.

Those entrees look delicious and perfect for a cold day. I have had in my head that the menu was too exotic for my taste but I think I’d love any of the dishes you had. I don’t spend a lot of time at AK, but next time I do, I’m going to check it out! Your beer stand was super cute and I’m sure much appreciated.

I haven't found anything on the Disney menus that truly is too exotic for people's tastes. The menus make it sound much more 'foreign' than it really is. We've spent too much time in AK lately. I think we're going to end up skipping it in February and April. We haven't had any real time in the Magic Kingdom in almost a year! We need to fix that. You should really enjoy Tiffins - or if you are still nervous - go next door to Nomad Lounge and have a yummy drink and an appetizer!

Boardwalk Bakery Special Delivery

Once we left Animal Kingdom after our Flights of Passage FP+, my husband and I got into his truck and headed to the Wide World of Sports. We needed to pick up his bib for the Marathon along with his shirt. We also were shopping to see if there were warm clothing options that weren’t too expensive. Well, the only option that wasn’t crazy (we’re not spending $100 + on running pants for my husband) were these paper tyvek suits that were $10 for the jacket and $10 for the pants. He didn’t end up using them but at least we have it in our running equipment stash now in the future. It was one of our cheapest Expo experiences as we got out with only spending $20 as the jacket my husband wanted didn’t exist in his size. We would have to wait until Marathon Morning to see if they had any extra pre-order jackets for sale then.

Iabbmlo.jpg

f9UiBNE.jpg

jIqdckh.jpg

Expo over with, we headed back to the room to relaxed for a bit before we were going to head into EPCOT for dinner. About 30 minutes later, we had a knock on the door that my ‘surprise’ for my husband arrived. It turned out much better than I expected after the initial ‘no’ I was told. Originally I wanted a Boba Fett themed cake with the quote “You can run, but you’ll only die tired” as we all know my husband is a huge Boba Fett fan - I mean one of his calves is dedicated to Boba Fett and it was his first marathon. They told me they could do Boba Fett colors and I got more than I was expecting! I purposely didn’t buy him cake on his birthday the week before since we ordered this cake. It ended up being $96.57 with delivery and gratuity since we had it delivered to the room. I’m super happy with how it turned out! It was an almond soaked cake with a Milk Chocolate Caramel Mousse in the middle. As it arrived not long before we were leaving for dinner, we placed it in the fridge to enjoy after dinner! It was so moist and tasty when we did have it! We only ate half of it during the trip so the other half drove home with us for dinner late Sunday and dessert on Monday.

bMUnJZk.jpg

4qhozjM.jpg

Y94ygm1.jpg

Enjoyed after dinner with a glass of wine that I brought from home + real (plastic) wine cups leftover from the morning beer stand

How did you like Jiko? Are you going to do a dining report? You know you should ;)

It was definitely cold out there but I think people really enjoyed it. Hope your trip went well!
Looooved Jiko! I had the filet and it was perfect! Um, probably no trip/dining report in my future as I’m not that interesting of a writer....more of a talker! Lol!
My trip was great! The marathon was an AMAZING experience!! I ran the entire race and finished 5:01! I’m 99% sure I’m going to run DS HM as I saw there were still bibs and I have $25 off. I’ll be there anyways so why not run!!

Those expos can be expensive so kudos for getting out for $20! How sweet of you to order that cake. It looks yummy. Hopefully it gave your husband super powers for the race!

Following along! Those tots look amazing and both of the meals at Tiffins would be something that would go over well with my picky other half.
Once I get my new double jogging stroller I'm going to start running again with hopes of wine and dine this year!

That cake is awesome...my one (and only) attempt at ordering a cake at AKV was horrible! So glad yours turned out so much better!

Looooved Jiko! I had the filet and it was perfect! Um, probably no trip/dining report in my future as I’m not that interesting of a writer....more of a talker! Lol!
My trip was great! The marathon was an AMAZING experience!! I ran the entire race and finished 5:01! I’m 99% sure I’m going to run DS HM as I saw there were still bibs and I have $25 off. I’ll be there anyways so why not run!!

I'm glad you did well! 5:01 is a great time and I know in the top 25% of the field (my husband ended up with something similar). My husband is running DS FO Challenge. I'm just doing the 10K for that one!

Those expos can be expensive so kudos for getting out for $20! How sweet of you to order that cake. It looks yummy. Hopefully it gave your husband super powers for the race!

They can be expensive! If we were at Star Wars Light Side in Disneyland this weekend like we were supposed to be before it was cancelled - we typically don't get out of that expo for less than $800 between the RunDisney merchandise then the other stuff. Maybe its a good thing for my wallet that all Disneyland race weekends were cancelled!

Ok! I’m 100% in for DS! I will see you there!! :cool1:

Yay! Where you staying for that race?

Following along! Those tots look amazing and both of the meals at Tiffins would be something that would go over well with my picky other half.
Once I get my new double jogging stroller I'm going to start running again with hopes of wine and dine this year!

Welcome! The tots were amazing! I have a feeling we'll end up at ESPN Club next year during a game or something on our long trip around Wine & Dine just for me to get those tots and for him to watch sports. Hope you get to try Tiffins! Yay for having a racing goal!

That cake is awesome...my one (and only) attempt at ordering a cake at AKV was horrible! So glad yours turned out so much better!

I'm sorry to hear your attempt at AKV was horrible! I admit I was nervous. I also had 0 idea what the price was going to be or what exactly I was getting which was also a scary thought. I was happy it ended up being the price that it was! I think going with the places with true wedding cake bakeries helps out on the design - I've seen some great cakes out of GF, BW. The other ones seems to vary based off the cake thread.

La Hacienda de San Angel

My mother arrived at the Boardwalk a little after 4PM and stopped by our room so she could drop off a couple of things to us. I now own 2 Fisheye Lens for my DSLR since she won’t use them with her camera and is happy with the kit lens. We walked over to EPCOT and checked in right on time for our 5PM dinner reservation. We were quickly seated at one of the booths along the back.

Drinks were quickly ordered. My husband shocked me and ordered a glass of tequila. Apparently this is a highly rated extra anejo and he really wanted to try it out. Since it is a popular seller and expensive, it wouldn’t be one of the bottles they would open for the employees to taste. This new job of his has really opened his palette up!

hICs6wm.jpg

Don Julio 1942

I went with a refreshing margarita. I didn’t want something too exotic or spicy so a minty pineapple was exactly called for.

FEWGep0.jpg

Minty Pineapple Margarita

After our drinks were situated, we enjoyed our chips and salsa until our appetizer arrived.

qf4lvqJ.jpg

Chips & Salsa

For our appetizer, my husband and I got our favorite dish here for that part and shared with my mother. Splitting here three ways was the right move as it was enough to enjoy but not overdo it. We really enjoy this! Excuse the horrible photo as we dove right in so you get a partially eaten fundido!

KTu9qik.jpg

Queso Fundido - Melted Cheese w/ Chorizo, Poblano & Serrano Peppers, Avocado-Tomatillo Sauce and Flour Tortillas

When we were looking at entrees, we all kinda realized that we weren’t overly hungry. I remembered that my husband had split a meat plate with one of my girlfriend’s then (now ex) fiance a couple of years ago. After we talked about it, we realized we could easily split the entree for “2” for “3” and have enough to eat. This was an excellent choice! My mother was happy with having the veggies and dark meat chicken. I ate the strip steak and it was cooked to a perfect medium rare. My husband enjoyed the white meat chicken and a couple of the chorizos. All of us really enjoyed the rice. We were split on the corn. My mother didn’t like the toppings on it but I enjoyed the part of the corn without toppings so I couldn’t comment on that part.

MwohC7Y.jpg

dlpH65M.jpg

La Hacienda - Mixed Grill Offering New York Strip, Half a Chicken Al Pastor, Chorizos, Vegetables, served with Beans, Rice and Fresh Salsas

After dinner, we walked back to the Boardwalk. We said goodbye to my mother who was heading back to her hotel and we headed to our room where we enjoyed our cake and were asleep before 9PM.​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter