**follow up question #15-Sheraton Vistana or Marriotts Harbor Lake/Grand Vista/Imperial Palms

marshallandcartersmo

DIS Veteran
What would you choose and why? We can reserve these right now through II getaways, & they are all 3 running about the same price for a 2 bedroom during our spring break. We are looking for more of a resort vacation this trip, might go to the parks 2 days, maybe a Disney waterpark another day.

Looking for a great resort pool, 2 bedrooms essential.

Or, would you spend the extra $500 and reserve Bonnet Creek?

TIA

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of these. I personally would not spend the extra for Bonnet Creek, unless you want that closer distance to Disney.

This probably isn't that helpful because everyone is different. I often go for Sheraton Vistana Resort and would pick it above the others quite often as we are a tennis playing family, and they have lots of clay lighted tennis courts (way more tennis courts than any of the other timeshares in the area we've tried and we really love playing on clay -- you don't find a lot of clay courts these days). I also like it that they have lots of little man made ponds and that for sitting out on your balcony or patio you usually have a water view rather than a parking lot view. We sit out a lot. I've had better luck with views from my patio or balcony with the Sheraton Vistana resort consistently than at other timeshares. These are two things I care about a lot, so with all having nice condo units and pools, I give the Vistana the edge. There are multiple sections of this resort, so you might find some pools have more of a wow factor than others, but every unit is close to a decent pool and you can pool hop to any section. They also keep their pools open later than many of the Orlando timeshares, and our teen/20 somethings like it as after closing out a theme park they like to come back and do a late night swim. The Vistana, though, is a big resort with multiple sections. If you want a smaller resort, don't pick the Vistana.

I too despite my love of the Vistana resort switch things up and try other places too (variety is the spice of life). Marriotts consistently get good ratings (I've only stayed on one of the three Marriott's that you mentioned and liked that one too), and as you know there is probably more love for Bonnet Creek than any other timeshare on this forum (but I really think that is all about Disney proximity).

I belong to TUG2.net, a timeshare users group where I can read reviews and see ratings of timeshares.

Here are the number of reviews and rating on that site for the resorts you are considering. Anything rated an 8 or above (all the resort you are considering) I'll most likely be super happy with. The one I most often pick, the Vistana, actually is the lowest rated of the bunch, but so close to some of the others that I wouldn't read much into that. Usually I have been able to get the Vistana quite a bit cheaper than Marriotts renting on Redweek.com or TUG2.net classified ads section, and that has probably swayed me to stay there often too. I've done about 18 different timeshare stays in Orlando, renting or trading my parent's Sedona, AZ timeshare and have not had any bad experiences.

Grand Vista -- 91 reviews 8.9 rating
Harbor Lake -- 47 reviews 8.62 rating
Bonnet Creek -- 89 reviews 8.59 rating
Imperial Palms -- 19 reviews 8.56 rating
Sheraton Vistana Resort -- 105 reviews 8.44 rating

Last edited:
I would save the $500 unless being as close to Disney is a priority, which would make Bonnet Creek the choice.

If you have young kids, Harbour Lake was excellent. They had lots of activities and you didn't need to leave the resort.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these, but I wouldn't pay extra.

I wouldn't spend $500 more for Bonnet Creek either if this is a resort trip. I've stayed at Grande Vista, Bonnet Creek, Vistana Resort and Vistana Villages with kids and rank them:

Marriott's Grande Vista
Bonnet Creek
Sheraton's Vistana Village
Sheraton's Vistana Resort

Grand Vista -- 91 reviews 8.9 rating
Harbor Lake -- 47 reviews 8.62 rating
Bonnet Creek -- 89 reviews 8.59 rating
Imperial Palms -- 19 reviews 8.56 rating
Sheraton Vistana Resort -- 105 reviews 8.44 rating

Thanks for posting the ratings. They look like they're all pretty much in the same ballpark, and except for Imperial Palms, have enough reviews to be valid indicators.

I also appreciate you posting from a timeshare forum, which seems like a more reliable source since the respondents probably have a realistic understanding of what a timeshare resort is - and what it isn't. I'm always amazed by people who give low ratings on trip advisor because they got to a timeshare and didn't get daily maid service.

One thing I dislike about the TUG ratings is that they take into account all ratings across all time. For Vistana Resort those 105 reviews and ratings go back about 14 years (the oldest rating is from 2004), and many were registered before the resort had a complete refurbishment. The numbers improved greatly after the resort was redone, and it would probably score much higher if only accounting for the last 5-6 years or ratings.

This may impact on other resorts in the list as well as their quality can vary over time. In general you can't go wrong with any of the resorts on the list.

Thank you so much for your replies! I’ll be traveling with 18 & 15 y/o’s
We will probably head to Disney a day or two, but not a sun up to sun down 5 days in a row kind of trip this time

Thank you!

For kids that age I might well pick Vistana. My kids are in their 20's now, but really enjoyed the resort as teens. There is a lot to do for that age group, the Spas Super Pool has a volleyball net and there is often a pickup game going on; that pool seems to attract more teens than others. As parents we would leave the kids to participate at a busy pool and head to a quieter pool to relax. There are also several basketball courts and a couple of beach volleyball nets, also with pickup games going on. Also the previously mentioned tennis and pickleball, surrey bike rentals and mini-putt. Whether they are joiners or loungers, there's something for all teens to do. With 7 pools all with varying crowd types, age levels, and volume levels, there is something to please pretty much everyone.

Just a few notes, as we book getaways frequently for Orlando....

We've stayed several times at Marriott Sabal Palms, which is one of three timeshares in the Marriott World complex. We LOVE the Sabal and all my adult children, ages 19 - 29, really enjoy the World pool, which you can use as a guest of the timeshares. (Sabal, Imperial and Royal) They have a free shuttle to the large pool if you stay at the Royal or Imperial. For distance to Disney, you can't beat it. The entrance to the Marriott is literally on Epcot center drive, across I4. Imperial Palms is part of this large resort complex.

My second choice, and a popular place for my young adults (and hubby and I!) is the Sheraton Vistana Resort. We stayed here twice this year so far. My advice is to see which pools are open late for your older kids. I believe the Fountains pool is one? The Sheraton is an outstanding resort and is our first choice for our upcoming May trip. Getaways for the Sheraton are cheaper than the Marriott Palms resorts.

I would NOT pay the extra $500 for WBC. If you were spending a lot of time at Disney or got a really good deal, I would say for for it. But usually I see prices for a lot more than getaways for the Marriott Palms (all 3) or the Sheraton Vistana. The only difference is that WBC is on the "Disney side" of I4 and the Marriott and Sheraton are on the other side. Just a few minutes driving time difference! (not even 5 minutes, more like 2)

I have not stayed at Harbour Lake, but I have a friend who just did. She liked it a lot, but it is farther up, by Seaworld.

We've stayed several times at Marriott Sabal Palms, which is one of three timeshares in the Marriott World complex. We LOVE the Sabal and all my adult children, ages 19 - 29, really enjoy the World pool, which you can use as a guest of the timeshares. (Sabal, Imperial and Royal) They have a free shuttle to the large pool if you stay at the Royal or Imperial. For distance to Disney, you can't beat it. The entrance to the Marriott is literally on Epcot center drive, across I4. Imperial Palms is part of this large resort complex.

My second choice, and a popular place for my young adults (and hubby and I!) is the Sheraton Vistana Resort. We stayed here twice this year so far. My advice is to see which pools are open late for your older kids. I believe the Fountains pool is one? The Sheraton is an outstanding resort and is our first choice for our upcoming May trip. Getaways for the Sheraton are cheaper than the Marriott Palms resorts.

Ditto this! Haven't stayed at SVR (2014 my inlaws were there and we visited while we were at Grande Vista). Just stayed at Harbour lake in September-that resort is undergoing a refurb-we were in the building next to the refurb but heard nothing (and we were late risers due to being out late at night at HHN). Lovely pool areas.
We loved Sabal Palms (we stayed at Imperial and Royal before the World center makeover and addition of the huge slide) due to getting to use World Center pool and slides. Sabal palms it is quicker by far and very short walk to World Center, but the condo set up is a bit awkward-we like to sleep in on vacation and the bathroom has glass block wall in the walk in shower (which is ginormous) but was very bright in mornings.

Of all the Marriott timeshares Cypress Harbour is our hands down favorite-great pools and so many activities-including soccer field, basketball court, shuffle board, mini golf. The smaller pool also has lanes that my swimmer was able to use on quieter nights to get her workout in-just an FYI if that resort pops up

also Imperial is 3 bedrooms which is nice! And depending on the unit at Grande vista (and maybe Harbour lake-we had a dedicated 2 bed in September)you may get a 1 bedroom lock off-the second bedroom is really a studio, and may have just one real bed with pullout couch. Sabal and royal have 2 beds in in 2nd bedroom.

Ditto this! Haven't stayed at SVR (2014 my inlaws were there and we visited while we were at Grande Vista). Just stayed at Harbour lake in September-that resort is undergoing a refurb-we were in the building next to the refurb but heard nothing (and we were late risers due to being out late at night at HHN). Lovely pool areas.
We loved Sabal Palms (we stayed at Imperial and Royal before the World center makeover and addition of the huge slide) due to getting to use World Center pool and slides. Sabal palms it is quicker by far and very short walk to World Center, but the condo set up is a bit awkward-we like to sleep in on vacation and the bathroom has glass block wall in the walk in shower (which is ginormous) but was very bright in mornings.

Of all the Marriott timeshares Cypress Harbour is our hands down favorite-great pools and so many activities-including soccer field, basketball court, shuffle board, mini golf. The smaller pool also has lanes that my swimmer was able to use on quieter nights to get her workout in-just an FYI if that resort pops up

also Imperial is 3 bedrooms which is nice! And depending on the unit at Grande vista (and maybe Harbour lake-we had a dedicated 2 bed in September)you may get a 1 bedroom lock off-the second bedroom is really a studio, and may have just one real bed with pullout couch. Sabal and royal have 2 beds in in 2nd bedroom.

We love Sabal Palms as well. The whole complex is recently renovated and it’s a great location. We planned on switching to Imperial Palms for 2019 because of the 3rd bedroom but you can’t use points for any dates in 2019 that I have tried. So for now we booked Cypress Harbour. It looks just as nice just not as big maybe and a few miles further. It’s about 8 min more each morning but not a big deal.

We always use Marriott points and stay at one of those for free each trip. I’ll never stay onsite again.

So for now we booked Cypress Harbour.
Have you been to Cypress Harbour before? I think we'd always choose CH before any of the other properties (and there is good about them all). It is a few minutes more to Disney but not terrible. I also took the "back way" to Universal from Harbour Lake in September and avoided 90% of the traffic. It is never the way the GPS wants you to go but it is quicker and less stressful.

Have you been to Cypress Harbour before? I think we'd always choose CH before any of the other properties (and there is good about them all). It is a few minutes more to Disney but not terrible. I also took the "back way" to Universal from Harbour Lake in September and avoided 90% of the traffic. It is never the way the GPS wants you to go but it is quicker and less stressful.
No we haven’t been to Cypress Harbour. It does look nice but a 3 BR at Imperial Palms would be better for us. We have 3 kids and the grandparents going.

Thanks again for all the replies
Do any of the II resorts have a lazy river? I know BC does but am leaning towards not paying the extra $500 (thanks to these posts!)

Thanks again for all the replies
Do any of the II resorts have a lazy river? I know BC does but am leaning towards not paying the extra $500 (thanks to these posts!)
Not that I recall no lazy river. But the pools generally aren’t crowded and have activities. If you are doing a water park anyway lazy river may not be as important. The Sheraton Vistana Resort has some different pools, and lots of stuff for teens to do, and the Marriott “Palms” have use of Marriott world center pool and slides, has poolside (and chair side) service for food and drinks.
For the savings over BC you could add in another water park day or day trip to Kennedy Space Center.

No we haven’t been to Cypress Harbour. It does look nice but a 3 BR at Imperial Palms would be better for us. We have 3 kids and the grandparents going.
Hope you get the three bedroom! We need to define plans for next summer as well- if we could snag an Imperial Palms three bedroom I’d be tempted to go with that over our fave of CH

Hope you get the three bedroom! We need to define plans for next summer as well- if we could snag an Imperial Palms three bedroom I’d be tempted to go with that over our fave of CH
So far I haven’t found any dates that they are allowing people to use points in 2019. I’ve even called them and they have no idea why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!