Your Help Is Really Appreciated!

wdw1976

Mouseketeer
037.jpg

My sister got married yesterday. The reception was in a wine cellar so as you can see the lighting made everything yellow or yellow casted. When I tried to correct it, it just seems worse. If anyone has any suggestions, much appreciated!

The first thing that jumped out at me was that the white balance was off. What format is this picture in? Is it a JPEG or do you have the RAW file. If its in JPEG your options will be fewer than if you have the RAW file. Also, it appears to be slightly out of focus. Without the original file its hard to determine what can be done to salvage it.

The white balance needs some help, as does the exposure.

Are these RAW or jpeg? If RAW, getting the WB is fairly easy. If jpeg then you need to color correct and it will be a lot more challenging to get the job done. What software do you have?

It is a tough fix with this jpg. I saved it and tried a few things. It just doesn't look right. Probably needs the color correction that photo chick speaks of but I don't know that. RAW is much much easier to deal with and all that I shoot nowadays. I hope you shot this in RAW as well.

I wish I knew how the controls of the Fotor app translated into actual photographic software, but lowering Saturation did most of this: ( I also reduced highlights and a few other minor tweaks):
019C8946-58D3-4D24-A947-88DEF17C995A-1792-000002C28F11692B.jpg

Thank You both I was hoping the two of you would respond. As you know I'm just beginning to learn photography......And when my sister asked me to take pictures I said sure......but did not realize that there would not be a professional photographer there. So......yes I took 500 pictures......but in my mind...they are terrible and I am devasted that this will be what I have to work with. I only have a Canon Powershot SX40. I shot some in "dim light" some in "auto" some with flash.........etc...etc...etc.... My only goal at this point is to correct the lighting, so that everything does not have the "yellow effect", but in reality that was how the wine cellar was. I upload my pictures to photobucket and did some correction..........but these need so much more!!! I guess at this point........what I'm asking because this is so important....would I be able to find a "good photographer" at this point...to try and correct my photos that I took? And if you know of anyone who does this....much appreciated! Again, thanks! I love to read all your advise to those of us who are just learning and loving photography!
Susan

That is very similar to what I could come up with. I just turned up contrast and blacks a bit to get rid of some of the strange color blotches.

Version1 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Working off the copy from above I was able to correct it somewhat. I think it looks better, but I probably should not have taken out as much noise because I lost just a little definition. I really put some sharpening in it and it could be softened somewhat. The originals, if they are anything like this, should be salvageable. I used Photoshop Elements with Topaz plug-ins.

I tried messing with the pic some, but couldn't really get a good result. The only thing that did look decent was turning the pic to b&w.

078.jpg

Someone else took this picture......but the theme remains.........the lighting......the focus...I tried to get it to the point that I could even say that it was "tolerable".....but couldn't...

Version3 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Again just working off what you posted, and a three minute quick PP and they are better. These are salvageable. Are they going to be professional grade? No, but they will be acceptable or at least better than the originals. You just need to find someone with the right tools to do it.

reason # 124 why you should shoot in raw.

that and understand your camera and know how to shoot in low light in the 1st place.

reason # 124 why you should shoot in raw.

that and understand your camera and know how to shoot in low light in the 1st place.

As all know who post here, I'm a Pentax guy. I rely on research when looking at other brands. I have searched high and low and cannot find that shooting in RAW was available to the OP, without an add-on second party firmware called CHDK. Of course, I have no idea exactly what that is, except that it allows extra functionality to certain Canon Powershot cameras. The SX40 does have a lot functionality and manual controls that could have alleviated some the OP's post event angst. That's all water under the bridge at this point. For future reference, my recommendation to the OP, if they wish to advance their skills is to learn more about photography and apply it to their camera's abilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter