Youtube May Kill Your Favorite Disney-themed Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poor Gail

Earning My Ears
News has hit the Youtube community about new regulations that will start at the beginning of 2020. Content creators will now have to designate all their videos, past and future, as to whether or not they are "kid-directed". The definition of this is very vague, but is meant to identify if a video is aimed at kids. Why does this make a difference? Because being a kid-directed video changes what ads are going to be shown on those videos. Estimates at present are that creators will see a 60 to 90% drop in income from their videos. Yeah, you read those numbers right.

But I can hear you think, "But the videos I watch are meant for adults, since they are for vacation planning." That sounds great, but all it takes is Youtube's machine learning system to decide that anything Disney is kid-directed, and not only can the channel be demonitized, but the FTC can fine the creator 42k *per video* for violating the regulations.

This is causing a huge stir in many areas of Youtube, such as the video game and anime/manga channels, where creators who make content for adults are afraid they'll be judged by people who think that video games are just for kids, and "anime/manga are cartoons, and cartoons are for kids!" It occurred to me that this will impact many theme park and family vacation channels. The FTC has a place on their site to comment on these new rules, and I would recommend going there if you have a Youtube channel you love. I would hate to lose gems like Offhand Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter