Zero Forky's Given - An August 2019 Dining Report - Completed 8/18

They really go all out when presenting the food. I didn't care for the smear that looked like blood. But the dessert that Jason had was very cute. It doesn't look like something that I would want to eat, though. A nice hot fudge sundae is more my style. :)

Last edited:
As usual i am laughing out loud... for real!

i love me some Tipsy notes!

Or if you’re reading my notes “Jason kind king special with ref wins fight.”

I cant.... of course he wins he got the wine pairing that is a win!

No tipsy translation needed here because this was amazing. My notes say so themselves and while my tipsy self can’t spell she never lies. “Clams AH-MAZ-ING with rich marrow and spinach and pomegranate very good play on seafood and bacon.”

OH my this looks amazing, i don't need tipsy notes to tell me that!

We also ordered the most amazing mac and cheese known to man the Bobotie Macaroni and Cheese with Four Cheeses, Wagyu, Almonds, Raisins, and Cape Malay Curry.
Another amazing looking dish!

Love this waiter was so nice and i think really appreciates Casey, such a great meal! You will have to invite him to Caseys future gymnastics meets!

This “breakfast” at Kona was the single worst meal we’ve ever had at Disney. We’ve always had horrible service there but we’ve been able to overlook it in the name of good food. No more as this will forever be known as the meal where Zero Forky’s Were Given.
Those pictures were revolting....how did you even put one bite of that schlop in your mouths???
Now with all our culinary catastrophes we should have complained, but our server was nowhere to be found and we just wanted to cut our losses and high tail it out of there. I should also mention that our mood was definitely impacted as our dog sitter couldn’t get our bull headed dog to go up the deck stairs and back into the house. After 2 hours of trying in almost 90 degree heat I ended up calling my Dad and a good friend to help and they had to put our exhausted and overheated old man on a rug to carry him into the house. We were hopeful things would get better but started to contemplate heading home early.
Poor old guy! How is he doing now?
Before capturing these gems on the way out
Gorgeous pictures!
Any guesses who her favorite parent is?
Mmmmm, not sure but she looks exactly like Jason here.
Can you name that wine?
Gewurztraminer?
Amazing food, impeccable service, and a wee bit o tipsiness this meal was everything our souls and stomachs needed. Jiko is always at the top of our Disney dining destinations and this visit continued their amazing trend. Jason even declared “come for steak but stay for Mac and. Geese.” Not only did we save $42.15 with our tables in wonderland card but 5 forky’s were unquestionably given.
Now that looks like a phenomenal dinner from start to finish!

Fantastic tipsy notes!! Hooray for Jiko turning things around so you could use all your Forkys! True fact - we almost always stay at AKL and still haven't made it to Jiko. :rolleyes2 Although I've tried to eat there every trip, I guess we are just too tired from the parks for such fanciness. Sigh . . maybe next time! 🤞

Finally all caught up.

I am so sad about Kina Cafe!😭 This was always a favorite breakfast! At least you didn't tell me Tonga Toast had gone bad. Mike is disappointed with your review of the Samoan. He liked it as well. I guess I will just have to get my Tonga on at Captain Cook's

Jiko is DA BOMB 💖💖💖💖. Have you ever tried De Toren wine there? It is a wonderful red that you can only find at Jiko in North America. It is my favorite. The mac n' cheese looks outta this world. I usually only like basic mac n' cheese, but my tummy is rumbling just hearing about it and looking at the photo.

Your tipsy notes crack me up!🤣 Do you enter them on your phone? They look suspiciously like my sober notes after autocorrect gets to them! I live your tipsy reports, as I spend much of my time at Disney in a tipsy state.

. Now tipsy olive garden I'm pretty sure we could make into an internet sensation :D

I’ve only been to Olive Garden once (1st trip to USA in 1993) and I ordered soup alongside my meal. I didn’t blimin like it but good manners (and my upbringing where wasting good food was a sin) made me eat it. Well every time I finished that flipping soup they refilled the bowl!! I swear I waddled out of there that night lol. It was the first of many refills that trip ( soft drinks, soup, bread rolls-why oh why is it never free wine 😂)

Glad Jiko broke the trend and that you had a fab meal there. So sorry to hear about your mum. Never easy no matter what stage of life we’re at but I’m so glad the meal and wine helped mark her birthday in a happy way. Casey looks so chuffed with her drink and is a perfect dining companion :)

I believe I texted you when we finally ate at Jiko in Sept and told you we LOVED it; I can't believe we waited so long!

prettied ourselves
Ya clean up well, luckily for Casey so she doesn't have to be embarrassed
our favorite Jiko server Onsy. We had him on our last trip and he was amazing and we needed all sorts of amazing right now.
I don't remember seeing him but we had an awesome server too! Not Rony awesome but pretty close. Of course I can't remember her name either :headache:
shade filet just as good as last time perfect Cooke potatoes big as good lacking a bit but still like”
Oooh I shaded the filet when we went and it was also perfect Cooke with potatoes big :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Beyond the clear fact that this is apparently supposed to entice you with blood stains and carnage all over the plate
Ah.....I could compare this to a few things, but will refrain :P
We also ordered the most amazing mac and cheese known to man the Bobotie Macaroni and Cheese with Four Cheeses, Wagyu, Almonds, Raisins, and Cape Malay Curry.
But we forgot to try this! We had apps and were so excited for those and the entrees my mind just blanked on this/ For next time definitely
a Congratulations moose and brownie.
Congrats on prettying yourself? Shading the filet? Not falling out of your chair?

We sipped on some wine and prettied ourselves before ubering from Caribbean Beach to Animal Kingdom Lodge. We even stopped to take some photos along the way.
Hey! That picture is taken right across form the room my family stayed in on our 2010 trip. I'm pretty sure I have pictures in exactly the same spot.

Someone even got a chance to work on her knife skills
My 12 year old is still working on her knife skills.

Beyond the clear fact that this is apparently supposed to entice you with blood stains and carnage all over the plate
I wonder if they were going with a "fresh lion kill" theme? It does looks good none the less.

Because “Mac and chess better than lag time heesier and meet no elk but more bugs as* crunch and apricots slight sweet viney soaked toes add bright red win sauce add great richness still best ever” of course. Seriously though the bugs and toes aside this is rich and decadent and with tons of textures and flavors. While not a classic mac and cheese it is unequivocally the best I’ve ever eaten.
It looks great and although I've never had it, I've heard good things. I think I even saw a recipe for it somewhere. But I usually find those online recipes for Disney meals are a bit off. The few I've tried to do never seem quite right. But any place that can make bugs and toes tasty must be good.

I've never tried Jiko... I might just have to do that. I think it's right up our alley
You should definitely try it. Its certainly under the radar compared to other signatures but in no way should it be.

I had a two night whirlwind trip for Food and Wine Festival with 6 girlfriends. Arrived at like 7:45PM Friday - had dinner at Sanaa, spent most of Saturday in EPCOT for F&W with the masses and did dinner at the bar at Jiko that evening. We did HS for a couple hours Sunday morning to get some Star Wars in before heading home & a walk in alcoholic breakfast at Oga's.
That sounds like so much fun!!!!

We'll be there this time next year as well! Thinking October 30th to Nov 8th or 9th. I need to pin it down soon since I have to make our DVC reservations for Boardwalk. Maybe we'll finally meet that time around!
WOOHOO!!!!! We should be there just about the same time so we can FINALLY meet. Right now we're at Coronado from the 1st through 9th. Hoping to switch to at least CBR to be closer to Epcot but they didn't have any military rates open.

No. Again, it's just one of those places we want to hit but can't fit it in. Maybe I need to rethink something in March...
Cause i know you have all the plans already :P

I'm 8 pages late to the party, but so glad to be here :) Your poor pup; I'm so glad you didn't end up having to go home from your trip early, but I can't even imagine how anxious you all must have felt trying to decide what to do!
Always glad to have my Miller Lite sister along for the ride! We definitely had some sleepless nights and I even had plane tickets at one point, but thankfully it all worked out.

So, you're saying if I ever go to Africa, I'm all set?!
Yup!!!!!!!!! Elephants, giraffes, and Miller Lite. What more does an American girl abroad need?

Well, it's nice to hear that your faith in Disney Dining was restored after this meal ::yes::
It so was. Things are (mostly) smooth sailing from here but we'll have a few misfires.

Orrrr...something like that. :laughing:

As always, your tipsy notes are a delight to try to decipher!
And lucky you got to try and decipher tipsy me in person :drinking1

They really go all out when presenting the food. I didn't care for the smear that looked like blood. But the dessert that Jason had was very cute. It doesn't look like something that I would want to eat, though. A nice hot fudge sundae is more my style. :)
Yeah the blood smear was a bit much,but this was certainly some of the best presentations and quality we've ever seen from Disney.

As usual i am laughing out loud... for real!

i love me some Tipsy notes!
Glad I could indulge you. I definitely enjoy the tipsiness more but the notes are fun too :drinking1

OH my this looks amazing, i don't need tipsy notes to tell me that!
You don't, but they really do help don't they :earboy2:

Love this waiter was so nice and i think really appreciates Casey, such a great meal! You will have to invite him to Caseys future gymnastics meets!
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: He really is great and definitely worth asking for if you are there.

Those pictures were revolting....how did you even put one bite of that schlop in your mouths???
Jason's was by far the worst and I would't even touch it. How he ate it is beyond me.

Poor old guy! How is he doing now?
He's up and down and slowing down considerably but we're hoping he can at least make it through the holidays. He's almost 12 and a breed that usually lives 8-10 years so he's doing great considering.

Mmmmm, not sure but she looks exactly like Jason here.
She is definitely his little mini-me. Figures I do all the work to bring her into the world and she's all him :D

Gewurztraminer?
:thumbsup2

Fantastic tipsy notes!! Hooray for Jiko turning things around so you could use all your Forkys! True fact - we almost always stay at AKL and still haven't made it to Jiko. :rolleyes2 Although I've tried to eat there every trip, I guess we are just too tired from the parks for such fanciness. Sigh . . maybe next time! 🤞
I cannot believe you've been so close and haven't been there. Next time you at least need to go to their lounge and have a drink and an appetizer. That should lure you back for a full meal!

I am so sad about Kina Cafe!😭 This was always a favorite breakfast! At least you didn't tell me Tonga Toast had gone bad. Mike is disappointed with your review of the Samoan. He liked it as well. I guess I will just have to get my Tonga on at Captain Cook's
It used to be one of our favorites too, but not sure we'll ever be back again. I don't like sweets in the morning so never do the Tonga Toast, but Captain Cooks is likely your better bet as even if it is disappointing you've spent considerably less.

Jiko is DA BOMB 💖💖💖💖. Have you ever tried De Toren wine there? It is a wonderful red that you can only find at Jiko in North America. It is my favorite. The mac n' cheese looks outta this world. I usually only like basic mac n' cheese, but my tummy is rumbling just hearing about it and looking at the photo.
I haven't had it there, but Yachtsmen has the same wine and you are right about how good it is. Its our go to there. Somehow I missed it on the Jiko menu.

The mac and cheese is seriously one of the best things in Disney and should not be missed!!!

Your tipsy notes crack me up!🤣 Do you enter them on your phone? They look suspiciously like my sober notes after autocorrect gets to them! I live your tipsy reports, as I spend much of my time at Disney in a tipsy state.
I do. I usually do it when we are on a bus or an uber headed back from a restaurant or park so I'm in a hurry and when tipsy pay no attention to anything. I write it in notes so I don't think it has autocorrect or maybe that is really to blame and not me :drinking1

I’ve only been to Olive Garden once (1st trip to USA in 1993) and I ordered soup alongside my meal. I didn’t blimin like it but good manners (and my upbringing where wasting good food was a sin) made me eat it. Well every time I finished that flipping soup they refilled the bowl!! I swear I waddled out of there that night lol. It was the first of many refills that trip ( soft drinks, soup, bread rolls-why oh why is it never free wine 😂)
That is too funny!!!!!! You may have been to Olive Garden since me. I'm pretty sure I've been a handful of times but have no discernible memory of it except for the breadsticks which I consumed in the exact same fashion as your soup.

Glad Jiko broke the trend and that you had a fab meal there. So sorry to hear about your mum. Never easy no matter what stage of life we’re at but I’m so glad the meal and wine helped mark her birthday in a happy way. Casey looks so chuffed with her drink and is a perfect dining companion :)
Yes this meal was so needed on so many fronts.

Oh Yummy Jiko, hilarious tipsy notes as usual
It really was so yummy. i dream of that mac and cheese.

I believe I texted you when we finally ate at Jiko in Sept and told you we LOVED it; I can't believe we waited so long!
You did and I have no idea why you waited so long either. Its definitely in our top signature spot there days.

Ya clean up well, luckily for Casey so she doesn't have to be embarrassed
We at least clean-up so we can embarrass her in so many other ways :earboy2:

I don't remember seeing him but we had an awesome server too! Not Rony awesome but pretty close. Of course I can't remember her name either :headache:
We've always had impeccable service there. I think our guy is the Jiko version of Rony and he does all of the training for the restaurant so it is always wonderful.

Oooh I shaded the filet when we went and it was also perfect Cooke with potatoes big :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Your a filet shader too???? I knew I liked you.

Ah.....I could compare this to a few things, but will refrain :P
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Oddly my brain hadn't even gone there. Until now. Thanks for that.

But we forgot to try this! We had apps and were so excited for those and the entrees my mind just blanked on this/ For next time definitely
I remember you forgot to get it too. Its worth skipping apps for. Mac and Geese perfection :D

Congrats on prettying yourself? Shading the filet? Not falling out of your chair?
Really just the last one. Its a daily accomplishment I strive for but don't always achieve :drinking1💺:rotfl2:

Hey! That picture is taken right across form the room my family stayed in on our 2010 trip. I'm pretty sure I have pictures in exactly the same spot.
Too funny. We were on the second floor in building 31 I think. It was a great location right by the water and not too far from the pool or restaurants.

My 12 year old is still working on her knife skills.
I was probably 20 something before I finally learned how to use one. My mother insisted on cutting everything for me so I never learned. Didn't want Casey to be in the same boat :D

I wonder if they were going with a "fresh lion kill" theme? It does looks good none the less.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

It looks great and although I've never had it, I've heard good things. I think I even saw a recipe for it somewhere. But I usually find those online recipes for Disney meals are a bit off. The few I've tried to do never seem quite right. But any place that can make bugs and toes tasty must be good.
I've tried the same thing and haven't had any luck. I think its all the pixie dust they are putting in the food that makes it so good. And the 🐞 and🦶 of course:P

Turns out a group we saw downing Coronas at 11 am at the gate (which isn’t allowed BTW) was making some kind of disturbance and got kicked off the plane. Drunks removed they then couldn’t get the gate bridge to move. They finally did but then we waited on the runway because the plane in front of us hit a bird.

Wow. If you'd asked me what 3 things had delayed you, not one of those would've came to mind.

We made a mandatory pit stop at Ample Hills for some of the best ice cream ever – Ooey Gooey Butter Cake. This unquestionably added to my already ample hills, but it was so worth it.

SO good and always worth it. We have one here in Brooklyn and now I'm wondering if I convince anyone to go with me tomorrow in 30 degree weather.

Not wanting to be left out Casey downed Grasshopper #2.

Wow. Very impressed. My friend's daughter ate a grasshopper at a local science center in order to get a sticker and these kids are definitely braver than I am!

When a grasshopper is your favorite part of a meal, its probably not the best sign.

Yikes.

It's not as obvious from the photo but this thing was so big I could tell she was looking at her $1000 Verizon bill, which just raised so many more questions.

giphy.gif

Certainly with a bill that high she has a smart phone she could've done that on?!

The piece de resistance. The Tour de Force. The Treasure of the Polynesian. Ladies and gentleman please meet the dish my husband called the worst thing ever served on Disney property (and he even ate at Chef Mickey’s once), the one, the only……Loco Moco.

Wow. That definitely looks terrible. I'm impressed he even ate it at all.

We’ve always had horrible service there but we’ve been able to overlook it in the name of good food. No more as this will forever be known as the meal where Zero Forky’s Were Given.

Well it'll certainly be a meal you never forget!

Everything about this sounds delicious as long as I can have it without raisins! Jiko is definitely on my list to get to asap.

Wow. If you'd asked me what 3 things had delayed you, not one of those would've came to mind.
Me either. On a bright and sunny day we figured it would be smooth sailing but then birds and drunks hold us up.

We have one here in Brooklyn and now I'm wondering if I convince anyone to go with me tomorrow in 30 degree weather.
Sounds like the perfect time to go to me! So jealous you have one nearby

Certainly with a bill that high she has a smart phone she could've done that on?!
I know, right???? But when you can lug a massive lap top to a restaurant so the entire place can see what you are doing, I mean why not :confused3

Everything about this sounds delicious as long as I can have it without raisins! Jiko is definitely on my list to get to asap.
You should most definitely go. Hands down our favorite place on property

Lions and Lines and Beef, Oh My!

The next morning we decided to give not so magical hours another chance. Clearly we are just glutens for punishment because the bus was full before it even got to our stop and then when we finally made it to the park and went to ride Everest the line was all the way back into Asia by the Monkeys. We ended up waiting about 25 minutes.

And after one rip roaring ride “extra magic” hours were done and they officially became known as not so magic hours to our family.

Hungry from all our magical adventures we stopped somewhere and got something that looked like this.

No clue what this was or where we got it from, but my notes say it similar to the cat tail and it had good chocolate flavor in a light and crispy crust. So success I guess. :confused3

From there we braved some prehistoric creatures

And Jason didn’t get the photo memo for once

Before going on some Safari adventures.

Not as exciting as the Baobob tree, I know.

Casey used some of the money she’d brought along for the trip to get a henna tattoo and then promptly expressed grave concern that it would get wet on the wild ride that is Navi River.

Somehow the pastry we’d shared earlier in the day hadn’t staved off our hunger and we mobile ordered at one of the only counter services we frequent, Satuli Canteen.

Jason got the Slow-Roasted Sliced Grilled Beef Bowl with the Rice and Beans base and the Charred Onion Vinaigrette.

His beef was a perfect medium rare and he loved the onion vinaigrette, but the rice and beans wasn’t particularly flavorful.

Casey and I shared the chicken and beef combination with noodles and creamy herb dressing.

We ordered this with double meat for only $3 more which was great for sharing. We both loved the beef and nicely charred chicken but we were not fans of the noodles. They were very bland and had a ton of red peppers in it which wasn’t mentioned in the mobile order app. I loathe red peppers (not as much as mushrooms but close) and these were hard to eat around. But Beef…

It’s what for dinner lunch

To drink Jason got the Maori beer and can you believe I just stuck to water.

It was so dang hot all I wanted was some serious hydration.

Overall Satuli is definitely one of the better counter services on property (says the clear expert who has eaten at very few of them). Their food is inventive and certainly not indicative of normal theme park which our foodie family enjoys. I think their bases have gone downhill since they changed them (we liked the old hash, quinoa and salad mix way better) but its still a solid counter service meal. 3.5 forkys were given deducting a half a forky for the dastardly red peppers.

Did you really think I'd go with any other half? :P

It's even Casey forky approved.

The remainder of the afternoon we tried the new drawing thing out at Rafiki’s planet watch. We drew Iago which was really difficult and just frustrated Casey. I on the other hand being the amazing artist I am drew this fine rendition of what is clearly Iago and not a camel at all.

Given the heat we decided a spin through Kali River Rapids was needed and per Murphys law we got the wettest on the boat.

I’m not a fan of this ride as I think Disney just dialed it in on this one, but the cool down felt good and Casey had a blast ensuring others got as wet as us.

Needing more cool Casey got a Mickey bar before we headed out for the afternoon.

Sharing is Caring!

Up next, a new to us restaurant.

I think their bases have gone downhill since they changed them (we liked the old hash, quinoa and salad mix way better) but its still a solid counter service meal. 3.5 forkys were given deducting a half a forky for the dastardly red peppers.
I'm sorry to hear that the bases have gone downhill. We only ate there once but I really liked my bowl. I had fish and it was very good but that was during the passholder preview, which was a few years ago.

I hate red peppers. It seems like they are the one ingredient that is never listed and therefore hard to avoid.
The remainder of the afternoon we tried the new drawing thing out at Rafiki’s planet watch. We drew Iago which was really difficult and just frustrated Casey. I on the other hand being the amazing artist I am drew this fine rendition of what is clearly Iago and not a camel at all.
I am terrible at the drawing classes but still like to do them. :)
Given the heat we decided a spin through Kali River Rapids was needed and per Murphys law we got the wettest on the boat.
Did Casey's henna tattoo wash off?

My what a beefy tongue you have 😝

Thank you for sharing your artistic skills with us! I guess you did NOT train wth Bob Ross?

I had a kids meal at Sa'tuli last month and it was good but not a bowl and it stinks they aren't as good; that's what Steve had the one time he ate there and loved it but it was back in 2017.

I'm quite interested to see what the new to you restaurant is!

I'm sorry to hear that the bases have gone downhill. We only ate there once but I really liked my bowl. I had fish and it was very good but that was during the passholder preview, which was a few years ago.
Hey we sat next to you there :goodvibes

I agree, Saut'li canteen (always impossible for me to spell) is one of the better quick service options and double meat for $3 is a pretty good deal for Disney lol.

Every time i ride Kali i feel like they lost half the ride plans somewhere lol. It has a lot happening in the (long) queue and the ride doesn't deliver.

And after one rip roaring ride “extra magic” hours were done and they officially became known as not so magic hours to our family.
Too bad there were a huge bust for you guys. :(
No clue what this was or where we got it from, but my notes say it similar to the cat tail and it had good chocolate flavor in a light and crispy crust. So success I guess. :confused3
It looks good but next time you are in AK you definitely need to head to Creature Comforts for the yummy cinnamon roll.
Not as exciting as the Baobob tree, I know.
Awesome lion shots!
Somehow the pastry we’d shared earlier in the day hadn’t staved off our hunger and we mobile ordered at one of the only counter services we frequent, Satuli Canteen.
I am looking forward to eating there in three weeks!
Overall Satuli is definitely one of the better counter services on property (says the clear expert who has eaten at very few of them). Their food is inventive and certainly not indicative of normal theme park which our foodie family enjoys. I think their bases have gone downhill since they changed them (we liked the old hash, quinoa and salad mix way better) but its still a solid counter service meal. 3.5 forkys were given deducting a half a forky for the dastardly red peppers.
They don't have the hash anymore?? That was a bad decision on their part.
Up next, a new to us restaurant.
You mean there's somewhere at Disney where you haven't eaten?????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter