Zero Forky's Given - An August 2019 Dining Report - Completed 8/18

Before I start I sincerely hope everyone is well and heeding advice to hunker down. Special shout-out and thanks to @buzzrelly, @disneyAndi14, and @lvcourtneyy and all the other health care providers out there who are truly on the front lines of this.

We are doing well considering and Casey is officially enrolled in Daddy School. I had to work until Thursday but I was able to get in on the home school action yesterday. Though apparently I was more of a distraction than a help and was ruining their school mojo :scared1: Unfortunately I don't have that much telework I can do beyond some training so there should be lots of DIS time in my future. Stay safe!

Not So Magical Slippers
Because we are glutens for punishment and incapable of learning we were up early yet again for you guessed it….Another round of not so magical hours.

Were we dismayed when the bus was too full for us to get on? No!

When we finally got on the bus were we annoyed when a lady regaled us with her adventures in Puerto Rico and her disbelief that no one spoke English? No way!

Was I upset when Jason picked the exact wrong line at another cluster of security? Heck no!

Were we surprised when it was suddenly Halloween in the middle of August?

Well yes we were on that one

But were we alarmed to only find only half of Magic Kingdom open and insane lines? Or were we concerned that the only “extra magic” thing we did was meet Cinderella but no photos appeared in MDE so we have no proof? Or were we aggravated to be held at not one, but two different ropes when trying to get to Frontierland? Or when we got to Big Thunder Railroad were we frustrated that the line went back to Country Bears and never actually moved? OF COURSE NOT! These were super-special extra magical magic hours and magic abounded.

Moving along.

We did have a dance party with some pirates

Tried out snacks as head ware

Think the Queen would approve?

Twinning!

Braved the wildest ride in fantasyness (Casey went solo I might add)

Rubbed a lantern to make a genie appear

Wait wrong character

Ok that's right

Went in a Mine. In a Mine. In a Mine. In a Mine.

Transformed myself in space

All before we finally got what you are all here for and ate a gosh darn snack!

Cream cheese pretzel from the Lunching Pad

Check

People Mover

Check

Family tradition of Pretzels on the Pooper!!!

Check

Continued in next post....

Last edited:
Not So Magical Slippers Part Deux

Thank you for indulging me in our not so extra morning hours I promise there is real food ahead.

We grabbed a reservation for a whole 10 minutes in the future and went to one of our Magic Kingdom favorites: Slippers!!!

Or at least that is what my notes say because apparently two beers on an empty stomach in 100 degree heat brought us a rare lunch time version of kinda tipsy notes which I’ll highlight in quotes for those playing along at home.

We were clearly at Skippers Canteen where my husband felt compelled to do this.

Before we even had this.

Per my notes Jason got a "kingaloosh." Pretty sure that is supposed to be a Kungaloosh Spiced Excursion Ale but he is married to me so perhaps I meant King Lush. I being in an extra kinda mood got a “much ultra.” Its so fancy it was even imported from St. Louis.

Casey oddly skipped the booze but she did get her “smoot berry” on with a Schweizter Slush.

For lunch we did what we always do here and just shared a bunch of appetizers as our meal.

First up we have the “Casbahs Chan’s slightly like avocado and slight spice very cilantro beer thing”

Pretty sure there is no Casbahs rockin here and this was my description for the Orinoco Ida's Cachapas with Corn Pancakes, Beer-braised Pork, Roasted Corn, Fresno Pepper Salsa, and Avocado Cream.

Next up we have the Shiriki Noodle Salad with Noodles, Edamame Beans, Mushrooms, Green Mango, and Cucumber tossed with a Sweet Chili Sauce.

Before you fear for the safety of my tongue the mushrooms are large and easy to pick out. Also “Noodle salad food refreshing but size in half of before.”

We also ordered the S.E.A. Shumai with are a legendary (legend they say) blend of Pork, Shrimp, Edamame Beans, and Spices wrapped in Gyoza Skin then steamed.

This was also the point in the meal where I learned my husband had been harboring a secret from me. After eating this for years he said he didn’t like shumai. Since I never met a dumpling I didn’t like that was blasphemy. Or as recorded in my notes “Shumai didn’t know j didn’t like ***????? (insert my favorite 3 letter acronym here) slight spice and good.”

Working from the amazing advice of my “sitter wife” @Jenny Sanders we also ordered from the supper secret menu and got the Pao de Queijo which is cheese bread from deep in the amazon served with Chimichurri cream cheese.

Or Slippers could just go with my description “Bread thingy cream like stuff pizza crust chimp cheese sauce add good flavor would def get again .”

Skippers is always a solid meal for us at MK because it’s a nice break from the heat with good apps. While we saved $17.60 on this visit I’m only going to give it 3.5 forkys

Their prices keep going up while the food portions are going down. I’d also like it if they added more secret items to mix up the menu some more.

After lunch we had a fast pass for splash but it had been down all day. We headed that direction and completely lucked out that it opened right as we walked up so we could use the stand-by line.

From there we used our anytime FP for Big Thunder, making up for the morning cluster. Then we grabbed some popcorn and saw some Country bears.

Before we left Casey requested Carousel of Progress and a snack on Main Street.

Love that kid of mine!

Up next a special birthday dinner and a not so special child care center

Last edited:
Hope you can get there sometime this year. Right now we are planning on going over Halloween if your 14 days happen to coninside that may not be a bad thing :P
That would be amazing indeed!
How much do I have to pay you to tell Casey and Jason that?
You can pay me in alcoholic beverages if we ever manage to cross paths🥂🍯🍻🧉🍸🥃🍷. On second thought you may find it cheaper to give me cold hard cash😂

Even though your magical hours weren’t so magical you definitely managed to get a lot done. Love Carey’s Main Street snack photo and well Jason‘s poses always have me laughing🤣

Casey’s shirt is so appropriate for right now! Thanks for the positive vibes, it isn’t easy being a nurse right now! I hope we all stay safe and as my grandmother would always say this to shall pass!

I am finding the extra magic hour is starting to be a bust, it use to be so great in MK!
Love a pretzel on the pooper!
The apps look really good at Skippers, I am hungry right now!
I have found prices on the rise and portions getting smaller as well! I’m not impressed with this! :sad2:

Special shout-out and thanks to @buzzrelly, @disneyAndi14, and @lvcourtneyy and all the other health care providers out there who are truly on the front lines of this.

🥰 🥰 🥰 Thank you! It's a scary time for everyone right now. Stay safe and healthy!

We are doing well considering and Casey is officially enrolled in Daddy School. I had to work until Thursday but I was able to get in on the home school action yesterday. Though apparently I was more of a distraction than a help and was ruining their school mojo

:rotfl::rotfl:

When we finally got on the bus were we annoyed when a lady regaled us with her adventures in Puerto Rico and her disbelief that no one spoke English? No way!

You mean to tell me the entire world doesn't speak English?! I don't understand.

Was I upset when Jason picked the exact wrong line at another cluster of security? Heck no!

Ugh this is me all the time! No matter what line I pick it's a disaster.

Cream cheese pretzel from the Lunching Pad

:love::love:

Or at least that is what my notes say because apparently two beers on an empty stomach in 100 degree heat brought us a rare lunch time version of kinda tipsy notes which I’ll highlight in quotes for those playing along at home.

Oo I know this feeling well lol. For me it occurred in Fort Wilderness and resulted in me darting across campsites to pet dogs with Mike trying to keep me at the bus stop. :scared::rotfl:

After eating this for years he said he didn’t like shumai. Since I never met a dumpling I didn’t like that was blasphemy. Or as recorded in my notes “Shumai didn’t know j didn’t like ***????? (insert my favorite 3 letter acronym here) slight spice and good.”

:confused3:confused3 men are weird.

Or Slippers could just go with my description “Bread thingy cream like stuff pizza crust chimp cheese sauce add good flavor would def get again .”

I like your description much better. Stuffed pizza crust sold me.

Hey there!!! I was wondering how much longer you would be working. This is going to be intresting!

But were we alarmed to only find only half of Magic Kingdom open and insane lines? Or were we concerned that the only “extra magic” thing we did was meet Cinderella but no photos appeared in MDE so we have no proof? Or were we aggravated to be held at not one, but two different ropes when trying to get to Frontierland? Or when we got to Big Thunder Railroad were we frustrated that the line went back to Country Bears and never actually moved? OF COURSE NOT! These were super-special extra magical magic hours and
I don't think we even tried extra magic hours the last couple trips. But it sounds like they are becoming useless.

Braved the wildest ride in fantasyness (Casey went solo I might add)
This ride has become fun again because the girls can ride by themselves.

I don't know where Casey gets it from....

Casey oddly skipped the booze but she did get her “smoot berry” on with a Schweizter Slush.
Best "kid" drink on property... According to Gwen.

Also “Noodle salad food refreshing but size in half of before.”
Both you apps look good but they really are alot smaller than they used to be.

This was also the point in the meal where I learned my husband had been harboring a secret from me. After eating this for years he said he didn’t like shumai. Since I never met a dumpling I didn’t like that was blasphemy. Or as recorded in my notes “Shumai didn’t know j didn’t like ***????? (insert my favorite 3 letter acronym here) slight spice and good.”
And you are still married to him?!?! I wish they had a Dim Sum Restaurant in China in EPCOT.

I don't know what is in that chimp cheese sauce but man is it good!

IMG_0286.jpeg
Jason is demonstrating how Gwen would "like" to eat all of her food.

You can pay me in alcoholic beverages if we ever manage to cross paths🥂🍯🍻🧉🍸🥃🍷. On second thought you may find it cheaper to give me cold hard cash😂
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Pretty sure cash would work better for both of us! We went on a cruise one time and our bar tab was $1000. Needless to say we haven't been back on a cruise since then

Even though your magical hours weren’t so magical you definitely managed to get a lot done. Love Carey’s Main Street snack photo and well Jason‘s poses always have me laughing🤣
We did get a lot done despite the extra magic mojo working against us!

Casey’s shirt is so appropriate for right now! Thanks for the positive vibes, it isn’t easy being a nurse right now! I hope we all stay safe and as my grandmother would always say this to shall pass!
I hadn't even thought of that. I'll have to pull her shirt out of summer storage so she can wear it now. Hang in there!

The apps look really good at Skippers, I am hungry right now!
I have found prices on the rise and portions getting smaller as well! I’m not impressed with this! :sad2:
They do look good but I'm always hungry :P

You mean to tell me the entire world doesn't speak English?! I don't understand.
I know, can you believe it???? Clearly English is the worlds language and everyone on the planet should know it for my own personal convenience

Oo I know this feeling well lol. For me it occurred in Fort Wilderness and resulted in me darting across campsites to pet dogs with Mike trying to keep me at the bus stop. :scared::rotfl:
Birds of a beer feather :drinking1 I'm never hydrated enough in the Florida heat and then when I finally choose to hydrate beer may not always be the best choice

:confused3:confused3 men are weird.
Especially mine!!!!

I don't think we even tried extra magic hours the last couple trips. But it sounds like they are becoming useless.
Epcot worked out well for us but beyond that we are gonna stick to going to non-magic hour parks on those days. Definitely works out better for us

This ride has become fun again because the girls can ride by themselves.
I'm so with you. We HATE this ride but it was great to send Casey off on her own

I don't know where Casey gets it from....
Clearly me :P

And you are still married to him?!?! I wish they had a Dim Sum Restaurant in China in EPCOT.
A few more weeks together and that might be debatable. Can we start a petition for the dim sum? That sounds like a brilliant idea.

Jason is demonstrating how Gwen would "like" to eat all of her food.
Who needs utensils when you got a tongue :confused3

Before you fear for the safety of my tongue the mushrooms are large and easy to pick out.
Thank GOD!

Working from the amazing advice of my “sitter wife” @Jenny Sanders we also ordered from the supper secret menu and got the Pao de Queijo which is cheese bread from deep in the amazon served with Chimichurri cream cheese.
Wow, that sounds really yummy!!!

Teaching from home is really weird, and working with my 5th grader on his own work is legit my worst nightmare. Hope this all passes soon! Stay safe and healthy, friend!

These are so good and you're making me crave something I can't have for who only knows how long!!!!!! I'm literally drooling, very attractive. LOL!

I’d also like it if they added more secret items to mix up the menu some more
YES!!! I would like to see more sangria and cheese items...

After lunch we had a fast pass for splash but it had been down all day. We headed that direction and completely lucked out that it opened right as we walked up so we could use the stand-by line.
Umm, where's your shower cap fashion accessory?????

Before I start I sincerely hope everyone is well and heeding advice to hunker down. Special shout-out and thanks to @buzzrelly, @disneyAndi14, and @lvcourtneyy and all the other health care providers out there who are truly on the front lines of this.

Aw, thanks :love: This is really a scary time to be in healthcare.

Stay safe!

You too! :hug:

OF COURSE NOT! These were super-special extra magical magic hours and magic abounded.

I always went by the notion to avoid the parks with emh…sounds like I'll continue to live by that motto.

We did have a dance party with some pirates

:laughing:

Transformed myself in space

Oh, my! :rotfl2: Were you in front of Jason??

Family tradition of Pretzels on the Pooper!!!

Check

Perfection ::yes::

Not even sure what is happening here, but it makes me nervous 😳

Pretty sure there is no Casbahs rockin here and this was my description for the Orinoco Ida's Cachapas with Corn Pancakes, Beer-braised Pork, Roasted Corn, Fresno Pepper Salsa, and Avocado Cream.

But Sharee don't like it :sad2:

Skippers is always a solid meal for us at MK because it’s a nice break from the heat with good apps. While we saved $17.60 on this visit I’m only going to give it 3.5 forkys

Their prices keep going up while the food portions are going down. I’d also like it if they added more secret items to mix up the menu some more.

And I never want to go here because there is not a thing on that menu that looks good to me 🤢

Nice! :thumbsup2

Before we left Casey requested Carousel of Progress and a snack on Main Street.

Love the pic! What is that snack??

Extra Magic Hours aren't what they used to be.
Don't you hate when that happens :rotfl2:.
We have never done "Slippers" as I know reading the menu it's not DH's thing.
From there we used our anytime FP for Big Thunder, making up for the morning cluster. Then we grabbed some popcorn and saw some Country bears.
Disney popcorn is my favorite WDW snack no matter who the Sponsor is. Must be a leftover from my Senior Class trip 40+ years ago. I also have to do the Bears every trip.

Stay well during these strange times.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Pretty sure cash would work better for both of us! We went on a cruise one time and our bar tab was $1000. Needless to say we haven't been back on a cruise since then

This is why I’ve never been in a cruise- forget the whole “in the middle of shark infested waters and I might die thing “ much more “when they put all your drinks in one bill thing “😱😱😱. Way too scary!! :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

HEY!! You always eat the best looking food!! and I'm glad that this TR is still going on so I can get my Disney fix!!

We are currently on-hold for our June 13-20 trip this summer and I don't have the heart right now to cancel/push it so Im *fingers crossing* that the world will be back to a little version of it's previous self and we can still go!

If not, we're pondering pushing the trip to December, but we've never done December before and Im not going to lie - Im super scared about the crowds!

:scared::scared:

I'm surprised that MK was so very crowded during the extra magic hours. You would expect some benefit but it seems like the opposite is true. :(

I second all that! :goodvibes

These were super-special extra magical magic hours and magic abounded.
Sounds it.

but he is married to me so perhaps I meant King Lush.
:rotfl: I've yet to try Slipper's, but it's disappointing the prices and portions are moving in different directions (and not in the good way). Still, the food pictures and the amazing descriptions (tipsy and non-tipsy versions alike) look and sound pretty awesome :thumbsup2

Teaching from home is really weird, and working with my 5th grader on his own work is legit my worst nightmare. Hope this all passes soon! Stay safe and healthy, friend!
Yeah we are in the same boat. Our school system has done absolutely zero so far to start to teach them online so its all us. Jason is doing the heavy lift but I'm officially in charge of reading/writing.

These are so good and you're making me crave something I can't have for who only knows how long!!!!!! I'm literally drooling, very attractive. LOL!
Thanks again for letting us know about them. Definitely a great addition to the menu.

Umm, where's your shower cap fashion accessory?????
That moment can never be relived again. Long let it reign...

I always went by the notion to avoid the parks with emh…sounds like I'll continue to live by that motto.
Your notion could not be more correct. That is always what we did too but we figured with it being so hot in August it couldn't hurt to get our early and get more done. I was wrong. It hurt. I'll be back on your page whenever we get back again

Oh, my! :rotfl2: Were you in front of Jason??
No I didn't ride at all. I was having trouble with the heat this trip and rides like space were not helping my stomach

Not even sure what is happening here, but it makes me nervous 😳
Apparently he just saw a little nook and felt compelled to stand in it. You can only fathom the things he is doing at home now in his boredom. Never a dull moment with that man o mine

But Sharee don't like it :sad2:
I so knew you'd get me!!!!

Love the pic! What is that snack??
It was a chocolate chip cookie from the Main Street Bakery.

Yes, it is!!! I make Joe scrub up as soon as he gets home!!!!
♥♥♥ Lots of love to Joe too!

Extra Magic Hours aren't what they used to be.
We'd only ever done the nighttime ones before but that was years ago. This unquestionably was not that!

Don't you hate when that happens :rotfl2:.
We have never done "Slippers" as I know reading the menu it's not DH's thing.
Oh yes totally hate being a cheap date 🍻 We do enjoy Slippers but I think next trip we'll head back to LIberty Tree Tavern as I prefer their food

Disney popcorn is my favorite WDW snack no matter who the Sponsor is. Must be a leftover from my Senior Class trip 40+ years ago. I also have to do the Bears every trip.
Bears are always a must do for us too. Love all the nostalgic stuff. I'm not a huge popcorn eater but my crew loves it

Stay well during these strange times.
You too!

This is why I’ve never been in a cruise- forget the whole “in the middle of shark infested waters and I might die thing “ much more “when they put all your drinks in one bill thing “😱😱😱. Way too scary!! :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:
When drink bills are scarier then sharks you know its bad!!!

HEY!! You always eat the best looking food!! and I'm glad that this TR is still going on so I can get my Disney fix!!
Thanks so much! I'm glad I never finished it either because now it gives me something to do in these crazy times!

We are currently on-hold for our June 13-20 trip this summer and I don't have the heart right now to cancel/push it so Im *fingers crossing* that the world will be back to a little version of it's previous self and we can still go!
I'll be crossing everything for you too. I cannot imagine that this will still be going on at this scale in June but then again I never imagined that we'd be where we are either. We are notionally planning on Disneyland in August but I'm just gonna sit tight for a few more weeks/months before we even begin to plan

If not, we're pondering pushing the trip to December, but we've never done December before and Im not going to lie - Im super scared about the crowds!
We've never done December either, but hello Christmas decorations!!!! It will certainly be interesting to see what the crowds end up looking like. Whenever they open I'm guessing it will be at decreased capacity since they sent all the college kids home and are bound to loose some employees. Then again with the volatility in the economy and a potential recession we may be back to 2008/2009 crowds again.

I'm surprised that MK was so very crowded during the extra magic hours. You would expect some benefit but it seems like the opposite is true. :(
Yeah they were definitely too crowded for us. As I understand they used to just be for people staying onsite but they expanded it to "good neighbor" hotels in the Orlando area. They need to take it back to just being an onsite perk and I'm guessing it wouldn't be so bad. Oh yeah and open the whole park Magic Kingdom :earboy2:

Casey is 9???!!!! How did that happen? She is mere moments from being a teen. NOOOOOOO!!!!!! No growing up.
You're telling me. I have no idea how in the world it happenend and I was there. I'm with you on no growing up. I cannot even imagine what the teenage years are going to be like!!!

I've yet to try Slipper's, but it's disappointing the prices and portions are moving in different directions (and not in the good way). Still, the food pictures and the amazing descriptions (tipsy and non-tipsy versions alike) look and sound pretty awesome :thumbsup2
Its definitely worth a visit at least once. Its a good place to grab a lunch and have a couple of apps with tipsy drinks, but no where near the value it used to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter