Zero Forky's Given - An August 2019 Dining Report - Completed 8/18

What a great start to your day (button woman aside). Please drag the report out for as long as humanly possible so we can all get a little disney fix by reading. I did laugh at your tipsy notes regarding breakfast but hey it all worked out for you to get some decent grub :thumbsup2
Great photos :goodvibes

Thanks to everyone for indulging me with the last two real life updates. This post marks our last full Disney day and I gotta tell you thinking about ending this report makes me a little sad.

Same :sad1:

I'm almost done with my cruise TR and thinking of maybe doing a short recap of mine and Allie's little December trip.

And while I promise not to drag this report out for 166 days I am gonna slow roll the end in hopes of keeping my last glimmer of Disney magic alive.
___

Good with me ::yes::

So apparently, we’d had more tipsy time then I’d accounted for the previous night because my notes for this day say “drunk j insist on pre park breakfast.”

Sounds like a fun conversation :rotfl:

Needing to document this momentous occasion we stopped for a quick Halloween in August photo shoot.

I love it! And I really hope to see that in October!

We did however still have our photo shoot where my little gymnast showed off her skills for the castle.

Wow! 🙌

This is one of our go-to MK lunch spots, but breakfast here was new to us.

Us too! I never even think to have breakfast here.

This is with Crispy-fried Green Tomatoes topped with Poached Eggs, Lobster, and Hollandaise Sauce.

So, I wonder if they are using all the FGTs for breakfast now since @ariane37 says they are no longer available later??

And what do you know but The Plaza has something called the All-American Classic Breakfast Platter on their menu.

That looks just about perfect 😋

We had plans to meet up with Caroline later but Tracy was kind enough to wait for us after Peter so we could say hello. We ended up taking a spin on haunted mansion together.

Hey @buzzrelly I found the camera this time.

Clearly! :rotfl2:

I'm putting all these places on my list for our September trip because I trust your judgment. I did try making some ADRs yesterday (sorry) and gave up because it was a huge pain - how am I supposed to know which parks I'm eating in when I haven't made my FPs yet???

I recall we were the second in line but had to wait a solid 10 minutes while the lady in front of us needed to have a personal photo shoot holding 5 different buttons in every imaginable pose. I was not annoyed at all.
This would have annoyed me and if I were there, I would have let out some loud sighs...Just saying...

Clearly she gets all her talent from me.
Clearly. DUH! You should show her your monorail pole moves. LOL!!!!

Hey @buzzrelly I found the camera this time.
That's awesome Kari!!! LOL!

And of course documenting this momentous DIS occasion afterwards.
Super cute pic of you, Casey and Tracy!!! LOVE!

I'm hoping that WDW is mostly back to normal by then. We have a trip planned for the last week of October and I really hope it happens.
Me too!!!! Sounds like we will be there around the same time. We get in on the 30th. I was worried about Casey missing Halloween but she made it clear she'd pick Disney over Halloween any day of the week.

It is nice that they are now open for a real breakfast. The All American breakfast looks a bit like a Bounty platter, except with more food. :)
It was definitely like the Bounty platter and I think the quality was a bit better too. Or they just got grabbed bus to Pop and served me the same food. Either way I was a happy camper :earboy2:

I love how empty the park looks here...I have yet to be in for a PPO ADR...because I can never plan far ahead enough to get them....but this would be a real selling point!!
This was the first time we've ever had one and probably the last. The empty park was nice, but sleeping in on vacation is even nicer. I booked this one the night before so there are some last minute options out there.

What, wait?!? When did the plaza start serving breakfast? Both those meals sound delicious 😋, but the fried green tomato & lobster Benedict are right up my alley!
I'm not sure when they started serving it, or how I knew that, or why we booked a reservation before the park opened but apparently all of those things occurred in that order :D The fried green tomato was more my style too though I refuse to ever order the same thing as Jason so I let him have that while I took on the classics.

BUT, what I wanted to know is the meals that we use our TIW card on, can I charge them to the room? We usually charge all extras to the room and then I pay that off with Disney GCs I've bought at Target with my 5% discount.
We just pay with our magic bands, which I think just link back to the room, and have never had an issue. It works just like paying for any other meal or a snack in the parks. Only difference is you get 20% off the bill and they add 18% gratuity.

If what I understand about the TIW card, it's just a discount card and not a credit card or anything like that, right?? But I can't figure out if I can charge it to the room or if it has to go on a credit card?? I have a Disney Visa AND DVC but I think I like the TIW card since I get the 20% on all the places we would eat/drink at which would include our alcohols...did I mention that we do enjoy a beverage as well??!!
Yes its just a discount card. No different than showing your AP card or Disney Visa and getting a discount. But of course the main difference is the 20% off. We usually have an AP and Disney Visa but the 10% discount doesn't seem to go very far nor does it seem to be as universally accepted at table service restaurants. Its a rare occasion that we find a TS that doesn't take the card (only Shulas and Yak and Yeti come to mind). Plus as you well know 20% off alcohol is something you won't get with the others. We usually hit the breakeven mark the first week we use it and then its all gravy from there.

I love this! My cousin is all grown up now, but all the way from age 5 through college, she would take pictures of these everywhere she went!! She has pics from some awesome places, but my favorite place she did a handstand was on a Harry Potter tour at Oxford University.
What a great idea. We've done a handful in WDW but only on a whim. I should totally make this a thing for any place we visit now.

That's so great you got to see Caroline and Tracy, unplanned even! I love seeing my DIS friends together :) and I am not at all jealous, nope!
Just like I wasn't jealous of that VIP tour. We are all just supportive DIS friends who never wish we could all be together in our happy place :earboy2:

I’m thinking we might do the Plaza for breakfast next trip since there’s a good chance Crystal Palace won’t have characters. Now I really want a Mickey Waffle...
I'd definitely do The Plaza over Crystal Palace even with the characters. We aren't buffet fans and The Plaza is ts less than half the price and cooked to order.

Please feel free... we all need every tiny speck of pixie dust to hold us over right now :sad:
Thanks for the permission :D This place is my respite and I come on every day hoping for new content but there just isn't much out there. Speak of which did you ever write an August report :confused3

This is among my top favorite ride photos of all time:rotfl::thumbsup2
Me too!!!! Clearly we are just terrified

It was SO wonderful to meet you and your family, Kari! I remember toasting your birthday on an August trip of mine YEARS ago... and finally we got to meet in person - long overdue. Hoping for another opportunity someday soon! :hug:
YOU TOO!!!!!! So wish we could have spent more time together. I so remember your August trip and someone obsessed with her birthday reminding you constantly :D One of these days our trips will really overlap, and not just for one day, and maybe even our Jason's can meet ❤

I'm almost done with my cruise TR and thinking of maybe doing a short recap of mine and Allie's little December trip.
YES. PLEASE. AND. THANK. YOU. I need all the Disney I can get in my life and people speculating on when the parks will open does not count!

Sounds like a fun conversation :rotfl:
Pretty much how our best conversations go. Exhibit A. Tipsy night of drinking. Wanna get married? Sure. Went to Vegas 3 weeks later. Exhibit B. Tipsy night of drinking. Wanna get a dog? Sure. Next day got one that was over a 100 pounds. Exhibit C. Casey is conceived:earboy2: Ok made that last one up because I couldn't help myself :drinking1

So, I wonder if they are using all the FGTs for breakfast now since @ariane37 says they are no longer available later??
Ah I think you are on to something. Though I did a double take for a minute because I saw FGT and I thought Fairy Godmother in Training (think that is what they call the ladies that work in whatever the Castle makeover thing is called). I couldn't figure out for the life of my why they were serving breakfast :D

I'm putting all these places on my list for our September trip because I trust your judgment. I did try making some ADRs yesterday (sorry) and gave up because it was a huge pain - how am I supposed to know which parks I'm eating in when I haven't made my FPs yet???
Hope whenever you make reservations you get some great meals. I'm in the same boat with FPs and ADRs. I prefer to be pretty lax schedule wise and both just force you to way over plan and think. That said for the ADRs I made for our November trip I did just make dinner reservations, and not lunch, so that at least keeps our days fairly free.

This would have annoyed me and if I were there, I would have let out some loud sighs...Just saying...
I'm more of a glare at you and you know what I'm thinking kinda a girl but this one was totally in her own world.

Clearly. DUH! You should show her your monorail pole moves. LOL!!!!
Oh yeah. That would impress her 💈

Super cute pic of you, Casey and Tracy!!! LOVE!
Thanks Jenny. It was so nice to finally meet Tracy in person.

So there you have it. Thank you for listening to my confession.
View attachment 492593
Now I'm off to douse myself in holy water and exercise these planning demons.
Yeah for you! :cheer2: Being a Midwest gal, I had to get up at 5am, ⏰ but there I was, barely coherent. I ended up rearranging which parks we would be visiting based on what days I got my reservations, so that essentially messed up every other "plan" I made. How do these people do it with spread sheets and laminated note cards?

I am happy you were able to get the reservations you wanted! And I had the same fear that if I did not advance book dining, our group of 9 would never get in a restaurant at a child friendly time! And I don't want to spend my much needed vacation cooking dinner! Loving your report! :wave2:

We just pay with our magic bands, which I think just link back to the room, and have never had an issue. It works just like paying for any other meal or a snack in the parks. Only difference is you get 20% off the bill and they add 18% gratuity.

Yes its just a discount card. No different than showing your AP card or Disney Visa and getting a discount. But of course the main difference is the 20% off. We usually have an AP and Disney Visa but the 10% discount doesn't seem to go very far nor does it seem to be as universally accepted at table service restaurants. Its a rare occasion that we find a TS that doesn't take the card (only Shulas and Yak and Yeti come to mind). Plus as you well know 20% off alcohol is something you won't get with the others. We usually hit the breakeven mark the first week we use it and then its all gravy from there.

As I'm sure you've done, since you're now a self-proclaimed Disney ADR planner, I whipped out my excel spreadsheets and got to work planning on what I think DH and I will eat for our upcoming trip in August and the TiW card was only a $75 savings, which was over and above taking out the $150 up front cost....BUT that didnt include any drinks or snacks that we would buy and honestly, it still seems to work out best for us to get the DxDP since that includes adult beverages and 2 snacks per person per day and we do love our Signature dinners!

THANKS for the feedback!!

Yeah for you! :cheer2: Being a Midwest gal, I had to get up at 5am, ⏰ but there I was, barely coherent. I ended up rearranging which parks we would be visiting based on what days I got my reservations, so that essentially messed up every other "plan" I made. How do these people do it with spread sheets and laminated note cards?
I have absolutely no idea. I ended up only making dinner reservations so we didn't have to worry about parks but the closer it gets look out world as I enter the realm of constantly rearranging things :D

I am happy you were able to get the reservations you wanted! And I had the same fear that if I did not advance book dining, our group of 9 would never get in a restaurant at a child friendly time! And I don't want to spend my much needed vacation cooking dinner! Loving your report! :wave2:
Wow 9!!!! Definitely a great call on making reservations. I cannot fathom cooking for 9 period let alone during vacation.

I whipped out my excel spreadsheets and got to work planning on what I think DH and I will eat for our upcoming trip in August
Wow, spreadsheets huh? How quickly you've joined the dark side. Odd aside I HATE spreadsheets but unfortunately have a job that doesn't let me avoid them. My team team has taken to showing me spreadsheets but calling them tables so I don't send them away as soon as they walk into my office :earboy2:

BUT that didnt include any drinks or snacks that we would buy and honestly, it still seems to work out best for us to get the DxDP since that includes adult beverages and 2 snacks per person per day and we do love our Signature dinners!
We've never really done the dining plan but only because we usually share an appetizer/dessert and only get our own entrees. I'm sure if I did the math it would probably work out for Jason and I to do it, but no chance it would be worth it for the child who eats like a bird. And thankfully she is content to share with me so I eat less and its economical too. At least as economical as Disney math can be.

Our check out day is Oct 30th, so once again, it is a near miss. We wanted to be home for Halloween.
Casey said she was ok missing Halloween. Then when I told her the other day she was upset she'd miss trick or treating. Looks like we may be making some changes....

I guess if I want my fried green tomatoes at the Plaza I'm going to have to scrape that yucky Mr. Benedict Lobster off of them :idea: Glad breakfast was a plus, not lots of options in MK although usually we grab that Gaston guys cinnamon roll. May try it with the boys for something different.

Go right ahead and drag this baby out! I know what you mean about finding new content when you hop on these days and it sucks. I love all the reports I'm reading but can't wait for the day there are too many new reports to choose from!

The Plaza has always been a reliable choice for me. Nothing outstanding or fancy but my family has always been satisfied with it. I would like to try the breakfast sometime.

Just tell her she can go trick or treating in Mitsukoshi I’m sure she’d love getting her Japanese candy fix!
Perfect!!!!!! She would be in seventh heaven

I guess if I want my fried green tomatoes at the Plaza I'm going to have to scrape that yucky Mr. Benedict Lobster off of them :idea: Glad breakfast was a plus, not lots of options in MK although usually we grab that Gaston guys cinnamon roll. May try it with the boys for something different.
Yeah the MK options on the whole are really not good for breakfast, or most meals these days. I think you should try it out though Just order the tomatoes with a side of bacon but sans lobster and hollandaise and see if they can put it on some bread and add some tomato and lettuce and bbq sauce and cheese while they are at it. Disney is so accommodating I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

Go right ahead and drag this baby out! I know what you mean about finding new content when you hop on these days and it sucks. I love all the reports I'm reading but can't wait for the day there are too many new reports to choose from!
I know. I don't read that many trip reports but live off the restaurant boards. I'm only getting on there like once a week and still there are only like 10 new posts and all about what to eat on that dang dining plan :mad:

The Plaza has always been a reliable choice for me. Nothing outstanding or fancy but my family has always been satisfied with it. I would like to try the breakfast sometime.
Same for us. Skippers is by far our favorite MK restaurant, but The Plaza is always a solid and reliable option

Your Plaza breakfast is giving me ideas about our next trip. As a waffle lover I have always found the mini-Mickey waffles so-so. Jason got a nice portion of lobster but he should have gotten a side of toast or English Muffin.
Love the picture of your daughter in the stockade. Brought back some good memories. As children if there was a stockade at the place we visited Dad got a picture of DSis in it. and I .

Jason got a nice portion of lobster but he should have gotten a side of toast or English Muffin.
If only we had thought of that. Using the fried green tomato as the base was interesting but definitely not easy to eat. Some toast or an actual english muffin would definitely have done the trick.

Love the picture of your daughter in the stockade. Brought back some good memories. As children if there was a stockade at the place we visited Dad got a picture of DSis in it. and I .
I think there is something oddly instinctual when a kid sees a stockade to put their head it in. We visited colonial williamsburg a lot growing up and my Dad still has way too many pictures of my brother and I in it.

This place is my respite and I come on every day hoping for new content but there just isn't much out there. Speak of which did you ever write an August report :confused3
Me, too :guilty: Ugh, I didn't. :sad2: I'd planned to, but then had this foolish idea of taking a new job which sucked the life out of my free time last fall :faint: I really need to get my priorities straight...

Me too!!!! Clearly we are just terrified
Completely terrified! :laughing:

YOU TOO!!!!!! So wish we could have spent more time together. I so remember your August trip and someone obsessed with her birthday reminding you constantly :D One of these days our trips will really overlap, and not just for one day, and maybe even our Jason's can meet ❤
Yes! Me, too. One of these days we'll have a good amount of overlap. And yes! Wouldn't it be a hoot for our Jason's to meet?! ;):thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!