Zip line evacuations

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Is this the area in Epcot that if you were to get stranded on the Skyliner you would have to zip line down?Screenshot_20191125-114747_Disney World.jpg

Yes it is. I wonder what the weight restrictions in the zip line are? We have some heavier people in our friends and family circle that are concerned about it breaking should they need to evacuate, plus one person with a fear of falling who is also concerned. I think they would rather spend the night in the gondola than zip line . . .

Yes it is. I wonder what the weight restrictions in the zip line are? We have some heavier people in our friends and family circle that are concerned about it breaking should they need to evacuate, plus one person with a fear of falling who is also concerned. I think they would rather spend the night in the gondola than zip line . . .
I really think the odds are low of this happening. But I too think of those who would not physically be able to do such and the elderly.

I don't think it's actually a zip line, as you would do at an adventure park. It's probably rappelling down in a harness bound to a rescuer who would control the descent, or perhaps being lowered down in a harness fixed to a rope over a pulley, attached to a guide line and controlled by someone on the ground.

A couple of videos. The first shows evacuation of a disabled skier.

Last edited:
I had read somewhere that evacuation over Hourglass Lake would involve the use of a special rescue boat with a cherry picker fitting able to raise up to the gondola and bring people down that way. I assumed that all rescues over water would be the same.

I had read somewhere that evacuation over Hourglass Lake would involve the use of a special rescue boat with a cherry picker fitting able to raise up to the gondola and bring people down that way. I assumed that all rescues over water would be the same.
No cherry picker required. The gondolas glide very low over the lake, probably 10-15'. It's just a boat with a raised platform.

The cable over the canal at IG is much higher, so a boat could not reach the cabins. You can't put a cherry picker on a small boat, because it would act like a lever and tip the boat.

I'm not too concerned. I would like to see the views. I'm trusting of these. I do think they will be a great mode of transport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter