Zucchini/marrow recipes?

MazdaUK

<font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><
My neighbour gave me two huge marrows (they were courgettes, but he didn't go to the allotment for 2 days as it wa raining and they greeeeew!) I've got a recipe for roasting which is OK, but only DH really likes them. Any good preserve/freezable recipes?

My neighbour gave me two huge marrows (they were courgettes, but he didn't go to the allotment for 2 days as it wa raining and they greeeeew!) I've got a recipe for roasting which is OK, but only DH really likes them. Any good preserve/freezable recipes?

Now I had to look this up...we call them zucchini here.

Whenever I get any that have gone too long I like to stuff them. Halve them lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, leaving a bit of a boarder. Then I fry up some lean ground beef with some diced onion and minced garlic, season with salt & pepper and mix in with the diced up flesh (you can also add this to the meat to cook first). Add in a bit of Parmesan cheese (to taste) and maybe some basil or oregano and stuff the "boat". Place in a pan that has been sprayed or lightly oiled and top with a bit of pasta sauce and bake at 350 degrees (medium heat) until tender. You can also top with mozzarella if you like before baking.

I love stewed zucchini and though I usually use young ones you can use a larger one, just cut the pieces up smaller.

I usually slice into 1/4 inch thick rounds (or half rounds if larger) and saute in some olive oil with thinly sliced onion until they begin to soften. season with salt, pepper & garlic and add an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce (not pasta sauce) or more, depending on how much zucchini you have, cover can cook over medium -low heat until soft. This is good as as side dish or as a pasta topper.

I forgot you call them zucchini :blush: I like the stuffed idea - might do that tomorow night. I'm going to roast wiht rosemary and garlic tonight, toss with parmesan and see if the family eat it as a side - if they do I'll do the stuffed version:goodvibes

When ours grew too large I would usually shred them & make "bread". But that's a misnomer...it's very sweet like a cake. You can also shred it, put it in a colander to drain off excess liquid & the freeze portions for more "bread" at a later date.

We also used to cut round slices & layer with fresh, sliced tomatoes, onion in a non-stick or greased casserole then add mozzarella & a few seasoned bread crumbs on top. My kids always thought it tasted like "pizza"...can you tell we didn't have real pizza too often? :rotfl: I'd mainly do this in individual Corning Ware dishes because not everyone liked onions...it was just easier that way. ;)

We call those "baseball bats" here in the US :rotfl:. If they're not too big you can try Zuccannoes from the Mossewood Cookbook (http://inseasonrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/08/zucannoes-stuffed-zucchini-moosewood.html) or Moosewood's Zucchini Feta Pancakes if they are bigger (http://www.greensgrow.org/recipes/4.64.html).

I also second piratesmate's idea. I take summer veggies and cut them in rounds and layer then in a baking dish, cover 'em with some olive oil & herbs and then some Parmesan cheese. Bake until brown.

Thanks! I've got a recipe for a bread, I'll have to try that:thumbsup2

I made a great chocolate zucchini muffin from a recipe I found online. Let me see if I can find it.

Thanks:thumbsup2 Next time they come my way I'll give this a try:goodvibes

We have a lot of zucchini in our garden this year. We mostly slice them and grill them, along with summer squash. Paint the slices with olive oil and add a little Lawry's seasoning salt and grill on both sides for a few minutes. So good!

And today I'm going to shred some and make zucchini/pineapple bread.

I also have a recipe for zucchini brownies that I want to try.

I found both of those recipes at allrecipes.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter