“Just Me and You” Mother/Daughter Eastern 9/30

Day 7 Castaway Cay

We slept in a little (if you can call 7-ish sleeping in) as we knew we wouldn't be allowed off the ship until after 9:00. Our server the night before told us that Topsiders would be really busy, so we decided to just have some cereal and fruit in the room. What a view Castaway Cay was from the porthole. Once he turned the ship around and backed in, I couldn't stop staring. I found my camera and took a picture of it through the porthole. When we left, I couldn't find my camera case. I just had it! We went up top to take pictures and headed down to be one of the first in line to get off. Wouldn’t you know at the last minute, “Mom, I have to go potty”. Back to the room, then back down to the much longer line, thank you.

What was I thinking? I wanted to get my pic taken with Captain Jack in front of the Flying Dutchman! Oh well, as it turned out we didn't see a character all day until we were getting back on the ship and Lilo was getting off. We stayed at the beach the entire day.

We headed to the family beach. :beach: Baylee was so excited because this was what she had been waiting for all week. We grabbed a spot under an umbrella and were in the water in no time. It was clear and warm. I couldn't believe how beautiful and blue it was. We were right in front of the Jungle Jim thingy there and it was 9 feet deep out there. Baylee isn't really a strong swimmer, so I made her wear a life vest. Ran into squirrelgirl's family and the girls played in the water. We had an 11:00 stingray feeding, as did squirrelgirl. I finally ran into Disneydmbnut and her DD. Baylee had talked to her DD a few times online and FINALLY they met up at the beach.

We went to feed the stingrays and I thought it was a blast. She was a little mad at me because I made her wear at t-shirt over her suit. I was freaking out that she would get burnt. I was already killing her, as I must've put three coats of sunscreen on her head already that day! They give a little schmeel at the beginning and Baylee surprised me by getting right up there and feeding them as the stingrays as they swam at our feet. Truly amazing. Then it was time just to snorkel among the stingrays and the water got a little deeper and she totally freaked out. She didn't want them down by her feet anymore! But you just fed them with all of them swimming at your feet! UGH! So I brought her out to shore as I "snorkeled" in the shallow water taking pictures of the stingrays with my trusty throw-away underwater camera. :sunny:

Time was up with the stingrays and we headed in. On our way, we stopped at Cookie's BBQ. I hadn't heard good things about it, but I'm glad we got there when we did because boy did that line get long fast! I thought the food was good. I had BBQ ribs and a big cheeseburger. I thought the potato salad was fantastic. Didn't like the corn on the cob, but I'm a big butter eater and couldn't find any Chocolate chip cookies (geez, how many did we have that week :blush: ?) were outstanding as usual, if not a little melted. We ate and went back to the beach. I sat with squirrelgirl's family and I just can't say enough what nice people they were. The kids played in the water and buried my feet. We noticed that the water wasn't as deep out by the jungle jim thingy (what IS that thing called? :rolleyes1 ) and it was closed - maybe because it was so shallow? I started feeling the heat and was getting a headache :headache: so we decided to head back to the ship It was about 2:30-3-ish. There's only so much of hot sun and sand I can take in a day. We stopped at She Sells Sea Shells and bought a couple t-shirts for us and a couple souvenirs for some back home.

Got back on the ship and ran into Nova and gave her her tip and headed to the showers for both of us with all the sand in our hair (and other parts not mentioning :lmao: ). I really didn't feel like going to dinner and if it wasn't for the fact it was the last night and kimmcbee's oldest DS was celebrating his birthday, we would've gone up to the buffet. But we got dressed (not very dressy, either) and went up to AGAIN Parrot Cay. At this point in the cruise, I was sick of this restaurant. Baylee was a little cranky, probably because she was so tired and a day outside in the sun did her in. I don't remember what I had for dinner, either, that night. Gave Densak and Paz their tips and couldn't find the AWOL head server still, so he missed getting a tip from us because he never did show up. Anyway, when we were done eating I was waiting for my dessert and low and behold I look over and Baylee fell asleep right at the table. They brought out birthday cake for kimmcbee's DS and she woke up. Baylee was getting sad because she knew it was the last time she would see Paz and they both got emotional. :sad: She made me cry, for heaven's sake! She gave Baylee her e-mail address and told her she would keep her in her heart. :lovestruc . Actually, she wrote it down as she had lost her voice the night before. I didn't feel like having any more dessert so we left.

We were planning on going to the final show, and on our way stopped in Shutter's. Well, I had good intentions of sticking to my guns and only buying the ONE picture/frame that I bought. I saw the semi-formal of Baylee and HAD to have it. Grabbed the Captain Jack one, another of us on her birthday at Animator's, the Mickey character breakfast and brought them up to the counter and told them I had already bought an 8 x 10 in the frame, what kind of deal would they give me? He told me to pick out another 5 x 7 and he would charge me the $84.95 and give me a $19.99 refund on the other picture. I could live with that. My advice to others - don't go to Shutters on the last night! There were people sitting out in the hall looking at their pictures it was so crowded! :crowded:

We went to the show and it was just so - so. Gary DeLena and the magic guy were there and they were great. At the end of the show, the power went out on that side of the ship for some reason and they couldn't finish the show as they wanted to. But they did all come back out and say their goodbyes! After the show we headed to Mickey's Mates for a couple more souvenirs. Another place to avoid Friday night! Baylee was still a little upset and tired so we went back to the room to finish packing and snuggle in for the last night on OUR ship.

Our towel animal was a cobra, fitting for our moods it seemed. I finished packing and Baylee cried and cried. :sad: My heart was bleeding for her and if I could've booked onboard, I would've. But financially it is not possible for me right now. I did promise her; however, we would be doing this again hopefully in 2008. That cheered her up a bit. She fell asleep and I took a shower. I had all the bags out in the hallway making sure to leave clean clothes for in the morning :rolleyes1 . It was after 11 and there was a knock on my door. It was Nova with our pillowcases! I had forgotten all about them! My suitcases were outside already, so I had to shove it in my carryon for now. I forgot this part. I think my camera got sand in it at Castaway Cay. Remember I couldn't find my camera case? Well, I threw my camera into my beach bag and now it doesn't work. Hasn't since we left Castaway Cay. Thanks, kimmcbee for taking pics at dinner of the sleeping beauty for me

I settled in to bed and thought about the pager for the kids clubs. I decided I would just leave it in the room for them to pick up. Well at about 11:30 the pager went off. :scared1: Scared the daylights out of me! I checked it and it was a reminder to turn in your beeper before 12:00. Well, I was in my jammies, my kid was sleeping and wouldn't you know I packed my KTTW cards. DUH :crazy: I called the lab and she was very nice and offered to come and pick it up because they would charge me $150 if it wasn't brought back!! What is that policy? Whey can't we just leave it in the room???!! Anyhoo, she came down and picked it up. Very nice of her to do that!

I had a hard time sleeping that night I think because I kept thinking of our magical time we had. I eventually did fall asleep, but was awake off and on watching that *(&^% Report From the Bridge channel :lmao:

Up Next, debarkation, the journey home and final thoughts

Friday's pictures:

Feeding the stingrays
DisneyVacation2011.jpg

Squirrelgirl's DD and Baylee
DisneyVacation2016.jpg

Snoozin' at the table
disneycruise2006793.jpg

Only when I'm three sheets and its 2 am do I eat that late, and then its REAL food,
like EMBERS (are they still out in Minnesnowda) or White Castle. I remember doing a Castle Run years ago. At last count, there were 11 in the Twin Cities Metro area, the contest was to eat 10 at each location. I made it through all 11. The first to blow chunks lost. By the way there was a three beer minimum between each stop and it was either Schmidt or Schells from New Ulm. Ahhh those were the days.

Makes for a fun night but not so much the next morning.

GD

Sheila,

LOVE the trip report! :thumbsup2 It's absolutely awesome!

We (DH, DD5 & me) leave for the Eastern at the end of November, so this makes me more anxious! I'm hoping my DD has as magical a cruise as your DD! (And her braids came our great!)

Can't wait to read the rest!

Cheri

P.S. Also loved the bit about your Royal Flush that paid for the cruise. :cool1:

I see you posted more while I was typing my first reply!! I'll read it bright & early in the a.m.!! :thumbsup2

Can't wait!

Debarkation, the journey home and my final thoughts
We were up in the morning and headed to Parrot Cay for breakfast at 6:45. Both of us still in a mood. :guilty: There was a lady in line wondering why there was a line, as it was late seating and it should've already been open. I said, uh, no, this is early seating. She argued with me about it and I started panicking thinking we missed breakfast because we were early seating! When they opened the doors Baylee went up to one of the servers and asked and he said yes, this is early seating. I don't know what happened to her as we left. I wanted to do an I TOLD YOU SO, but didn't see her after that. ;)

Again, Baylee and Paz were emotional. Breakfast was a little mumbo-jumbo'd as Densak had to get to immigration because he was leaving as well. There were a couple other servers who screwed all of our meals up, but we figured it out and it was pretty painless. Also, as I mentioned, I packed our KTTW cards :blush: and kimmcbee's DH informed me we would need them to get off the ship! Where was I when they mentioned this? I was the first one to mumble under my breath when someone didn't have it in line in port to get back on the ship! I ran to guest services to get a couple more and she assured me I wasn't the only one! Back to breakfast, we finished eating and said our goodbyes to kimmcbee and her family and Paz and headed out the door. We had a 2:30 flight so we weren't in a hurry at all. Plus, I had a layover in Chicago for two hours and we weren't due in to Minneapolis until 7:30. It was going to be a long day!

We got out into the lobby and immediately it was chaos. Someone said they were letting off at 7:30, some said 7:45. It was going on 8 I think when they finally let us off. We were in line and squirrelgirl's DD came over to say goodbye and Baylee just gushed :sad: She was so sad to leave her new friend! We got out into Customs and found our luggage and not a porter to be found. Saw squirrelgirl's family and it came again. Baylee walked through customs crying. It was so sad. I was on a mission to find a porter, though. FINALLY! Here he comes and he's a Viking fan! The only Minnesotan we met on the trip was the porter on our way out :lmao:

The line was so long for customs, but he told me to "bud" in front of these people in line. I was too chicken, so he did it for us. This part was very slick. He brought our suitcases to the bus, got us on the bus and we were on our way. We were at the airport by 9:00am. It was a piece of cake! Our busdriver was very entertaining, too. But now the hard part. Waiting at the airport for five hours. UGH! :(

We got in line at Air Tran and got up to check in by 9:15. I told her when our flight was and she frowned at me. I said, YES, I KNOW! She said how would you like the 10:00am non-stop flight? I said, I LOVE YOU can we make it through security? She said YES, If you hurry! I AM SO THERE! Of course, "Mom, I have to go potty". We threw our bags at the guy, ran to the bathroom and literally ran through the terminal. Security was painless and we ran again. We made it with 10 minutes to spare :woohoo: I hurried and called my "pick up man" and he said he'd meet us there! So more pixie dust pixiedust: at the end of the trip for us.

Once on the plane, it was almost empty so Baylee curled up kitty-corner from me and took a nice long nap. There was a guy up in 1st class with some type of medical emergency and they asked if anyone onboard was trained medically. UGH! I thought all this way and we're gonna have to land and hour and a half into the flight! But, the powers that be knew we were on that flight and sent pixie dust his way and he was fine the rest of the way. However, I did have a little 2 year old behind me who kept kicking my seat which is unfortunate. When Baylee woke up she kept turning around giving the evil eye to this poor little girl. It was too funny. We also brought our last chocolate chip cookie so she had it at snack time on the plane.

We landed at 12:30 to a beautiful fall weekend in Minnesota. Of course, Baylee has been doing nothing but talk about the trip. She JUST took her braids out last night and is still missing her new friends. My camera STILL doesn't work, will have to take it in.

My final thoughts and would/wouldn't do again:

1) Don't bring a beach towel. Never used the one we brought as there were so many around by the pool. Wasted space.
2) Didn't use the over the door shoe holder. I suppose with just 2 people, we didn't get cluttered at all.
3) Didn't use my video camera. I was too busy taking still shots. Don't know if I would bring it next time.
4) Brought WAY too many clothes that we didn't wear. Will plan better next time! Spent days in our suits in shorts, no need for other clothes during the day. What was I thinking?
5) May do on our own stuff in ports next time if I get up enough nerve. St. Martin was okay, but didn't like Coral World. Loved the stingrays at Castaway Cay though.
6) Will spend a couple extra days at the beginning of the trip for theme parks and one extra day at the end just to relax and unwind. Saturday just seemed so rushed.
7) Loved that we brought our own bottled water, as at the end of the trip there were some getting sick.
8) Even though they came through for me at the end, would not fly Air Tran again. Changing flights around at the last minute really ticked me off. Will fly Sun Country next time and wait for airfare to go down!
9) I was kinda disappointed in the kids club offerings, just MHO. DD didn't like them and maybe its just me and if she would've went, what would I have done the whole time? Who knows what next time will bring? She will be a couple years older.
10) Loved the Perfect Gift - thanks, Shirley, for making Baylee's journey start off on the right foot!
11) Will eat maybe another night at Topsiders - long dinners really too long!
12) Will try to make Palo brunch as I've heard nothing but fantastic things about it. Sorry I missed it this time around.

Well, that's it folks. Thanks for letting me share our magical journey. I have a DVD slideshow if someone can let me know how I share it with you guys, that would be great. Photobucket doesn't seem to want to upload my .mpg file for some reason!

See ya real soon! :wave:

DisneyCruiseVacation046.jpg

Grumpydude - for us it was FLAMEBURGER out in Columbia Heights or any Denny's would do. Never did the White Castles but yes, we still have a couple two three here. Not as many as back then. Brings back memories, though :lmao:

pgfour - I hope you and your family do have a magical vacation. I know a few people didn't have a good time on this trip and am sorry they didn't. I guess I don't sweat the small stuff and we just went with the flow, so to speak. Hoping you do a trip report too! Your vacation is what you make of it!

Like I said before, I don't really have anything to compare it to so I guess I am an easy pleaser. What was important was that Baylee had a great time and that's what mattered the most to me. Did I have a great time, too? You bet, and like I said in my report, I wouldn't have changed anything in the world.

Thanks for sharing this report with us. I can't wait to share this special experience with my DD in a few months!

Thanks for sharing your great trip! We've sailed the Wonder twice and loved it! Looking to 2008 for a 7-day on the Magic. Can't wait for the sail dates to come out!!!

Well now its really over :guilty: . But thanks a million for taking the time to relive your fantastic trip with us!!!!! Loved every minute of it. Now be sure to print the whole thing out and put in your photo album. Thanks again!!!!!

Well i'm sad for the both of you now that this wonderfuld trip is over .
It's so nice that from reading your trip report that your daughter seems to have appreciate so much this trip that she would even cry the last night .
In my opinion too many children don't quite appreciate the either nice cruise or wdw their parent ( s ) offers them but your little girl really did :banana:
What a beautyfuld daughter you have and those eyes she'll for sure break guy's heart later in life , she look really nice with the hair braids .
It goes way too fast doesn't it , I really wish for you two another mother daughter trip in the near future as I know that it will be memories forever :goodvibes
Your trip report was quite nice too read thanks :blush:

Thanks for such a great TR! I still can't believe I never ran into you on the ship since I "knew" you from the boards - we were even on the same stingray excursion (11am) and it never occurred to me to look around - oh well! We also had the same servers although at different seatings!

I have to agree with you about the kids' clubs - my children were not impressed and only went twice each.

I am so glad Baylee had such a great birthday vacation - it is so neat when your children really appreciate the things we do for them!

Kathie

DISNEYMOMTO1 said:
pgfour - I hope you and your family do have a magical vacation. I know a few people didn't have a good time on this trip and am sorry they didn't. I guess I don't sweat the small stuff and we just went with the flow, so to speak. Hoping you do a trip report too! Your vacation is what you make of it!

Like I said before, I don't really have anything to compare it to so I guess I am an easy pleaser. What was important was that Baylee had a great time and that's what mattered the most to me. Did I have a great time, too? You bet, and like I said in my report, I wouldn't have changed anything in the world.

Thanks for the good wishes! We also try to go into vacations with realistic expectaions -- there will be lines and possible delays, there will be the occasional rude person, and a disappointment or two. But, we also know we're in a new place seeing new things and just having the chance to be together as a family -- THAT is magical!!!! :thumbsup2 (Sorry to sound like a sap!)

As other posters have mentioned, it was also great to hear that your daughter was so appreciative of the trip! Makes everything worthwhile!! :goodvibes

Thanks again for sharing your experience! :thumbsup2

Cheri

im so glad you guys had such a "magic"ical time were going on the western 12/2 my son 11th bday will be on the ship i hope he has as much of a awesome bday as bayee did loved your trip report :thumbsup2

Remember seeing your birthday stuff on your door that we passed everyday. We were in 2598 had the big family picture and Disney Charactors on the door. Recognized you and your DD right away from the pics you posted. So glad you had a great cruise.

jokesten - we passed your door several times as well - almost left a note, but never had anything on me! Great door magnets!

Did you notice that the kids were taking the Welcome Home Magnets from all the doors, one night I found 10 of them on a door down the hall, the next day they got them again and I couldn't find them. Lucky I stashed the other one I had. :cool1:

Hi

Your trip sounds so exciting I can't wait to hear more. I am also a single parent and looking forward to planning my first cruise. How did you get an upgrade, did you have to request it, or did disney upgrade you automatically. Is it better for me to book a Category 12 and wait for an upgrade. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter