•.•´¯`•.• Jennie & Tan's Wedding PJ for September 18th 2014 at DWP and LSS

Chabelis

Earning My Ears
First things first!

Wedding Day Details

Date: 18/9/2014 (or 9/18/2014 for the Americans here)

Invited Guest Number: 85 (expecting 60-70)

Ceremony Location: Disney’s Wedding Pavilion

Reception Location: Living Seas Salon at Epcot

Dessert Party Location: Terrace des Fleurs at Epcot

Traditional Vietnamese Tea Ceremony: At DF’s Parents House (approx 2 weeks prior to the wedding date TBD)

Joint Bachelor/Bachelorette Party (gathering with family & friends doubles as a meet-n-greet style thingy): Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island

Officiant: Renee Silverman

Photographer: Regina Hyman

Honeymoon: Europe (Germany, Paris and Amsterdam)

Ive finally decided to start our planning journal! Im fairly new to this site, Ive asked a few questions here and there but DF and I really havent had a whole lot of time to dedicate to this website so we havent had much of a chance to introduce ourselves properly yet.

My name is Jennie, Im 35 years old and Im born Australian with my mum being (approx) 5th generation Australian and my dad is German. DFs name is Tan, hes 33 years old and is Vietnamese.

Both of us live in Melbourne, Australia. We met in March of 1999 and have been best friends pretty much since we met! We've been together around 11 of those years so this wedding has been a loooong time coming to say the least.

We first knew about each other before we met, which was through a string of very early National Basketball league forums of which we were both fans of rival teams. After a while we decided to meet through mutual friends and hit it off as friends almost immediately!

When we eventually got together we were already great friends so everything else just came naturally. Our parents all have a great relationship with us and our partners so it certainly makes things that much easier.

My first meeting with my DFs mother was funny and adorable, it was at their house at about midnight, she opened the door and he introduced me as his girlfriend. She replied with Oh my god, shes beautiful!!! I was kind of shocked and embarrassed from this unbelievably warm reaction at first but then we slowly got to know each other and found the entire family so welcoming they felt like part of my own family, and witnessing each others siblings grow up just enforced that feeling.

9468b6cf-d364-4fce-a0b9-7a0ae2cbbe54_zpsf0dba55e.jpg

One of our very first photos together. Please excuse the terrible 90's fashion!

I have loved Disney ever since I was a little girl, we had the “Wonderful World of Disney” show every Sunday night that I watched religiously. At about age 6 I asked my mum if we could go to Disneyland together one day and there and then promised me that she’d take me one I graduated to high school. Silly her.. She’d thought I’d forget!

At age 11 I mentioned to her out of the blue “It’s not long now is it mum?” She replied with confusion “What’s not long now??” I explained how I hadn’t forgotten her promise. With shock and not wanting to break her promise she went into overdrive and saved long and hard until she could finally take us to Disneyland.

My mum and dad also wanted my little sister and me to meet our family living in Germany. So a little delayed in year 8 rather than 7 (I was 13), we went on an around the world trip which included Germany and the west coast of the US. When we eventually arrived in Disneyland I was standing at the gates listening to the announcements and broke down in tears, I was finally there!!!!

Tan and I had always wanted to go to the US together. I wanted him to share the same joys I had when I went to Disneyland, and he was desperate to finally see an NBA game. So in 2007 we agreed to go on the holiday of a lifetime, we took a 7 week vacation throughout 6 states!

We went to Disneyland first, it was amazing! I was finally back after 15 years and I finally got to share that amazing feeling I had about this place with Tan when I was a young girl. We spent about 6 days in Disneyland and CAP and it was better than I remembered!

We had also decided to go to WDW for the first time, we spent 6 days and it was one of the most amazing experiences we could share together (besides the rest of the vacation!) and we were determined to return one day.

In 2011 we were able to get the money together to return for a 2 week vacation. We spent a few days in Vegas, but the rest of the time was dedicated to WDW! We spent 8 days in WDW and the rest around the Orlando area. We barely slept and spent about 16 hours a day either at a park or around the Downtown Disney area when the parks were closed.

We couldn’t get enough!

Tan+and+Jennie+in+front+of+Castle.jpg

Us in 2011 at WDW!

There has been talk of getting married for years but there has always been something else happening in our lives to take up our time, we didn’t have the money and to be bluntly honest we had no idea what we really wanted to do or where to have it. The past two years we started talking a lot more seriously about it, but we were still stuck for where.

Both Tan and I don't have a whole lot of family living in Australia and much of our family that we really wanted to attend all live internationally. We came to the conclusion that having a wedding in Australia made it more difficult for those that we really wanted there, so very early on we decided we were going to get married overseas.

Between the two families there were rumours flying back and forth about where it was going to be. Our first and original choice was New Zealand, but based on the people that we were inviting New Zealand was still going to be too far for the majority of people to travel.

The next choice on the list was Germany, being half German I have a number of older relatives that live in Germany and would have difficulty travelling long distances, it also cut back the travel time for a big number of people from Tan's side of the family that we wanted to invite. And really, what girl doesn't want to get married near a real castle??!

neuschwanstein.jpg

We wanted it to be somewhere near Neuschwanstein Castle but it was going to be too difficult.

Unfortunately there are a number of problems associated with that choice. Some of the major reasons we decided against going through with it, was that Tan has never been to Germany and even I have only been there a handful of times, so organizing it was going to be a monumental challenge.

We also simply did not have the money to travel anywhere that wasn't local to us to plan it all, so wherever we were going to have the wedding it was going to be sight unseen. Although my dad speaks German and I have relatives that do, neither Tan nor I speak fluently enough to plan a wedding.

It was just turning out to be nearly impossible to do and we decided that if it was going to be this difficult to organize, then there is a pretty big chance that there would be massive issues on the day of the wedding, this is something we did not want. I am a huge perfectionist and that just wasn't going to fly with me.

We were back to the drawing board and discussing possibilities again. In the end it came down to why we decided against having the wedding in Germany. It was simply too hard to organize somewhere halfway across the world when we weren't familiar enough with the place, we hadn't seen the locations and didn't speak the language. Basically we went for a place that had the complete opposite.

I remembered meeting a girl at MK that had just been married, and started wondering if Disney actually did weddings. I did some research and low and behold I find out YES they did weddings! And awesome weddings at that!

It seemed the logical choice that we get married in a place we love so much, it has a special place in our hearts and it should solve all the travel issues the 2 families were facing. Not only did Tan have a lot of family that lived in the US and Canada, but my family from Europe weren't too far away either! It was a great central location for everyone.

I mentioned it to Tan and he fell in love with the idea immediately!! From the moment we decided we knew we still had a huge task ahead of us, but we wanted to have plenty of time for people to get organized because for many it was still going to be a long way to travel for a wedding.

We decided the date should be mid-September, it would keep the costs down for us, it gave everyone plenty of time to plan the trip and give us time to plan the wedding. We have been flipping between the 17th and 18th for a while, but we’ve managed to settle on the 18th due to our photographer being the only one that already had a booking for the 17th.

I hope you enjoy our first few updates, Tan has said he'll join in soon to add a few things and I'll update again soon with some more weddingy details! princess:

20110227-IMG_0633.jpg
20110227-IMG_0723.jpg

Are we the only ones that go stupid trying on all the fun hats??!!

Signing on!! So much of your day is similar to my (hopeful) day - fall (we're shooting for October 2014), guest size (expecting 60-70) and dessert party! I can't wait to watch you plan!

You and your DF have such a great story and I'm envious of your global families! Sounds so cool!

Can't wait to see more!

Congratulations! And welcome!! I look forward to seeing your plans progress! You look like a very sweet couple, I love the photos of you both in the hats....so cute! :goodvibes

Thanks for your feedback guys!

nicki - I was thinking to go for the 16th, I'm glad I didn't now! I didn't want to clash with anyone else, our planner said the 18th didn't seem too popular at that point in time. :)

elphie - That sounds really similar! Great minds? :) The main reason we went for LSS is because we wanted the dessert party in Epcot, herding people that have had a few drinks is like herding cats. :rolleyes2 The closer the better!

charlie - We have this weird obsession of trying on countless hats and getting photos with them on... I'm pretty sure we're up to about 50 by now! :joker:

I'll post another update soon. :cheer2:

I don’t want to go too far off topic, but before I start adding more about our DIS wedding, I probably should add a post about the engagement. I think it flows a little better from introductions to wedding planning!

There was talk for quite some time about our wedding so the engagement itself wasn't really a big surprise. I knew it was coming, I just didn't know exactly how and when.

Tan had been organizing the ring himself, I really had nothing to do with it. The only involvement I had was getting my size for him and trying on a few different designs and shapes to give him an idea what styles looked like on my hand. The rest was up to him.

On the day Tan proposed (it was Satuday the 10th of August), I had work until 4pm. We had planned to go see a movie after I finished work and I asked him to book the tickets. Tan came to pick me up, and after we drove out of the parking lot he told me that we weren't going to the movies at all, that he didn't book tickets and that we had a two hour drive ahead of us. This would have been fine if I hadn't had a big bottle of water to drink about 30 minutes prior to getting in the car! :rotfl:

So we were on our way and I was crossing my legs for the next two hours. We drove past the city and were headed north at this stage. I was pretty confused and he had mentioned so many places he wanted to visit with me I really had no idea where we were off to.

It was about two hours later that we were driving through dark bushland with lots of kangaroo and wombat crossing signs, Tan reassured me that we were almost there. If he had intended to abandon me, I told him that if he left me by the side of the road now I wouldn't be able to find my way back so he didn't have to drive me any further anyway. :p

We drive into Daylesford, which is a small country community and tourist area. It has beautiful rolling hills, farmland and bushland and is extremely beautiful. It's quite dark by the time we get there so we couldn't see too much at that time, unfortunately.

Lake+Daylesford.jpg

Lake Daylesford

He stops at from what I can see is a tourist centre and tells me to not look! I do my best to not peek, he returns to the car and drives off again. About 15 minutes later we arrive at a small homestead with beautiful gardens and a lovely old shack in the middle of the garden, and he announces that it's a bed and breakfast!

Bullarto+Outside.jpg

Where Tan Proposed

We make our way to the shack and enter. Inside it has ultra-modern conveniences with a rustic feel. The bedroom and lounge are combined living spaces, in the lounge is a cosy sitting area with a gas fire. Beyond the bedroom is a small kitchen and bathroom with a waterfall shower and huge spa bath!

It is absolutely gorgeous! It's small enough to be cosy but large enough so you're not tripping over each other. He mentioned to me that he had breakfast organized and dinner was already booked, I'm wondering what I did to deserve all this, it’s not like it's my birthday or anything!

Bullarto+inside.jpg

Inside the Bed and Breakfast

Bullarto+Fireplace.jpg

The Fireplace

For the next couple of hours we unpack, relax and play clash of clans together (an iPhone game, in case you were wondering) and then get ready to go out to dinner. Immediately before we're about to leave, Tan stands by the fire to warm himself, and I follow just to get that last bit of warmth before we head outside into the icy cold.

Just when I thought that there were no more surprises, he showed me that there was one more that he had in store! He got down on one knee with the ring box and proposed to me right in-front of the fire. It really couldn't be any more romantic, I was so thrilled. :lovestruc He had everything planned perfectly! Of course I said "YES"!!! And after some really beautiful and romantic things were said by him, and a really beautiful moment was shared, we left for dinner.

Tan had dinner booked at a place called Kazuki's, which has an amazing modern Japanese/French style fusion menu. It was like nothing I've ever tasted before, it was truly amazing! Even the shellfish, which I'm not normally a fan of at all was amazing, fresh and tasted superb! My favourite of the night was the beef tataki with anchovy, radish, potato and yuzu.

Kazukis+Tataki.jpg

The glorious Beef Tataki!

The next day I showered up and Tan cooked me an amazing breakfast with egg, bacon, tomato, toast and salmon. It was delicious and he did an awesome job! Tan is an amazing cook. I am very lucky! :)

After breakfast we drove to a day spa and he had a couples full body massage and facial booked for us. Ninety minutes later, I was feeling like melted butter and we left and drove for about fifteen or so minutes to our next destination. Nestled in amongst the dense bushland was a chocolate mill!

I am a huge chocoholic so this was a fantastic end to an amazing weekend. We stopped and I had an amazing hot chilli chocolate, we watched a chocolate demonstration and purchased a box of their chocolates. Which were so good.. so very, very good. I actually wish I had some now.

chocolate-mill.jpg

OMG CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was truly an amazing 24 hours and I couldn't have dreamed of anything more romantic. He had everything planned perfectly and I can't wait to marry this man! :lovestruc

On the way home we called our parents and told them the good news. Naturally everyone was ecstatic! It has been a long road, but as they say "Anything worth doing is worth taking a really long time to do it!”

On the following Saturday we had dinner with the two families announced that we were to get married in WDW. As I said in my last post we both have a lot of family living in Europe and the US so when our families heard it was going to be in WDW they all were soooo unbelievably excited! Not only could they go on a fantastic vacation but they also could have a big family reunion!

I hope you enjoy the read and next post I'll be back on topic! I promise! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter