‘Friend’

deno

EPCOT Addict
I have quite a few gripes about our recent trip but the most annoying of them all was being called ‘friend’ about 20 times a day by cast members.

‘Have a magical day ‘friend’’
‘Welcome ‘friend’’
‘Excuse me ‘friend’’

Anyone else noticed the complete overuse of this or was it just grumpy old me??

It was like being in some weird sci-movie eg Westworld with some robot referring to me as ‘friend’ with a vacant look and fake smile,

It’s clearly handed down from corporate as how to address people so what can you do? We noticed it and it was very artificial but not much point getting upset about it.

I guess it's an American thing. In the UK 'mate' is perhaps equivalent.
But yes, I also find this trend of treating strangers as if you know them well rather irritating. There are a few 'salesmen' (and it's always men) who have scuppered any chance of a sale because they assumed they could treat me as a pal rather than a customer.
The three examples in the OP would (to me) be better without the 'friend' addition.

But then I'm an old-fashioned, grumpy, non-PC old git, so :confused3

We were there for 3 weeks two months ago and didn’t hear it once 🤷‍♀️ Everyone we spoke to in the parks and at the restaurants in the resorts were all really friendly and genuine. Nothing felt forced and most of the time they were the ones initiating the conversation with us and wanting to know more about us and how our trip was going.

At the end of the day, it’s a gender neutral term designed to be more inclusive so I wouldn’t be particularly bothered if a CM said it to me when we visit again in a few weeks time. I’d rather be called “Friend” than continued to be called “Princess” as a grown woman (which still happens quite a bit in the parks) as I find that more condescending than be called “Friend”.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s a new thing because we heard it everywhere across all parks last couple of weeks.

This other thread has since been closed, but everything you ever wanted (or didn't want to LOL) know about the change is in it. :D

Link to thread

Yes, it's new.

Disney is trying to acknowledge gender variations/fluidity by addressing everyone with a gender non-specific form.

In case you're wondering about America otherwise, calling people "friend" is common only if someone is a personal friend, and you are referring to them rather than speaking to them. Unless you're a member of the Quaker faith, that is. For them, it can be a form of address for strangers, though typically only during church services or events.

Lots of us Yanks, I expect, consider this new Disney-speak as peculiar as you posting here do.

Disney is trying to acknowledge gender variations/fluidity by addressing everyone with a gender non-specific form.
It's a worthy aim, but most of the time is just an unnecessary extra word. If I look at someone and say "hello" I don't usually add anything else (unless they have a gun when I'll add "sir" :scared: ).

It sounds to me that someone has issued guidance on terms that can be used when needed but it's been interpreted as terms that must be used. Law of unintended consequences, etc. :)

It's a worthy aim, but most of the time is just an unnecessary extra word. If I look at someone and say "hello" I don't usually add anything else (unless they have a gun when I'll add "sir" :scared: ).
:rolleyes1
It sounds to me that someone has issued guidance on terms that can be used when needed but it's been interpreted as terms that must be used. Law of unintended consequences, etc. :)
Not being a CM, I don't know but suspect it's a directive as often as the OP and others have reported "friend" being used.

Avoiding gender-specific terms and inquiring what a person's preferred pronouns are (he/she or they/them) upon meeting someone are the new concerns of some Americans.

Disney, as ever, is on the leading edge in this regard currently.

We noticed it on our recent trip too - " friends please fill in all the available space" etc.

I had read that Disney were starting to use gender neutral terms so I wasn't particularly surprised.

I think the only thing that is sad is that in the same article I read that CM's would not be allowed to address children dressed up in Princess dresses as " Princess". I know when my daughter was little it was one of the highlights of the holidays for her!

I noticed they said “Of Course” a lot when you said thank you, nearly everyone we spoke to!

I'd rather they say what they used to say in most instances...

"Welcome folks...."

"Scan your magicband folks"

"Fill in all the spaces folks"

Sounds much more natural. The cast members are not my 'friends'. Well, one of them is but that's not the point. And he doesn't like the whole 'friend' thing either BTW.

Not that it matters to me at this point, I don't think I'll be heading back there for quite some time.

I decided to think of this rather familiar term similarly to CMs who play characters identifying their roles as being "a friend of <character>."

We're all "friends of Disney" is how I regard this. Thus, friend used in this manner doesn't seem so inappropriate to me.

I have quite a few gripes about our recent trip but the most annoying of them all was being called ‘friend’ about 20 times a day by cast members.

‘Have a magical day ‘friend’’
‘Welcome ‘friend’’
‘Excuse me ‘friend’’

Anyone else noticed the complete overuse of this or was it just grumpy old me??

It was like being in some weird sci-movie eg Westworld with some robot referring to me as ‘friend’ with a vacant look and fake smile,
I'm an American. I live in the Midwest and it's what teachers call young children under the age of 7. It's especially used in pre-school for kids who are around 3. I find it to be incredibly infantilizing and it really bugs me.

similarly to CMs who play characters identifying their roles
They also tried to make Galaxy's Edge 'in character' initially, but that didn't go down too well with the 90% who aren't Star Wars fanatics.
This 'friend' thing might stick, but I'll not be surprised to see (hear?) it being de-escalated in due course.

They also tried to make Galaxy's Edge 'in character' initially, but that didn't go down too well with the 90% who aren't Star Wars fanatics.
Perhaps we're misunderstanding each other. I don't perceive the relevance of this to what I meant.

I may not have been clear. I meant character CMs who are asked off-the-job what they do at Disney. That is traditionally expressed as "I'm a friend of <character>", meaning they portray that character.

It's not required they do so as I understand it but is typically done to "preserve the magic" that the characters met in the parks are the actual character.

We have perfectly good ways of addressing people in the US just like in any other country. We don't need to reinvent the wheel.

I did correct a DVC rep who referred to me as a "friend" by simply saying "call me [ first name]." I think Mr [last name] would have felt too formal for the situation since they used their first name and were approximately my age.

But I did appreciate that the 20-ish registration/desk cast members did call me Mr [Last name] consistently.

If I was female, I would have said "call me Mrs. Travers " to see if they would have gotten the reference. But I have a weird sense of humor.

Perhaps we're misunderstanding each other. I don't perceive the relevance of this to what I meant.

I may not have been clear. I meant character CMs who are asked off-the-job what they do at Disney. That is traditionally expressed as "I'm a friend of <character>", meaning they portray that character.
Yes, I missed that aspect even though I had heard about it. Apologies.

But I'll stand by my main point, which is that Disney has in the past 'decided' on certain CM-visitor interaction protocols which have been met with less customer enthusiasm than they expected.
Disney are flexible/adaptable, and do a lot of feedback questioning, so this particular 'directive' could change.

In my corner of the US I noticed 'friend' make its way into the preschool teacher vernacular about 7 or 8 years ago and it has trickled up as my kids have gotten older. Last year it became common in our grade school, so I'm not surprised to hear about it at Disney.

I don't care for it and don't know why they can't say 'pal' or 'folks' if they want a neutral term. At least those terms are reminiscent of Disney culture. Or maybe just 'hi' and leave out the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter