“Certified” fan to use on ship

Henlady

DIS Veteran
I have a new 5 inch plastic fan with attached usb cord. Is this type acceptable for use onboard in stateroom? I have seen elsewhere about it needing to be certified, What does this mean

I have seen elsewhere about it needing to be certified, What does this mean
It means having someone (the head engineer?) inspect and approve the device onboard. Take it to Guest Services and they'll handle that for you. But if it runs off a USB I don't think that's required, only if it's electrical (plugs into the electrical outlet).

We are cruising with Disney for the first time in March.

I see their official statement.

• The following electrical appliances will be collected for inspection by the Chief Electrician and if approved, will be returned for use onboard the ship.
    • Baby Monitors
    • Humidifiers
    • Portable fans
    • White Noise/Sleep Machine
We always use a white noise machine. Do I need to package it separately or label it in anyway? Or do they just rummage through our luggage looking for these types of items? If its a popular brand does that speed the process up(assuming they've been cleared before).?

We are cruising with Disney for the first time in March.

I see their official statement.

• The following electrical appliances will be collected for inspection by the Chief Electrician and if approved, will be returned for use onboard the ship.
    • Baby Monitors
    • Humidifiers
    • Portable fans
    • White Noise/Sleep Machine
We always use a white noise machine. Do I need to package it separately or label it in anyway? Or do they just rummage through our luggage looking for these types of items? If its a popular brand does that speed the process up(assuming they've been cleared before).?
All luggage is scanned (like at the airports). If you have room, place it in your hand carry at the top. They can question it as soon as it goes through the machine. If it is checked luggage and your luggage doesn't show up when everyone else's, Guest Service probably has it for you to open and inspect the device.

It means having someone (the head engineer?) inspect and approve the device onboard. Take it to Guest Services and they'll handle that for you. But if it runs off a USB I don't think that's required, only if it's electrical (plugs into the electrical outlet).
Not sure that it having a USB plug makes any difference. It is being plugged into the ships electrical system.

Last edited:

I take a small fan on every DCL I go on. I put it in my checked luggage with no box or marker or anything. The suitcase is typically delayed more than the other suitcases for the room so be prepared for that. I will still get the suitcase sans fan (usually just before dinner but put dinner clothes in another suitcase so you're not going in your swimwear lol). The fan is usually left in my room that evening either during or after turndown service. It's a 10-inch Honeywell 3-speed wall socket (non-USB) fan. Knock on wood but so far, I have not had a cruise where it was confiscated and not brought to my room later that night.

I purchased a small usb desk fan for our cruise and just plan on putting it in my carry-on bag for boarding so if they need to check it, it's right there.

Curious: If a device is confiscated because the Chief Electrician does not approve it, is the item returned after the cruise? Or is it gone forever?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter