• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

10/29 KonaCafe

PaDisneyCouple

DIS Veteran
Date: 10/29/2006
Location: KonaCafe at the Polynesian (our first time setting foot on the grounds)
Arrival: So early, we wandered around before checking in. Checked in around 17:50
ADR's: 18:10
Wait: We were given a beeper, but only had to wait about 5 minutes.
Server: Maria. Our servers name was Maria. 'Twas fine we both do say. In every Disney way, that day. (read it again, and hum along...)
Atmosphere: A very open eatery, on the 2nd floor of the Poly. This was the day after the time change, so perhaps that was why it seemed so dark there.
Beverages: A Strawberry-banana smoothie for DW, and an Orange smoothie for me. Could have been blended longer, as it was nearly impossible to pull them up through the straws. I kept ending up with large chunks plugging the far end of the straw.
Food: For starters, DW had the crab cakes. There was nothing especially memorable about them. In a word, "average". She followed with the filet mignon. It was cooked to perfection (med-rare was ordered, it was pink in the middle). One complaint: it was very salty. I started with the pot stickers, which seemed a little toasted/crispy on one side. Next came the shrimp and scallops entree. The 3 scallops were the diameter of half-dollars, served with a creamy wasabi sauce. It was an excellent combination. And not too strong. The 3 shrimp were about 3 1/2 inches long. They were served, tails on, encrused in a coconut breading. A soy sauce accompanied them.
Desert: I was stuffed by this point, and asked to skip desert, but Maria would have none of it. So, I nibbled on the white chocolate cheesecake she brought. She seemed genuinely surprised that I didn't eat it all. DW had the creme brulee. It had bananas in it, and was very large. Average taste.
Noise: our table was in the nook near the entrance, which probably contributed to the noise factor, which was off the charts. We think Chef Mickey's was quieter. Probably not the best choice for our last Disney meal.
Again: probably not. We wanted to try it, and we did (and we're glad we did). Had we paid out of pocket, this meal would've been $104.60.

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter