10 day forecast is making me nervous!

I think we had a shower almost everyday during our 2014 trip. They didn't last too long, and it helped bust the heat so that the evening hours were quite comfortable. We usually go in August, and as others have said, you'll probably be glad for a brief shower (emphasis on brief) as it will cool you off. On the other hand, my brother was at Epcot this past week and he said the heat index was 117 :scared1: Lol, he said it was supposed to cool off this next week--with heat indices only in the 90's, so bring your coat :beach:

This is one time when I'll say that the 10-day forecast is probably right. We live only 2 miles from the Castle and this time of year there are brief thunderstorms nearly every afternoon. They pass quickly and people just carry on.
This is the person to listen to. I think 2 miles would qualify as expertise on WDW weather patterns :thumbsup2 And by the way OKW Lover, I'm jealous :stir:

So we're not quite at the 10 day forecast point yet for our trip, but it's coming up very soon. So I peeked at the 10 day forecast to get an idea of what the weather might be like and it's like 10 days straight of "Thunderstorms". I know a rain shower is typical for Florida, but is it really like thunderstorms most of the day in August? I guess I'm hoping to hear from people who have successfully traveled to WDW in mid-late August and not been terribly affected by the crazy weather! Anyone? :-)

Everyday, its werid, but its also kinda cool to watch. Closes some rides but its like being a kid playing/walking in the rain.. its either that or that heat. Knowing this helps you be prepared, you wont be surprised.

Edit: Like someone else said, the only thing to watch out for is hurricanes, that would change everything

I've learned to try to run into the biggest store if possible. You could be there a while. One of the very best safari rides I ever had was in a downpour. I would never leave a park just because it's raining.

See OP, you'll be making memories!
Every time we go on Star Tours, we come out to rain/storms. Every. Single. Time. I can't tell you how many times we've been trapped in their dump shop :laughing:

Every time we go on Star Tours, we come out to rain/storms. Every. Single. Time. I can't tell you how many times we've been trapped in their dump shop :laughing:
OMG YES! This only happened to me once, but it was awful. People were not going outside and of course the ride kept dumping more guests into the shop. I was politely asking this guy to move and let us pass. He refused, acted like I was forcing him to go out. He was extremely rude. I just wanted to get out of there, I didn't care about the rain and it was getting ridiculously crowded. Finally a CM made people create a path so those of us who wanted to could exit. That should have never happened.

We go for a couple of weeks every August. I really don't check or pay attention to the weather forecast this time of year. I just expect it to be hot and rainy with some thunderstorms thrown in daily.

OMG YES! This only happened to me once, but it was awful. People were not going outside and of course the ride kept dumping more guests into the shop. I was politely asking this guy to move and let us pass. He refused, acted like I was forcing him to go out. He was extremely rude. I just wanted to get out of there, I didn't care about the rain and it was getting ridiculously crowded. Finally a CM made people create a path so those of us who wanted to could exit. That should have never happened.
Lol, I think I ran into that same guy at the Frontierland Railroad station :lmao:

We're both teachers, with 3 students. We ONLY go in July/August.

Yep, it rains in the afternoons. Some years a lot, some not so much.

So we bring ponchos and hope not to use them.

The good thing is that a real rainstorm will empty out the parks!! You and your ponchos will see much shorter lines.

You can't change the weather, so plan for it then roll with it.

My forecast also was a whole week of thunderstorms too. But it wasn't so bad. There was at least one downpour a day but many of those were short. You just have to be flexible with your plans, and have a go-with-the-flow attitude. The downpours even gave some flexibility in how we used our FastPasses!

I actually look forward to the dramatic central Florida weather. Last year, I went on a trip where there was no thunderstorm, and I really kind of missed it.

The only place where the thunderstorms were kind of annoying were at the waterparks. They need to have a large margin of error, for obvious safety reasons, and the weather only allowed brief short windows where the water attractions were open before they'd have to be shut down again.

With a stalled system in the Gulf the next couple of days in Orlando will have more rain than normal. But wont be a washout. They are bands of rain that come and go.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 11
It's been very rainy SW fla this year. It started earlier this year and it's been raining quite often and Heavy!!! That was after the drought we had .. so who knows, lol.
Our August trips ... we take our $2. Ponchos with us .. and just go with the flow. Happen to like the rain.. it clears people out lol
Have a great visit OP... you re at Disney!!!!

You can't control the weather so why worry? DH and I go most every September, and though I do check the weather, it's mostly to keep an eye out for a potential hurricane delaying our flight. Once we make it down to Florida all is good. We are on vacation at Disney and always have fun no matter what the weather is. Hope you have a great time!

You're going in August. Yes its likely to storm daily.
Most of the time it's nice with a passing down pouring thunderous storm mid afternoon and then nice again but you cannot ruled out an all day on and off rain.

The next few days it's likely it will rain most of the day. Stalled tropical system.

It's these pop up non-tropical low pressure systems that stall so close to shore that can really make some washed out days.
We've lived where this has happened near Gulf, and they're upon you with little warning, as they form fast. (not usually dangerous, but never the less, heavy prolonged rains.)
Some pass rather quickly, others stall and dump rain.

It's Florida. There's no such thing as a 10-day forecast!

Yeah really the 10 day forecast in Florida is best for seeing long term tropical development trends. Unless we are talking about a pop up gulf hurricane, they usually can see them coming off the coast of Africa well in advance even of ten days out. At ten days they can make a good guess as to how the storm will steer, but still not with 100% accuracy. They have even gotten better at forecasting gulf forming hurricanes a week or so out. Pretty much, otherwise, it's all the same, every day: high 88-94, humid, good chance of afternoon thunderstorms. :)

Thanks to all those who took the time to kindly share helpful answers! :-)

Don't freak.... we've gone twice in August. Once for ten days in early August and it didn't rain once. It was hot and crowded. The second trip was the last week in August. It was classic Florida in August. Rain showers about 4pm, done by 7. Only once did it rain most of the evening.

We are going 8/23 and I'm just praying for normal weather!

OMG its summer if FL. It rains late afternoon most days in the summer time. Embrace it dont let it phase you or stop doing whatever you wish. Walt and his crew will have a bio dome ready soon :)

Don't freak.... we've gone twice in August. Once for ten days in early August and it didn't rain once. It was hot and crowded. The second trip was the last week in August. It was classic Florida in August. Rain showers about 4pm, done by 7. Only once did it rain most of the evening.

We are going 8/23 and I'm just praying for normal weather!
Hi Aurora! We will be there August 27. Praying for normal weather too, but if not, that's ok. At least we'll be in Disney!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter