11 Year old DD eats like a mouse

brentalex

DIS Veteran
I am very torn about the Dining plan. Because she is 11 she gets charged as an adult. I am not sure if she will eat 38 dollars of food a day. She can get by on a bagel, a piece of pizza, macaroni and cheese with some snack thrown in. She will never want anything on the adult menus at sit down restaurants. We will be staying for 9 nights, but really only there 8 1/2 days, getting there around 9pm the first night and leaving at noon the last day. The rest of the family would easily eat the 38 dollars a day, but it just seems like I would be wasting the money on her. Then there are the days when we eat on the fly all day. We would rather be at the parks then have to worry about a big meal. I was on the phone yesterday with a CM who very nicely tried to convince me to buy it, but I said no. I currently have a room only AAA discount, bought tickets last year from ticketmania and have over 600 is Disney rewards from the Visa card. Part of me says the dining plan makes sense, but with my DD it seems like Icould be wasting money. Do any of you have any experience with children charged as an adult, but eat like her? Thanks

I can't answer your question about your light eating daughter, but something else in your post caught my attention.
You said: "Then there are the days when we eat on the fly all day. We would rather be at the parks then have to worry about a big meal."
If your family does not enjoy taking the time out of park touring for a relaxed meal, the Dining Plan may not be right for you. A TS meal averages about 1 1/2 hours of your time. Unless you would use the TS credits you choose not to use on those days you want to eat on the fly by going to Signature (2 credit) meals to use your credits, it may be a waste for you. Just a thought.

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you. But I am very interested in seeing others opinions. My son is 10 and we are going in June. I am also trying to figure out if we will do the dinning plan or not. I'm leaning towards doing the plan mostly because we want to do 2 character dinners and Boma, so I think we will still come ahead. I'm considering paying out of pocket for a few kids' meals for him and that may allow us to add another character meal. I haven't sat down with pen and paper and menus yet to see how it will all play out.

I am exactly the same way as your daughter. I'm 15 but have a lot of digestive problems that don't let me eat too much. My family has never done the meal plan when I was too old for the children's menu, but for the last few years my mom just explains my problems and they always allow me to eat from the children's menu when I feel like I can't eat too much. Disney is very understanding to things like that. I'm lactose intolerant and many times they have to change my order all around but they are still happy to do so. I would suggest maybe to just use the dining plan for the rest of your family and allow your daughter to eat as she pleases.

I'll chime in... we are going in October & our son is 11. He also does not eat 38.00 worth of food a day LOL... I'm thinking I may pay for a few children's meals for him & using the extra meal credit towards our visit to a Signature restaurant.... He will eat counter service & snacks, plus something for dinner, so we are going with the plan... we may even split his adult portion with our younger DD & save her credits.... I think overall, it will be worth it....

even w/a child who ordered children's meals, yet was charged as an adult, we felt we came out ahead of the game on the dining plan... but we enjoy buffets, all-you-care-to-eat meals, and HDDR (all at which dd would be charged as an adult whether she ate two bites or two plates)... at the sit-down "menu" restaurants, dd was permitted to either a) order a children's meal (yet get the adult appy and dessert if she or we were so inclinded) or b) mix and match adult/children's menu (i.e. at lecellier she ordered the filet mignon w/kids pasta instead of risotto)... we felt we got our money's worth, even when she was eating chicken tenders and mac/cheese...

do the math and see how it comes out... menus w/prices can be found at www.allearsnet.com :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter