$12,000 for 8 day vacation at Poly

JackDiznee

Mouseketeer
On the trip reports board, MelindaM reports she spent this on a vacation for 3 people... and had a bad time.

I hope one of her friends on the DIS asks her to call a DVC guide. She is so upset she never wants to return to WDW. I would suggest it to her myself, but she must feel worse now after some of the reply posts I read.

Poor MelindaM! If I had done this, I don't think I would have ever returned either. And I'm sure she doesn't want to hear what she did wrong at this point. We spent $5000 on our first trip, I think, even with free airfare. But we had a GREAT time. So glad I've learned a lot since then.

Someone should have told her to call a DVC Guide beforehand--that's 160 points for 41 years of much better memories. I'm sorry, but to me, and perhaps, most of us, that is simply too much money to pay for a vacation at WDW. While I oftentimes truly feel sorry for people who make first-time mistakes (like our neighbors who rented a van for $500 and only drove it to and from the airport), it's difficult to symapthize for someone who could afford to spend $12,000 on one-week at WDW in a Concierge room. At some point, common sense has to kick-in.

I Really want to question her on this. First of all can you really spend that much (OK, I guess you can) However, even if I did spend that much I would not be telling everyone how much I spent. I mean I know we are all good people, but she sounds like she could be an easy mark!

Just out of curiosity I put in the grand plan in concierge room at the Poly for 6 nights next June for 2 adults and 1 13 year old. It came out to $8,222.

I don't know. Sometimes people are great fiction writers on these boards. ;)

I know none of the background if there is any on "Melinda" or her $12k WDW trip. I do know that if I ever "spent" 12k on 1 vacation that I would be heartsick no matter how "good or bad" a time I might or might not have had. And, honestly, I agree with PamOKW, 12k might be a bit of a stretch. But even if I did it I would be too embarrassed to admit it. I certainly wouldn't be shouting it from the rooftop.

Why do these people spend $12,000 on ONE vacation when they could have paid off a DVC membership and had paid for most of their vacations for the next 41 years.

And people think we're crazy for buying into DVC.

As one who came down pretty hard on MelissaM, I have to say in her defense that while 12k will get you into DVC it won't feed you or fly you or get you in the parks, so let's remember what DVC does and does not do for us...otherwise I am in pretty much total agreement with everything said here and over on that thread...

Paul

While I agree with the sentiment of the thread, and I would never do it, it seems very conceivable that one could spend $12,000 for a week at Polynesian. I just put in a 7 night trip beginning in 10 days under the deluxe magic plan for four adults (that's what they seemed to have if I read the post correctly)--it was $8900. Depending on where they might have flown from, another $1400 in coach airfare would be conceivable. Add in ground transportation ora rental car for another $200 or more, then add in parking at the airport back home (another $100 potentially or at least that much for a cab to and from the airport). We are now up to $10,600. Add in snacks and souveneirs averaging $30 per person for eight days--that's another $960. So, we are pretty close to $12,000, of which approximately $5000 was for the room according to the quote. Lots and lots of cash!!!!! DVC does, indeed, look better every day.

FWIW, I never set store in "I've Got an Axe to Grind" first-time posters. They just stir up trouble with their kvetching and never stick around to become members of the community.

hi: some people absolutely feel the need for a travel agent to take care of all the little details. i remember allowing a ta to book our first vacation to wdw in 87 because i wasn't sure (and also ignorant) of being able to do it myself. other people won't be happy no matter what they do. maybe she had unrealistic/higher expectations for this trip. it was a shame she was disappointed, but now she's a bit wiser.

Obviously a combination of poor planning, unreasonable expectations and bad luck. This is the first time I've heard such negative things about the Concierge at DVC so would assume the events of last week had at least something to do with it. The everything included all day programs are indeed a rip off. No one can do that much or eat that much. It's much like a buffet where your eyes are larger than your stomach.

It seems that God compensated some people with more money than common sense. For 12 grand, I would have done more checking than take the lazy way out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter