12" trimmer recommendations

123SA

DIS Veteran
Can you recommend a 12" portable trimmer? I currently have a fiskars 12" portable trimmer. I need to replace it. I have never liked it because the measurements are off -- when I try to cut a piece of paper in half, one is always larger than the other. also, a 4 1/4 inch cut is common for me and you kind of have to make a guess for that measurement.

I am obsessive about making sure that my photo mats are cut perfectly. I often use the perfect layers system and an exacto knife, but it would save me time if I could find a cutter that I can work as consistlenty as perfect layers.

Any suggestions?

I have tried several 12 inch trimmers... the Fiskars, as you said, cut crooked. I had a Cutterpede, but didn't like that it had to snap down each time to hold the paper. Same with the Zision. I have the CM trimmer which cuts straight and nice, but the blade tends to slip out of place frequently for me. I currently use a Carl rotary -- it's the smaller one. It cuts 12x12 but has a small footprint so it's very portable.

I think I've tried just about every major trimmer out on the market except for the pricey and rare Genesis, lol.

Oh, and I also have a big rotary Fiskars, which is nice but very bulky, and also needs to be snapped down. When I am doing fast, short cuts, I hate wasting time of snapping the guide down and pulling it back up.

I agree, the fiskars is junk. I got a CM one recently and LOVE it! Yes, the blade comes off if you pull it down too far (it is how it gets on, after all!) but it cuts so smoothly and straight-LOVE it!! Highly recommend!

I love my Carl® 12" Professional Rotary Trimmer! And the best thing is that they have several decorative blades for it too!!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my CM 12" straight trimmer. :love:

I love my CM 12" straight trimmer, and I've just got the wavy one as well which is great for jazzing up boarders.

I love my Zision. It is a cute neon green and pink to. You can get fairly reasonable with a coupon also at J's. :thumbsup2

I have the Carl trimmer. I got it for trimming pictures, and use it for everything now. I just got some of the decorative blades - they are great.

I have a very bulky Fiskars one that I LOVE. It never slips, always cuts even and is the one of the best investment I have made. The only draw back is that it is very bulky but by far my favorite. (mine doesnt snap down like others have mentioned.)

I love my CM trimmer as well. The blade only comes off on one side I am pretty sure so always keep the blade on the same side as the expandable ruler and you should not have any problems. I have yet to have mine come off. It is nice to know that the blade can be replaced so easily!

As a beginner I haven't invested in too many tools. I've found my quilter's ruler, mat and rotary cutter (not the same as I use for fabric of course) work like a charm.

Now I must be the only one, but I LOVE my Cutterpede!!! I have a Fiskars and an Ionic Studios trimmer, But hands down, my Cutterpede is my baby!!! I broke the ruler arm of & am going to buy a new one I love it so much!! It is sooo easy to cut straight!!!

Good Luck!!

I have Fiskars, Zision, Carl rotary, and a large Fiskars rotary. For paper, the best by far is the Zision (although I don't like the swing up bar, I'd rather it lift like the Fiskars or swing to the side). It cuts cleanly and evenly (as long as you keep the cutting valley cleaned out) I DETEST the Carl that I have. The bar doesn't lift at all, so you have to slide everything in and every single cut is crooked, even holding the bar down with even pressure. The paper also does not line up properly on the pull out ruler. I honestly think that people adjust to the tools, so what works for one may not work for the other.

BTW, I will only use a guillotine cutter for photos...the rotary cutters have been too unstable and the slide cutters can sometimes tear the emulsion surface rather than cut it, esp on photos printed at home. I have a much cleaner result with the CM personal trimmer for photos.

I have a very large, old guilotine type of paper cutter from years and years ago. I use it all the time without any problem for scrapping. It really isn't too portable though.

Carl here too and I love it. The fiskars cheapie one is the worst! Oftentimes, however, I will just opt for an x-acto blade, straightedge, and my cutting mat...

CM's 12" trimmer. I have both. One cuts straight and the other cuts wavy. Yes it will come off if you go too fast and go past the "speed bumps". But I love them both.

katelynsmommy2001 said:
Now I must be the only one, but I LOVE my Cutterpede!!! I have a Fiskars and an Ionic Studios trimmer, But hands down, my Cutterpede is my baby!!! I broke the ruler arm of & am going to buy a new one I love it so much!! It is sooo easy to cut straight!!!

Good Luck!!

I have a cutterpede, too, and that is my favorite by far! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter