18% Gratutiy

You know what they say...I've never gotten a job from a poor person. Its america, if your job isn't cutting it fine another one...or go start your own business. A server can make as much or more than a teacher, nurse etc...work in a good restaurant in a decent sized city and you can pull six figures and no education needed.

LIke someone said, guess that throws out the mere IDEA that diners supposedly could dispute the automatic 18% Service Charge.

So, yes, the 'suits' apparently do think the public is stupid and the union leaders that negotiated this change must think we're stupid as well.

There are a LOT of very nice places to eat off-site - good steakhouses, reasonably-priced sushi places like Orlando Sushi House (as opposed to the Japan TS options...), etc. I think we'll be expanding our horizons on future trips :teeth: .

Will I renew my DDE? I don't know. And it's not because Disney has mandated an 18% Service Charge while calling it a "gratuity".
It will be because they think I'm too stupid to know the difference.

I'm definitely thinking about NEVER leaving more than 18%. Disney thinks that's what their servers should get? Well, I guess so - that's all they will be getting from *me*.

Does anyone know if the food courts at Port Orleans, POP and All-Stars have been removed from the DDE list for next year? Oh, and what's the word on the YackandYeti?

:sad2: ,
agnes!

You complain about the 18% becoming 12% or 15% because you have to tip out the bartenders, bus persons, etc. Look at these people as your employees. They are as dependant on tips as the servers are. You obviously have no idea what it takes to run a business. Someone has to pay the lease, the light bill, repairs, light bulbs, toliet paper, etc....payroll tax, health insurance, unemployment insurance, wages, credit card fees, as well trying to recoup their original investment......the list goes on and on.

I know this is way off topic...sorry. It's just not as simple as some want to make it.

Not complaining, simply pointing out where the tip goes. As far as them being MY employees, not likely, we work together as a TEAM of employees. Its not MY business, I am an employee. Obviously, you have never been a server, just a patron. I have a very good idea of what it takes to run a business, tyvm, and skimming from the tips of servers is not a way to run a good one. As I said previously, many places DO NOT skim, but SOME places do, and that is illegal as well as unethical. I also disagree, it is simple, just tip your servers in accordance to the 15-20% rule.

And as for the person who knows servers who bring in six figure salaries, please, where do they work? A lot of us would like to know:idea: ...

Not complaining, simply pointing out where the tip goes. As far as them being MY employees, not likely, we work together as a TEAM of employees. Its not MY business, I am an employee. Obviously, you have never been a server, just a patron. I have a very good idea of what it takes to run a business, tyvm, and skimming from the tips of servers is not a way to run a good one. As I said previously, many places DO NOT skim, but SOME places do, and that is illegal as well as unethical. I also disagree, it is simple, just tip your servers in accordance to the 15-20% rule.

And as for the person who knows servers who bring in six figure salaries, please, where do they work? A lot of us would like to know:idea: ...

Obviously, you are wrong. I have worked as a server and have owned my own restaurant.

You know what they say...I've never gotten a job from a poor person. Its america, if your job isn't cutting it fine another one...or go start your own business. A server can make as much or more than a teacher, nurse etc...work in a good restaurant in a decent sized city and you can pull six figures and no education needed.

Wow, clears that up nicely. Sorry, was hoping for more of a "real" knowledge of a "real" person getting that kind of money, not a generalization. It seems kinda Urban Mythy...

Obviously, you are wrong. I have worked as a server and have owned my own restaurant.

Were you a tip skimmer? Bet not. And if you had your own restaurant you also know how much the good servers REALLY HATE IT when the lousy servers get tipped as much as they do, know I did.

Obviously, neither of us are very good at making obvious observations...at least about each other, lol.

Wow, clears that up nicely. Sorry, was hoping for more of a "real" knowledge of a "real" person getting that kind of money, not a generalization. It seems kinda Urban Mythy...

Sorry, let me make something up that you won't believe....if you don't think a good server can make six figures in a nice resturant your sadly mistaken. Maybe you should try checking out something other than applebees.

Sorry to be ruffling your feathers, but Applebees or Four Season, I don't see how someone, working part time, can make a six figure salary. Now, don't get puffy, I will concede its not impossible, tho its not going to happen to your average person looking to supplement income, not make a "career" out of it. You are not going to make that at Applebee's or Disney and if it is possible, its not easy to come around.

Were you a tip skimmer? Bet not. And if you had your own restaurant you also know how much the good servers REALLY HATE IT when the lousy servers get tipped as much as they do, know I did.

Obviously, neither of us are very good at making obvious observations...at least about each other, lol.

I took very good care of my employees.....and the lousy servers didn't last at my place.

Sorry, let me make something up that you won't believe....if you don't think a good server can make six figures in a nice resturant your sadly mistaken. Maybe you should try checking out something other than applebees.

Wow...such hostility over a thread about tipping! :rotfl2: :lmao:

I think I can add some of the real life examples you are looking for. I tend to agree that 6 figures for a server is just about unheard of. And please do not call me uneducated. I am a college professor with a Ph.D.

Here is my real life example. I have a close friend who is one of the country's leading restauranteurs. He owns and operates several very high end establishments. One of these was ranked one of the TOP FIVE restaurants for service in the country. In these highest of high end places, each server gets ONE table at a time, and there are three seatings. Thus a total of three tables on a night. The minimum bill for a party of two is $250.00. Thus, the least amount the server will bill out for the evening is $750.00.

So let's assume that on any given night, a server gets more than just 2-tops and that the parties order some alcohol or other items that would up the minimum bill. Just to make things easy, let's assume that, on average, a server bills out $1500.00 for the night. Figuring on 20% tips, that server is going to make $300.00 per night. At 5 nights per week, the server makes $1500 per week. At 50 weeks a year, the server makes $75,000 per year.

While this may sound like great money, the server still needs to tip out the bus staff and their assistant server (again...high end restaurants also mean more staff...more than one server per table), they also have tip out the bartenders and water boy (yup, at the highest end restaurants there is someone whose only job it is to make sure that all water glasses are full all the time). Thus, that $75K gets cut pretty dramatically.

So, while dpuck states that he/she stated specifics in an earlier post, I did not see anything with this type of specifics. If a server at one of the top restuarants in the country cannot make 6 figures, I don't see where a server could make that kind of money.

Let's put it to bed, shall we? :goodvibes

Hey Applebees is high class in my small part of the world..:banana:

Thanks to 3DK for a very succinct, well explained note on the subject :thumbsup2. I, for one appreciate it, as well as the tone taken when explaining, very nice, no flames:lmao: . And I like Applebee's too, just don't work there (tho they DO tip out, have a friend who does). Have a great holiday everyone, ttfn.

While this may sound like great money, the server still needs to tip out the bus staff and their assistant server (again...high end restaurants also mean more staff...more than one server per table), they also have tip out the bartenders and water boy (yup, at the highest end restaurants there is someone whose only job it is to make sure that all water glasses are full all the time). Thus, that $75K gets cut pretty dramatically.

So, while dpuck states that he/she stated specifics in an earlier post, I did not see anything with this type of specifics. If a server at one of the top restuarants in the country cannot make 6 figures, I don't see where a server could make that kind of money.

Let's put it to bed, shall we? :goodvibes

My mother works at a very busy Perkins and makes almost 70K a year. I know a server personally in chicago that make six figures. Thats where my data comes from, btw. Maybe a top 5 resturant isn't the best place to work if you only get 3 tables a night. Maybe something nice with a little higher turnover actually results in better tips? I could bring in over 300 a night when I delivered pizza for dominios. Also your 75K didn't seem to include their paycheck. While small it would add into that figure. I suppose we could go back and forth here, but my actual point was, servers do what they do because the pay is pretty good for the job. There a lots of jobs out there to be had if they decide its not for them.

Sorry to be ruffling your feathers, but Applebees or Four Season, I don't see how someone, working part time, can make a six figure salary. Now, don't get puffy, I will concede its not impossible, tho its not going to happen to your average person looking to supplement income, not make a "career" out of it. You are not going to make that at Applebee's or Disney and if it is possible, its not easy to come around.

I do believe your were trying to ruffle feathers so no need condesend now. Despite that, I never said that people at Disney or applebees make six figures or that they worked part time. It was just a statement that some do and that the poor server mentality was being abused. I have worked for tips and thus tip very well. I know the money is decent and the work is hard, but that is a choice they make. If your good at it you can make a decent salary and lots of it (although illegal not to report all your tips) is tax free!! With the mandated tipping however, the "tax free" tip goes out the window. Last I knew servers only had to report 8 percent for tax purpose and the rest was on the "honor" system. That may have changed in the 8+ years since I worked for tips.

Good point about the paycheck....although small, it does add up over the course of an entire year.

And perhaps there are some servers somewhere that make 6-figures or close. Neither of us is an expert on every restaurant in the country. However, those servers making money in that range are very few and far between, I am sure we can agree on that. Definitely the exception and not the rule.

I certainly agree with your earlier comment that it is easy for servers to make more than nurses or teachers. A sad statement on our society, I think. And for those who are servers...this is not a slam on you at all, but rather a comment on how those who heal us and educate us are not compensated nearly enough.

Good point about the paycheck....although small, it does add up over the course of an entire year.

And perhaps there are some servers somewhere that make 6-figures or close. Neither of us is an expert on every restaurant in the country. However, those servers making money in that range are very few and far between, I am sure we can agree on that. Definitely the exception and not the rule.

I certainly agree with your earlier comment that it is easy for servers to make more than nurses or teachers. A sad statement on our society, I think. And for those who are servers...this is not a slam on you at all, but rather a comment on how those who heal us and educate us are not compensated nearly enough.

I think you echoed my point 100 percent...THANKS!! I can't add anything to make it any better.

Wow. I started this thread and never thought it would turn out like this. I just wanted clarification on the e-mail but a lot has been discussed that makes me think about this more and more.

This is evidently a very passionate topic for a lot of people and I must say I'm becoming more impassioned about it too. I don't frequent the disboards as often as I used to, only occasionally. But I wonder after reading the last response reported from Disney if anyone has thought of contacting the Florida Office of Consumer Affairs or the Florida State Attorney's Office to see if this is really legal to do and still classify it as a "gratuity" or if they will have to change the term to service charge or if they can limit this policy only to DDE customers and not have to apply it across the board to all table service customers. What if a customer crosses out the 18% and writes in a lower amount and a specific total and charges the meal to their credit card. Earlier it was pointed out that if you Disney changes the amount back after you sign the receipt they have committed credit card fraud. How will that play out in the media? How would the FL Office of Consumer Affairs or State Attorney's Office handle that kind of issue? How would the State Banking Commission deal with something like that?

If you pay with cash and left only the total discounted total plus what you felt was a reasonable tip, would the managers, servers, or some new bouncer types chase you out the door demanding that you pay more? Would they throw you out of the park if you refused to pay it? What leverage would they have other than canceling your DDE?

A lot has been discussed about this being a concession to the union but what union? Everyone says that all CM's belong to one union and there is no separate union for the food service workers and that the food service workers didn't want this and that the other union members out voted them. This all may very well be true; I don't know because I wasn't visiting the boards much over the summer and didn't know anything about this situation until after I started this thread, but this doesn't make sense. If the food service workers were out numbered by the non-food service worker CM's, why would the non-food service workers care about where the gratuities come from for the food service workers? i.e., why from the DDE customers only, why not force the DDP customers to be presented with a bill for the tip on their meals rather than just excluding it from the plan and hoping the customer will know what they are expected to pay and be willing to pay it. Why not make it policy for all table service customers regardless of party size? I think the food service workers had more to do with this than they are being made out to have been involved with it. Certainly, the other CM's would have held out for something that would have benefited everyone, not just the food service workers.

Now one thing that I've been thinking about is this last reply from Disney that was posted, if our only recourse to dispute the 18% is to take it up with the manager, how will the servers feel if we DDE customers do just like Pete and others here have said and expect the highest level of service from them and complain when we don't get it? How happy will they be with this union if every customer using the DDE asked for the manager and told him/her that, "I don't feel the service was worthy of 18%, I think it was only worthy of 7%. The server should have done a better job if you're going to mandate that I pay 18% or you need to replace him/her with someone that is going to deliver that level of service." Now I know that most won't make that last statement because we all are just too nice to be that mean spirited to a complete stranger and cause them to loose their job over a few dollars (you can bet there have been a lot of nice people that used to work for big companies that have lost their jobs over a few dollars...think of all of those data entry jobs that got moved over to India because the pay over there is a "few dollars" less per hour than it is here in the U.S.) But what if we all did and the servers were constantly being humiliated in front of the manager and other servers and other customers by DDE patrons that said the level of service wasn't up to the standard that Disney was purporting it to be when they levied an 18% service charge. It would add an extra layer of stress to their day that they really don't want to deal with. If that happened often enough I suspect they would be asking Disney to change their policy pretty quickly.

I'm sorry to have gone on so much, but there has been a lot of things said that have got me to thinking and I thought I'd just cover them in one post while I "had the floor". Sorry if my views don't agree with anyone else's; I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but if you do, think about your right to determine your tip amount being taken way from you and receiving nothing in return. If Disney was going to make this change, they have had nearly six months to announce this change would be going into affect. Since that time I have renewed my DDE. Perhaps I wouldn't have paid $65 to loose my right to determine how much to reward my server when I dine at a Disney table service restaurant. Now I'm stuck with a DDE card and the decision of whether to just not use it and loose the 20% discount that I paid for and determine the tip amount or let Disney sit back and accept that I paid Disney $65 to allow them to have control of part of a significant portion of my vacation money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter