1st DCL Cruise - What Should I Try to Book Onboard?

MightyKwinn

Dynamite Gal
We are taking our first DCL vacation, 7-night on the Fantasy this spring. I'm so excited! What are your favorite onboard experiences to try to book ahead of time or once you are onboard (either as a family or just adults)? Party is me, DH, DD8 and DD5.

If there is SWDAS look for those activities for sure. DD5 might enjoy the (free) Princess Gathering and Frozen Gathering, or the ($$$) tea.

Here are the things we set up before our recent first cruise:
  • Princess and Frozen Gatherings for DD5
  • Mixology class for myself and DH
  • Palo Brunch for myself and DH
We could have done a Disney Junior Character Breakfast, but we had late dining and DD likes to sleep in, so we didn't want to be rushed in the mornings. Also, the Royal Tea Party was a little pricey for us.

We also could have scheduled a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique appointment, but were unsure if DD would want to do that, or when during the trip it would make sense. (She did end up being interested in the mermaid package after seeing other girls with the swimsuit and cover-up, so on day 5 we visited BBB and got put on an appointment waiting list. Sam from BBB called the next day and had been able to get DD an appointment on day 7!) If you know your daughters will want to do BBB - and especially if you will want two appointments at the same time - you can set that up ahead of time.

We are taking our first DCL vacation, 7-night on the Fantasy this spring. I'm so excited! What are your favorite onboard experiences to try to book ahead of time or once you are onboard (either as a family or just adults)? Party is me, DH, DD8 and DD5.
I recommend booking a Palo bunch and a Palo dinner. Since you have daughters, you should book the princess/Frozen gatherings. I also recommend renting bikes on Castaway Cay.

Pre-booking your Rainforest room pass can be helpful for busy cruises. One day passes can sell out. The rainforest room is an adults only area inside the Senses Spa part of the ship. It varies (but not for long once the Magic goes into dry dock) a little between ships but in general its a warm quiet area with different sauans of different temperatures, moisture levels and even scents. It also has public open air showers (wear a bathing suit) where you can experience different rain-style shower temperatures, settings etc. Some ships have the coveted heated tile chairs. You can order a 1 day pass through Gifts and amenities (you still have to do this over the phone, still waiting for this to be put online) before the cruise for around 18.50 including gratuity and the pass will be waiting in your stateroom. You can also just purchase one onboard the day you with to use it assuming they haven't sold out. They only sell so many passes per/day to prevent crowding.

I also recommend booking a placeholder for a future cruise. You'll get 10% off the fare as long as the cruise you book with it isn't during a blockout date, and you'll get a $100 or $200 stateroom credit (depending on the length of the cruise you book).

Do you have to pre-pay for the Mixology classes and Palo Brunch? I know we are planning on both as well. What about Jet Ski's at Castaway Cay? Should we book on the ship, once we know the weather for that day?

We book Palo (brunch and dinner), liquor tastings (mixology and one other), spa services, and any excursions we want. My boys aren't interested in the princess meets or BBB, but your girls probably will be. On our April Fantasy cruise we're doing excursions on our own and no spa (too expensive and sick of the upsell) so it will just be Palo and the liquor tastings! We have booked bikes on CC on our first cruise but it seems like they never sell out so have never pre-booked those again, but jet skis I would book in advance as that is a popular activity.

Agree with PPs. Definitely book Palo or Remy dinners or brunches at your earliest opportunity, which will be 75 days in advance if you're first time cruisers. If plans change later you can try to adjust those reservations once on board. If you're interested in liquor/champagne tastings, make those reservations immediately upon boarding since they cannot be made in advance. They accept limited numbers for each class and can sell out quickly. Check your personal navigator once you arrive at the port for the location to book those once you board. If you're renting bikes or other equipment on CC, I've never found a reason to do that ahead of time. As long as you're there early in the day, you should be fine. If you do decide to rent equipment in advance and the weather is bad that day, I've never had a problem with getting refunded. (Pre-booked CC excursions that are cancelled will be refunded automatically.) We haven't had to deal with meet and greets because they didn't exist when our kids we're younger (there was no ticketing for them when our kids were little!), but it sounds like those are a must-book ahead of time. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip - ENJOY!

If you're interested in liquor/champagne tastings, make those reservations immediately upon boarding since they cannot be made in advance.

This is not true. They are pre-booking those for spring cruises this year during activity registration online.

Thank you for this information auroraborealis! I was not aware of this and am very glad to know it.

It is a fairly recent change. A number of tastings are usually added on board as well, but this gives people a chance to prepare their schedule if they wish, and also gives DCL some idea of how much demand there will be for tastings on that particular sailing, while still allowing people the chance to pick things once they get on board, so it is a win-win.

The only down-side is for people who try to book in advance, find them all full and they panic that they won't be able to do them. Perhaps DCL could make it clearer that additional spots will be available once on board.

Palo brunch is always a good idea. My girlfriend still says it was one of her favorite parts of the last cruise!

Thanks for all the advice!!

Most all of the adult beverage tastings were booked up by the time I was able to get onto the booking website on my 75 day mark, but I did get DH & I into an Amari tasting (though it happens while we are still in port one day, still debating about whether to keep it) and got him alone in a Tequila/Margarita tasting - though I keep checking to see if I can join him! Does anyone know if I visit wherever they are making reservations for adult beverage tasting classes when we embark if there is a chance they are holding back spots in that specific tasting so I might be able to join him? Or is there a chance we'll be able to re-book into another one together? Also, does anyone know the last day to cancel a tasting without being charged?

I got kiddos signed up for all meet & greets with characters, Jedi Training, and the Disney Junior breakfast (does anyone have any opinions on that, yay or nay?). I also reserved them spots to get the Under the Sea package at BBB! That one will be a surprise, I'm so excited to tell them!

Thanks for all the advice!!

Most all of the adult beverage tastings were booked up by the time I was able to get onto the booking website on my 75 day mark, but I did get DH & I into an Amari tasting (though it happens while we are still in port one day, still debating about whether to keep it) and got him alone in a Tequila/Margarita tasting - though I keep checking to see if I can join him! Does anyone know if I visit wherever they are making reservations for adult beverage tasting classes when we embark if there is a chance they are holding back spots in that specific tasting so I might be able to join him? Or is there a chance we'll be able to re-book into another one together? Also, does anyone know the last day to cancel a tasting without being charged?

I got kiddos signed up for all meet & greets with characters, Jedi Training, and the Disney Junior breakfast (does anyone have any opinions on that, yay or nay?). I also reserved them spots to get the Under the Sea package at BBB! That one will be a surprise, I'm so excited to tell them!

There will definitely be additional tastings to be scheduled on board. I don't think they add additional spots to the existing tastings, but people do cancel, so you might still get an extra spot if someone cancels. As for when you can cancel, I know the ones on board can be canceled 24 hours in advance (sometimes less if you have a "good" reason, like illness). I'm not sure about the ones booked ahead of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter